Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the Japanese chorus in the Blue Oyster Cult cover singing Sore Sore Sore Sore? Translated doesn't that mean they're just singing 'yeah oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah GOJIRA"

According to the composer the choir is singing in Babylonian.

Bear McCreary posted:

For the choir, I wrote a unique text that was translated into Babylonian, one of the most ancient languages that scholars can reconstruct. This text is sung, in order, throughout the film, acting as a ‘Greek chorus’.

A Tribute to the Ancient Ones
Oh, Ancient Ones,
Those who first walked the Earth
With mighty steps
That shook mountains
And reduced cities of the unrepentant
To ash and stone
We make this offering unto you,
Of obedience, and gratitude.
With our bowed bodies
We clear a path at your feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

quote:

This text is sung, in order, throughout the film, acting as a ‘Greek chorus’. 
:worship:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Pyswagoras posted:

That would be really cool, but Mike Dougherty has tweeted connecting Godzilla to Leviathan. From Leviathan's description in the book of Job:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1067832518592753664

Yeah, I wasn't thinking biblical Leviathan. I was thinking Final Fantasy Leviathan.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bear McCreary loving rules - so much work put into this movie, all these little touches - it's pure labour of love on a huge scale.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's Bear McCreary known for? Those two tracks are extremely my poo poo.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have no idea but I’m watching Battlestar Galactica again and I noticed he did the music for that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

david_a posted:

I have no idea but I’m watching Battlestar Galactica again and I noticed he did the music for that.

Yeah, that's the big one. He did a similar thing with BSG, a lot of Arabic and Celtic influence, with the occasional Irish Gaelic lyrics. He's really, really good.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

Yeah, I wasn't thinking biblical Leviathan. I was thinking Final Fantasy Leviathan.

Ah, yeah. I mean, I don't disagree at all, I think Manda is more Leviathan-esque.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK

Detective No. 27 posted:

I believe he did the music for God of War. The one that came out recently.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, that's the big one. He did a similar thing with BSG, a lot of Arabic and Celtic influence, with the occasional Irish Gaelic lyrics. He's really, really good.

Yeah, his BSG work is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoUEgtPE3UU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJiqwdWOhz8

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Walking Dead, 10 Cloverfield Lane

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Arcsquad12 posted:

I figured Rodan would be doing his own thing but Ghidorah asserts his dominance and beats Rodan into servitude during the fight in Rio. Then Mothra runs cover for Godzilla during the DC fight by keeping Rodan occupied while Big G and King G throw down.

This is what I heard too. There's a very brief shot of Rodan about to attack Ghidorah, and I'm betting he gets bitch slapped pretty badly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bear McCreary did Battlestar Galactica as many have mentioned but I'd also check out his main inspiration for that show, composer Paul Ruskay.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bear McCreary did Battlestar Galactica as many have mentioned but I'd also check out his main inspiration for that show, composer Paul Ruskay.

Eh, I really don't buy that at all. Ruskay's work is, like, ambient electronica. His stuff isn't melodic at all, whereas McCreary relies heavily on leitmotif. Ruskay's stuff would sound more in place on Star Trek TNG or something like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Timby posted:

Eh, I really don't buy that at all. Ruskay's work is, like, ambient electronica. His stuff isn't melodic at all, whereas McCreary relies heavily on leitmotif. Ruskay's stuff would sound more in place on Star Trek TNG or something like that.

Homeworld 2, not Homeworld 1. There is a big difference between the two soundtracks and it comes down to how Ruskay developed the Hiigaran, Vaygr and Bentusi melodies.

Vaygr battle theme best battle theme.

bondster
May 6, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Walking Dead, 10 Cloverfield Lane

Also Happy Death Day 2U

Most shocking thing about that film IMO

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wow, I haven't watched BSG in a while but this brings back memories. I never realized until this context, but those strings are extremely Ifukube, too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i don't think he's talking about the blue oyster cult cover, i'll be very surprised if that plays "throughout the film"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're also VERY CLEARLY singing in Japanese in the cover.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

They're also VERY CLEARLY singing in Japanese in the cover.

Yes and it sounds hella reminiscent of this
https://youtu.be/_KvseLO2apA

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Wow, I haven't watched BSG in a while but this brings back memories. I never realized until this context, but those strings are extremely Ifukube, too.

I'm getting my men. :black101:

Edit: This is also really cool, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEhlAA85_tY

Timby fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 28, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bear did the score for Human Target which is like 70% the reason I liked that show. The second season composer swap is some fuckin bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCkHqoEzoMc

Season 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLOD5FMspG8

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Cythereal posted:

We also know of a bunch with their Monarch code-names - apparently Mothra also gets one of these before she's properly introduced as Mothra, so some of these may be familiar faces as cameos:

Phoenix (this is Mothra)
Leviathan
Sargon
Abbadon
Baphomet
Methuselah
Bunyip
Kronus
Behemoth
Typhoon
Cipactli

guesses: Sargon is Kong (part of the name means King). Abaddon is the Skull-crawlers (Abaddon commanded an army of locusts) or Destroyah (Abaddon sort of translates as Destroyer). Baphomet is a devil figure, could be Ghidora but it's not a strong case. Kronus is associated with scythes, which implies Gigan. Typhon is probably the best match to Ghidora, multi-dragon-headed challenger to the king (of the gods, Zeus, or monsters, Godzilla).

I either don't know enough about mythical monsters or kaiju to make any more connections.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This folder is full of high res stills from the final trailer. https://imgur.com/a/12HnY7m

I love how much personality Ghidorah has outside of being malicious and terrifying. Hell, all the titans are expressive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In the realm of giant monsters and tokusatsu shows, has anyone seen the CGI Ultraman show on Netflix? Would anyone recommend it?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

In the realm of giant monsters and tokusatsu shows, has anyone seen the CGI Ultraman show on Netflix? Would anyone recommend it?

The human animation can be a bit stilted as you'd expect, but it's good. Action is good and it reveals a massive spoiler from the manga that wouldn't be gone into until the most recent chapter.

It picks and chooses what it adapts but is really good as its own thing. You don't need to have a working understanding of any previous series, just know that most of the bad guys who show up are a reference to SOMETHING and have something that calls back to them in a vague way.

The original Ultraman series wasn't a very deep lore show so the main thing you need to know is that Bemular was the very first monster fought in Ultraman and the reason why things got kicked off there, and Hayata lost his memories of being Ultraman at the end of the series.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Saw this trailer on the big screen before Avengers - it was the Over the Rainbow one and my god - I cannot loving wait.

It's gonna be so goddamn GOOD.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Out of context, this shot makes it look like Rodan is really happy to be flying with his air force bros.

Friends forever!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I dont understand why they would shoot at them when in G'14 it's been proven like, multiple times in the movies, bullets don't do poo poo.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Vintersorg posted:

I dont understand why they would shoot at them when in G'14 it's been proven like, multiple times in the movies, bullets don't do poo poo.

why do ants sting you when all the other ants that tried didn't kill you and just got squashed?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Because ants don’t have armies going back with intel.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I imagine we're the equivalent to fire ants to Kaiju- not really life threatening but annoying if enough of them start stinging you. Killing them by the hundreds doesn't necessarily discourage the rest to stop either.

One time I was watching a ladybug crawl on my arm, when out of the blue it started chomping down on my arm with all its might. To me, it was barely perceptible, not even pain but like gently tapping my arm with something pointy. To the ladybug, though, it was trying to maul my arm like a dog mauling a rabbit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ladybugs don't bite. Asian Ladybeetles are the douchebag ones.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They are - we had a problem city wide with em nipping at you. I just want ladybugs who piss yellow on you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Because ants don’t have armies going back with intel.

Aren't ants a hive mind?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Vince MechMahon posted:

Aren't ants a hive mind?

It definitely does not live up to its portrayal in movies.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ants are eusocial but not literally psychic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The next time I go to the park I won’t find a trip wire made out of a thousand twigs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bee Movie 2: Now It's Ants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Antz 2: not a Bee movie. I don't know which is a creepier looking insect, Jerry Seinfeld or Sylvester Stallone.