Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Steve2911 posted:

Oh man, how traumatic must it be for your partner to dust mid-gently caress?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ140sv1BRo&t=32s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Bernie would have only snapped away 1% of the universe.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It would've been cool if he signal boosted the Mantlo family GoFundMe.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/embarassed-to-admit-this-but-i-need-help

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Finally saw the film, was awesome. Thor was still great in it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I know its pointlessly overthinking things but it amuses me that the whole plot hinges on "out of 14 million realities we only win in 1" despite the fact like five or six things happen that if they didn't happen would have fixed everything

like, even if Starlord had just not punched Thanos they totes would have won

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I know its pointlessly overthinking things but it amuses me that the whole plot hinges on "out of 14 million realities we only win in 1" despite the fact like five or six things happen that if they didn't happen would have fixed everything

no because u see...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They'd have gotten the glove off him, but the final battle in Endgame shows that Thanos still would've wiped the floor with them pretty handily without it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s totally wild that Strange says “we got to do things this way to save the universe!!!”, then causes the event that threatens the universe.

This has honestly got to be the dumbest sci-fi film of all time. Like what else even comes close?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I also liked how the scene where they talked about how Black Widow is totes dead for good no backsies seems like it was written directly to the audience while pointing to ScarJo's contract

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, the guy telling you that is like God of Time so I think that's the movie's way of telling you to just accept the premise(or not). It had to go this one way, that's it. Thanos was mostly right I guess, he was inevitable in like every single reality except for one.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is no reality in which Starlord isn't an idiot.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, the guy telling you that is like God of Time so I think that's the movie's way of telling you to just accept the premise(or not). It had to go this one way, that's it. Thanos was mostly right I guess, he was inevitable in like every single reality except for one.

Oh yeah I get that, which is why its more of a joking thing where I kind of just want someone to confront Dr. Strange about it and he admits he just hated Tony Stark

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

or, alternatively, he could be really dramatic and be like who said I stopped at Thanos? and set up a whole thing where everything had to happen that way explicitly so they could also beat the next big bad or whatever

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Looke posted:

Finally saw the film, was awesome. Thor was still great in it

I kept waiting for the training montage where he gets back into shape but they kept rolling with fat bearded thor and it was glorious, especially when he summons both weapons and has his glowing thunder eyes fighting Thanos

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My only actual gripe with the movie is more of a general MCU gripe which is that I wish they would loving stick with a lesson for Thor

Thor 1: You sacrificed your personal happiness to protect the realms and proved worthy to rule
Thor 2: You realize you do not wish to rule and wish to be normal
Thor 3: You are actually a super good ruler and your destiny is to rule
Endgame: ok nevermind you were never meant to rule you were meant to do something else

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really wish that when Thor got both Mjolnir and Stormbreaker near the end and he magically gets his armor put on him he could've gotten a magical haircut or something. Like, okay, Fat Thor is funny, but man, when poo poo gets serious near the end I wish he'd look a little less goofy.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My only actual gripe with the movie is more of a general MCU gripe which is that I wish they would loving stick with a lesson for Thor

Thor 1: You sacrificed your personal happiness to protect the realms and proved worthy to rule
Thor 2: You realize you do not wish to rule and wish to be normal
Thor 3: You are actually a super good ruler and your destiny is to rule
Endgame: ok nevermind you were never meant to rule you were meant to do something else

in that nyt interview w/ the writers that got posted upthread the writers said that ragnarock was only at outline stages when they wrote endgame so... whoops!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

he could've gotten a magical haircut or something.

he did though

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Steve2911 posted:

Oh man, how traumatic must it be for your partner to dust mid-gently caress?

Could be worse, the could come back mid-gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSzn1DAgWwE

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I thought they managed to keep Thor still looking like he hit really hard and was a major threat, even with the added girth. They pulled it off imo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I thought they managed to keep Thor still looking like he hit really hard and was a major threat, even with the added girth. They pulled it off imo.

Yeah big fat bearded nordic guy is a pretty well established genre of bad rear end in itself so its not exactly a stretch

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It'll be funny when he gets back into amazing shape and the Guardians give Peter even more poo poo about how pudgy he looks in comparison.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel it's some strange need to make Dr. Strange seem smart and all knowing like thanos did win in the war and Dr. Strange during the final fight is like "Stark my boy, this is as according to keikaku ".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

he did though

Really? I didn't notice it; I just noticed he still had the obvious wig of Sad Fat Thor. Still, I would've liked, like, Ragnarok-or-thereabouts Thor.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Can’t wait for the Asguardians of the Galaxy movie

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Waterfall Watcher posted:

I feel it's some strange need to make Dr. Strange seem smart and all knowing like thanos did win in the war and Dr. Strange during the final fight is like "Stark my boy, this is as according to keikaku ".

Yeah they tried to reinforce it with the sorcerer supreme being all "oh poo poo.. Steve did that? Here's the time stone I guess".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Really? I didn't notice it; I just noticed he still had the obvious wig of Sad Fat Thor. Still, I would've liked, like, Ragnarok-or-thereabouts Thor.

Yeah it was little and weird but like he got a Nordic braid for his beard when he decided to HAM

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, the guy telling you that is like God of Time so I think that's the movie's way of telling you to just accept the premise(or not). It had to go this one way, that's it.
That's super dumb though; you could write this character into any film.

Like at the end of some poo poo romcom, have Dr. Strange walk in from offscreen and turn to the camera: "EVERYTHING THAT YOU'VE SEEN HAD TO HAPPEN TO SAVE THE UNIVERSE. ALL THE THINGS THAT MADE NO SENSE WERE DELIBERATELY ENGINEERED BY ME."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's super dumb though; you could write this character into any film.

Like at the end of some poo poo romcom, have Dr. Strange walk in from offscreen and turn to the camera: "EVERYTHING THAT YOU'VE SEEN HAD TO HAPPEN TO SAVE THE UNIVERSE. ALL THE THINGS THAT MADE NO SENSE WERE DELIBERATELY ENGINEERED BY ME."

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

WHAMMIED! :(
I feel like I missed something in that a lot of people are hung up on some sort of 'alternate' thingy when the plan was to explicitly prevent alternate thingy.

Real Cap goes back, talks to Real Peggy (I know, loving communication?!), Peggy's like sure let's do this. Decades pass. Steve shows up on the bench.

How was this not heavily inferred by the events of the ending?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CBN_Shaggy posted:

I feel like I missed something in that a lot of people are hung up on some sort of 'alternate' thingy when the plan was to explicitly prevent alternate thingy.

Real Cap goes back, talks to Real Peggy (I know, loving communication?!), Peggy's like sure let's do this. Decades pass. Steve shows up on the bench.

In the rules that they established, there is no such thing as changing your own past. When Cap when back to Peggy, he created a separate universe. So it would then be impossible for him to age naturally and just show up that day on the bench, because he's not in that universe anymore.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 30, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

One interesting detail is that they mention Peggy having a husband but never show him.

Arguably its always been Cap hiding away

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One interesting detail is that they mention Peggy having a husband but never show him.

Which would mean Cap made out with his niece

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

CBN_Shaggy posted:

Endgame's rules for time travel paradoxes are different than other movies ("Back to the Future is bullshit"). It is impossible for the Avengers to create a paradox because they can't change their own past, anything they change will create an alternate timeline from that point that goes in a different direction from their own. He can't go back and talk to his Peggy because she already grew old and died without him.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nothing about Cap's character would ever suggest he's either cool letting her unknowingly work for Hydra or letting them continue their evil without interfering.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
How in the heck is Bucky not the Next Cap when he's the only Super Soldier left and was Steve's best friend / soulmate? Falcon is a cool dude but has zero superpowers and is basically like Iron Man: Leftover.

Also lol @ Bucky being reduced to "Guy With Gun" for the last 2 movies. Good thing you made him that fancy new arm, Wakanda!

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 30, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Which would mean Cap made out with his niece

Hey Luke made out with his sister

Its not incest if you dont know :eng101:

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

In the rules that they established, there is no such thing as changing your own past. When Cap when back to Peggy, he created a separate universe. So it would then be impossible for him to age naturally and just show up that day on the bench, because he's not in that universe anymore.

Right, He is not changing his past. He is changing his present, in the past. When they visit the 70s, Peggy has a picture of pre-serum Steve on her desk. That's it as far as prominently shown objects. I thought it was odd when I saw it, but when you have all the pieces, well?

They show you there is no consequence for interacting with someone 'out of time'. Tony met his dad, so he always met his dad. Cap got with Peggy, so he was always meant to be with Peggy. It was...inevitable.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

One other funny detail

I liked how a random secretary fingered cap and Tony as spies but genius of his generation Howard Stark didnt suspect something was up with a random dude in the top secret warehouse who had to look away and go ummmm before giving his name

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

CBN_Shaggy posted:

Right, He is not changing his past. He is changing his present, in the past. When they visit the 70s, Peggy has a picture of pre-serum Steve on her desk. That's it as far as prominently shown objects. I thought it was odd when I saw it, but when you have all the pieces, well?

They show you there is no consequence for interacting with someone 'out of time'. Tony met his dad, so he always met his dad. Cap got with Peggy, so he was always meant to be with Peggy. It was...inevitable.

Loki escaping with the Space Stone after New York, Cap fighting (and losing) to himself, Thanos dying in 2014 before collecting any of the stones... these are all things that always happened? They changed a bunch of poo poo in the past, but it wasn't affecting their own present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

Hobo Clown posted:

Endgame's rules for time travel paradoxes are different than other movies ("Back to the Future is bullshit"). It is impossible for the Avengers to create a paradox because they can't change their own past, anything they change will create an alternate timeline from that point that goes in a different direction from their own. He can't go back and talk to his Peggy because she already grew old and died without him.

Nothing about Cap's character would ever suggest he's either cool letting her unknowingly work for Hydra or letting them continue their evil without interfering.

The different timeline thing is coming from removing objects from their time without the intent to return them in a transparent manner. This is what they were avoiding by returning the stones, but doesn't really have any bearing on person to person interactions. I agree but Cap's probably got his hands tied. He can't change anything in his past, so he can't mess with Bucky or Hydra in a way that would break his past. If say they let Nick in on it, then he absolutely couldn't have come clean that he was in on it. Nothing subversive 'needed' to be done by Cap or Peggy though, everything did work out, at least ok, in the end.

Hobo Clown posted:

Loki escaping with the Space Stone after New York, Cap fighting (and losing) to himself, Thanos dying in 2014 before collecting any of the stones... these are all things that always happened? They changed a bunch of poo poo in the past, but it wasn't affecting their own present.

Loki has to pop back in to New York before Thor takes him to Asgard for Thor 2. The memory is there at the end of avengers 1. So sure, he's gone but he'll have to come back with the Tesseract. And he's also the god of trickery so maybe he just says "gently caress your space/time continuity I've got the tesseract." Thanos disintegrates a la Iron Infinity Gauntlet disintegration, but yes, he is still available from the perspective of the avengers to perform the events of Infinity war, should say Cap decide to pop back to Wakanda and pointlessly yell at Thor to "Aim for the drat head!"

CBN_Shaggy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 30, 2019