Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We don't know what their writing process looked like; maybe a lot of DS9 episode pitches started off way over-the-top and got hammered down into something watchable over the span of a couple days or even weeks. I'm sure part of it was them trying to one-up each other and make things more exciting for the documentary, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
open with the Rascals premise but its occurring on the enemy ship

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

lol but seriously posted:

yo what about this poo poo?

but the jem'hadar adopt the old ways and see the OG klingons as a fallen people. some meat on those bones, right?

What about the Jem'Hadar start worshiping Kahless

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CPColin posted:

We don't know what their writing process looked like; maybe a lot of DS9 episode pitches started off way over-the-top and got hammered down into something watchable over the span of a couple days or even weeks. I'm sure part of it was them trying to one-up each other and make things more exciting for the documentary, too.

I dunno this clip really makes it seem like they kind of just animated a writers-room stream of consciousness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmsaaD8Dt8Y

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
there's a transporter accident and vic fontaine gets infected by the programming of the wadi game. if he doesn't manage to do it in uhhh 48 hours, vic will be permanently corrupted. he assembles a team ---

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pick posted:

there's a transporter accident and vic fontaine gets infected by the programming of the wadi game. if he doesn't manage to do it in uhhh 48 hours, vic will be permanently corrupted. he assembles a team ---

oh are we wishlisting our ideal DS9 episodes now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
luther sloane trails odo and worf to risa (where they've been ordered to go "learn what fun is"), but there encounters his most powerful rival... lwuxana troi

e: this is a beachwear episode obviously

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 30, 2019

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Crisis Across Infinite Treks, in which Chris Pine's Kirk teams up with a pile of rocks, and Shinzon is bald even as a baby

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I dunno this clip really makes it seem like they kind of just animated a writers-room stream of consciousness

Pretty much, yeah.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Epicurius posted:

My plan for a new Star Trek is not to have any new Star Trek.

You're probably right, although not because it's impossible. It's just probably not possible currently. TNG did it the right way, by barely reusing anything from TOS in any recognizable form, but producers don't want that anymore.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My pitch for a new Star Trek show: The Spock Show. Spock is louder, angrier, and has access to a time machine. Whenever Spock's not on screen, all the other characters ask "Where's Spock?"

I expect it to be greenlit immediately

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pakled posted:

My pitch for a new Star Trek show: The Spock Show. Spock is louder, angrier, and has access to a time machine. Whenever Spock's not on screen, all the other characters ask "Where's Spock?"

I expect it to be greenlit immediately

I want a realistic down to earth show that is completely off the wall amd swarming with magic robots.

Oh wait, that was Discovery season 2

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My Star Trek

The federation has expanded far enough they are now exploring the gamma quadrant without the wormhole. They have The Dominions limited permission for exploration as long as they follow rules and aren't colonizing worlds. A new crew in which you are allowed one descendant of a TOS era character and one descendant of a TNG era character is exploring it, a side of it they never reached from the wormhole.

That's it. No overarching villain or plot. Maybe one develops naturally.

There just has to be a half Klingon half Vulcan character who is chill as hell.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

one descendant of a TNG era character

That's gonna be tough to only have one, a couple hundred years from now like 12% of the Federation's population is gonna be descended from Will Riker, Genghis Khan style

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pakled posted:

That's gonna be tough to only have one, a couple hundred years from now like 12% of the Federation's population is gonna be descended from Will Riker, Genghis Khan style

Ok how about their captain is descended from Riker's daughter Molly O'Brien

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

luther sloane trails odo and worf to risa (where they've been ordered to go "learn what fun is"), but there encounters his most powerful rival... lwuxana troi

e: this is a beachwear episode obviously

Can the whole episode have Baywatch - Passions spectrum production values and lots of warm sax? Intercuts of people playing holleyball and suntanning?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

non-negotiable post-ds9 trek canon:
-Romulus didn't explode, movies are dumb.
-Section 31 never really existed beyond sloan and some pals and any other show referencing it isn't canon.
-everyone is chill and pals.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

non-negotiable post-ds9 trek canon:
-Romulus didn't explode, movies are dumb.
-Section 31 never really existed beyond sloan and some pals and any other show referencing it isn't canon.
-everyone is chill and pals.

Second

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

-Deep Space Nine has moved entirely inside the wormhole for protection from a threat beyond spacetime, and now every episode is an aimless conversation without proper passage of time.

-Ezri copes with her joining by focusing on small things, and opens a miniature cupcake bakery on the promenade, "Ezri's Edible Creations." Her most popular variety, the Dotty Dax, is salted caramel with raktijino cream filling.

-There's thunderstorms like, all the time on part of the promenade and nobody is sure why. O'Brien has died several times trying to fix the problem, to the point Keiko and Molly have left up the little memorial altar in their quarters. Miles prays at it somewhat often.

-Tons of new guests have been non-Newtonian fluids, necessitating an enormous overhaul to the infrastructure of the station. Naturally, the moment it's complete the tap runs dry. Turns out there had been a briefly-popular fluid-being sex club called Splash whose owner had gotten mixed up with Orion mob lenders.

-Dogs visit the station every fortnight through a special program aimed at lessening depression in deep-space environments. One of them eats Bashir's teddy bear, leading to him having a season-long existential crisis. A mid-season episode finds him opening and closing the airlock whispering "soon." This is the A-plot.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Writers got excited about deconstructing star trek. That was great and all, but when you've spent twenty years deconstructing the thing you have to actually re-establish what it is. This is how you get the non-sensical speeches about federation ideals while giving WMDs to a lady taking over the klingon empire.

Basically everything now is about how federation ideals don't work, or how this event is the exception, how we have to compromise so we can save the greater idealistic federation, or how hard it is to make the tough choices. Those things can be good story points, but they have to actually be exceptions to work dramatically. You can't be having "In the Pale Moonlight" every episode and still seem sincere.

Either that, or you have to change what the federation is. Right now you've got this weird cognitive dissonance in the plots where the characters do lovely things but pretend like they're idealistic. Which... could also be interesting... except the show presents the characters like it agrees with them.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

T.C. posted:

Writers got excited about deconstructing star trek. That was great and all, but when you've spent twenty years deconstructing the thing you have to actually re-establish what it is. This is how you get the non-sensical speeches about federation ideals while giving WMDs to a lady taking over the klingon empire.

Basically everything now is about how federation ideals don't work, or how this event is the exception, how we have to compromise so we can save the greater idealistic federation, or how hard it is to make the tough choices. Those things can be good story points, but they have to actually be exceptions to work dramatically. You can't be having "In the Pale Moonlight" every episode and still seem sincere.

Either that, or you have to change what the federation is. Right now you've got this weird cognitive dissonance in the plots where the characters do lovely things but pretend like they're idealistic. Which... could also be interesting... except the show presents the characters like it agrees with them.

Okay, I hear this complaint a lot and it may have been valid for Season 1 Discovery, but what exactly have they been doing along these lines in Season 2?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Give me a Trek-branded the Shield, all scripts are the same but with Trek names (instead of Armenian mobsters, they're Orions, etc) and the same cast.

Making all the hard choices, all the time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Federation scientists have managed to duplicate the Caretaker's Array and use it to send ships on year long exploration and diplomatic cruises far beyond the reach of warp drives.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My Star Trek

The federation has expanded far enough they are now exploring the gamma quadrant without the wormhole. They have The Dominions limited permission for exploration as long as they follow rules and aren't colonizing worlds. A new crew in which you are allowed one descendant of a TOS era character and one descendant of a TNG era character is exploring it, a side of it they never reached from the wormhole.

That's it. No overarching villain or plot. Maybe one develops naturally.

There just has to be a half Klingon half Vulcan character who is chill as hell.

How about a half-Klingon, half-Vulcan?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Romulus destruction is not only not going away, but it’s going to have some involvement with the Picard Show apparently

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

For my ideal post-TNG relaunch, you could definitely keep doing stories about the post-9/11 decline of western civilization, but let's go back to the format of the Federation having its poo poo together and aliens being the stand-ins for all of our worst qualities.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the deal with O'Brian? Do fans like him? Is he a good character? I kinda get the impression there's some fandom memey stuff around him, is that more just because he ends up being the butt of a lot of plots?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The deal with miles O brien is it's a drat shame the writers didn't realize the potential comedy in having keiko and garak be bffs , which would have been a great foundation for some truly phenomenal b-plots

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

What's the deal with O'Brian? Do fans like him? Is he a good character? I kinda get the impression there's some fandom memey stuff around him, is that more just because he ends up being the butt of a lot of plots?

The deal is Colm Meaney is a great actor who's a lot of fun to watch. Especially in the first couple of seasons of DS9 he's acting circles around everybody except maybe Shimerman, Auberjonois, and Brooks. The character is also an everyman and he's very relatable, I think most people like him.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

For my ideal post-TNG relaunch, you could definitely keep doing stories about the post-9/11 decline of western civilization, but let's go back to the format of the Federation having its poo poo together and aliens being the stand-ins for all of our worst qualities.

Thank you.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxyclean posted:

O'Brien is liked by fans and repeatedly tortured by DS9 writers for the same reason: he's the closest thing to an everyman in the cast, generally considered to be one of the more relatable characters.

Because he was reckoned to be the most relatable character, DS9 decided to horribly torture him about once a season, because the audience would feel his misery the most.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

wow, xenophobic much?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DS9 S8 writing room: "hey wasn't there that one dumb book where Bashir fights S31 and eventually joins them to try to fix it from the inside?"
"oh yeah, poo poo why not, Bashir is head of S31"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hot take: those books are bad

Also iirc they break his legs and it ends with him in a coma so lmao woops

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Stick with medicine and keep the James Bond poo poo in the holosqueezer

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pick posted:

Hot take: those books are bad

Also iirc they break his legs and it ends with him in a coma so lmao woops

Yeah I'm not exactly arguing that they thought it through here!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Pick posted:

Stick with medicine and keep the James Bond poo poo in the holosqueezer

Why not both? Julian becomes a secret agent doctor, going undercover on high-stakes missions to covertly administer vaccines to populaces under authoritarian rule and stuff like that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Why not both? Julian becomes a secret agent doctor, going undercover on high-stakes missions to covertly administer vaccines to populaces under authoritarian rule and stuff like that

Let some prick in the galaxy just do his normal job good !! Cut a caramel boy a break

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is exactly the writers room equivalent of improv comedy. "Okay, shout out some ideas. I heard 'wormhole', and what was that in the back? 'Defiant'. Okay, we can work with that. *clears throat, gets in character* 'Hello, I'm Captain Nog! Of the USS Defiant!' 'Captain, we're being attacked!' 'Evasive action! Make for the wormhole!' 'Ba-ba-ba-baaaaaaa, baaaaa, ba-ba-baaaaaaa!'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate how star fleet intelligence just doesn't exist anymore, it's all section 31. It's just the federation's well known CIA.