Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Ruzihm posted:

Mutadone too!

Is it valid to raid Botany's supply? Still have to steal a syringe from medbay, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just ask chem to whip you up a lifetimes’ supply. It’s really easy to make.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ruzihm posted:

Oh yea I was wondering... is there a chance we could change the name of the "illegal immigrant" trait to "undocumented immgrant" or "undocumented"? I think it's actually more in the spirit of the actual mechanics of the trait anyway.

What about "stowaway?"

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

What about "stowaway?"

ooh, I like this and have a wonderful idea: stowaways spawn in a random locker somewhere in the station.

you're preparing to have another uneventful day as quartermaster when some rear end in a top hat kicks his way out of your uniform locker, screams, and flushes himself down disposals

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Still a pretty uneventful day. I mean, could have been a clownspider.

There comes a point where you're so jaded that only unique badmin fuckery is considered "eventful".

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 30, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

rndmnmbr posted:

Still a pretty uneventful day. I mean, could have been a clownspider.

There comes a point where you're so jaded that only unique badmin fuckery is considered "eventful".

well yeah but itd be funny right

bonus round: stowaway spawns in the captain's personal locker

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Stowaway spawns with the captain's spare ID in the locker. Captain is wondering where it is, then Captain Stowaway bursts out and runs away.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Had another where we had a wizard antag on cogmap1, and they took golems. I knew there was a wizard, but figured, maybe i could try to do my job. So i rush down to mining, and, as I reach engineering I see the wizard, and decide that its perhaps best to avoid him, as he makes his demands to the station for weed. So im running away, at first from the wizard and then from golems, and i get myself locked into medical. Another fellow, who I presume actually does have access, runs in and starts fighting the golems, and i decide to join in. The first 2 go down, with the only note being me getting hopped up on meth, but the third one...the third one became a problem.

See it turns out it was chlorine trifloride, meaning when we killed it, it exploded. I tried to stop drop and roll but it was simply too much fire, and so i burnt into critical before slowly dying in medical.

So it was a pretty good day, in all.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

dmboogie posted:

ooh, I like this and have a wonderful idea: stowaways spawn in a random locker somewhere in the station.

you're preparing to have another uneventful day as quartermaster when some rear end in a top hat kicks his way out of your uniform locker, screams, and flushes himself down disposals

this owns

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, this video comes out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haZ6mWxjlZo

So I go to check out the game, and the first thing I see is GoonStation.

Any advice for a newcomer?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Captain is the least important job.

Drink everything at the bar.

If you’re not dead at the end of the round you’re not playing it right.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

dmboogie posted:

I love it! This is now a thing. :getin:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

dmboogie posted:

Only if there is a decent chance the locker is locked upon spawn.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

J.A.B.C. posted:

Any advice for a newcomer?

the game has more of a learning cliff than a learning curve, the ui is kind of obtuse and inconsistent, and it's mostly a game about dying a horrible but hilarious death.

press F1 to ask admins about the rules or report people who are violating them, press F3 to ask mentors questions about gameplay, check out wiki.ss13.co for information about stuff and don't be afraid of being a newbie, new players make everything more fun for everyone around them.

once you get used to the basics just walk up to people and tell them you're new and ask if you can learn about whatever they're doing, they'll either be happy to teach you or if they're the traitor they'll put on a pretense of being happy to help you and then lure you off to a secluded corner and kill you.

i always recommend people learn how medical and engineering works as a foundation, the job you pick is just what you start with. anyone can pick up tools or a medkit or anything else and do anything. so an understanding of the health and medicine system and how to use tools is invaluable no matter what you settle on as your favorite play style.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 30, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Spy_Guy posted:

:woop:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

Oh yea I was wondering... is there a chance we could change the name of the "illegal immigrant" trait to "undocumented immgrant" or "undocumented"? I think it's actually more in the spirit of the actual mechanics of the trait anyway.

Shouldn't have anything related to immigrants, really.

Immigrants go to a place to live. No one goes to Space Station 13 to live.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spy_Guy posted:

Suggestion for a mid-round spawn option: Hidden inside a (pressurized) container sent into the Quartermaster's department like regular cargo shipments.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Suggestion for a mid-round spawn option: Hidden inside a (pressurized) container sent into the Quartermaster's department like regular cargo shipments.

This sounds awesome, too.
"Erroneous Shipment"
Bonus if you can get mixed in with other items.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Like regular cargo shipments, they should have a chance of being shot into cargo with deadly force.

Congratulations, stow away, you've just become the new QM.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Some poor sod started out in a loot crate inside an asteroid.

Now it'll only pick from survivable areas.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leal posted:

:thejoke:

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Spy_Guy posted:

Some poor sod started out in a loot crate inside an asteroid.

Now it'll only pick from survivable areas.

No don’t this is perfect

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I tried it out last night and spawned in EVA storage so I was able to RCD out!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I want to start in the captains inventory

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Start in someones backpack

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Leal posted:

I feel like “Poor Unlucky Bastard” might be more appropriate, or some randomized slightly disparaging job names like “Monkey Punching Bag”, “Clown Fart Receptacle”, “Chemist”...

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

I want to be an illegal alien, in that I am a martian who is wanted for space crimes

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Start option: deep fried in an antags stomach

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Vengarr posted:

It’s a really dumb thing that just fucks over new players.

Yeah, Instead of making it so an active harm-baton both stuns AND beats they could've just made it only stun when its got battery... or useless as a beating implement... or any number of less loving moronic solutions.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
it's an old thing that was meant to gently caress over the extremely common type of player who would join and roll security to go grief because gently caress goons. regulars would do it once and know better, drive by shitters would self own and get banned.

should probably be changed now that that's not really an issue.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 2, 2019

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
maybe make it so it stuns the both of you?

Randomize the stun time so its a coinflip who gets to stand up and pickup the baton next.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
nah it should work like every other thing in the game and do its thing on harm intent, we have way better logging and oversight to catch people who are only there to be poo poo. it was funny at the time but now it's definitely just a pointless thing new players trip over.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

0lives posted:

I want to be an illegal alien, in that I am a martian who is wanted for space crimes

But that's every martian

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I thought you just had to turn it off to activate beatstick mode

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Back in the day it used to hit you with regular harm intent AND stun you when you set it to harm which meant through the course of a regular arrest your average spacecop would wind up beating people to death which while its very on brand for cops isn't great for gameplay or anyone getting arrested.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The trick to getting arrested is call out on the radio that you're being beaten to death then cuff-flip into crit and hope the officer loses their job

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Isaac posted:

The trick to getting arrested is call out on the radio that you're being beaten to death then cuff-flip into crit and hope the officer loses their job

get thrown in the brig, burn yourself into crit by rubbing the lightbulb 100 times when nobody's looking, tell the HOS that the guy who arrested you beat the poo poo out of you

works every time

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

get thrown in the brig, burn yourself into crit by rubbing the lightbulb 100 times when nobody's looking, tell the HOS that the guy who arrested you beat the poo poo out of you

works every time

We would space well together

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
That's why you always keep a drop weapon on your person at all times. A small bribe to Detectives who actually do their job never hurts, either.

Of course, real Shitcurity would have just finished the job, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Also Godbless this idiotic, nigh-unplayable game about farting spacemen:

I just wanted to be a gimmick AI that spewed quotes from Midway's NBA: Jam. Instead, the station transformed into a basketball stadium, I got to promote Decirprevo products, and numerous crewmembers were obliterated by negative B-ball particles.