Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Tomahawk posted:

I've always used a pretty beefy PC for Plex but I've decided now is the time to invest in a NAS. I'm getting a Synology DS218+ which according to the Plex compatibility spreadsheet is capable of doing 1080p hardware accelerated transcoding with PlexPass. Is there anything else I should be aware of when selecting a NAS and hard drives to go in it?

This is what I use. I haven't had any problems at all. The drives I have are a little loud, so you may not want to keep it next to your TV. You have to manually install the Plex that does hardware transcoding instead of the Plex server software that comes on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
FYI a whole ton of non-effects films shot on Super 35 were framed for widescreen that was achieved by adding a matte in post, and their "fullscreen" DVD/TV releases just removed the mattes and maybe zoomed in just a little.

Back to the Future was like this, except for the effects shots which were cropped on the sides for 4x3. The first printing of the Back to the Future widescreen DVDs actually misframed a bunch of shots in Part II because they put the matte in the wrong place.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else experiencing this dilemma? I am really the only person streaming from my server which is a Synology DS 1515+. I desire to purchase more powerful computer equipment to be able to stream to a large number of viewers, but lack any justification for this expense. I could probably get away with it too since my wife doesn't keep a close eye on our finances.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

Is anyone else experiencing this dilemma? I am really the only person streaming from my server which is a Synology DS 1515+. I desire to purchase more powerful computer equipment to be able to stream to a large number of viewers, but lack any justification for this expense. I could probably get away with it too since my wife doesn't keep a close eye on our finances.

No.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Comcast’s bandwidth limitations that I don’t really care to pay to get around stifle any desire I have to be a Netflix for other people. I feel that high level Plex sharing is going to be the new Kodi box media/legal concentration sooner or later and they’ll be pressured into changing the software.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Comcast’s bandwidth limitations that I don’t really care to pay to get around stifle any desire I have to be a Netflix for other people. I feel that high level Plex sharing is going to be the new Kodi box media/legal concentration sooner or later and they’ll be pressured into changing the software.

There's already services offering paid monthly access to massive, shared Plex libraries and reddit has /r/plexshares which is public.

I personally only share out plex to my son and his family and use it for when I travel. I dabbled in setting up Kodi for people back when Icefilms was big but Mega shutting down caused a poo poo storm and that was the end of me offering help to family for things like that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s what I’m referring to, it’s brazen and public and people notice things like that.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If I want to host a Plex Server for friends/family and have them transcode as little as possible, should I just tell them to buy a Shield TV? I'm getting 750 Mbps up so bandwidth isn't the issue so much as CPU power consumption.

I currently have a couple people using Rokus, some with a Chromecast and one with an LG TV but even with settings maxed out they transcode sometimes. I use a Shield myself on my network that never transcodes anything unless it's got subs so I assume it'll be similar if they watch remotely.

I don't want to have to tell them to ditch their current devices and get a $200 (CDN) product just to make my life easier but I think it might be a good idea? I'm hosting Plex from my main daily driver PC so the performance hit is annoying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nairbo posted:

If I want to host a Plex Server for friends/family and have them transcode as little as possible, should I just tell them to buy a Shield TV? I'm getting 750 Mbps up so bandwidth isn't the issue so much as CPU power consumption.

I currently have a couple people using Rokus, some with a Chromecast and one with an LG TV but even with settings maxed out they transcode sometimes. I use a Shield myself on my network that never transcodes anything unless it's got subs so I assume it'll be similar if they watch remotely.

I don't want to have to tell them to ditch their current devices and get a $200 (CDN) product just to make my life easier but I think it might be a good idea? I'm hosting Plex from my main daily driver PC so the performance hit is annoying.

You can tell them to get Roku Premiere boxes for $40-$50 (depending on the model) and at worst they'll probably have to transcode any DTS (maybe) or HD audio streams, but transcoding audio is like nothing for modern day hardware. The Roku boxes should be able be to direct stream video no problem.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Will Roku direct stream MKV files without issue as well? I know it's just a container for MP4 but because of cross-seeding and time constraints I'd rather not handbrake convert all content

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nairbo posted:

Will Roku direct stream MKV files without issue as well? I know it's just a container for MP4 but because of cross-seeding and time constraints I'd rather not handbrake convert all content

It will. Here are the codecs and containers that the Roku platform supports: https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Audio+and+Video+Support

Even if it didn't support MKV, the Plex transcoder remuxing MKV into whatever compatible container for a client device doesn't really require much CPU resources either. The only thing that really requires beefy-ness is the process of video transcoding.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nairbo posted:

(MP4 is also a container. h264 (etc) encoded video stream is what they both could contain, for example.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Container compatibility and audio support aren't really things to worry about basically. Audio support becomes more of a thing if you want untouched 5.1+ audio streaming to your AV equipment and stuff. But usually, most people just connect Roku boxes directly to their HDTV, so surround sound audio support isn't that big of a deal.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nairbo posted:

Can you do hardware transcoding, either via QuickSync or NVENC (and actually AMD's version appears to work fine as well on my crappy A8-pro-whatever thing in my SFF PC.) It'd seem like that's a satisfactory solution, where your CPU doesn't take the hit and instead the users have to deal with slightly more visual artifacting (which isn't your problem or concern, you're giving them free content after all.)

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've got some spare PC parts laying around for possibly making a Plex server.

Would an older i5 (Around 4-5 years old), integrated video, SSD, 8GB of DDR3(?) RAM do just fine for things? I don't share too much because my upload is poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes. Unless you're talking about the absolute worst case of mobile i5s, it should be able to handle at least one 1080p transcode (if not more). And if you're willing to pre-transcode media as needed, or run clients that don't need transcoding, Plex needs hardly any CPU at all.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

Would an older i5 (Around 4-5 years old), integrated video, SSD, 8GB of DDR3(?) RAM do just fine for things? I don't share too much because my upload is poo poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video - Sandy Bridge came out in 2011 so if it's newer than that you should be good to go.

And as the other poster said, if you don't need to transcode video your streaming potential is nearly unlimited. Make sure you set the power savings modes to be as aggressive as possible so the thing draws almost no power when you're not actually using it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

For comparison up until recently my Plex server was a i3-4330. It commonly had 3-4 video transcodes going at once and handled it no problem thanks to QuickSync. Prior to QuickSync, 2 transcodes was pushing it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to have a C2D server and it was generally fine for stuff in the house.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I installed the Trakt plugin for Plex. Is it going to start looking through everything I've watched and update that or is it just things going forward?

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I installed the Trakt plugin for Plex. Is it going to start looking through everything I've watched and update that or is it just things going forward?

Click Plugins - Trak.tv - Sync -Full to do a catch-up.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Decairn posted:

Click Plugins - Trak.tv - Sync -Full to do a catch-up.

I don't see a "Full" option anywhere. The "Sync - Collection" seems like it might be something, but that's Didabled right now. Is there a guide to all these options? I don't know what most of them mean.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
quicksync can probably do ~8 1080p transcodes at once even on 4th gen cpus

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dren posted:

quicksync can probably do ~8 1080p transcodes at once even on 4th gen cpus

I bought an HVEC-enabled NVidia card and I have Plex doing hardware decoding because my i7 is old as hell, way before quicksync. How many 1080p transcodes should it be able to handle? Also, when the video card is "maxed out", is it smart enough to fall back to the CPU?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
sorry i’ve never perf tested nvidia cards, only quicksync stuff. nvidia probably publishes numbers

re: falling back to software it depends on how plex implemented it. plex would have to notice that the nvenc transcodes weren’t keeping up and schedule some for software transcode.

edit: from looking quick it seems like consumer grade cards are software locked to 2 simultaneous transcodes, quadros are unlimited. there are patched drivers to unlock the consumer cards and people report various numbers of simultaneous streams but they don’t say what their hardware is or what the workload was so it’s hard to say what to expect

Dren fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 1, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did you buy a Quadro or modify the driver to remove the limit? If not then your card is artificially limited to two streams.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did you buy a Quadro or modify the driver to remove the limit? If not then your card is artificially limited to two streams.

I did that thing to remove the limit but isn't it going to go away every time WIndows 10 automatically updates the card's drivers? Which is like twice a goddamn week at this point. Or does that mod stay even when the driver is updated?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got no idea on that, I'm still relying on pure CPU.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm relying on pure CPU transcoding until hardware transcoding gets rid of the artifacts.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think the artifacts only show up if you change the picture quality (so if it isn't transcoding it will look identical)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So I'm not sure how this works. Does a player player (like, say, an app on a tv) have to have coded knowledge of a codec, or how does that work? I put some videos on my plex that were only 1080p and shouldn't have needed transcoding, but the plex transcoder was capping out my underpowered plex server when I tried to play the videos. My only guess is that it used HEVC and my tv's plex hasn't been updated in a while.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bobulus posted:

So I'm not sure how this works. Does a player player (like, say, an app on a tv) have to have coded knowledge of a codec, or how does that work? I put some videos on my plex that were only 1080p and shouldn't have needed transcoding, but the plex transcoder was capping out my underpowered plex server when I tried to play the videos. My only guess is that it used HEVC and my tv's plex hasn't been updated in a while.

the player tells the server what the hardware its running on is capable of decoding natively and the server then decides to direct feed it or transcode.

the software on the player itself being up to date shouldnt have much to do with it as it just acts as a conduit for whatever the server is sending, i believe.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
Most plex applications on a TV use the plex ui for navigating but use the video decoder built into the TV for playback so code support depends on that and the plex version isn't that important. It's very rare for these to get big updates (usually they don't have very powerful processers but have hardware support for specific codecs).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, in general HEVC has limited support on players, and a big penalty on transcode cpu load.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, in general HEVC has limited support on players, and a big penalty on transcode cpu load.

I spent an unnecessary amount of time trying to figure out why my Apple TV 4th Gen wasnt capable of playing episodes of a show that Sonarr had grabbed for me only to realise after checking the download history in SABNZBD showed that I had grabbed the h265 version, instead of h264

but thankfully I could add h265 to the ignored list.

I now have a LG b8 that plays them fine, which is awesome.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the 4K added HEVC support which is super useful. Changing out as many h264 files in my archive for h265 as I can.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bobulus posted:

It might sound obvious but make sure you have the option turned on for "play original quality" and not something like 1080p 10mbps or something

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I bought an Insignia Fire TV for the office so I could watch Plex when I'm supposed to be working, but it suddenly stopped working right. I get into Plex, see my library, and start to play something and am greeted with an error "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please ensure the server is available and retry". I've cleared the cache, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, tried wired and wireless connections to no avail. I was able to get it to work just fine on a Chromecast on the TV, any ideas?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Medullah posted:

I bought an Insignia Fire TV for the office so I could watch Plex when I'm supposed to be working, but it suddenly stopped working right. I get into Plex, see my library, and start to play something and am greeted with an error "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please ensure the server is available and retry". I've cleared the cache, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, tried wired and wireless connections to no avail. I was able to get it to work just fine on a Chromecast on the TV, any ideas?

Same thing happened to an Insignia Fire TV my parents have. I think a recent app update hosed Plex on Fire OS. No idea how to rollback the app version so :shrug: until they patch it I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I've had plex working for years like this: open plex > open vpn > remote access works.

Now it doesn't work anymore and nothing I can do will make it work. The best anyone can get is an "indirect" connection and that seems like poo poo.

Nothing changed. :( I've been trying to get it to work for like 3 hours and nothing seems to fix it. It works for 5-10 minutes and then it goes back to being poo poo.