Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Smackdown results added to the OP. That main event was... certainly something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The Kairi/Asuka theme mashup sucks. Their titantron is real good though. Also they've displayed a ton of chemistry despite only tagging for three weeks.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
what the hell was that

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
the wwe is going to go out of business

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Man, I love that Brock went to all that trouble to con Vince out of more money. He truly is the greatest wrestler of all-time.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

here's a video about how the doubyouwee could go out of business in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FbTAndCPGI

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

quote:

Kevin Owens did The Kevin Owens Show as the main event of the evening, again stressing that Kofi was in over his head and Owens would relieve him of that stress by taking the WWE Championship away from him. He called down Xavier Woods to be his guest, but Xavier did not arrive. Owens said he had a backup plan and pulled an Xavier Woods action figure out of his pocket, then a BIG E figure (with a taped up leg) and placed them on a chair, then kicked the chair over.

appointment tv!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Drew McIntyre posted:

good

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

AsInHowe posted:

Man, I love that Brock went to all that trouble to con Vince out of more money. He truly is the greatest wrestler of all-time.

Legit in our era he is the only great wrestler. He protects his gimmick at all costs, works the least days, gets to be champion all the time, and gets paid more than anyone.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SD's had under 2mil viewers five times in its USA run

This is probably going to be the sixth time

Drew McIntyre posted:

:woop:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

For the first time I feel like we're five years or less from WWE being sold to Disney in a package deal like the X-Men or The Simpsons. poo poo just seems dire on a bunch of levels and the only way to stem the tide would be a galactic level star like discovering the next Cena or Austin and even if those guys exist they'd be ruined.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/bodyslamnet/status/1123411587505762304?s=21

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Man did you see those guys shave each others back? Is that even legal??? Lmao!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

SD's had under 2mil viewers five times in its USA run

This is probably going to be the sixth time

for reference a repeat episode of last man standing got 2.88 million viewers on friday for fox

smackdown is going to get booted to fs1 before its first month is out lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fightful confirmed it

Petty in a completely unsurprising way. Dawson will be available for bookings/free from this hell company two months earlier than Dash

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

i dream of the day someone finds the money/backer to sue the poo poo out of WWE's contracts. Maybe when Steph runs for office.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I recommend not watching WWE anymore.

I also recommend trying alternatives but not watching the alternatives anymore if they, too, are run badly and treat talent badly.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I haven’t watched since Wrestlemania. Don’t support this comparino, muchachos!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, despite a couple of slips I haven't been watching WWE since the KSA stuff.

But like its impossible to be a wrestling fan and not pay attention to WWE, especially as they sign up half the indies. And like, I still want to see someone take them down a peg.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I was looking forward to him getting destroyed by Daniel Cormier.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
It legitimately cannot be understated how bad the Kairi/Asuka theme mashup is. There is absolutely no semblance of reasonable editing in it whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WxlbgVlHzo

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah it's really easy to not actually support WWE. Adding time for a 2017 injury is hilariously petty.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

what a bunch of rear end holes!!!!!!!!!!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah it's really easy to not actually support WWE. Adding time for a 2017 injury is hilariously petty.

The funny thing is I doubt its even that personal. Its just a standard to devalue their worth outside WWE and squeeze as much blood from the rock. The money isn't important to them, but making sure wrestlers know that its WWE or nothing else.

Embarrassing them on air is petty, but hell that's probably just about sending the message too.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Let's wait for the whole story. He might have asked for it to be added

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The_Rob posted:

Legit in our era he is the only great wrestler. He protects his gimmick at all costs, works the least days, gets to be champion all the time, and gets paid more than anyone.

Unless you're younger than 20, Nash was our Era, he's still the king. Brock is giving him a run for his money though.

Well, not HIS money. Ted Turner's money. But you get the point.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shaving your partner's back is far from hazing it is just being helpful.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

flashy_mcflash posted:

For the first time I feel like we're five years or less from WWE being sold to Disney in a package deal like the X-Men or The Simpsons. poo poo just seems dire on a bunch of levels and the only way to stem the tide would be a galactic level star like discovering the next Cena or Austin and even if those guys exist they'd be ruined.

Kenny Omega was that star and he took one look at how they booked his friends and was like gently caress that.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

STAC Goat posted:

The funny thing is I doubt its even that personal. Its just a standard to devalue their worth outside WWE and squeeze as much blood from the rock. The money isn't important to them, but making sure wrestlers know that its WWE or nothing else.

Embarrassing them on air is petty, but hell that's probably just about sending the message too.

Obviously we have no idea how AEW is actually going to work out, but I do think WWE is overplaying their hand here. They gobbled up the indies after NXT got hot, but we're now seeing the backlash of an overstuffed talented roster. A lot of the people they have signed are passionate about wrestling, and WWE is creating a dynamic where they're going to have a group of pissed off wrestlers just waiting out their contracts. There's always going to be a big group that goes with it, but it's just awful personnel management in the long and short term. I know this just how they operate but now would be a good time to convince people to stick around not intimidate them into sticking around.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 1, 2019

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

STAC Goat posted:

But like its impossible to be a wrestling fan and not pay attention to WWE, especially as they sign up half the indies.

Not really. Most of my wrestling viewing is from CMLL and NJPW these days, with the occasional other indies here and there. But this year I've been watching less NJPW than usual, mostly watching CMLL. Then again, I'm an old territories-era fan that was never big on the WWF back in the day so it is easier for me to ignore them.

Waiting on AEW and seeing how that pans out.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
WWE will never go out of business what with them raking in all this XFL money.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

VJeff posted:

Kenny Omega was that star and he took one look at how they booked his friends and was like gently caress that.

I think Kenny is one of those stars, for sure. But he's just one of probably a dozen guys over the last two decades that could have been mega stars if Vince could stop tripping over his dick.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, despite a couple of slips I haven't been watching WWE since the KSA stuff.

But like its impossible to be a wrestling fan and not pay attention to WWE, especially as they sign up half the indies. And like, I still want to see someone take them down a peg.

I agree with the Meltzer quote earlier in this thread. The KSA stuff was the last straw for a ton of people, but the overall terrible nature of everything else WWE certainly paved the road for a lot of people to quit after KSA.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

wwe needs a star but its never going to happen again while vince is alive and even if he dropped dead tomorrow i highly doubt trips is capable of turning the shitshow around ratings wise

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DarkstarIV posted:

It legitimately cannot be understated how bad the Kairi/Asuka theme mashup is. There is absolutely no semblance of reasonable editing in it whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WxlbgVlHzo

They've literally never gotten a mash up theme right.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
If we don’t beat the 30% year over year audience loss next year I’ll be very disappointed

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Obviously we have no idea how AEW is actually going to work out, but I do think WWE is overplaying their hand here. They gobbled up the indies after NXT got hot, but we're now seeing the backlash of an overstuffed talented roster. A lot of the people they have signed are passionate about wrestling, and WWE is creating a dynamic where they're going to have a group of pissed off wrestlers just waiting out their contracts. There's always going to be a big group that goes with it, but it's just awful personnel management in the long and short term. I know this just how they operate but now would be a good time to convince people to stick around not intimidate them into sticking around.

Its just WWE playing the odds that AEW won't succeed, or just won't succeed enough to truly threaten them. And even if AEW does and WWE loses a bunch of people the odds are WWE can wait them out, or buy out talent, or something else. Because WWE is just such a mega corporation machine they've been managing a business downturn for like a decade now and still turning profits. And they've been working really hard of late to expand their reach in national and global politics where real money happens.

I say this a lot but the problem is that people still see WWE as a "wrestling promotion" like all the others when its really not that anymore. Its like comparing McDonalds to your local diner or something. I sincerely believe the only things that could change/hurt WWE is mass boycotts, mass unionizing, or major legal battles. And even those things I think would only hurt WWE, not kill them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The_Rob posted:

They've literally never gotten a mash up theme right.

Farty trumpets

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

They just played the songs through 2 channels and let Vince pan the knob back and forth until he was happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AsInHowe posted:

I agree with the Meltzer quote earlier in this thread. The KSA stuff was the last straw for a ton of people, but the overall terrible nature of everything else WWE certainly paved the road for a lot of people to quit after KSA.

Oh yeah, for sure. There were a million reasons I should have been done with WWE before the Greatest Royal Rumble and I wavered back and forth a lot. The Saudi Arabia stuff following the Trump stuff were just where they burned 99.9% of my loyalty or addiction or whatever left.