Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

IOwnCalculus posted:

First time I was given nitrous at the dentist, it was a Saturday so someone had just queued up the entirety of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon on the office speakers.

I've never enjoyed dental work so much before or since.

For me, the dentist got me high and then put a walkman on me with a Journey tape in it, and while I was listening the batteries started dying so the tape slowed down... I couldn't understand what I was hearing and it was super trippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
They required my brother to sit in the waiting room of the dentist when they pulled my wisdom teeth this weekend. I guess someone died and people started taking that poo poo seriously. I was able to walk around and poo poo after the procedure, but I don't remember the next three hours. Kinda scary stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Orthodontist got me so obliterated when I had my wisdom teeth out I don't remember it. I remember being in the waiting room, and remember waking up in the car when my mom was driving me home. Between those two points is absolutely nothing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EightBit posted:

They required my brother to sit in the waiting room of the dentist when they pulled my wisdom teeth this weekend. I guess someone died and people started taking that poo poo seriously. I was able to walk around and poo poo after the procedure, but I don't remember the next three hours. Kinda scary stuff.

Yeah, I got knocked out for my wisdom tooth removal this Feb because the other one with a local sucked rear end. Exactly the same.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was around 13, going in for a filling or something. I'd never needed sedation for dentistry and without checking with my mom the dentist decided to give me nitrous. He also decided to turn it up high enough that after just a few breaths I passed out. This was about 40 years ago and I still distinctly remember how I suddenly was looking down at myself, and the image began to rotate, slowly at first, and then faster and faster until I lost consciousness.

When I woke up I sat bolt upright, my hand grabbing for the mouthful of equipment that the dentist had left behind. The whole place was empty except for a single assistant who walked over to remove it all.

I made it to the parking lot before I threw up, and have had a dental phobia ever since. When I went a couple of years ago it was for the first time since the 1980s.

This also contributed heavily to why I have never tried recreational drugs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Oh FFS, one more dentist story.

Took the wife in to get her wisdom teeth out. So she is half-awake and somewhat lucid post surgery. The ortho guy looked at me and said she won't remember a thing we talk about in front of her. That bastard was dead on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Orthodontist got me so obliterated when I had my wisdom teeth out I don't remember it. I remember being in the waiting room, and remember waking up in the car when my mom was driving me home. Between those two points is absolutely nothing.

When I had mine out I remember up to them giving me the 10 second countdown, and at "7" I was thinking the usual teen boy thought of "I'm tough and I'm going to make it to zero". Needless to say everything from that moment until waking up is <SCENE MISSING>. Also apparently the waking up I remember was the second time. And there was also a third and fourth time before my mom managed to get my rear end in to the truck. And I spent the ride home hanging my head out the window like a dog.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm jealous of you guys, I went under for my wisdom tooth/jaw cyst surgery. Not only did I wake up during the procedure, but I was fully lucid and remember everything perfectly

Being a ginger sucks sometimes

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

For me, the dentist got me high and then put a walkman on me with a Journey tape in it, and while I was listening the batteries started dying so the tape slowed down... I couldn't understand what I was hearing and it was super trippy.

My dentist just has a TV. I think being forced to watch and listen to panel news shows on nitrous is probably banned under the Geneva convention.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EightBit posted:

My wife requires heavier sedation than I do and it's always like this for her. Immediately after the procedure she's lucid, maybe a bit sleepy at most. But it's a solid 24 hours before she can start remembering anything that happens to her.

When I went under for a hernia surgery they were going to have me count back from 10 and I didn't even start. They prefaced it with "this might burn a little" and I got halfway through saying "that was more than a little" before I was gone.

Apparently when I started coming to, I was yelling about my balls being on fire. Which they were because whatever they used as a topical disinfectant absolutely roasted my skin. I do recall complaining repeatedly about it and I'm sure I had zero control over my volume.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 1, 2019

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

When I had my first colonoscopy whatever they pumped me full of caused me to lose the rest of the day. I vaguely remember going to the store and getting something to eat, but after that nothing.

Although that's somewhat better than the one I just had where I woke up before they were done pulling the tube out. That was moderately uncomfortable.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Come on y'all, bring in a set of headphones and cue up a good playlist on your phone. Crank the volume when things get hairy. Even without gas, it does wonders to keep you chill when the dentist is drilling away.

To keep the derail from getting too far out of hand, here's a new crash/road rage video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN7DWMjdD1g

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
The music timing on the crash @ 8:49 is perfect :lol:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

everything about that fuckin' bear clip

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
That whole clip including talking about going home to smoke a huge blunt and his very Seth Rogen-y "oh my god" made me think I was watching Pineapple Express 2.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Finally got the car in for an estimate after some asshat clipped my bumper.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Speaking of asshats clipping cars, someone backed their trailer hitch into my wife's car and didn't leave a note or anything. (Or she backed into it and is lying... but I'll never safely accuse her of that.)

Big ol' square shaped scuffs on her rear bumper. :argh:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Protocol7 posted:

Speaking of asshats clipping cars, someone backed their trailer hitch into my wife's car and didn't leave a note or anything. (Or she backed into it and is lying... but I'll never safely accuse her of that.)

Big ol' square shaped scuffs on her rear bumper. :argh:

loving truck culture

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I watched a guy almost back his tow hitch into my front bumper while I was in the car two nights ago. Literally had to lay into my horn to get this fucker to stop, and then he just peels out in front of me like I'm the rear end in a top hat.

gently caress you, buddy. If I hadn't been there I am 100% sure he would have smashed my bumper and just taken off.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the venn diagram of "human filth", "people who back into a parking spot" and "have a tow hitch" has a bunch of overlap

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

In fairness (?), I was parked on the street and this guy was attempting to parallel park into a spot that was clearly like a foot too small for his truck. I probably should have honked at him sooner but it was kind of amusing watching him try at first.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the venn diagram of "human filth", "people who back into a parking spot"
In my opinion, these are the same circle. I know people will disagree, but my point if view is you have better view when going forwards and you need more precision when parking. Add to that my anecdotal evidence where almost every time I have watched someone try to back in to a parking spot it has been a total clusterfuck, I despise people who suck at backing into parking spots. Before anyone complains, I will acknowledge backing into a spot when properly done can allow you to fit your vehicle into a tighter spot by virtue of being able to turn sharper, but I personally don't consider that enough justification. To back into every single parking spot.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Well don't go to Europe, you're not gonna be able to park anywhere without squeezing in backwards. And liberal bumper use, if you're in the south.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I think the better justification for backing into parking spots is that people in parking lots are psychopaths and that superior forward visibility is better utilized for spotting traffic when pulling out. Then again, I've never in 19 years of driving managed to hit a stationary object so maybe my perspective is skewed.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The only people I know who tried to back into every spot did so in some bizarre attempt to demonstrate driving skills, something that they lacked in almost every other regard.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I used to park the mini backwards when the parking space didn't continue into another space, like up against a wall. But the Subaru and the ranger both get parked like normal because it just feels right.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I don't mind people who back into 90-degree spaces but I've never understood the people who back into angled parking. I'll see it sometimes in a parking garage downtown and I'll wonder what they think they're getting out of it. The rows are rather cramped so it must have taken an eleven-point turn to get in there, and it'll take another to get out. It's always some huge pickup or SUV too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The chances of a pickup being backed into a spot increase with the price

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

I think the better justification for backing into parking spots is that people in parking lots are psychopaths and that superior forward visibility is better utilized for spotting traffic when pulling out. Then again, I've never in 19 years of driving managed to hit a stationary object so maybe my perspective is skewed.
Same, down to the number of years!

I almost always back in, I have literally never hit another car while parking, and I object to the misconceived notion of "liberal bumper use". That's not what bumpers are for.

(oh, and yeah, backing into angled directional parking is weird.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/ZZXuqbq.mp4

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Forgiving the car going over the white lines to merge early, I can see how that might look more ridiculous than it could have played out.

Car wants to merge, checks rear, sees motorcycle is there but is far enough to merge. Starts to merge, looks in mirror to make sure motorcycle didn't sneak up, and then boom. And the vehicles stopped in front could have been obscured by the other merging cars, because it doesn't look like traffic is completely stopped.

Looks ridiculous from that angle, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The chances of a pickup being backed into a spot increase with the price

I find backing a pickup with a backup camera into a spot is easier than pulling forward, particularly when it is a rental, so you are unfamiliar with where it ends.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I like to back into spaces because it lets me load poo poo into the trunk from the sidewalk instead of being out in the lane.

If there's no curb parking, I'll just park however far out I have to in order to find a pull through spot, because I'd rather walk further than back out.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
The secret to backwards parking is rolling the window down and sticking your head out. Also positioning before you even pop it in reverse.

I will sometimes back in to take advantage of how the sun hits my car since our spaces are east-west.

Park facing the evening sun in the summer, and your car will be boiling without a sunshade. In the winter and early-spring your car is nice and pre-heated.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Forgiving the car going over the white lines to merge early, I can see how that might look more ridiculous than it could have played out.

Car wants to merge, checks rear, sees motorcycle is there but is far enough to merge. Starts to merge, looks in mirror to make sure motorcycle didn't sneak up, and then boom. And the vehicles stopped in front could have been obscured by the other merging cars, because it doesn't look like traffic is completely stopped.

Looks ridiculous from that angle, though.

:chloe:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

I'm not saying it's definitely not just the driver being a lovely driver (they already shouldn't have tried to merge that early) /shrug

SOMEtimes, accidents are actually just accidents. I could easily see how things could have played out the way I described. It doesn't take much for an accident to happen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

I'm not saying it's definitely not just the driver being a lovely driver (they already shouldn't have tried to merge that early) /shrug

SOMEtimes, accidents are actually just accidents. I could easily see how things could have played out the way I described. It doesn't take much for an accident to happen.

That's not an accident, it's a crash.

it is the direct result of a deliberately taken action.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

There's indeed some perspective fuckery because the bike accellerates before the crash. However you can see the at fault car already going faster than other merging traffic, it wasn't even a forced merge lane, and right lane traffic did not slow down all that much (look at the tanker.)

Dude did not crash out of concern for the motorcycle else there would have never been an unnecessary unnecessary early merge.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it wasn't even a forced merge lane

definitely not and the driver is definitely lovely for the early merge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phantasium posted:

everything about that fuckin' bear clip

Honestly it's not too graphic but it REALLY drives home how loving much it sucks to get hit by a car.

I could've loving died but ended up getting fired from McDonald's because I kept throwing up on the bus after the adrenaline wore off, and called in to work.

What I'm saying is don't get hit by cars.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 4, 2019