Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Fried Watermelon posted:

we are the dreamer who dreams and then lives inside the dream

we are like then poster who posts, and then lives inside the post...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

vyelkin posted:

lmao nice we're about to get an 1,800 page report on biodiversity loss that says we're all hosed even if we stop climate change because we just cant stop paving over wild land

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/03/climate-crisis-is-about-to-put-humanity-at-risk-un-scientists-warn

choice quote

two years lmao

how do you say this poo poo with a straight face

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wakko posted:

two years lmao

how do you say this poo poo with a straight face

the context is there are 2 big UN reports then, that’s what it’s talking about

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

quote:

The report will sketch out possible future scenarios that will vary depending on the decisions taken by governments, businesses and individuals. The next year and a half is likely to be crucial because world leaders will agree rescue plans for nature and the climate at two big conferences at the end of 2020.

:laffo:

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Mike Barrett, 2019 posted:

There is no time to despair. We should be hopeful that we have a window of opportunity to do something about it over these two years.

Mike Barrett, 2022 posted:

The planet's dyin', Cloud!

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
12 years to save the planet? What do you need 10 years for? Here, have five years. Split it with your brother and bring me back the change!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Telephones posted:

12 years to save the planet? What do you need 10 years for? Here, have five years. Split it with your brother and bring me back the change!

the important thing was, I burned a lot of carbon, which was the style at the time

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Two big conferences at the end of 2020, huh? Be a real shame if a US veto annihilated that UN treaty wouldn't it? I wonder who's in office ----oh.

It's okay, I'm sure we'll have another chance. It's not like it'll be a problem for several decades anyway, so what's the rush? I'm sure there's nothing at all that might change that optimistic estimate.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Zeno-25 posted:

Would take the Eugenics Wars and WW3 over climate change 100%

the good news is that with climate change you get those for free

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Complications posted:

Two big conferences at the end of 2020, huh? Be a real shame if a US veto annihilated that UN treaty wouldn't it? I wonder who's in office ----oh.

It's okay, I'm sure we'll have another chance. It's not like it'll be a problem for several decades anyway, so what's the rush? I'm sure there's nothing at all that might change that optimistic estimate.

the best will be if someone else wins the 2020 election and then the us vetoes climate change agreements in the lame duck session anyway

and then instead of holding another conference in like february the world just throws its hands in the air and goes oh well guess we gotta burn more oil

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the good news is that with climate change you get those for free

What a bargain! We'd be foolish not to buy!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

vyelkin posted:

the best will be if someone else wins the 2020 election and then the us vetoes climate change agreements in the lame duck session anyway

and then instead of holding another conference in like february the world just throws its hands in the air and goes oh well guess we gotta burn more oil

lol you optimists assuming that if the meeting happens in 2020 the treaty will be ready by 2025

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

vyelkin posted:

over these two years

:lol:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/pamfoundation/status/1124375517669597184?s=19

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing will change in the USA until a few thousand or hundred thousand displaced citizens who have lost everything to floods/whatever descend on DC with weapons and demand action immediately.

Then a loooot of them are gonna get killed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway a massive cyclone is hitting India right now.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/03/719953153/cyclone-fani-slams-indian-coast-forcing-millions-to-evacuate

quote:

India's eastern coast has been pounded by Cyclone Fani, an "extremely severe" storm that has torn the roofs off houses and forced millions of people to evacuate. It has also reportedly killed at least two people.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/02/india/cyclone-fani-evacuations-india-intl/index.html

quote:

What is expected to be India's strongest tropical cyclone to make landfall in 20 years is barreling toward 100 million people on the country's east coast, prompting officials to begin emergency evacuations.

What I find interesting is that the news is all reporting this as "the strongest cyclone in 20 years." Which is accurate. However they leave out that the one 20 years ago was the strongest ever recorded cyclone in the North Indian Ocean. It's just framed as if "oh well these happen like this every once in a while" not as "these storms are getting stronger and more frequent globally."

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

Nothing will change in the USA until a few thousand or hundred thousand displaced citizens who have lost everything to floods/whatever descend on DC with weapons and demand action immediately.

Then a loooot of them are gonna get killed.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

What I find interesting is that the news is all reporting this as "the strongest cyclone in 20 years." Which is accurate. However they leave out that the one 20 years ago was the strongest ever recorded cyclone in the North Indian Ocean. It's just framed as if "oh well these happen like this every once in a while" not as "these storms are getting stronger and more frequent globally."
Well, yes, this is normal.

Numbers went up, you see.

It's nature adapting to capitalism as all things should.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Post count must go up

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

vyelkin posted:

the important thing was, I burned a lot of carbon, which was the style at the time

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

Moridin920 posted:

Anyway a massive cyclone is hitting India right now.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/03/719953153/cyclone-fani-slams-indian-coast-forcing-millions-to-evacuate

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/02/india/cyclone-fani-evacuations-india-intl/index.html

Yeah, that's by design, my friend. Maintain the status quo and make the number go up while you can.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sjs00 posted:

Post count must go up

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

Post count must go up

I for one enjoy drowning in poo poo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lmfao with cyclone affecting 100 million

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
The Thanos snap is a metaphor for climate change, even if the writers didn't realize it. The opening scenes of Endgame are the best part of the movie because they show humanity trying to cope with the gigadeaths and everyone's depressed and stuff.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

redsniper posted:

The Thanos snap is a metaphor for climate change, even if the writers didn't realize it. The opening scenes of Endgame are the best part of the movie because they show humanity trying to cope with the gigadeaths and everyone's depressed and stuff.

Pretty sure they realized it and it's a not very opaque way to whitewash the mass genocide which is not just approaching, but already underway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

better than stabbing the head global warming dude in the stomach

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Thanos is the avatar of capitalism, when he tells Thor he should have gone for the head he's speaking to the audience and encouraging us to take up the guillotine before capital does a gigadeath

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

A cyclone is just a hurricane in another part of the world right? Same with typhoon?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

actionjackson posted:

A cyclone is just a hurricane in another part of the world right? Same with typhoon?

yes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

ya all 3 are interchangeble and just like depends on hwere. im 2 lazy to google which is which but hurricanes are atlantic, typhoons are pacific, and cyclones are like indian. theres some more specific location like southern vs northern pacific but that's the geist of it.

cyclones sound the coolest tho so they should all be called cyclones. also the best popsicle :hellyeah:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
We call them hurricanes in the EPac and Atlantic basins, typhoon in WPac. Elsewhere we just use cyclone, but they are all a type of tropical cyclone.

Different meteorological agencies oversee different basins, so we end up with different classification systems in different regions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“cyclones” are just low pressure systems, as opposed to “anti cyclones “ which are high pressure systems. tropical cyclones are warm core and come from the tropics. since almost all low pressure systems from the right latitudes count their wind speeds can be close to nothing to in a tropical depression to 160 mph category 5 hurricane or super typhoon.

so yes you can call hurricanes cyclones like you can call tornados whirlwinds

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think typhoon sounds coolest

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I think Super Cyclonic Storm is my favorite official classification.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I think Super Colonic Storm is my favorite official classification.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/global-5g-wireless-networks-threaten-weather-forecasts/

mild speed improvements on cell phones that will just be used to pump higher bandwidth tracking software into your phone are more important than being able to predict storms lmao.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

JuulPodSaveAmerica posted:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/global-5g-wireless-networks-threaten-weather-forecasts/

mild speed improvements on cell phones that will just be used to pump higher bandwidth tracking software into your phone are more important than being able to predict storms lmao.

endless screaming lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JuulPodSaveAmerica posted:

quote:

The recent FCC auction involved 2 groups of frequencies: one between 24.25 and 24.45 gigahertz and the other between 24.75 and 25.25 gigahertz. Wireless equipment transmitting near the lower end of that range could interfere with the 23.8-gigahertz water-vapour measurement. The FCC did not respond to Nature's request for comment on the matter.

did scientific America run this by an RF engineer because 500MHz seems like a pretty huge separation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
it's gonna be sad when the collapse of civilization finally shuts these forums down