Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Cancel the teacher's tournament jesus christ who gives a gently caress a man is bankrupting America's gameshow.
They seem to do okay with Trebek's $10M salary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I haven't listened to it yet, but if you're a fan of baseball and Jeopardy, James guests on the latest episode of the podcast Effectively Wild.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Goddamnit, you’re playing against a guy who’s on a huge streak and wins huge amounts on every game, why would you not go for a true daily double??? You either have a slim chance of winning with a large, successful bet, or you’re going to lose no matter what.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You seem to be taking this game show very seriously.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they're right - it is bizarre when people are wimps on daily doubles in "normal" games but it;s especially perplexing when it's virtually the only way you stand a chance of winning against a particular opponent.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

PT6A posted:

Goddamnit, you’re playing against a guy who’s on a huge streak and wins huge amounts on every game, why would you not go for a true daily double??? You either have a slim chance of winning with a large, successful bet, or you’re going to lose no matter what.

They were already playing for second by then doubling wouldn’t have mattered.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Do they get to keep the money if they come in 2nd and 3rd place?

It's probably worth thinking that they won't win and might as well go home with something

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
2nd place gets $2000 and 3rd place $1000

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Cancel the teacher's tournament jesus christ who gives a gently caress a man is bankrupting America's gameshow.

I have to imagine the producers aren't thrilled about how this worked out. The ratings are skyrocketing and will now take a dump and they can only hope a lot of people still remember in 2 weeks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

1glitch0 posted:

I have to imagine the producers aren't thrilled about how this worked out. The ratings are skyrocketing and will now take a dump and they can only hope a lot of people still remember in 2 weeks.

the teachers/teen/college tourneys were always bad but yeah this is some bad timing.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

1glitch0 posted:

Do ratings bumps really matter to Jeopardy? I assume ratings will normalize by the time their next tv contract is up.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

nooneofconsequence posted:

Do ratings bumps really matter to Jeopardy? I assume ratings will normalize by the time their next tv contract is up.

They don't super matter, it's not like Jeopardy isn't going to be renewed in every market at the next contract signing. But they do get to send out press releases like they're the #1 syndicated show for the week and dethroned Judge Judy's 40 week run as the top rated syndicated show. And all the cultural buzz. I don't know how much it matters more than a dick measuring contest within the industry, but I'm sure they'd rather keep the momentum going than to have it killed for two weeks.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm sure long streaks like Ken and James help the game in the long term. They create a mystique about the game and remind people that crazy things can happen on the show.

It's not like they're going to be able to start charging advertisers more next season or anything, but the removal of the 5 win limit has probably done a lot for ratings if you imagine where the show would be today if they never changed it.

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm an occasional Jeopardy watcher and started watching again solely because of the streak. I'm sure there are a ton more like me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I are opposite, we watch every night, and now it’s just like, we don’t care if we miss an episode.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Duckman2008 posted:

My wife and I are opposite, we watch every night, and now it’s just like, we don’t care if we miss an episode.

I've got 10 episodes sitting on my DVR because I can't stand to look at this fucker's face.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ratings are up, but not dramatically

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jeopardy-champ-james-holzhauer-is-no-ken-jennings-ratings-1207385

Cliffs Notes: 11% compared to pre-James, 3% for the year

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

536 posted:

I'm an occasional Jeopardy watcher and started watching again solely because of the streak. I'm sure there are a ton more like me.

Yeah, it depends for me. I don't usually care enough to DVR it in case I'm busy or get home from work late, but now I do because I want to see James kick rear end and take names (and eventually lose).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

PT6A posted:

Yeah, it depends for me. I don't usually care enough to DVR it in case I'm busy or get home from work late, but now I do because I want to see James kick rear end and take names (and eventually lose).

I usually binge the whole week, but since it's nearly impossible to avoid spoilers, I've been watching it the same night.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Same, I'm like 12 episodes behind or something right now. I'll get to them but ehhhhhh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's wild that jennings was on the very first season without the 5 game limit.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 6, 2019

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Same.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Same, I'm like 12 episodes behind or something right now. I'll get to them but ehhhhhh.

Honestly, we might just skip a bunch and be done with it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i watch the show for the trivia so somebody stomping doesn't really bother me. it's why i've always hated poo poo like the forrest bounce i like clearing categories out.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1124720764538707968

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ken Jennings loving rocks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Duckman2008 posted:

I watch every night I'm home, but once James has it locked in, it's time for Netflix.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

There's a Vox.com article from the other day talking to some of the folks who have had to face off against James so far: https://www.vox.com/first-person/2019/5/4/18529311/jeopardy-holzhauer-ken-jennings

One weird thing about it is this:

quote:

Given all of this, some sour grapes are understandable. Leonas competed against Holzhauer and Levin on her episode. “I felt like I was thrown into the Tournament of Champions,” she said. “I was frustrated, and I’m a little disappointed. It feels like I didn’t get to play a regular game of Jeopardy.” She and Falco noted that the fact that he was financially able to take a year off from his job as a professional sports gambler to study for Jeopardy, gave him a more than unfair advantage.

How the heck would he know to take off from his job a year in advance?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It just confirms what I suspected about James, he's a rich turd. I'd much rather see a chemistry teacher from Minneapolis go on a streak like this than a gambler who can afford to spend a year studying for the show.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spraynard Kruger posted:

There's a Vox.com article from the other day talking to some of the folks who have had to face off against James so far: https://www.vox.com/first-person/2019/5/4/18529311/jeopardy-holzhauer-ken-jennings

He is confident enough to know he can get on , and he would have been correct to assume within 1-2 years he would have been selected.

2 things you need to get on:
-knowledge (duh)
-personality

I don’t like the guy, but he obviously has both. So if he had the idea of “I’m going to go all in, and for the next 1-2 years I’m just going to focus on jeopardy,” well, it seems he had the means to do it.

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I dunno, we wouldn't get mad at the next Tiger Woods for taking a year or two off from his day job to train full time before he golfing professionally.

I am fan. Go James. gently caress the Jeopardy budget right up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

536 posted:

I dunno, we wouldn't get mad at the next Tiger Woods for taking a year or two off from his day job to train full time before he golfing professionally.

I am fan. Go James. gently caress the Jeopardy budget right up.

I hate everyone who's rich enough that they can afford to just not work for a year or more, that includes the next Tiger Woods.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'd probably kill myself if i got my shot on the show, ended with $53999, and lost.

Iron Crowned posted:

It just confirms what I suspected about James, he's a rich turd. I'd much rather see a chemistry teacher from Minneapolis go on a streak like this than a gambler who can afford to spend a year studying for the show.

quote:

“I honestly don’t think I can hack it in the 9-to-5 world, though I’ve never actually tried,” Holzhauer tells CNBC Make It. “I really like not having to justify my decisions to anyone else, as well as the freedom to vacation whenever I want.”

my dude everyone wants that life. does he think he's some anomaly lmao

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 6, 2019

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Spraynard Kruger posted:

I mean, it's understandable that people are sour grapes-y about it, especially the people he beat--but it's not like he's some rich guy who on a whim decided to destroy america's favorite institution, he's obviously a long time trivia buff and even if he did devote a year to preparing for jeopardy, whatever, that makes him more deserving of winning, not less.

(obviously, yes, eat the rich, etc)

anybody else auditioning this week? i'm in LA on friday

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The confidence you need to be 100% sure you get selected from your audition must be the confidence you need to bet 30k on a Daily Double.

I got my audition rescheduled to a day I can actually make, now to annoy my wife by playing along with Netflix episodes while standing up and clicking a pen.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

zakharov posted:

The confidence you need to be 100% sure you get selected from your audition must be the confidence you need to bet 30k on a Daily Double.

I got my audition rescheduled to a day I can actually make, now to annoy my wife by playing along with Netflix episodes while standing up and clicking a pen.

Unfortunately I don't the pen clicking is going to be a helpful simulation. You need something to indicate the "go" light that allows you to click in, which to be realistic is going to usually get stepped on immediately after by the actual contestants ringing in.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Drone Jett posted:

Unfortunately I don't the pen clicking is going to be a helpful simulation. You need something to indicate the "go" light that allows you to click in, which to be realistic is going to usually get stepped on immediately after by the actual contestants ringing in.

I hate more than anything that they don't display the lights on on TV

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'd probably kill myself if i got my shot on the show, ended with $53999, and lost.
Coming a hair's width from unseating an apparently unstoppable Jeopardy champion is almost a better story (shame it doesn't pay the bills)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Spokes posted:

but it's not like he's some rich guy who on a whim decided to...

Only he kind of is. He has nothing to really gain by going on the show other than proving that he can, it's not like he's a teacher or construction worker where winning 2 or 3 games radically changes their life. Hell, I live quite comfortably as a software engineer, but I would probably openly weep if my winnings got into 6 figures and my student loan debt vanished because I know random poo poo for a tv show.

There were WAY more issues with the biggest douchebag to ever appear on Survivor, Russel Hantz, but one of the biggest things that made the other players especially resent him (besides him literally throwing their clothing into the fire) was that he was already a multi-millionaire owner of an oil company. Who the gently caress wants to give a million dollars to that guy over the cafeteria lunch lady or struggling graduate student sitting next to him? Obviously James is way less of a raging rear end in a top hat (I hope), but it's the best parallel I can come up with in game show history for players resenting having their dream crushed by some rich guy to whom the grand prize means nothing.

Good on him for being able to pull off a streak like this, but it's absolutely understandable to me why he might not be the best person to see winning millions of dollars and crushing the dreams of "more deserving" players who would probably have started streaks of their own if he hadn't been standing in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That's basically how I feel, plus the construction worker or teacher winning two games in a row didn't have the advantage of being able to spend an entire year doing nothing but preparing for Jeopardy. They had to work a day job, and do all the other things that the average person has to do through out that year, because they just couldn't afford to do it.