Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Bought this car in Charlotte and had to drive it home 800 miles and then immediately took it on a 1400 mile round trip road trip, so I finally got around to giving it a quick bath:

It really needs a good buffing and polishing, but I won't have access to my driveway for another 3-4 months so that'll have to wait. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 15, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Liquid Communism posted:

Gave her a spring wash. Up close the paint's not great, but it'll do until I can get around to a full repaint.

Better than mine. It's all white, with some of the famous peeling issues. Not as bad as some, but I still have some small bare spots.

You can see some of it at the top of the windshield, and there are a few other small spots. I've seen some P71s with giant swaths of paint missing.

Southern Heel posted:

I put up with an brown-orange automatic ford estate car for two years, now it's gone and this is my new wheels:

It's a 1972 MG-B GT, with a full nuts and bolts restoration done - too much to realistically list. I paid about 15% over the normal price for a model of this era and condition, purely based on the fact that it's solid metal all the way through - no rust at all and no patching.

It does about 20 miles to the gallon and only puts out 97bhp - but holy moley - this isn't my car but just listen to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BCTag3YTy4

Nice. More horsepower than my '87 Corolla (82HP, new)! A lot better condition than my shitbox, too.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I love the idea of one of those V8's! I decided to go with a standard spec car just because I wanted to keep the ongoing costs (lol) down. Anyway, I got excited and had to go and pick it up today:

No radio, just a throaty burble and roar all the way home. Well, while I wasn't in traffic or in danger of stalling it. Reversing into the garage was a bit hairy, but nowhere near as bad as I thought. After spending some more time with it, there are a few things which immediately pop out that would increase QoL for very meagre money/effort - lubricating the speedo cable to remove some of the bounce, fitting a bluetooth amplifier instead of the trashy old radio that's in there (or just replacing with a proper RetroSounds period-looking head unit that has bluetooth/DAB/etc.) and validating everything works fine. Someone said my brake lights were out but I think it was because I was coasting and trying to remember not to accidentally shift into R instead of 2nd!

Krakkles posted:

I think they mean the other car, just visible, which is either a Bentley or a Rolls.

I thought it was an XJ but it is indeed a Bentley

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 23, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That thing is gorgeous.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Some dope cars the last couple pages, that MGB is the star.

Leave the audio stock you utter monster. Cars like that are the soundtrack. (when it's running)

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Since the sun has been out for consecutive days here, figured I'd finally wash it. Really need to get a clay bar though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lotta nerds with non broken cars on the ground itt if u ask me

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

You need more downforce.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

toplitzin posted:

You need more downforce.
:lol:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

toplitzin posted:

You need more downforce.

He’s got a lot of downs though

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I will not be trolled by a man with a golf!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bape Culture posted:

At least you missed the hedge this time :newlol:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I'd make fun of you, but that'd be me on the first turn.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Do they charge you if you crash on a TD or was it a TF session? Also sorry for your lots

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Woof

That looks expensive.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Talking to my Co workers got me kind of excited about the truck and I'm thinking I'll keep it for now. Also I can hop in at any time, turn the key and it runs which is nice and makes me happy. Still some buttoning up until I can take it around the block but I am happy.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

Looking forward to the video imho. show me where on the nordschleife it touched you.

I bet if you had the full set of E's this not happen, etc. Also post the bill for your car's helicopter fantasy experience

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

A5h more like Cra5h.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Last week had the chance for a quick trip down to Moab for the weekend with the family. I did my first bit of :siren:off roading:siren: and had a blast. My wife...tolerated it? Because I didn't want to spend too much time ogling the truck from the outside and getting that perfectly posed shot here are a couple of hastily taken photos in the magical wonderland that is Moab, UT.

These are all from the Fins & Things trail. I also have a couple snips from the GoPro that MY WIFE was gracious enough to hold and record. You can even hear us arguing! The one part where she says "This looks worse" (it wasn't) she stopped recording half way through and decided to just hold on rather than try and record :laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iir5hoFJV_w

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It almost seems like there's so much rubber put down on some of those trails that it would be as sticky as a drag strip.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Stop making me want to lift my fiesta a couple inches and rally it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Stop making me want to lift my fiesta a couple inches and rally it

Actually you should totally do that.

I'm thinkin of doing some dumb poo poo too, but it looks like it would involve some trimming.

(those are 29 inch tires)

Thinking of messaging some jeepbros and asking if i can try on their shoes.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 16, 2022

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Powershift posted:

It almost seems like there's so much rubber put down on some of those trails that it would be as sticky as a drag strip.

It’s an insane amount of grip as long as it’s dry. Especially on aired down tires.

It’s called slick rock for a reason. That perfectly polished rubber surface turns to ice when wet. Side by side machines rule down there. They can take this trail and do it in half the time of a well prepped Jeep like in the video. Endless amounts of approach angle and tons of travel with tires nearly as tall as mine make them unstoppable.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Detail Day :homebrew:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Besides the first generation, this is the best looking mustang

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

um excuse me posted:

Besides the first generation, this is the best looking mustang

Correct.

After selling my '16 and going to my Jeep only since I felt having a summer car was stupid with motorcycles fighting for seat time, this year I got itchin for a car again and decided to throw caution to the wind and remove the Jeep from the garage, the stang is now my DD, and come winter it's gonna get steelies and snow tires and I'm gonna have a hoot :getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
:shepface:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have a dream of putting a 'busa engine in something like that. Or very two stroke. Problem is they're such cool cars I'd feel bad tearing one apart.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:love:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

It’s like a sibling picture where they are all looking at the baby of the family and the baby has no idea what is going on.

It’s a good picture.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"My name is KakerMix and I don't have a problem."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

um excuse me posted:

I have a dream of putting a 'busa engine in something like that. Or very two stroke. Problem is they're such cool cars I'd feel bad tearing one apart.

It's already half a Goldwing engine, so...

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Type r crates are what, 7k?

You know what you need to do

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Type r crates are what, 7k?

You know what you need to do

Putting a motorcycle engine in a car isn't about the power.

It's about hitting 15,000 RPM without breaking the speed limit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Powershift posted:

Putting a motorcycle engine in a car isn't about the power.

It's about hitting 15,000 RPM without breaking the speed limit.

Sheit, that is north of 60mph on a bike in first gear. Some of the 1000s will do 80-90 in first

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Sheit, that is north of 60mph on a bike in first gear. Some of the 1000s will do 80-90 in first

Yeah, but you run the bike trans through your standard rear end ratio as well.

Even with a busa engine, an MG midget isn't hitting 186 miles an hour. Set your sights on 130 and gear it to use the full range of gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Nobody wants to go 130 mph in an 82 Acty you guys

Nobody