Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm

<five minutes of silence>

Diane

<five minutes of silence>

Rehm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Code Jockey posted:

hello and welcome to the dinner party downl

*rips radio from car, throws it onto freeway*

lol imagine having such a lovely podcast the only way you can get people to listen to it is by convincing your friends to air it on the radio station where you work

now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to host a half hour listener call in segment about Morning Edition's new theme music *ignores the literal millions of civilians dying in the Philippines and Yemen thanks to our arms deals and support*

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im lak smee sting and this is npr

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

I'm glad Tom Ashbrook is gone, he was an annoying piece of poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

"It's not just something you can scribble on the back of a cocktail napkin", he added."
I Like This Joke!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

donate in the next 5 minutes, we have matching money on the line, we will send you a #resistance magnet OR a #nazi magnet, your choice because we are totally neutral and don't condone nazis at all, they have an equal say.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Latin-X el X-tremo

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
This is Francesca al-Chiang in Alasauga, Arkentucky and I'm talking to local resident Dave Brick about why he doesn't like Mexicans.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Having actually worked at a public radio station (Pacifica Radio, though, not NPR) I can tell you that a lot of this is frighteningly accurate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For the love of god give us your car. We take every kind of car in existence Volvos, old Volvos... Please just give us your car or I will die.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I like my public radio like I like my musicians, under the influence of Koch

... gently caress this only works out loud I guess

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
"And now, to give us a balanced look at recent events, Cokie Roberts is going to be talking to David Brooks and Jonah Goldberg."

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Genesplicer posted:

Having actually worked at a public radio station (Pacifica Radio, though, not NPR) I can tell you that a lot of this is frighteningly accurate.

Accurate for CBC radio too. Anna Maria Tremonti takes a good 20 seconds to say her name and constantly saying, "hmmmm" and "mmm" during interviews.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Bonzo posted:

Accurate for CBC radio too. Anna Maria Tremonti takes a good 20 seconds to say her name and constantly saying, "hmmmm" and "mmm" during interviews.

Radio personalities toss in frequent verbal interjections out of fear that the audience will forget they're there.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
*pronounces .org as dot oh arr gee*

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

For the love of god give us your car. We take every kind of car in existence Volvos, old Volvos... Please just give us your car or I will die.

It's public radio. Of course it's gonna be a loving Volvo.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello podcast listeners, it's Ira Glass

*story that can be solved by having a dad that's willing to kick your rear end*

*story that describes a bad situation, and then an explanation that makes you not sorry they're in that situation*

*story that is presented as real and gripping, only to find it's a work of fiction.*

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

im Mary Louise Kelly’s saliva

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

UltraRed posted:

Hello podcast listeners, it's Ira Glass
Today we'll look at the harrowing tale of a nice, outgoing white girl who is sex-positive.

In act one she'll talk about how hard it was for people in religious communities to accept her message.

In act two, she wrestles with being an inclusive feminist and a good ally.

Then in act three, tragedy, when some college kids ask her to be more mindful. This leads her down a path to the alt-right, eventually dicking down with someone who, just 3 weeks prior, was harassing her online.

The afterwards is a bunch of wondering why her old friends suddenly don't talk to her"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I cannot fathom that Paula Poundstone is still going strong on NPR. Even Comedy Central stopped showing her stuff in the mid 90s and they showed everything. When she finally passes, I'm trying to come up with whatever mediocre, completely forgettable comedian will take her place for another 3 decades.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Tato posted:

I cannot fathom that Paula Poundstone is still going strong on NPR. Even Comedy Central stopped showing her stuff in the mid 90s and they showed everything. When she finally passes, I'm trying to come up with whatever mediocre, completely forgettable comedian will take her place for another 3 decades.

This in tandem with the child abuse allegations (still not 100% on what happened there) always struck me as really strange choice on NPR's end.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Gay Weed Dad posted:

This in tandem with the child abuse allegations (still not 100% on what happened there) always struck me as really strange choice on NPR's end.

I thought she only abused stones :imunfunny:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FilthyImp posted:

Today we'll look at the harrowing tale of a nice, outgoing white girl who is sex-positive.

In act one she'll talk about how hard it was for people in religious communities to accept her message.

In act two, she wrestles with being an inclusive feminist and a good ally.

Then in act three, tragedy, when some college kids ask her to be more mindful. This leads her down a path to the alt-right, eventually dicking down with someone who, just 3 weeks prior, was harassing her online.

The afterwards is a bunch of wondering why her old friends suddenly don't talk to her"
lol they literally did this

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I thought she only abused stones :imunfunny:

this is exactly as funny as paula poundstone

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Tato posted:

Dont worry mo rocca already works there

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gay Weed Dad posted:

she openly admits to drunk driving with her foster children, and pled guilty to 'lewd conduct' with a foster daughter under 14. The prosecutors alleged she inappropriately touched the girl for sexual reasons. She maintains her innocence on the lewd conduct/touching. The court records are sealed, but she also took a plea deal to get them to drop full on child molestation charges.

it's also really weird that they gave her a mock court show

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Paula Poundstone and Brett Butler should have a show together.

Bro Dad posted:

Dont worry mo rocca already works there
His weird hipster Colbert but not funny thing is really played out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

lol they literally did this

Can you tell me which episode this is? because this sounds hilarious and I want to listen to it tomorrow.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

gleebster posted:

"And now, to give us a balanced look at recent events, Cokie Roberts is going to be talking to David Brooks and Jonah Goldberg."

Lol oh yeah I forgot NPR platforms loving David Brooks lmao

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's almost beat by beat what happened, lol.

veni veni veni posted:

Can you tell me which episode this is? because this sounds hilarious and I want to listen to it tomorrow.

It's called Words You Can't Say, Episodes 637.

That's when I learned Ira Glass is over 50 loving years old wtf.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

gleebster posted:

Today they had John Yoo on to talk about the Trump administration's fight with the Congress over Trump's executive privilege claims.

Absolutely zero mention of his Bush-era role as the author of the torture memos and related fuckery.

Thanks for rehabilitating him, NPR

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

It's almost beat by beat what happened, lol.

It's called Words You Can't Say, Episodes 637.

That's when I learned Ira Glass is over 50 loving years old wtf.

:cool: thanks

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pershing posted:

Today they had John Yoo on to talk about the Trump administration's fight with the Congress over Trump's executive privilege claims.

Absolutely zero mention of his Bush-era role as the author of the torture memos and related fuckery.

Thanks for rehabilitating him, NPR

All things considered? No they did in the intro just didn't confront him at all, bring it up in the interview or in any way signal he might be on shakey ground when it comes to talking about executive power since he was willing to go on record saying 'tromp might be bad'

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*discovers schockingly chomsky is about to get on air in about an hour with an interview in which he had to be pre-recorded and write out a script of what he was going to say*

*replaces interview with filler music and breathes sigh of relief*

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Coolness Averted posted:

All things considered? No they did in the intro just didn't confront him at all, bring it up in the interview or in any way signal he might be on shakey ground when it comes to talking about executive power since he was willing to go on record saying 'tromp might be bad'

And by 'bad' he meant 'goes overboard so much on exec. privilege claims it might limit a future administration'.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Bro Dad posted:

Latin-X el X-tremo

Chicano works perfectly well. If you are Honduran, you can say that. This new thing is silly.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I think Paula Poundstone is funny to listen to and usually had good jokes. Whenever I'm listening to the show and she is a guest, I am excited to hear her unique brand of humorous incredulity.

Also I think Terry Gross is a bad interviewer. She just hides her utter lack of any real preparation behind a condescending tone of voice. I don't think it's a good interview practice to neglect to research anything about your guests, and based on the questions she asks I seldom get the impression that she has researched anything about her guests.

Anyway that's npr for you, now let's never run a positive story in the morning or ever. God forbid people want to drive to work without hearing about women's rights in Kandahar or tragic scenes from the latest school shooting

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Stalizard posted:

I think Paula Poundstone is funny to listen to and usually had good jokes. Whenever I'm listening to the show and she is a guest, I am excited to hear her unique brand of humorous incredulity.

Also I think Terry Gross is a bad interviewer. She just hides her utter lack of any real preparation behind a condescending tone of voice. I don't think it's a good interview practice to neglect to research anything about your guests, and based on the questions she asks I seldom get the impression that she has researched anything about her guests.

Anyway that's npr for you, now let's never run a positive story in the morning or ever. God forbid people want to drive to work without hearing about women's rights in Kandahar or tragic scenes from the latest school shooting

Sounds like you have a bad affiliate station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
If you've never heard terry gross interview gene simmons then you should. It's incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNxuL-uIaTo