Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

At last, you've made it! You've managed to avoid the security personnel out for your blood and have stowed away onto Space Station 13.

Unfortunately, your choice of hiding place has betrayed you as you find yourself in the Freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Track starting round population, wait till timer is past threshold (say 1 hour, most rounds run that long anyway), trigger mandatory shuttle call when active population is less than fraction of starting round population (say, 1/3rd).

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I've fallen in love with the Radio Host job, and after a few rounds of parodying various radio cliches I feel it would be a perfect starting role with just a few additions:

- Allow the Voice Synthesizer to store multiple voices and dialogue for easy playback. This would be fantastic for setting up segments while you play music, and for creating dumb sound effects.

- Somewhat-related, I would also like a way to easily prepare recordings. The tape recorder captures in real-time, making it too obtuse to use without timing your pauses or having a great WPM.

- I want more playable records and tapes, especially ads. Just drown me in variety!

I'd also love to see stuff like a way to do broadcasts outside the studio (which may cut too much into the journalist's schtick), the ability to play actual sound effects through the channel (something that would almost certainly be abused the day its implemented), and dumb, gimmicky traitor items, but this would all be icing on the quintuple-fried cake.

Also does any of the radio equipment react to being emagged?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Traitor always goes out of their way to get on the air if theres a DJ in the debris field

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I really enjoyed the radio host job. I even got to interview the King in Yellow! It was great.

Also it really isn't great when a tator tot decides to recall the shuttle because there might be a crew member or two left to gank.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
how about this for a radio host traitor item.

The syndicate record press, crush crew members into exciting new playable records(record may take some time to press), totally not just a modified Stomper Unit stolen from oshan,

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Make them able to talk through the radio if the record is played, but have them follow mindslave rules or something like that.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

coldpudding posted:

The syndicate record press, crush crew members into exciting new playable records(record may take some time to press), totally not just a modified Stomper Unit stolen from oshan,

It let's the killed player write one message upon death that will be played everytime the record is used. See how many versions of "Traitor McJerk is a traitor!" and "Oh god, the pain!" you can collect and loudly relay to the uncaring crew!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
A souped-up, station-wide radio jammer mod for the studio that scrambles everything but your channel (and telephones) would be very effective and fitting for the egotistical DJ.

Balanced by fact that your radio equipment is an immobile object that crewmembers can easily find once the jig is up, it still leaves the vanilla signal jammer as a competitive option.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

coldpudding posted:

12 crystals for a syndicate Hypnorecord. Once inserted into the record player all PDAs, radio headsets, intercoms, etc. will begin broadcasting a hypnotic tune which, if listened to long enough, will have basically the same effect on people as Raj and make them lose control. The radio host is immune to it.

I think it'd be fun. Really disruptive and powerful, but also takes all your crystals and it requires you to be in a specific location so the crew can put together an A-team of deaf commandos to come beat your rear end.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Aerofallosov posted:

I really enjoyed the radio host job. I even got to interview the King in Yellow! It was great.

Also it really isn't great when a tator tot decides to recall the shuttle because there might be a crew member or two left to gank.

DON'T READ THE BOOK!

ChickenHeart posted:

A souped-up, station-wide radio jammer mod for the studio that scrambles everything but your channel (and telephones) would be very effective and fitting for the egotistical DJ.

Balanced by fact that your radio equipment is an immobile object that crewmembers can easily find once the jig is up, it still leaves the vanilla signal jammer as a competitive option.

Pirate Radio illegal power boosting attachment. While boosted, any time a record is playing, all headset communications over the mixing desk frequency (basically normal headsets) becomes semi-scrambled and corrupt. An extremely annoying nuisance, but not really harmful. Basically a slightly less annoying solar flare.

The record player has a built-in cooldown so you couldn't just keep it up forever.

Would probably not work well with Oshan, though.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Your tracks affect people like a dancing brown noise

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Isaac posted:

Your tracks affect people like a dancing brown noise

I want to play a pirate radio clown who hijacks the intercom to play that annoying music through the whole station, using remote terminals to hide his tracks.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Rock n roll makes all the staff assistants rude and disrespectful to authority

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Isaac posted:

So it makes them act like staff assistants.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jazz, when played, accumulates in all listeners bloodstreams like a drug.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Isaac posted:

Being rude and disrespectful to authority is the default option for everyone.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

when the station spots a syndie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Are there actual rules and a cardlist for Spacemen: The Griffening or is it just an elaborate joke/waste of spacebucks? If so, where's the current meta at right now, and when can we expect a new expansion?

I suddenly have a really awful idea to use with the radiostation...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ChickenHeart posted:

Are there actual rules and a cardlist for Spacemen: The Griffening or is it just an elaborate joke/waste of spacebucks? If so, where's the current meta at right now, and when can we expect a new expansion?

I suddenly have a really awful idea to use with the radiostation...

From what I've seen of the cards, the rules are internally-consistent, but incomplete, and the core rules (winning, losing, the flow of play, etc.) are undocumented so the only way to actually play it is to guess.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

can the chef make stuff out of charcoal? Good for those times you chem is acting a little suspicious

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Coming back after a few years and man, TG's codebase really advanced. Played a bunch on Fulp Station in robotics, there's a very newbie friendly new surgery system where you use a drape to designate what you want to do and then the computer guides you through every step, it's really nice. There's also some neat upgrade options for robotics in the form of prosthetic organs.

Of course every other round seems to end immediately because of traitor fuckery but you take what you can get.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

so the only way to actually play it is to guess.

That sounds like the first 20 rounds of ss13 for anyone.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SS13 is leaking into webcomics now.

It's Kill Six Billion Demons. And Gog Agog up there is a sentient mass of worms that just fryermancied their way out of one of their own believers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

neogeo0823 posted:

SS13 is leaking into webcomics now.

It's Kill Six Billion Demons. And Gog Agog up there is a sentient mass of worms that just fryermancied their way out of one of their own believers.

If you are not already reading Kill Six Billion Demons, you should start reading Kill Six Billion Demons :colbert:.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nalesh posted:

Being rude and disrespectful to authority is the default option for everyone.

This, but real life.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

anyone in this thread workin with the unitystation folks?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/801140/unitystation/
https://github.com/unitystation/unitystation

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

This makes me kinda mad for some reason.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I also had an initial moment of revulsion i think because something mimicking BYOND's look is even uglier than BYOND. A unity project is definitely less intimidating (for me) than trying to fiddle with BYOND so maybe they can make some good progress if they got some good people working on it.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

People bring up the very good point that it’s hard to port ss13 because it has so many features and it’s so enmeshed with Byond. I’m surprised these ports don’t start a bit simpler and trade some of the more complex game elements for more user friendliness.

E: Like, the closest thing to an SS13 port I've played is Unfortunate Spacemen, which has more fps-ey modes but has the basic conceit of "all of you are spacemen but one of you is a changeling" which obviously doesn't have the same level of complexity, but it's a functioning game in 3d with at least some of the panic, fear, mistrust and getting ejected into space. I wish the ports would try to take their version of what made the game fun and make it more accessible rather than just copy everything from Byond into an incompatible format.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 12, 2019

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Byond is actually a fine engine and there's nothing wrong with how the game looked circa 2013.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dont Touch ME posted:

Byond is actually a fine engine and there's nothing wrong with how the game looked circa 2013.

Anyone else pictures this as being said by someone locked in a padded cell covered in scrawled code for an atmospher simulator?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Hundred percent

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Quicksilver6 posted:

People bring up the very good point that it’s hard to port ss13 because it has so many features and it’s so enmeshed with Byond. I’m surprised these ports don’t start a bit simpler and trade some of the more complex game elements for more user friendliness.

I think it's because people want to port SS13 over to a new engine, but they neglect to realize that the game developed over a decade from a whole mob of volunteer coders of questionable and varying skill levels. They want to replicate the game, but the reason the game is the amazing thing it is is because it's a horrible rats nest of code that's just been added to and added to for over 10 years now. Trying to replicate a house of cards from the top down doesn't really work very well or very easily.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

I think it's because people want to port SS13 over to a new engine, but they neglect to realize that the game developed over a decade from a whole mob of volunteer coders of questionable and varying skill levels. They want to replicate the game, but the reason the game is the amazing thing it is is because it's a horrible rats nest of code that's just been added to and added to for over 10 years now. Trying to replicate a house of cards from the top down doesn't really work very well or very easily.

I know. The reach exceeds their grasp every time. I feel like starting with a fun Space Mafia esque game and then building on that would be the smarter move. At least, before trying to put in a full fidelity atmospheric simulation

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stationeers wanted to do it but the development has slowed down to a crawl and probably won't recover. Plus it takes way too many resources to run for any sized playerbase, especially if you start factoring in atmospherics for a large base, it just doesn't translate well to a 3D medium.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone else pictures this as being said by someone locked in a padded cell covered in scrawled code for an atmospher simulator?

Atmospherics run fine on other servers. Parallelization is possible through DLLs.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Just chimin' in to say thanks to the admin who turned me into a talking monster-burger. For a scant few minutes I got to live the dream.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Dont Touch ME posted:

Atmospherics run fine on other servers. Parallelization is possible through DLLs.

What server has successfully offloaded atmos to native DLLs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

neogeo0823 posted:

honestly this is why i think the best approach would be sort of a core-and-module framework, like how Rimworld does things.

basically have the base, core game be a really bare-bones SS13-alike that doesn't have any of those horrible rats nest features... but leave the game wide open for anyone who knows their poo poo and wants to add those features, with modded server and Steam Workshop support and whatnot. a basic NewStation game would be pretty boring, but with work, you could turn it into Goonstation or BayStation or TG or what have you, and more easily than they did it with the BYOND version.

e: maybe an analogy would be something like Tabletop Simulator, but for 2D spaceman games instead of board games. TTS gives you the absolute barebones basics in its release package, but if you wanna play Arkham Horror or Carcassonne in it all you have to do is... go download it, because some nerd modded it in. and if it's not there, TTS doesn't make it overly hard to make it yourself.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 13, 2019