Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
christ how are people so loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Lol $7-8k for a 200k mile f150?

That doesn’t seem reasonable.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

colachute posted:

Lol $7-8k for a 200k mile f150?

That doesn’t seem reasonable.

Ehhhhhhh if it has a new transmission etc it’s not insane. Once you get that high mileage alone doesn’t tell the whole story.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Invest in trucks to retain my truck equity prior to buying my next truck.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

God damnit. I found the thread in one guess.

Anyway, have some potential TREE LAW:

Guy removed a tree and never asked for payment?

quote:

So back in December a guy came up to my house and said he removes trees and that one of the trees next to my house should come down soon as it's has a high risk of falling soon, especially with winter coming up. He quoted me for $650 to remove the tree and cleanup. I responded saying that we couldn't afford that at the moment, and we had a bit of back and forth regarding potential payment plans.

In the end, I never expressed explicit confirmation and he stopped contacting me. Then I came home one day and noticed the tree was down, and quite a bit of a mess around that side of the house. I asked a neighbor who said that someone came by and took down the tree, but clearly did a poor job of it as the tree wasn't cut down to the base.

Now it's May, nearly a full five months later, and I haven't heard anything from this guy. I slowly saved up and set aside the $650 but he just never followed up with me asking for payment. I'm not sure what to do about it now? Is there a precedent that after X amount of time you don't have to pay anymore? Should I reach out and ask him to finish the job?

Reply posted:

So you never agreed to the work being done and he did it anyway? You might be thinking about this the wrong way, there's a decent chance that he owes you money because he stole the tree. Legally speaking there was no agreement in place and he took the tree down, in the eyes of the courts he can be held to make you whole, that is replace it with a similar type and age of tree. Depending on location the courts can assign treble damages as well for things like this. You should crosspost to /r/legaladvice. Tree law and landlocked properties get people all kinds of excited over there.
chanting in the distance intensifies
tree law Tree Law TREE LAW

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dude that replied is definitely an ambulance chaser larper

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I see we got moved to AI and nobody noticed. :allears:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I noticed.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Found a running wrx for 2 grand. Should i nab it?

quote:

2002 WRX with 170k miles with 120k on the motor. Rust in usual areas. Rotted out subframe, no e brake, check light for exhaust leak, needs new battery and brakes. Been sitting for a year and is pretty dirty. Engine runs good and all lights work.

Should i get it and put work into it or could i find better for a little more if i wait and keep looki

Not the OP posted:

Jesus christ your post history is abhorrent.

Stop looking at a turbo car for under $5k. Engines, especially high mileage EJ's, are not what you need to be buying on a fixed budget like yours. When that engine blows, which with 120k on it will be soon, is going to be a poo poo ton more than the car you've just bought. And thats just for the block. If you manage to install and change it yourself you are still looking at ~2k for just the short block plus anything else.

Find yourself a decent Toyota or Honda with >200k miles and drive it into the ground while you save up and get in a better financial position.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Haifisch posted:

I see we got moved to AI and nobody noticed. :allears:

And the thread title didn't change to "BMW 2019"? For shame, Moneyball.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
God no, not another forums tour. Just keep us out of TFR

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
C-SPAM next

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You wouldn't.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I mean clearly he should buy a $600 car and turbocharge it

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

NumbersMatching320 posted:

That man needs a Gorester

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Omni GLH Turbo.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:getin:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This probably belongs in r/relationships, but this response was in this post:

Do most people actually have debt?

Not the OP posted:

Yep.
I hold a few of the debts of my friends and my ex-wife and I can tell you, some people have no idea of how to control themselves or make good financial decisions.
My exwife and I split and of course, I took the lions share of $170k of the debt we had together (because she ran the household finances) and she took $45k in credit card debt with her job earning about $100k a year at a separate job. Within a year and a half I had decimated the $170K down to about $40k due to good planning and changes to the business we both ran together *(that she was running into the ground). Then she came to me about four years after we split, my debts all paid off and money in the bank and told me she hadn't paid back anything on the cards but continued to spend ...and now she would like to borrow $105k. Far out.
Loaned her the money. Two and half years later and she had been faithfully repaying at the set rate and interest and she said "I did it again.' She borrowed another $100k and I got her to cut her cards up, owing me now $155k. At 9.5% interest so I'm ok.
I can easily see why so many people are in debt, most people are grotesquely dumb with no impulse control. This isn't me being harsh, this is the truth. I see it again and again and again.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
That poster needs to turn their monitor on. God dang.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cross posted from the best subforum in SA

quote:

Getting close to the finish line for ordering my Model 3. I just completing buying a home a couple of weeks ago, so I have the green light to buy the car, I'm just waiting closer to the end of the quarter to see if Elon decides to spice up the offer to boost Q2 numbers, especially after Q1 had such terrible numbers relatively speaking. 

In the time I've been waiting, the MR battery (the middle option) went away. That really put me in a bad mood for a while about everything because it meant I had to decide to spend $6K more on the LR RWD battery, or spend $2K less on the SR+ battery, but lose out on the premium interior and 20 miles of range. The range wasn't any issue, but losing out on the highest audio package which included a subwoofer, and losing internet streaming music was a bummer for me. I hemmed and hawed about trying to push myself to spend more and more. But then not only did the price of Full Self Driving go up $1K, but they also removed the LR RWD option as well, which then pushed me to have to go up another $2K. So now the different between LR AWD (Most expensive Model 3) and the SR+, is $10K. And for $10K, I have decided I can deal with a lesser audio experience (still the best I will ever have in a car by far), and will just have to use my phone's bluetooth for streaming music or TuneIn radio. I'll use $1000 or so in savings to get the windows tinted, a protective paint wrap or spray, a second charging cable to take with me at all times, nice floor mats, automatic struts for the frunk, and other add-ons I can do to the car.

Still looking at almost $52K for the car after taxes and destination fees. Still scares the hell out of me. But luckily I've been saving for about 41 months now and my car payments will be under $300 with a 60-month loan, about $250 if I make it 72 months instead.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

You really want to wipe out most of BFC with permabans from R. Guyovich?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cacafuego posted:

This probably belongs in r/relationships, but this response was in this post:

Do most people actually have debt?

Why the gently caress is this the top comment in that thread?

quote:

The fact you have never stressed about debt or had it is the reason you dont understand the relief of not having any. I would say the majority of people carry some type of debt. You'll realize soon it's fairly difficult to function as an adult without decent credit. And the only way to build credit is to put yourself in debt and show the lenders your responsible enough to pay it back

they also said

quote:

You are already doing better than most with that score. Keep being smart, and if you can live without debt it's the absolute smartest choice. Just make sure to always carry some though, even if it's just a small amount being paid each month like you mentioned. Good credit history will make a home loan so much easier

The gently caress.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I believe you mean :gritin:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BlackMK4 posted:

they also said

The gently caress.

What the hell.... My brain is exploding.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

they also said

The gently caress.

Aaaaaaaaa

I know it's not the answer but can we please just jettison these people into space and start over?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I tried to look up some automotive Bad With Money by searching for a list of the 10 worst car deals, but wound up reading Consumer Reports list of the 10 worst cars for 2019. They listed some cars that I am sure are bad and dumb, but they also listed the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Tacoma. I have never met an owner of either of those cars that regretted their purchase in the slightest. Is Consumer Reports Bad With Cars?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

therobit posted:

I tried to look up some automotive Bad With Money by searching for a list of the 10 worst car deals, but wound up reading Consumer Reports list of the 10 worst cars for 2019. They listed some cars that I am sure are bad and dumb, but they also listed the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Tacoma. I have never met an owner of either of those cars that regretted their purchase in the slightest. Is Consumer Reports Bad With Cars?

New cars are pretty solid these days even if some of them are overpriced and hideous.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

therobit posted:

there are really not any bad cars currently being sold in america

except certainly the Mitsubishi Mirage and arguably the Nissan Versa

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
There's a new Versa!

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/nissan/versa/2020/2020-nissan-versa-first-look-review/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can't buy it yet

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Consumer Reports is weird about cars. All its data is self reported from members, so your dataset is not necessarily good to base off the whole industry. It’s going to overreport poo poo like Subrarus and Honda’s and underreport Ford Raptors. The data will also nitpick because well...it’s from the kind of people who pay for a magazine called Consumer Reports.

It’s not bad data, but it’s skewed and there’s no way around that as long as most of it is self reported.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

spwrozek posted:

What the hell.... My brain is exploding.

It's not just me, right?? Somehow Reddit is getting dumber, louder, and ignorant or outright false poo poo is being voted up. The site has turned right-wing as all hell too, I accidentally logged off and saw the "real" front page.

Wtf, a lot of hateful regressive poo poo being passed off as "opinions." A lot of moaning about PC culture etc. I stayed logged off out of sheer fascination and it seems consistent. Is this just a side effect of increased internet access across the board?

I'm probably just getting old and don't have a cloud to yell at

E: there's also some blatantly clickbaity left wing stuff so maybe it's just getting trashier in general

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 14, 2019

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

The opposite happens to me if I'm logged out. :confused:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I [30] will be expected to support my boyfriend's [35] family if we get serious and won't be able to have kids ourselves because of this, what to do? Relationships
submitted 5 hours ago * by crunchlee3

quote:

I am in a long distance relationship with a man from Africa who no longer lives there who helps to support his childhood family (parents) plus multiple grown up siblings and then he has agreed to support about six of his nieces and nephews through school. His siblings have financial issues cause there are few jobs where they live.

Because of this my boyfriend has no money himself. Also, he is actually unemployed right now as he refuses to get a menial job, so he borrows money from friends under the guise of it being for himself but he then gives it to his family and is now over $10,000 in debt to acquaintances. His siblings put huge pressure on him to give them money and have told him that their kids will starve if he doesn't give them money and it's his fault.

We live in different countries right now but the understanding is that in the next six months we will move to the same country and live together and maybe get married. I am highly educated with a profession and have no debt. I am also a very hard worker while he tends to like to just stay home and watch TV all day whilst asking people for money that he can't repay and then just drinks, so I think that will be his future work ethic, still I love him a huge amount despite this.

There are a few financial hurdles I am facing because of this:

- Because of my profession I will always earn more than him and so I anticipate that I will have to pay off or help pay off all his debts and then support his family and extended family indefinitely.
- He says because he has to support his family financially and support his nieces and nephews we can't have our own children and that if I want to stay with him that's the deal. This upsets me because why should his brothers and sisters get to have kids (when they knew the situation they were bringing the kids into) that I, a stranger, will ultimately support, but my boyfriend and I can't have our own kids. I feel that even if we do somehow have our own kids our kids will go without and I will feel resentful, because we are spending so much money on his family.
- I have my own family to take care of financially when they get older (mother and father).
- He gets angry when I spend (my) money on something he deems isn't worthy like a taxi or a meal out but yet he borrows money from people and then spends it all on expensive clothes, alcohol and other toys.
tl;dr - not sure what I should do about my long distance boyfriend who supports his entire family.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I [30] will be expected to support my boyfriend's [35] family if we get serious and won't be able to have kids ourselves because of this, what to do? Relationships
submitted 5 hours ago * by crunchlee3
This reads like a dogwhistle.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

It sounds like a long list of reasons why she regrets her whole relationship with him, hates everything about him and then welp, I’m still gonna marry him because of ~~love~~.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

It sounds like a long list of reasons why she regrets her whole relationship with him, hates everything about him and then welp, I’m still gonna marry him because of ~~love~~.

It's a hard-working caucasian woman giving all her money to the lazy, unemployed immigrant who takes the money from <insert white homeland of preference here> and sends it to his family back in Africa.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

sounds like another reason to not date white South Africans. as if Elon Musk wasn't reason enough.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

If you're the one who hears it....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Thanatosian posted:

Most of TIFU/Relationships/AskReddit/etc are creative writing exercises these days. Reddit is turning into a cesspool at lightspeed.