Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

BWV posted:

Chelsea wants to by Coutinho and Barca wants to by La Cassette sending Gomes and Umittit maybe (which would be dumb). Manu wants Rakitic (apparently even more after that story of him attacking gay fat dwarves resurfaced)

i don't think arsenal will sell one of their 2 good players unless its for coutinho money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

pik_d posted:

Weird that this comes out a day after City winning the league.

In any case there will almost certainly be one hell of a legal battle if this happens. I honestly don't know who will win either. If City wins though, FFP could be rendered meaningless.

How do you feel about all the leaks and stories regarding City’s financial practices? Does it feel like a frame-up to City fans?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Lacazette to Barca is a very convenient rumour given the new top brass has said when players have two years remaining on their contract they either renegotiate or are sold... think his agent is just looking for a better salary.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Brony Car posted:

How do you feel about all the leaks and stories regarding City’s financial practices? Does it feel like a frame-up to City fans?

Yeah a lot of City fans see it that way. The timing of articles like this, the emails being stolen, the fact that it seems to never end, literally having David Gill pushing for City sanctions. There's plenty of :tinfoil: thrown in of course, and I could believe any football club owner has done their share of shady finances, but the overall feeling is that City are being made an example of.

But there's also the feeling that City could win if they take UEFA/FIFA to court given that PSG basically got nothing, and FFP overall could proven illegal.

I honestly don't know, it's difficult enough to sort through the idiots to find people who know what they're talking about, if it happens it happens I guess.

Edit: These are literally back to back posts on City's forum about this "new" potential banning:

quote:

How can financial fair play claim to have the welfare of a football club at the forefront of it's campaign when teams like Bolton are on the rails?

The pretence is laughable. The only reason F.F.P. was brought in was to prevent M.C.F.C from achieving European dominance.

quote:

It's been a witch hunt against City from the very beginning of ffp. We all know it was brought in for the sole purpose of stopping us and they have failed. We shouldn't just go to CAS if charged, but to the highest Court in Europe as well. This scam that is ffp needs to be challenged fully for the corrupt cartel protecting sham that it is.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 13, 2019

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
FFP - Illegal

Using slave labor and killing thousands to build stadiums in six-digit degree weather - Very legal, very cool!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

FFP is just the usual conglomerate of arseholes wanting to have the most money indefinitely innit.
Same as this new champions league they want.
gently caress them and give me my boro billionaire.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TheBigAristotle posted:

FFP - Illegal

Using slave labor and killing thousands to build stadiums in six-digit degree weather - Very legal, very cool!

This is a helpful post that brings new ideas to the discussion and everyone is very happy you posted it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I must admit, I have no trouble believing in a FIFA/UEFA conspiracy in general terms, I just don't see what anybody there has to gain by loving City over. It's not like they're the only club bankrolled by oil money, and they're not exactly running roughshod over the CL.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Feels almost like they were waiting for the PL season to end :thunk:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

tarbrush posted:

I must admit, I have no trouble believing in a FIFA/UEFA conspiracy in general terms, I just don't see what anybody there has to gain by loving City over. It's not like they're the only club bankrolled by oil money, and they're not exactly running roughshod over the CL.

Make an example of City to protect the current dominant status of the big clubs like Bayern, Real, Juve, etc. it’s not rocket science.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
If they really wanted an effective “financial fair play” model, they would utilize spending and wage caps. But they don’t so they won’t.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Someone make a transfer thread

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

TheBigAristotle posted:

FFP - Illegal

Racism, also cool?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Someone make a transfer thread

You make it you lazy oval office.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Shrapnig posted:

You make it you lazy oval office.

Sorry too busy saving lives

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

FFP - Illegal

6 digit?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

:rolleyes:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

by putting people to sleep with your posts?!?!?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Remember when you posted in PWM from the operating room or whatever

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

pik_d posted:

Yeah a lot of City fans see it that way. The timing of articles like this, the emails being stolen, the fact that it seems to never end, literally having David Gill pushing for City sanctions. There's plenty of :tinfoil: thrown in of course, and I could believe any football club owner has done their share of shady finances, but the overall feeling is that City are being made an example of.

But there's also the feeling that City could win if they take UEFA/FIFA to court given that PSG basically got nothing, and FFP overall could proven illegal.

I honestly don't know, it's difficult enough to sort through the idiots to find people who know what they're talking about, if it happens it happens I guess.

Edit: These are literally back to back posts on City's forum about this "new" potential banning:

I wouldn't be surprised if City was being penalized for not greasing enough palms at UEFA, but from the leaked materials, it does look like City engaged in a lot of tricky accounting to get around FFP.

What are the legal grounds for finding FFP unlawful?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

This is a helpful post that brings new ideas to the discussion and everyone is very happy you posted it.

It was a hanging curve, what was I supposed to do?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

lmao nice spot... I'm a moron

Sincerely, a moron

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Brony Car posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if City was being penalized for not greasing enough palms at UEFA, but from the leaked materials, it does look like City engaged in a lot of tricky accounting to get around FFP.

What are the legal grounds for finding FFP unlawful?

As a American who has no real dealings with EU law, most of what I've heard is dealing with EU free trade and FFP restricting that. I found a decent quote that definitely wasn't from reddit about this:

quote:

The EU has a number of directives (laws), and fundamental one is absolute Free Trade within the EU. FFP restricts trade and therefore should be considered illegal.

But, the EU recognises that there will be situations where there are "overriding public interest" reasons for directives to be not enforced. If this is the case then the 'rules imposed' must cause the least possible impact on the directive, and there must be no reasonable alternative that causes less impact on the directive.

Uefa have publicly engaged with this situation. They accept, as they must, that FFP breaks a EU Directive, but they have stated that if a club brings them to court they would use the "Overriding Public Interest" defence, and would be able to demonstrate FFP was necessary to preserve clubs, and that there are no reasonable alternatives. (Ironically they also said they would win because they can hire the best lawyers)

So if City brought Uefa to court, Uefa would accept FFP broke the rules. There would then be a long court case where Uefa must prove there is "Overriding Public Interest" for the breaking the rules, and that FFP has least impact possible, with no reasonable alternatives.

It's accepted that Uefa would be able to demonstrate "Overriding Public Interest" but only on the grounds it was needed to stop the bankruptcy (bad debt), because clubs that are historical community assets that must not be lost. But the problem for Uefa is that the rules that block wealthy owners putting money into clubs don't 'work' with the this aim. It's perverse to argue that stopping owners putting money into clubs helps a clubs finances.

Uefa were not willing to take City on in the courts on this matter.

(Edit: I've got some experience of working with EU directives & courts via the habitats directives)

One of the other things that City fans use as ammo when talking about this is that Khaldoon literally told Infantino that he "would rather spend 30 million on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue them (UEFA) for the next 10 years [than accept sanctions]", which I think owns bones.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yes he's a billionaire who doesn't give a poo poo about spending money for his pet project

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jose posted:

Yes he's a billionaire who doesn't give a poo poo about spending money for his pet project

You're thinking Sheikh Mansour, but I get your point. Khaldoon Al Mubarak is the chairman of City, and CFG as a whole.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

pik_d posted:

One of the other things that City fans use as ammo when talking about this is that Khaldoon literally told Infantino that he "would rather spend 30 million on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue them (UEFA) for the next 10 years [than accept sanctions]", which I think owns bones.

I think it makes him sound like a proper oval office

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I have no doubt we used some 'creative accounting' to get around the FFP rules however when I have absolutely zero faith that the FFP rules were anything other than an attempt to stop new money clubs from breaking up the hegemony of the old guard then I give no fucks and UEFA can go eat a dick.

UEFA don't give a gently caress about the financial health of clubs or parasitic owners they just want more money, forever

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

I have no doubt we used some 'creative accounting' to get around the FFP rules however when I have absolutely zero faith that the FFP rules were anything other than an attempt to stop new money clubs from breaking up the hegemony of the old guard then I give no fucks and UEFA can go eat a dick.

UEFA don't give a gently caress about the financial health of clubs or parasitic owners they just want more money, forever

Pretty much this. "We don't like your particular brand of corruption and rules lawyering" says corrupt, rules lawyering organisation.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Racism, also cool?

Ban the racist slave owners. Problem solved.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
FFP has some good aspects, its basically the reason why PSG have gaping holes in their midfield right now as they spaffed so much on Neymar and Mbappe that they then couldnt go out and spaff more on someone like Kante, so are having to settle on someone like Herrera on a free transfer.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Racism, also cool?

What racism? They literally have people trapped in their country, dying, building stadiums.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

wooger posted:

What racism? They literally have people trapped in their country, dying, building stadiums.

Who is they and what country are you referring to

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

wooger posted:

Unless I'm missing something you're talking about Qatar, right?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Its not like Gulf state wankery is confined to Qatar, they are all utter cunts.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
abi dhabis a utopia

you can literally buy gold from vending machines there

and if you can make it there

you can make it anywhere

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The most expensive pint I've ever bought was in Dubai airport and it took a lot of searching to find the place selling it

That's my UAE story

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
how much did the pint cost

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

£11.43 if I used xe.coms exchange rate but it was in an airport using my credit card so likely considerably worse. My card doesn't charge for use abroad though

It was a pint of Heineken and I bought 3

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I hope City are banned from the Champions League forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Gorn Myson posted:

I hope City are banned from the Champions League forever
You forgot to mention the Premier League.