Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Ragnar34 posted:

There's a new Hades update with a new keepsake. Anyone know what it does?

According to the discord, it gives you a brief period of invuln whenever you're hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Huh. That could be amazing or worthless. Thanks for the answer.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

There's this game I used to play when I was a kid that probably came on some shareware cd called Evets. Anyone play it? It was a roguelike but you created a party and had Wizardry style battles. Found this link regarding it: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2011/03/game-49-evets-ultimate-adventure-1988.html

Thought you guys might get a kick out of it. I just remember it being brutally hard but I was a stupid kid so not sure.

Actually reading more of that dude's blog post I guess it wasn't really a roguelike? I just remembered thinking it was since it had similar graphics to the dos rogue port.

Social Animal fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 10, 2019

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I finally tried Synthetik yesterday and it's great but I'm lost. Can someone tell me about things I need to know? I seem to be maining Assassin(?). I feel like the one run where I got far-ish (past first boss) I was seeing packages drop but I couldn't interact with them. Am I missing controls or something? Also what are cores and screws for? I'm pretty confused.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Funktor posted:

I was seeing packages drop but I couldn't interact with them. Am I missing controls or something?

Yes. IIRC your inventory is full. Right-click and drag the item to the recycle icon to free up a slot.

I think the cores form a one-use heart item that will boost your max health, and the other I cannot remember atm.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The bolts just give you an item when you get all of them. It might be biased to be rare or something, I don't know, but they're basically free so you might as well collect them.

Copy-pasting from the last time someone asked for Synthetik advice:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I mostly only played the version before they doubled the number of classes, so some of this may be outdated, but most of it should hold I think.

Use your active items. The easiest way is to lead off the fights with them, so e.g. drop a stun grenade and then shoot them while they're stunned, or summon a turret to draw aggro while you kill things. Using actives well will reduce the amount of damage you take and therefore keep you alive.

The utility of summons are pretty much directly related to how much health they have and how willing they are to draw enemy attention. They can kill things, but that's not their primary purpose. I find the "summons a phasing cyborg" item to be worse than other summons mostly because the summon likes to take cover.

Prioritize extra movespeed if you can get it. This is mostly because of the jet boss' machinegun attack, but it's also really useful in general. After that I like to prioritize extra money, and then luck.

I mostly spend my money on item upgrades and buying the occasional item I know I like from past experience. In other words, I don't buy guns much at all. They're expensive, and most guns you find are good enough to be worth using.

Every non-boss level should have a bolt and a piece of the heart core, until you assemble them. So keep an eye out. The heart core in particular you want to finish ASAP mostly because you don't want to get it when your inventory is already full.

megane posted:

The basic pattern is "stick and move": move or dash a few steps, stop for a moment to aim, fire, and immediately move again. If you're getting damaged or overwhelmed, don't be afraid to just back the gently caress away and reset the fight. As with any RL, you want to keep the number of enemies you're fighting as small as possible and start every fight on your terms instead of theirs, preferably by blowing the most dangerous guy's head off.

A lot of weapons are kind of crap. :shrug: It's hard to make generalizations, but ARs are mostly great, SMGs are mostly bad, and while snipers and DMRs are fun to use they are worthless against bosses. Shotguns are a mixed bag; they're powerful but very dangerous to use.

Items are useful, but hard to remember to use. It's fine if you mostly just grab passive ones so you don't have to worry about them, but don't forget your heal or whatever's your default right click since they're generally impetant for your class.

The Lego planes are loving asshats; the key to beating them is to bait out their shield (by shooting them once and then kiting) and their taser shot (by dancing around). The goddamn rock-dropping crystal doodads in stage 3 are awful too; the best solution to those is to just run in circles and lay into them from a distance without ever stopping to aim.

There is no shame in dying to disco.

e: beaten, but our advice is nicely non-overlapping

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Larn still yet lives. Still. Again~

https://github.com/atsb/freelarn/releases/tag/CENTAUR

Omega remains pretty much the one most left behind comparatively out of that classic crop.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Been a bit since I posted an update, but we've steadily been hacking away at EFA again, after a brief break at the start of the year.

https://twitter.com/ghostknot_games/status/1127961861331271681

I'm striving towards having full controller support and a radi(c)al menu seemed like a great fit for that.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Angryhead posted:

Been a bit since I posted an update, but we've steadily been hacking away at EFA again, after a brief break at the start of the year.

https://twitter.com/ghostknot_games/status/1127961861331271681

I'm striving towards having full controller support and a radi(c)al menu seemed like a great fit for that.

That looks great! I think that you're pretty much the only one out of that crop of winter games that's still going, huh? Or am I misremembering where you started from?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

That looks great! I think that you're pretty much the only one out of that crop of winter games that's still going, huh? Or am I misremembering where you started from?

Thanks! That's where spider wisdom n' me started, yeah. 2 and a half years ago, jesus christ. Can't speak for certain the other teams, but seems like it. The only Discord group I've been trying to keep my eye on is the Dungeonmans one, where Vertigon posts about Auto Fire.
Maybe we'll get better about posting updates about EFA online too - but let's be honest, probably not by a whole lot.
But I'll certainly posts here again if we do an updated release, which has been brewing for a while...
Speaking of, I tweeted a thread about updates from the past half-year about a month ago:
https://twitter.com/RVillberg/status/1117337345387266049

some dog pictures within it too :angel:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

The Binding of Isaac is loving awful.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

So I thought of Gearhead for some reason, which I've never played, so I went and looked and there's Gearhead 1, Gearhead 2, and Gearhead Caramel. Caramel's still in development so I'll hold off on trying that, but if I only try either 1 or 2 which should I go with, and why? I seem to remember from...nowhere in particular that 2 is a very different game to 1 and not just better, but that's a memory of a memory.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BaconCopter posted:

Keep in mind you're coming at it after having already played a bunch of Gungeon which basically takes BoI and iteratively improves onto it, and that BoI is from, like, 2-3 gaming generations ago.

It certainly hasn't aged well, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BaconCopter posted:

It's the GOAT, op

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Keep in mind you're coming at it after having already played a bunch of Gungeon which basically takes BoI and iteratively improves onto it, and that BoI is from, like, 2-3 gaming generations ago.

It certainly hasn't aged well, though.

It was bad when it came out, too. The game plays like a lovely flash app and the gameplay got worse as they added more content to it. The awful edgelord aesthetic they were going for doesn't do it any favors, either.

I have no idea how the people who made Super Meat Boy made something that feels so mushy to control.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

So I thought of Gearhead for some reason, which I've never played, so I went and looked and there's Gearhead 1, Gearhead 2, and Gearhead Caramel. Caramel's still in development so I'll hold off on trying that, but if I only try either 1 or 2 which should I go with, and why? I seem to remember from...nowhere in particular that 2 is a very different game to 1 and not just better, but that's a memory of a memory.

IIRC 1 has a more complete story campaign but I haven't played much of 2.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Binding of Isaac deserves credit for popularizing a subgenre, most of the good action roguelikes wouldn't exist if it weren't for BoI. It's kind of like Dredmor in that regard. Not a good game, but still an important one.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It was bad when it came out, too. The game plays like a lovely flash app and the gameplay got worse as they added more content to it. The awful edgelord aesthetic they were going for doesn't do it any favors, either.

I have no idea how the people who made Super Meat Boy made something that feels so mushy to control.

This. Truly horrid controls, infinite poo pee and abortion jokes, the game somehow got substantially worse with updates, and it's a baby game easy. The only difficult part is that you have to know what EVERY single item does and the knowledge that pills are (now) entirely a trap.

Most of my 40 hours of wasted play time were done before Nuclear Throne or Gungeon even came out. Game is poo poo, was poo poo, and has always been poo poo.

PMush Perfect posted:

Binding of Isaac deserves credit for popularizing a subgenre, most of the good action roguelikes wouldn't exist if it weren't for BoI. It's kind of like Dredmor in that regard. Not a good game, but still an important one.

This right here is its only redeeming quality.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah I give isaac credit for being very influential and inspiring a lot of nice games, but I will never go back to it and nuclear throne has totally obsoleted it by feeling way better to play, not being extremely RNG-driven and not having an atrocious aesthetic

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nuclear throne is honed to a mirror sheen. i've always wished they would expand on the game since i would give them money in a heartbeat but what we have now is just great anyways.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

nuclear throne is honed to a mirror sheen. i've always wished they would expand on the game since i would give them money in a heartbeat but what we have now is just great anyways.

Yeah I definitely agree. It's kind of why I'm interested in anything that looks remotely similar, like that "Blazing Beaks" game that recently came out.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I think Isaac controls like a dream. And, for some reason, i could play it on the 3DS, which was extremely fun.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Isaac has always felt like the devs wanted it to be similar to Super Smash TV but had a stroke and the piss and poo poo they expelled onto their PC was miraculously turned into the actual gameplay.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I would probably enjoy boi but the graphic style is so off-putting to me so I've never wanted to even try it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Stark Fist posted:

I think Isaac controls like a dream. And, for some reason, i could play it on the 3DS, which was extremely fun.
An actually good game could be built on Isaac's engine, I think. But with so many other options now, why bother?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

I would play it another zillion hours if they just made it run at 60 FPS.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

netcat posted:

I would probably enjoy boi but the graphic style is so off-putting to me so I've never wanted to even try it.

Yep. Both the general appearance of the game, and the whole trading on tropes of abuse and grossness to make an arena shooter more compelling total up to Not My Thing. Up until this point in the thread I assumed it was universally well-regarded by rogue-likers, though.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I put in a bunch of hours before deciding I didnt need that aesthetic beamed onto my eyelids as I slept. I thought the sheer amount of synergy and interplay between items, and the unpredictability of that was brilliant - even though it was 'mushy' it was nice not have 'get to level-a-billion and bump a symbol that means cockatrice without having gloves on and not having a lizard corpse YASD' be part of the gameplay, you play till you die (hour max) working with the RNG gods as always, and unlock more random stuff for the world to generate. BoI and Spelunky (are they the same time-period? First time I'd encountered either style of rogulike anyway) seemed really novel ideas to me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
actually lizard corpses can only prevent the delayed stoning effect caused by a cockatrice's hissing attack; touching the corpse without gloves is instant death
:goonsay:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

doctorfrog posted:

Yep. Both the general appearance of the game, and the whole trading on tropes of abuse and grossness to make an arena shooter more compelling total up to Not My Thing. Up until this point in the thread I assumed it was universally well-regarded by rogue-likers, though.

I think it is that "Meltdown May" thing I keep hearing about.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

actually lizard corpses can only prevent the delayed stoning effect caused by a cockatrice's hissing attack; touching the corpse without gloves is instant death
:goonsay:

hahahaha its been a while since I played at this point. I want to blame mindflayers for my ineptitude but am afraid the way I do so wont be consistent enough with the mechanics.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only thing I definitely enjoyed about isaac without reservation was the soundtrack, and then they lost Danny B.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I loved BoI because it gave me Legend of Zelda vibes which I played the hell out of as a kid.

On a seperate note, anything Vlambeer puts out is golden.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The worst thing BoI popularized is the "unlock things that get added to the loot pool" mechanic. It's always garbage, except for in Monolith where you can apparently toggle off unlocks, so you can't screw up by unlocking bad things. Even so, it's possibly the most boring form of progression ever - unlocking the CHANCE that an item will drop does not feel like a reward.

I am willing to accept that there are people out there that enjoy that mechanic, and that to some degree it's a matter of taste. I just don't understand it or like it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How would you prefer to handle the case where you want your game to have a lot of variability from one playthrough to the next in terms of the player's capabilities?

If I recall correctly, Isaac does also bias the drop rate of newly-unlocked items so that they're likely to show up in your next few playthroughs.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How would you prefer to handle the case where you want your game to have a lot of variability from one playthrough to the next in terms of the player's capabilities?

If I recall correctly, Isaac does also bias the drop rate of newly-unlocked items so that they're likely to show up in your next few playthroughs.

I like the way Wizard of Legend does it where everything is in the pool from the start, but you can unlock more options for your starting loadout.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Truspeaker posted:

The worst thing BoI popularized is the "unlock things that get added to the loot pool" mechanic. It's always garbage, except for in Monolith where you can apparently toggle off unlocks, so you can't screw up by unlocking bad things. Even so, it's possibly the most boring form of progression ever - unlocking the CHANCE that an item will drop does not feel like a reward.

I am willing to accept that there are people out there that enjoy that mechanic, and that to some degree it's a matter of taste. I just don't understand it or like it.

That mechanic is pretty good imo. Many players won't stay engaged without some kind of metagame progression/unlock mechanic, and as far as progression goes it's much better than the roguelikelikelikelikelikes where you unlock some permanent character upgrade after each run so after a day or two of grinding you can now oneshot everything on levels 1-3 and only start playing when you reach level 4.
Unlocking alternate classes or other character-creation-time choices is pretty good too though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
all unlockables are bad

the beauty of roguelikes is their laser-focus on gameplay as problem solving, and the fact that the only demand they make on your time is for you to develop the skill to beat them

unlockables go directly against that

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

all unlockables are bad

the beauty of roguelikes is their laser-focus on gameplay as problem solving, and the fact that the only demand they make on your time is for you to develop the skill to beat them

unlockables go directly against that

When your game has a significant learning curve to it, unlockables help retain your players' attention span while they build that learning curve. It sucks to die early in a game; it sucks less if the game says "but hey, you unlocked a thing during that run!" That's basically the entire point of unlockables and the only reason the things they provide aren't unlocked by default.

One semi-common approach to this is to have the unlockables only apply to certain game modes, and if you want to play the "true roguelike" mode then everything starts out unlocked and you lose all access to metaprogression. Necrodancer and 20XX both do this, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

For sure, the Rogue Legacy/immortal redneck progression is infinitely worse. I do like unlocking different starter loadouts or pieces of loadouts, if those choices are either simple or meaningful (or both!). I think the way Nuclear Throne does it is pretty good, but mostly because it doesn't get in the way - it's something to work towards if you are into it.

Then again I think I like just about every decision NT makes over most roguelites, except that the last patch STILL hasn't come to ps4.