Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Honestly I’m still not sure what they wanted. To kill Bran because he’s a walking Wikipedia article about the known world, in hopes it would wipe out humanity? There’s three other continents in ASOIAF outside of Westeros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jay_Zombie posted:

GoT Series Finale Prediction:

Camera pans down to see a young Bran Stark, laying on the ground, his direwolf pup licking his face.
Hodor runs up, "7 Hells Bran! Are you ok? That was quite a fall!"
Bran blinks, sits up and says, "Hodor, I had the strangest dream, Jamie was with Cersie, my father was beheaded, there were dragons and zombies. You were an idiot! Everyone died! I was a wizard!"
Hodor looks at Bran quizzically, "It's alright friend, it was just a dream. You're safe now. You're with us."
Hodor reaches up, and pulls off his own face, revealing a demon possessed Dr. Weir from Event Horizon, "You're with us."
Firestarter by The Prodigy blasts through the speakers. Roll credits. ]

Would own

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

Honestly I’m still not sure what they wanted. To kill Bran because he’s a walking Wikipedia article about the known world, in hopes it would wipe out humanity? There’s three other continents in ASOIAF outside of Westeros.

The writers literally just had nothing for Bran to do haha it's great.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh poo poo is Dany going to somehow figure out Davos was in on it too?! 😭

looks like grilled onion is back on the menu boys

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Buck Wildman posted:

real talk I've always wanted to be one of those poor extras in these big fantasy battles who gets that split second shot of catching an axe with their face or getting dragon'd, just a shaky cam cut of me going BLURGH spray of blood and gone

I feel like that's a thing you could laugh over with friends in the future and at parties "yeah I'm the footman who totally ate poo poo in season 8 episode 5"

I think everybody can get behind that, it’s part of the fun of moviemaking.

“Lol, look at this dumb bastard, eyes ain’t even pointing in the same direction!” :v:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I was curious about how the parents who named their kids after Dany felt after the last episode:

quote:

Chanel Stout, a medical scheduler in Florida and mother to a 14-month-old named Daenerys, also isn’t a fan of how Dany’s story is playing out, but she’s not turning her back on the Queen. “[Sunday’s episode] doesn’t change how I feel about Dany at all,” she writes in an email. “I definitely think she was justified. I think the show is rushing her character arc, but what can you do.” And if her feelings about the character haven’t changed, then her feelings about the name certainly haven’t, either. “I have no regrets at all!”

quote:

Another Texan, Katherine Acosta, opted for “Khaleesi” instead of “Daenerys,” when naming her and her husband’s 13-month-old daughter. (That decision — along with the fact that Acosta says she discovered GOT while she was recovering from an earlier miscarriage — has already brought her family a good amount of press.) Despite her preference for Khaleesi, Acosta is just like the other parents we interviewed: unfazed by the massacre at King’s Landing. “I honestly think she did what she had to do,” Acosta says. “This isn’t Disney, this is Game of Thrones. We know there’s never going to be happy endings.”

:thunk: I don't think these people should serve on jury duty

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
"This isn't Disney" i assure myself as i ram my lovely dragon into king's landing

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

a lot of the complaints/proposed fixes seem to centre around Dany becoming "unethical": the city surrenders, but a soldier hiding among the innocents attacks her; Dany decides killing Cersei is worth some collateral civilian casualties; the smallfolk resist her rule, so she makes an example of them.

but the turn isn't about Dany becoming pragmatically amoral or even ruthlessly principled - her turn is succumbing to madness. it's not that she makes an ugly but rational decision in service of her goals, it's that she abandons rationality altogether in favour of a self-serving 'emotional' logic that is ultimately self-destructive. "hmm yes but what would the 7 kingdoms think" just isn't relevant to her state of mind.

of course, the writing and overall direction of the show is trash and has been trash for 4 seasons, so it's kinda academic. if we had more episodes I like the idea someone had of Rhaegal being fatally wounded in the ambush and dying slowly over the course of the battle preparations, and Dany's emotional state deteriorating correspondingly. Dany deserved a slow burn.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Mister Fister posted:

I was curious about how the parents who named their kids after Dany felt after the last episode:

Yeah, I predicted this would be the reaction. I figured the quickest reconciliation of that dissonance would be 'Eh, edgy titty and dragon show, Dany was justified!'

Boy are they going to feel silly for endorsing genocide when it turns out Bran warged Drogon.

Lt. Danger posted:

a lot of the complaints/proposed fixes seem to centre around Dany becoming "unethical": the city surrenders, but a soldier hiding among the innocents attacks her; Dany decides killing Cersei is worth some collateral civilian casualties; the smallfolk resist her rule, so she makes an example of them.

Agreed. Making Dany's 'snap' seem morally ambiguous or even justified as kind of wrecks the heel-turn. She's not supposed to be able to use the 'momentary insanity' defence; she's batshit. Regardless, as you can see above, people are plenty willing to excuse unapologetic genocide for their favourite Dragon queen.

I think the only good solution had to have been in advance. The snap could still be extreme compared to earlier events, but we needed at least a couple more events on the level of Varys (i.e. morally ambiguous characters or someone we care about) to be satisfying.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 15, 2019

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

bran warged dany to turn Westeros against her

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bip Roberts posted:

I think I said it before but we really need an honest to god boner

The Wire is the only mainstream TV show I can think of that had one.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

RE: The Rhaegal should have been ambushed killed with scorpions after the bells ring and thats what sets off Dany to go nuts.

Please add, Euron fires the bolt and screams "I hosed THE QUEEN" as he shoots it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How the poo poo were Jaime and Cersei supposed to row across the drat ocean to Pentos? It's not like Gendry would have been with them.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I said come in! posted:

Incorrect, they would bone one another.

Show Euron is basically Kano from MK11, so it fits entirely.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

but the turn isn't about Dany becoming pragmatically amoral or even ruthlessly principled - her turn is succumbing to madness. it's not that she makes an ugly but rational decision in service of her goals, it's that she abandons rationality altogether in favour of a self-serving 'emotional' logic that is ultimately self-destructive. "hmm yes but what would the 7 kingdoms think" just isn't relevant to her state of mind.

of course, the writing and overall direction of the show is trash and has been trash for 4 seasons, so it's kinda academic. if we had more episodes I like the idea someone had of Rhaegal being fatally wounded in the ambush and dying slowly over the course of the battle preparations, and Dany's emotional state deteriorating correspondingly. Dany deserved a slow burn.

Cersei ignoring the rules of war and using the bells to do some guerrilla warfare from within the civilian population is totally on brand and better than her just staring out a window and smirking.

Dany burning down KL after that wouldn't be pragmatic or ruthlessly principled, it'd just be one more thing Cersei does that pushes her over the edge, making the heel turn slightly more understandable.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Whilst real world sackings are legit the strategy behind them was often for radically different purposes. Sacking is great as a tool for rapid conquest when raiding but not so useful for consolidating your own power base. The Dothraki have taken some clear inspiration from the Mongol empire (including the crown of gold thing) but even Genghis Khan would mostly let cities surrender if they did it quickly enough. There are some historical reports of coloured tents being used to show the price of surrender (white = we take your stuff but you all live, red = we take your stuff and kill all the men, black = you are all going to die and the city will burn) which let psychological warfare win most of the battles and let the empire expand rapidly with minimal losses. Genghis Khan definitely burnt some cities to the ground because he felt personally slighted though and it's generally an example you only have to make once. But again, this is for conquest, not consolidation. This is a show where armies regularly line up outside of their own castle walls because it looks really dramatic(?) though so I guess sensible military choices shouldn't be expected at this point.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bip Roberts posted:

Dany could hold a red hot dragon egg in her hands early season 1.

The very first scene we see her in, she gets into a scalding hot bath and her servants warn her "No! It's too hot!" or similar.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Lt. Danger posted:

Yeah, I said earlier that if the reason is "she's just batshit crazy" it makes some sense, but I don't think the show's going to run with that. If she's just giggling while roasting babies next week too that'll be a bold and unexpected move, but I am about 90% sure either the show or just Dany herself will play off the city burning as "aww, like 20 people died. a shame but unavoidable." and she will appear mostly rational and wonder why Jon is betraying her more.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Zaphod42 posted:

She says "When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who have wronged me. We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground."

First, she's obviously talking big game because she's desperate and about to die out completely if she doesn't get in. She's likely bluffing. But she specifically says "those who wrong me" and "armies". She does say burn cities to the ground, and so if you really really really stretch that could include burning innocents in a city that otherwise wronged her. But man that's a stretch and its no guarantee she'd do it, and she could easily let the innocents out of the city first or whatever.

Here's someone's compilation of all the possible excuses for this

https://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a27447896/daenerys-targaryen-mad-queen-game-of-thrones/

Those are all her threatening or killing people who have directly hosed her up. And as we have said ITT like 1,000 times now, Dany turning evil is fine with us.

But to turn so evil as to kill babies when you don't even need to?

I could see her killing lots of people as collateral damage on accident because she's got her eyes on the prize.

I could see her killing lots of people because its the ONLY WAY to stop Cersei.

But I can't see her killing lots of innocent people when the war's already over and done with.

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/13/18617389/game-of-thrones-daenerys-targaryen-season-8-episode-5-mad-queen

I've never seen anyone defend a position this vociferously in my entire life, and I grew up having internet. It's really striking how right you are, and how wrong everyone who doesn't agree with you is

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this show has been bad for two seasons and the public has still loved it, now it's SO bad that popular sentiment has turned on it so all of a sudden internet contrarians are all 'no it's good'.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

maybe drogon saw a bee

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mister Fister posted:

This is just mental gymnastics, if they don't regret it now they will later but they probably won't admit it.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

The Dark Project posted:

Be honest, if this were at all a possibility, would you wait for this show to do something like this? Or perhaps a reshoot/reordering to add more to the show's already existing footage?

It won't happen, but would you want it to?

just make an animated 10 eps lol

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Just Chamber posted:

Out of curiosity once a show is over are actors usually forbidden by contacts from saying how much they hated the show? Or is that just deemed as unprofessional? Curious to hear what Emilia Clarke thinks of her turn once this is all over and done with as she's clearly not been happy in interviews.

pretty sure harrington is already talking about how much he hates the ending so no

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Just Chamber posted:

No one else knew about the destroying the city thing except for I think Jaime and the pyromancers and he stabbed him in the back for it.

Also at that point the Mad King was full on babbling mad:

They rebelled because he was a cruel tyrant who burnt people for fun, killed high ranking members of the Stark family, and also because it was perceived that a Targ had kidnapped Lyanna stark (Who Robert was in love with) among other things.

The only way to justify what Dany just did is to say she's as mad as he was and that's clearly not the case.

Also Tywin was supposed to be bringing his army to aid Aerys, not sack the city. This was after Rhaegar had been defeated at the Trident and the alliance was coming to besiege KL; Tywin switched sides and Jaime warned Aerys "Hey my dad is a calculating jerk, don't trust him"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

panda clue posted:

I don't know why people are surprised at Gandalf raining down hellfire to murder everyone in Minas Tirith when it was foreshadowed by him raising his voice at Bilbo that one time

Lmao this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh poo poo is Dany going to somehow figure out Davos was in on it too?! 😭

If Dany kills Davos in literally the last episode of the series I will riot.

Davos MUST LIVE :cry:

It was possibly the biggest moment of the entire series, so of course it wasn't remotely established what the gently caress was going on or why.

Great storytelling. Just really astounding stuff.

The characters seeming extremely confident they understood the NK's motivations was some serious :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Buck Wildman posted:

real talk I've always wanted to be one of those poor extras in these big fantasy battles who gets that split second shot of catching an axe with their face or getting dragon'd, just a shaky cam cut of me going BLURGH spray of blood and gone

I feel like that's a thing you could laugh over with friends in the future and at parties "yeah I'm the footman who totally ate poo poo in season 8 episode 5"

anyway, one more episode of this poo poo

Aaron Rodgers got to do this and I'm jealous

https://www.indiatoday.in/televisio...4738-2019-05-14

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

maybe drogon saw a bee

"If it weren't for my dragon, I wouldn't have spent that year in Essos."

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Guze posted:

Qyburn should have made a Rita Repulsa wand and super sized the Mountain so he could fight Drogon.

How about sewn together a bunch of corpses into a battle-suit like a big, rotting, Voltron? With the Mt. as the head and upper torso.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

U-DO Burger posted:

looks like grilled onion is back on the menu boys

MODS!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Aaron Rodgers got to do this and I'm jealous

https://www.indiatoday.in/televisio...4738-2019-05-14

https://twitter.com/Goprobassguy/status/1127767578963775488

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zaphod42 posted:

If Dany kills Davos in literally the last episode of the series I will riot.

Davos MUST LIVE :cry:

It was possibly the biggest moment of the entire series, so of course it wasn't remotely established what the gently caress was going on or why.

Great storytelling. Just really astounding stuff.

The characters seeming extremely confident they understood the NK's motivations was some serious :psyduck:

I really wanted Sam to ask why the night king would go after bran, who never tells anyone anything, instead of the citadel if the NK wanted to eradicate knowledge

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Did the cast do any big talk show gathering interviews this year like they used to do on Conan and Fallon and what not? When they all looked happy

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What are the odds on last episode nudity?

I’ll put $20 on dick

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Walrus posted:

this show has been bad for two seasons and the public has still loved it, now it's SO bad that popular sentiment has turned on it so all of a sudden internet contrarians are all 'no it's good'.

It being the end is also probably a big factor; in the past, bad parts could be excused by people thinking or hoping that it would get better and thus not letting it get them down. Now, though, this is it; there's no getting better later, because there's no later.

Plus, it's the culmination of everything that came before it, the big payoff, the reason it all happened. It's what is going to make the final impression a lot of people have of the show, or at least be the biggest factor there; where a good ending could make up for a lot, a bad ending can squander a lot of good will and make everything before it feel worse. The ending isn't all that matters, but it's a pretty big deal.

And here... It's bad. Even if it arguably isn't the worst part of the show, since it has Ramsay and the Sand Snakes as competition among other things, it makes a lot of sense that this is the point where people stop giving it the benefit of the doubt and feel a lot more strongly about it.

mastershakeman posted:

I really wanted Sam to ask why the night king would go after bran, who never tells anyone anything, instead of the citadel if the NK wanted to eradicate knowledge

To be fair, the maesters don't tell anyone anything either. Also, the Citadel is further south, so even if it's also a target it comes later.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 16, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edit: Double-post.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Snowy posted:

What are the odds on last episode nudity?

I’ll put $20 on dick

Dick but it's Drogon's

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That DICK! posted:

maybe drogon saw a bee
He was trying to save the orphans all along?

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, I said earlier that if the reason is "she's just batshit crazy" it makes some sense, but I don't think the show's going to run with that. If she's just giggling while roasting babies next week too that'll be a bold and unexpected move, but I am about 90% sure either the show or just Dany herself will play off the city burning as "aww, like 20 people died. a shame but unavoidable." and she will appear mostly rational and wonder why Jon is betraying her more.

This is the most blatant misreading of the how and why of Dany's turn, and it's so common ITT I'm having troubling understanding the way you guys watch television. Rushed plot-progression and characterization aside, if you really think that she was literally manically Crazy with a capital C while flying around burning KL then I can understand if you feel it's out of nowhere, but she wasn't. She was just pissed off, felt abandoned and betrayed, and wanted catharsis, all very human emotions. People do really hosed up poo poo in that state, even if they aren't as narcissistic and entitled as Dany.

You don't need to hear voices or write on the wall in your own feces to do what Dany did, and the frightening and realistic thing about it is that it's very easy to succumb to, not something that requires your insanity to go super-saiyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pretty sure if your response to being mildly annoyed is "let's burn women and children" you're crazy with a capital C