Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SS13 Soup, in which you journey down to the Realm of Honk to claim the Orb of Honk

and I guess the pantheon is replaced by which department you pledge your loyalty to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I know everyone is making jokes, but I always thought a 1st person implementation using the Source engine would be an easy start for attempting a 3D SS13. At its core, it could be a lot like The Ship, except in space.

It would never have all the crazy poo poo that can be done in Beyond, like turning someone into a Macho Man that can bust through walls, or a Chaos Dunk that destroys the station, but you can at least assign some people as traitors with the task of murdering another player in secret, and let anything you pick up be a melee weapon or something.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If you want Source madness, just play Jazztronauts. It’ll be a better time than trying Source Station 13.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
To drive home the point about the Doom engine: people have implemented Mario Kart, a Sonic game and Donkey Kong Country in GZDoom

That's not a joke

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speaking of not-but-wishes-it-was-SS13 games, Barotrauma goes on Steam early access next month.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

SnotGrumble posted:

I know everyone is making jokes, but I always thought a 1st person implementation using the Source engine would be an easy start for attempting a 3D SS13. At its core, it could be a lot like The Ship, except in space.

It would never have all the crazy poo poo that can be done in Beyond, like turning someone into a Macho Man that can bust through walls, or a Chaos Dunk that destroys the station, but you can at least assign some people as traitors with the task of murdering another player in secret, and let anything you pick up be a melee weapon or something.

the ship was amazing

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

MrYenko posted:

Speaking of not-but-wishes-it-was-SS13 games, Barotrauma goes on Steam early access next month.

I tinkered around with Barotrauma a bit and it seemed pretty interesting, if absurdly difficult. I'm not even sure why there's a mechanic for maintaining the same ship and crew over multiple missions when half the mission types are comically lethal. I think my favourite example is the one where you're on a tight time limit for a cargo delivery, so you have to rush if you want to get paid, but the cargo is several tons of pure nitroglycerin, so rushing will cause your whole rear end ship to explode spectacularly.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I have seen a bit of barotrauma and honestly it feels like it has the same atmosphere at least, and that seems more important than anything else.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I just want a Space Quest like adventure game set in the SS13 universe. Or something like 7 Days a Skeptic, even.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah barotrauma is definitely inspired by SS13 and it's quite good.

There's even a clown costume.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
SS13 in play by email format based on the crash bandicoot 2 engine

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Cluwne Souls

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I think if any modern FPS game engine would be a good platform, it would be Arma 3's engine, not Source.

Having a context menu built in is a lot more luxurious than you'd think. Built in slot-based inventory systen, better server tools and netcode, plus lots of existing modules for stuff like complex medicine, radio channels, etc.

As always, the ultimate problem is simulating 256^2 tiles of interactable objects.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SS13 built on the Arma engine truly is the SS13 we deserve.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MrYenko posted:

SS13 built on the Arma engine truly is the SS13 we deserve.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Dont Touch ME posted:

I think if any modern FPS game engine would be a good platform, it would be Arma 3's engine, not Source.

Having a context menu built in is a lot more luxurious than you'd think. Built in slot-based inventory systen, better server tools and netcode, plus lots of existing modules for stuff like complex medicine, radio channels, etc.

As always, the ultimate problem is simulating 256^2 tiles of interactable objects.

Most of what you list as benefits of the Arma 3 engine work despite the underlying tech, not because of it. There's nothing particularly hard about replicating any of those systems on one of the major FPS engines compared to the other major features (zero-G, atmospheric simulation, power distribution, etc) that an SS13 mod would require anyway.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Just musing after reading the secrets thread, but I still think one of the biggest changes should be fixing chem. SS13 has a few goals outside of the ship that are set and fixed and allow you to explore and think through things visually, which are great, but then you have chemistry which is also a set and fixed esoteric series of steps, except it's completely "blind" in terms of hints to what can exist without seeing other people do it first, and stupid trial and error to make it work, maybe, if you get lucky; or told by someone else.

With a game that works on a round based system, I'd definitely say more subsystems should run with the concept of fresh round fresh start. Some sort of chem research progression with randomised recipes (or, in better terms, a more abstract system that isnt directly just mixing real world chems), something that lets you still experiment with stuff but in a much smaller scale, where you're helped along a little; maybe feeding it rarer resources to get progression towards hints for some harder to make chems.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 21, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jewel posted:

Just musing after reading the secrets thread, but I still think one of the biggest changes should be fixing chem. SS13 has a few goals outside of the ship that are set and fixed and allow you to explore and think through things visually, which are great, but then you have chemistry which is also a set and fixed esoteric series of steps, except it's completely "blind" in terms of hints to what can exist without seeing other people do it first, and stupid trial and error to make it work, maybe, if you get lucky; or told by someone else.

With a game that works on a round based system, I'd definitely say more subsystems should run with the concept of fresh round fresh start. Some sort of chem research progression with randomised recipes (or, in better terms, a more abstract system that isnt directly just mixing real world chems), something that lets you still experiment with stuff but in a much smaller scale, where you're helped along a little; maybe feeding it rarer resources to get progression towards hints for some harder to make chems.

Using real-world chems as a reference is how you figure out a lot of the basic fun recipes out though.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Using real-world chems as a reference is how you figure out a lot of the basic fun recipes out though.

And yes, sure, I like that aspect somewhat, but is it worth it when once you know, you can make whatever stupid thing you want immediately in a round, devaluing balance? Or how you lose the fun of searching once you've found them? I mean even then, it still requires you to, say, Know thermite exists within the game. I just think the benefits of the current system don't exist when you either know nothing or everything, and it's probably worth sacrificing that nice midground (for only the few chems that feel good to figure out) for something that feels good every round, for any player.

There can still definitely be some element of learning what's best, to get faster/more efficient at finding harder chems, but at least it wouldn't just force people to sit there trying nonsense for tens of hours trying to find whatever intro is now every time its swapped.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 21, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Put a whiteboard in chemistry that shows all the recipes in the game imho

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Leal posted:

word. gently caress chem nerds.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Leal posted:

:yeah:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Leal posted:

Maybe put some of the basic recipes, and then let people write down more recipes mid round, and obviously writing them wrong for shenanigans :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 21, 2019

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

put two big books of chemistry, one in the chemistry lab, one in the RD's locker. make sure they look completely identical.

the lab one has crucial and possibly entertaining errors for the more destructive chemicals.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

put two big books of chemistry, one in the chemistry lab, one in the RD's locker. make sure they look completely identical.

the lab one has crucial and possibly entertaining errors for the more destructive chemicals.

Randomise which one has the errors each round.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Have like 5 different versions, each one with different errors and it's randomly determined which spawn. None of them are fault free.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

The Lone Badger posted:

With a chance of both having it.

Or maybe both always has (different) errors and you need both books to work out what is and isn't right.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 22, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Just slightly vary the fine-structure constant each round and re-derive all of physics and chemistry accordingly.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just slightly vary the fine-structure constant each round and re-derive all of physics and chemistry accordingly.

User Name-Post Combo

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Replace chemistry with a bug zapper.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jewel posted:

And yes, sure, I like that aspect somewhat, but is it worth it when once you know, you can make whatever stupid thing you want immediately in a round, devaluing balance? Or how you lose the fun of searching once you've found them? I mean even then, it still requires you to, say, Know thermite exists within the game. I just think the benefits of the current system don't exist when you either know nothing or everything, and it's probably worth sacrificing that nice midground (for only the few chems that feel good to figure out) for something that feels good every round, for any player.

There can still definitely be some element of learning what's best, to get faster/more efficient at finding harder chems, but at least it wouldn't just force people to sit there trying nonsense for tens of hours trying to find whatever intro is now every time its swapped.

If you can't think of something fun to do with chemical compounds, that says more about your creative talents than the chemicals themselves.

Also, for the umpteenth time, RNG is not balance. It is just lovely dice rolling that is going to create a far worse experience most of the time because it will never go in your favour consistently.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Every round one player starts with a note embedded in their body which tells one of the ~*Super Secret Chems*~. It has to be surgically removed, the player does not know they have a note in their body and the only way the chemists can find that person is via a list of 10 crewmembers they get shown at the start of the round, one of which actually has the note.

There is a 0.1% chance that instead of a note there is a special microbomb that goes off the second it gets removed.

Edit: maybe a little late, but I remember playing some Barotrauma with a couple friends and I agree that it is pretty fun but holy hell, if anything goes wrong it can be almost impossible to recover from. Don't think we ever actually finished a mission because most runs we would run into something big and nasty that would end up ripping holes into the submarine while we frantically try and bring enough systems online to fight back (and fail). Really did not help that it's not really obvious how you get the reactor running when it is submerged, so for most of the run that was basically a failure state :v:

Greader fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 22, 2019

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Greader posted:

Every round one player starts with a note embedded in their body which tells one of the ~*Super Secret Chems*~. It has to be surgically removed, the player does not know they have a note in their body and the only way the chemists can find that person is via a list of 10 crewmembers they get shown at the start of the round, one of which actually has the note.

There used to be a Solarium Key with a mechanic like that.

That key no longer exists, for reasons.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Archenteron posted:

There used to be a Solarium Key with a mechanic like that.

That key no longer exists, for reasons.

What the gently caress is even Solarium, and why are so many nerds obsessed with it?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

What the gently caress is even Solarium, and why are so many nerds obsessed with it?

A very long event chain that ends with being able to touch the sun. It has always ended with a 'bad ending' which means people trying desperately to get the 'good ending' which probably doesn't exist.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I thought watching hopeless nerds getting roasted was the good ending.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rynoto posted:

A very long event chain that ends with being able to touch the sun. It has always ended with a 'bad ending' which means people trying desperately to get the 'good ending' which probably doesn't exist.

I always assumed the Good Ending was everyone else watching the Solarium nerds driving themselves insane trying every possible permutation to find a Good Ending.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I wish there were more adventure maps that had less sperg and more accessibility.

I wanna see a series of lemming like puzzle maps where the crew uses their destructive potential for... well maybe not good, but slightly constructive purposes.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I wish we had the old maze thing with the lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

A wild goose chase designed to keep the turbonerds out of everyone else's hair.