Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Both of the phones on my account have the Grandfathered unlimited data. We don't go crazy with data but maybe in the future? Not sure. It's $182 a month.

Should I go to the new unlimited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looks to me like go unlimited is the only new option that will make your bill lower by more than a couple of bucks (assuming your current $182 includes taxes and fees).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looks to me like go unlimited is the only new option that will make your bill lower by more than a couple of bucks (assuming your current $182 includes taxes and fees).

This is correct, and I wouldn’t change to Go from the old unlimited plan. Beyond is $180ish so meh, stay where you are at.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I actually have a question for anyone here who bought a Pixel 3 from Verizon:

What do you use to get visual voicemail? I didn’t realize the Pixel 3 apparently doesn’t do it anymore (the 1 does).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mine still does? Just got a VVM on 5/15.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Mine still does? Just got a VVM on 5/15.

Where do you go for it? Verizon VVM or the phone app?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Phone app. Didn't even realize Verizon had their own. I disable/remove all the Verizon apps outside of My Verizon the moment I get a new phone, though.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My IPhone X still provides a transcript for my voicemails but I thought that was only for a temporary time.

Does Verizon provide that for all IPhones?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My IPhone X still provides a transcript for my voicemails but I thought that was only for a temporary time.

Does Verizon provide that for all IPhones?

That's an iOS function that Verizon has no part in other than the visual voicemail bit.

(Or, to clarify, VM transcripts require VVM which all iPhones on Verizon get, but your iPhone does the actual transcription, not Verizon.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yup, and basically Verizon has a paid feature, but its essentially voicemail transcription for android phones.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Just got my static IPs provisioned to my account.

Fun fact, Verizon decided back in June 2017 to no longer issue more IPv4 addresses. Yet I was assigned them yesterday...
https://email.vzwshop.com/pub/sf/Fo...rFGUumLp9Fzchzc

Turns out, according to my Verizon engineer, they still don't know how to issue static IPv6 addresses... So they decided to just wait.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That’s what I’ve always done in the Caribbean. (A whopping three times). Looks like Digicel operates in St. Lucia. I used them in Jamaica for cheap and it was all smooth. Needed to show a passport to sign up.. https://www.digicelgroup.com/lc/en/mobile.html

Thanks a whole bunch.

This worked out fine and I had data and was able to make calls to local businesses all week long. Thanks y'all!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Oi!

Does Verizon provide a referral incentive for recommending new users?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Verizon is laying fiber down my residential suburban street. The crew said they think it is for 5G.

AT&T owns the copper in the area.

What are the chances FIOS is coming with the fiber? Even if it’s just wireless service I’m thinking it will have to be better than ATT’s nonexistent wireless signal here, depending on where they our towers.

I’m hopeful for FIOS though, they put a vault in the sidewalk a few doors down.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Verizon is laying fiber down my residential suburban street. The crew said they think it is for 5G.

AT&T owns the copper in the area.

What are the chances FIOS is coming with the fiber? Even if it’s just wireless service I’m thinking it will have to be better than ATT’s nonexistent wireless signal here, depending on where they our towers.

I’m hopeful for FIOS though, they put a vault in the sidewalk a few doors down.

Are you currently in a Fios area? If you are not, 0% chance. 5G nothing to do with Fios.

Now, will they probably offer 5G home internet? Probably. But that’s different than Fios.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Are you currently in a Fios area? If you are not, 0% chance. 5G nothing to do with Fios.

Now, will they probably offer 5G home internet? Probably. But that’s different than Fios.

I do not believe I am in a FIOS area. It’s Spectrum (formerly time Warner) and on the edge of poo poo-tier ATT U-Verse. Spectrum delivers like 300mb internet so it’s not too bad. But FIOS would be nice.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I hate verizon but unfortunately they are the only carrier with service in the places I live and go. So I plan on moving from AT&T after ~25 years since I got hosed out of my grandfathered unlimited and don't have functional service.

I would be planning on having 2 lines, both on Beyond Unlimited (maybe above, not sure if it's worth it or not). I am moving my AT&T line (which I want to keep my number for) and one other line from Google Fi (that I also want to keep the number for).

I also will be getting new phones for both lines. One phone will be a Pixel 3a, the other I am open minded about but have been considering everything from a V50 ThinQ to a Moto Z4 to a Asus Zenphone 6 (which won't be verizon compatible or this would be easy).

I'm curious if I should be considering purchasing the phones from verizon or independently? Is there's anything I need to worry about regarding activating phones if I don't get them direct from Verizon. (I only have a V10 and a Moto One to trade in, both working with busted screens) Should I look out for/avoid anything specifically when signing up for a new plan?

I'm not familiar with Verizon's particular brand of fuckery so any advice would be appreciated that could get me through with the best deal I can get.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 19, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bob Log posted:

I hate verizon but unfortunately they are the only carrier with service in the places I live and go. So I plan on moving from AT&T after ~25 years since I got hosed out of my grandfathered unlimited and don't have functional service.

I would be planning on having 2 lines, both on Beyond Unlimited (maybe above, not sure if it's worth it or not). I am moving my AT&T line (which I want to keep my number for) and one other line from Google Fi (that I also want to keep the number for).

I also will be getting new phones for both lines. One phone will be a Pixel 3a, the other I am open minded about but have been considering everything from a V50 ThinQ to a Moto Z4 to a Asus Zenphone 6 (which won't be verizon compatible or this would be easy).

I'm curious if I should be considering purchasing the phones from verizon or independently? Is there's anything I need to worry about regarding activating phones if I don't get them direct from Verizon. (I only have a V10 and a Moto One to trade in, both working with busted screens) Should I look out for/avoid anything specifically when signing up for a new plan?

I'm not familiar with Verizon's particular brand of fuckery so any advice would be appreciated that could get me through with the best deal I can get.

Few things.

-Pixel 3 is $300 off currently, so it’s only $100 more than the 3a. For that price difference I recommend the 3.

-Zenphone probably won’t work on Verizon, either way don’t buy Asus phones. Same with LG, I personally haven’t seen a great track record from their phones.

-I recommend either the Z4, Samsung Galaxy 10e or higher, or Google Pixel 3 or 3a

-you should buy from Verizon. They’re offering $200 per line (Visa gift card in 6-8 weeks) to switch you number, buy a phone on payment plan and be on unlimited data. Only catch is the phone has to be at a certain retail value, which I am not sure if the 3a is high enough or not (the 3 is for sure). I can check when I get to work.

-I have to check promos, the V10 May have a trade in if you get the screen repaired.

-if you order online, feel free to PM me and I can offer a referral code.

Let me know what questions you have. FYI keeping your number from both carriers should be pretty easy.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yo Duck, I got a question about cancelling insurance. Guy at the store told me to do this, but I’m just looking for confirmation.

Basically about 3 weeks ago my out of warranty iPhone 8 showed a problem that required a repair/replacement. Guy at the store said it was an open enrollment period for $13/mo warranty extension (insurance?), and I could sign up for that, get a “free” replacement, then cancel if I wanted. Did that, new phone is fine, got an email from Verizon about two weeks ago that they received the old phone, and no communication since then (didn’t expect any). Haven’t rolled over to a new billing cycle yet. Is it safe for me to cancel the insurance right before my next cycle date?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yo Duck, I got a question about cancelling insurance. Guy at the store told me to do this, but I’m just looking for confirmation.

Basically about 3 weeks ago my out of warranty iPhone 8 showed a problem that required a repair/replacement. Guy at the store said it was an open enrollment period for $13/mo warranty extension (insurance?), and I could sign up for that, get a “free” replacement, then cancel if I wanted. Did that, new phone is fine, got an email from Verizon about two weeks ago that they received the old phone, and no communication since then (didn’t expect any). Haven’t rolled over to a new billing cycle yet. Is it safe for me to cancel the insurance right before my next cycle date?

Yup you’re fine. Warrant is void on the replacement either immediately upon removal, or after 90 days, I forget which. Just a general FYI, I wouldn’t fret too much about it.

FYI to the above poster: the Pixel 3 gets the $200 switcher rebate, the 3a does not, so the Pixel 3 is literally cheaper when switching to Verizon.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Duckman2008 posted:

Few things.

-Pixel 3 is $300 off currently, so it’s only $100 more than the 3a. For that price difference I recommend the 3.

-if you order online, feel free to PM me and I can offer a referral code.
I have a gen 1 Pixel 32gb on Verizon with a cracked screen. If I were to get the screen repaired and trade-in/upgrade, could I expect to get a total of $400 off a Pixel 3 with the current promos?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spf3million posted:

I have a gen 1 Pixel 32gb on Verizon with a cracked screen. If I were to get the screen repaired and trade-in/upgrade, could I expect to get a total of $400 off a Pixel 3 with the current promos?

$300 off Pixel 3, and I believe the Pixel 1 is $100 trade in on an upgrade (no cracked screen), so yes that sounds right.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Looks like Verizon Up Rewards quietly got shittier recently. Noticed that credits expire after 30 days now (was 60), rewards refresh randomly rather than on the month, and the rewards themselves are sparse and weak.

Par for the giant shareholder controlled telecom company course, sadly.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Duckman2008 posted:

$300 off Pixel 3, and I believe the Pixel 1 is $100 trade in on an upgrade (no cracked screen), so yes that sounds right.
Cool thank you!

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Duckman2008 posted:

Few things.

-you should buy from Verizon. They’re offering $200 per line (Visa gift card in 6-8 weeks) to switch you number, buy a phone on payment plan and be on unlimited data. Only catch is the phone has to be at a certain retail value, which I am not sure if the 3a is high enough or not (the 3 is for sure). I can check when I get to work.

Activate a BOYD line online gets you $250/line rebate for new lines. You have to do an unlimited plan, don't need the device payment plan, and it can be pretty much any device that works on Verizon. Buy your Pixel 3a from Google (no Verizon bloat) and get an extra $50/line.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/bring-your-own-device/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uli2000 posted:

Activate a BOYD line online gets you $250/line rebate for new lines. You have to do an unlimited plan, don't need the device payment plan, and it can be pretty much any device that works on Verizon. Buy your Pixel 3a from Google (no Verizon bloat) and get an extra $50/line.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/bring-your-own-device/

This is also a good idea. FYI it’s online only.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm thinking about switching over to Visible for the $40/month unlimited plan (side note: anyone used this and have any feedback?).

Currently my Verizon plan is my wife and I sharing the "L" size data bucket. I just want to switch myself over to Visible to try it out first before i switch her over. I'm pretty sure I need to go into a Verizon store and pay off the balance on my phone first. Once that is done, if I switch over my phone, will that gently caress up anything on my account? I can't tell from looking at my account if it lists my phone as the primary phone and removing that would screw things up, or if it's just two phones on an account and removing one of them will leave the other one intact. I can then switch her Verizon plan to the M or S sized data bucket while I try out Visible for a couple months.

EDIT: One other worry I had - I have this irrational(?) fear that something will get hosed up while porting my number to the new service and I'll lose my number, which would be extremely bad. Is this something that ever happens anymore, or have they pretty much got this sorted out? There's surprisingly little information to be had from googling about this topic, which hopefully means it's not something to really worry about.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 30, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm thinking about switching over to Visible for the $40/month unlimited plan (side note: anyone used this and have any feedback?).

Currently my Verizon plan is my wife and I sharing the "L" size data bucket. I just want to switch myself over to Visible to try it out first before i switch her over. I'm pretty sure I need to go into a Verizon store and pay off the balance on my phone first. Once that is done, if I switch over my phone, will that gently caress up anything on my account? I can't tell from looking at my account if it lists my phone as the primary phone and removing that would screw things up, or if it's just two phones on an account and removing one of them will leave the other one intact. I can then switch her Verizon plan to the M or S sized data bucket while I try out Visible for a couple months.

EDIT: One other worry I had - I have this irrational(?) fear that something will get hosed up while porting my number to the new service and I'll lose my number, which would be extremely bad. Is this something that ever happens anymore, or have they pretty much got this sorted out? There's surprisingly little information to be had from googling about this topic, which hopefully means it's not something to really worry about.

Nothing bad will happen on Verizon’s end. Just call and move her to the 5GB single line plan for $60.

I mean, legally all carriers have to allow you to keep your number as long as it is within a certain period of time (2-4 weeks I assume) and you pay your bills. Whether you get great service from a MNVO is definitely questionable. That being said, you just need your account number and PIN number and you are fine, so it’s not like it’s super complicated.

Von Bonez
Apr 13, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just did something similar a few days ago with no problems. My number was transferred and ready in about 5 minutes. Verizon didn't seem to care about removing the line from the account afterwards.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Whether you get great service from a MNVO is definitely questionable.

These days, what really separates the MVNOs from the carriers? Seems like the only downsides are the customer service experience being more limited and the possibility for de-priorizitation of data traffic. Is that it?

I mean, back in the day I wouldn’t entertain the notion of switching because I’d have to pay an early cancellation fee to break my contract and then if the new service was not good I’d probably have to pay a fee to get out of THAT contract and then another fee to get back on Verizon.

But since the days of contracts are over (right?), it seems like there’s no disincentive to trying Visible for a couple months, and then cancelling and hopping back on Verizon if I find the quality of service lacking. Am I missing something here?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

These days, what really separates the MVNOs from the carriers? Seems like the only downsides are the customer service experience being more limited and the possibility for de-priorizitation of data traffic. Is that it?

I mean, back in the day I wouldn’t entertain the notion of switching because I’d have to pay an early cancellation fee to break my contract and then if the new service was not good I’d probably have to pay a fee to get out of THAT contract and then another fee to get back on Verizon.

But since the days of contracts are over (right?), it seems like there’s no disincentive to trying Visible for a couple months, and then cancelling and hopping back on Verizon if I find the quality of service lacking. Am I missing something here?

Yeah I meant customer service, so I don’t think you’ll get screwed or anything.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I was under the impression Visible was a first party offering in disguise. That said, it's explicit about having poor/limited cs.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

ItBreathes posted:

I was under the impression Visible was a first party offering in disguise. That said, it's explicit about having poor/limited cs.

Most big carriers' MVNOs that they own are directly operated and managed by those carriers (example, AT&T owns and operates Cricket under AT&T). Or, they sell their network to other companies who make an MVNO (StraightTalk is owned by another company, but purchases access from the big carriers).

Visible, from what I understand, is a little different. It is owned by Verizon, but Verizon is not directly operating and managing the company. They are operating it as a separate company. Don't ask me to expand beyond that, because I hardly know what that means. :iiam:

Just kidding! It's a company started by former Verizon executives. So, on Verzion's network, but a separate company entirely.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3270941/why-verizon-is-funding-a-wireless-competitor-visible.html

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 3, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
We’re going to be traveling this week and are on a shared data plan. Does the 12GB plan still exist if you call in and ask for it?

Alternatively, can you use the “$10 to gift a gig” thing and gift it to yourself?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

We’re going to be traveling this week and are on a shared data plan. Does the 12GB plan still exist if you call in and ask for it?

Alternatively, can you use the “$10 to gift a gig” thing and gift it to yourself?

The 12GB plan is dead dead dead.

If you have a 8GB plan sometimes it’ll let the rep move it to the 16GB plan ($20 more than the 8). Mileage def varies.

Do you have an extra old phone by any chance? They’re running double data on prepaid plans, so you could always buy the $40 3GB plan, out it in the old phone and have 6GB of data you could hotspot it from (or $50 for 8GB, so $50 for 16GB).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks Duckman, but it’ll be a hectic trip and rigging stuff isn’t going to work well. We may not even go above 8, but if so I’ll probably just eat the $15 for another one, or if it looks like we'll need more just switch to unlimited for a month then switch back.

I assume I can switch back to shared next month, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks Duckman, but it’ll be a hectic trip and rigging stuff isn’t going to work well. We may not even go above 8, but if so I’ll probably just eat the $15 for another one, or if it looks like we'll need more just switch to unlimited for a month then switch back.

I assume I can switch back to shared next month, right?

Yes within same month for sure fine. Any rep should be able to backdate unlimited, then future date your normal plan so it auto changes back.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My wife and I have the 8GB New L plan, and have for a rather long time without issue. Something fucky happened with the WiFi coverage at her work and the data use spiked so we are now bouncing off the limit.

I have a 15% non-military govt discount on the plan cost so before taxes and Verizon's bills got fees the cost is $99.50. Am I reading right that basically our options from Verizon are "Go gently caress yourselves" and "Allow is to gently caress you"?

Go Unlimited (the gfy option) would be $130 and very likely would be utterly unusable in our neighborhood as speeds for our current prioritized plan frequently drop to below 2Mbps. Beyond Unlimited in the other hand would be $160. Neither allow the discount to be applied.

How likely would it be that I could get the XL version of our current plan? I figure that would be ~$117 and would avoid the deprioritization issue.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 13, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

My wife and I have the 8GB New L plan, and have for a rather long time without issue. Something fucky happened with the WiFi coverage at her work and the data use spiked so we are now bouncing off the limit.

I have a 15% non-military govt discount on the plan cost so before taxes and Verizon's bills got fees the cost is $99.50. Am I reading right that basically our options from Verizon are "Go gently caress yourselves" and "Allow is to gently caress you"?

Go Unlimited (the gfy option) would be $130 and very likely would be utterly unusable in our neighborhood as speeds for our current prioritized plan frequently drop to below 2Mbps. Beyond Unlimited in the other hand would be $160. Neither allow the discount to be applied.

How likely would it be that I could get the XL version of our current plan? I figure that would be ~$117 and would avoid the deprioritization issue.

The XL plan is gone for new customers, sometimes current customers on a 8GB plan (like yourself) can qualify, but it does vary. Call customer care (or call loyalty) and ask. I would offer to check, but I’m on vacation for 7 days so I won’t be able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Score, we were eligible. Much more reasonable than the other options. Thanks!