Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Meskhenet posted:

Is that the primitive tech kiln? with a hopper above and a heat hopper below?

as far as i can tell FTB:I removes the heat hopper

Vib Rib posted:

Conveyors can be built as soon as you get a rubber sapling. Put them on extract and they'll work just fine pulling only the finished products from kilns.

does the conveyor have to be under the kiln or can it just be leading away from it? i wasn't sure if the conveyor and the fire would be friends

EDIT: in case anyone else is wondering, conveyor doesn't have to be under the kiln but you do need the extractor on the right side

Patware fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

atholbrose posted:

So, I decided to jump into the modded Minecraft deep-end, and play Sky Factory 4. I haven't played Minecraft in a very long time; I was amused to see that my skin was still set to Matt Smith's Doctor.

I felt very nudged through the first tab. Things were set up quite well, and I just worked my way through most of it, along with a smattering of stuff from other tabs. I just finished up a barrel-and-hopping-bonsai detour, and I'm just stalled out at what to do next. I think the obvious next steps are probably gated by basic Minecraft knowledge I just have never picked up. To start quartz production, I need some quartz, but there doesn't seem to be any way of getting any, things like that.

Any advice?

You have two options for Nether Quartz at this point. Option 1: Use JEI to back track and see the ways you can end up with your end item. Option 2: Make a Nether Cake and travel to the Nether (bring a stack or two cobblestone) and just mine some Nether Quartz. I can't get to SF4 at the moment, but I know you can make quartz without ever stepping foot into the Nether to mine it.

In other insane adventures. I decided I wanted a spiral staircase for my base, but I hate the look of slabs or stairs to do this. So I did the only reasonable thing, I spent hours with Chisels & Bits making my own drat staircase. I used 1/4 block size for steps and it didn't work out. :suicide:

Well guess I'll be tearing it all down and redoing it later.

Edit: Look at this dumb poo poo, I clearly knew it wouldn't work and yet I continued on. Also all bricks besides the concrete ones were temp just to see how it looks, so no complaining about the ugly end stone blocks

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 18, 2019

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

atholbrose posted:

So, I decided to jump into the modded Minecraft deep-end, and play Sky Factory 4. I haven't played Minecraft in a very long time; I was amused to see that my skin was still set to Matt Smith's Doctor.

I felt very nudged through the first tab. Things were set up quite well, and I just worked my way through most of it, along with a smattering of stuff from other tabs. I just finished up a barrel-and-hopping-bonsai detour, and I'm just stalled out at what to do next. I think the obvious next steps are probably gated by basic Minecraft knowledge I just have never picked up. To start quartz production, I need some quartz, but there doesn't seem to be any way of getting any, things like that.

Any advice?

SK4 doesnt use very much basic minecraft knowledge. are you doing prestege?

To Get quartz look in JEI 2nd page. You can make a nether cake and go to the nether to get your first quartz if your going that route.

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
I'm looking around for a mod that allows a vendor/trader block for 1.12. One that supports piped inputs. Trade-O-mat from IC looks to be the thing, but I don't want to install that mod just for one block in it. My goal is to have something that's not so fiddly and hopefully not use any command type interface. A finger pointing in the some idea of a direction would be greatly appreciated.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

FTB:Interactions question. With the absolute safety of the Sky Dimension, the growing (and eventually block-breaking) threats in the Overworld, and the ubiquity of teleporters, would it be a smart move to make a permanent base in the sky, and just use the Overworld for mining expeditions/resource gathering? If not for the loading screen between them I think it might be an easier decision, but I might be missing something obvious.

Infinite water in River and Ocean biomes is a decent reason to stick with the Overworld.

What I did for my base was to build a skyblock-esque platform over a large river. I dropped an interdiction torch on the one entrance and called it a day. Zero problems with mob griefing, and I'm in the MV age right now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Infinite water in River and Ocean biomes is a decent reason to stick with the Overworld.

What I did for my base was to build a skyblock-esque platform over a large river. I dropped an interdiction torch on the one entrance and called it a day. Zero problems with mob griefing, and I'm in the MV age right now.
Yeah, fair enough. I suppose you can get the exact same kind of skyblock-style living and safety without the loading screen that way. Best of both worlds.

The Simple Teleporters mod seems pretty cool, but since each teleporter can only have one destination, I suppose that means a central teleport 'hub' room is the best way to go with it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose you can get the exact same kind of skyblock-style living and safety without the loading screen that way. Best of both worlds.

The Simple Teleporters mod seems pretty cool, but since each teleporter can only have one destination, I suppose that means a central teleport 'hub' room is the best way to go with it?

Yeah, I suppose. I have exactly two pairs of teleporters -- one between my base and the portal back to the void world, and one between my base and the thaumcraft flux ghetto I set up in a magical forest far away. I haven't really bothered to make others. They're just in the center of my base chilling out.

e: Just made a slime sling and a hang glider now that I have aluminum. So happy to have a faster method of travel.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 18, 2019

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

I like how it looks more like something from an ancient dos game before even VGA. Somehow even more retro and lo-fi than the surroundings.

Also how can you do things like this quickly enough that it’d ever make sense to chisel a temporary brick??

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

BlondRobin posted:

I like how it looks more like something from an ancient dos game before even VGA. Somehow even more retro and lo-fi than the surroundings.

Also how can you do things like this quickly enough that it’d ever make sense to chisel a temporary brick??

You can replace materials with Chisels & Bits, so it isn’t difficult just to make something out of junk and then swap it between various other blocks to get the look you want. In the end I just removed the end stone bit and have an OSHA unapproved staircase you can fall off of.

I wish C&B had Little Tiles ability to quickly and easily make circles, but unfortunately it doesn’t.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Does little tiles work on modded leaves?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, SevTech and going to mars. Now I need boosters for a tier 2 rocket, boosters require methane, methane producer requires liquid hydrogen or an atmosphere valve. Atmosphere valve is locked behind desh from mars, hydrogen nothing apparently makes. Halp?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

So, SevTech and going to mars. Now I need boosters for a tier 2 rocket, boosters require methane, methane producer requires liquid hydrogen or an atmosphere valve. Atmosphere valve is locked behind desh from mars, hydrogen nothing apparently makes. Halp?

I think you have MEK with its condensor and electrolyte seperator. I built the ship but said game over once i realised all that was left in the pack was building another rocket and going to the next planet. (i remember it was stupidly fiddly to get the liquid H though

So i never got to mars

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Man I'm terrible at designing sky bases. I mean I'm not great at designing any kind of base, but at least there's some kinda structure on land, building into terrain. On a skyblock, every single time I just end up with a huge flat plane with multiblocks, machines, and big squares of grass/farmland randomly scattered around it.
You'd think after years of skyblock packs I'd know how to set up an organized, aesthetically pleasing yet practical sky base but nope, not even close.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Vib Rib posted:

Man I'm terrible at designing sky bases. I mean I'm not great at designing any kind of base, but at least there's some kinda structure on land, building into terrain. On a skyblock, every single time I just end up with a huge flat plane with multiblocks, machines, and big squares of grass/farmland randomly scattered around it.
You'd think after years of skyblock packs I'd know how to set up an organized, aesthetically pleasing yet practical sky base but nope, not even close.

I started skyfactory 4 in the lost cities dimension and I have a poop colored high rise that is ugly but functional as a base.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I'm right there with you.

Also, sugar cane is very silly in this pack:

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I'm also terrible at designing bases, but I spend so much time making my island in skyblocks that I don't ever actually progress on anything.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What's that enormous seared structure for?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

What's that enormous seared structure for?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've started playing the Simpletons Year One pack, and while I don't have a house or anything yet, I've decided I want to attempt to run my base off coffee, since it's a pretty good thing to shove in a culinary generator and the idea is funny. So far the idea I have sketched out in my head is:

I don't think the coffee machine has any "emits redstone if" conditions, unfortunately, because I want to make sure the plant interactor shuts off if the coffee machine can't accept any more beans. I suppose I'll have to wait till the buffer chest is full or something like that.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Sevtech has spoiled me with the cheap-ish 1 square upgrade-able tanks with hundreds of thousands buckets worth of capacity.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Rynoto posted:

Sevtech has spoiled me with the cheap-ish 1 square upgrade-able tanks with hundreds of thousands buckets worth of capacity.

Crikey which ones are these? Probably a good 10-20% of my base is huge rear end metal panel tanks from interactive engineering.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ah yes, the most reliable early Gregtech battery there is.
I was going to say I can't wait to unlock some of the ridiculous (and compact) storages in this pack but I realized by the time I do I won't really be using steam.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Crikey which ones are these? Probably a good 10-20% of my base is huge rear end metal panel tanks from interactive engineering.

Can't remember off the top of my head but they should pop up when you search for tanks in later ages. There are a few of them that have modifiers like tiny, small, normal, etc all the way up to the final tier with million+ capacity.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

taiyoko posted:

I've started playing the Simpletons Year One pack, and while I don't have a house or anything yet, I've decided I want to attempt to run my base off coffee, since it's a pretty good thing to shove in a culinary generator and the idea is funny. So far the idea I have sketched out in my head is:

I don't think the coffee machine has any "emits redstone if" conditions, unfortunately, because I want to make sure the plant interactor shuts off if the coffee machine can't accept any more beans. I suppose I'll have to wait till the buffer chest is full or something like that.

Does your pack have Integrated Dynamics? You can measure nearly any property of a machine, inventory, or fluid tank with it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Fairly certain you could replicate the steam capacity with a single Barrel (from Barrel, Crates and <something>). They've got relatively cheap upgrade paths.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

Fairly certain you could replicate the steam capacity with a single Barrel (from Barrel, Crates and <something>). They've got relatively cheap upgrade paths.

That mod isn't in FTB Interactions. You're maybe thinking of SF4?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Double reply but: Popped open sevtech and they're the Inductive Logistics Fluid Tanks starting in Age 4.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Vib Rib posted:

The is legitimately the #1 I'm extremely tired of skyblocks.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That mod isn't in FTB Interactions. You're maybe thinking of SF4?

Yeah, I thought this was that. Whoops!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

ProfessorCirno posted:

The is legitimately the #1 I'm extremely tired of skyblocks.

This is why I'm playing SF4 on the single-chunk-surrounded-by-bedrock map.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

I'm about to have a lot of time on my hands (teacher, summer is coming) and I like making maps in worldpainter. Would any of the people putting together their own modpacks like a custom map? I've been kicking around my own ideas for a story based pack in an underground map, but helping out others is cool.

Some samples, all of which are fairly old:

The above screens have some errors, like a need for additional fine tuning of biomes in the canyonlands to make cliff bushes drier and modification of underground stone distributions in the lava road cave to avoid the patchy look, but I think they demonstrate that I'm comfortable using WP for a variety of purposes.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The wide flat plate is the natural skyblock shape as anything else is very difficult to build to make your layout less effecient. Better build/movement tools and machines that are large and cumbersome in their operation are needed. Not to mention build tools that makes building down less of a pain. Maybe tools for just pooping down irregular spheres of material into empty space to build upon.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

For any of you playing ftb interactions: make a reservoir right now. You know all those fiddly fluid tanks in the various machines? A thermal expansion reservoir can pull any amount of fluid in and out of those tanks, no sweat. Even amounts that are not divisible by 1000mb. You can even evacuate fluid in an input tank. This has radically increased my quality of life, since MV is basically "juggle a zillion kinds of fluids: the mod."

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

For any of you playing ftb interactions: make a reservoir right now. You know all those fiddly fluid tanks in the various machines? A thermal expansion reservoir can pull any amount of fluid in and out of those tanks, no sweat. Even amounts that are not divisible by 1000mb. You can even evacuate fluid in an input tank. This has radically increased my quality of life, since MV is basically "juggle a zillion kinds of fluids: the mod."

How do you empty a reservoir? I always end up with like 22mb or sewage or something and I just want to fill it with something else.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

bbcisdabomb posted:

How do you empty a reservoir? I always end up with like 22mb or sewage or something and I just want to fill it with something else.

Right click it onto a fluid trash can.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

speaking of fluids, am i barking up the wrong tree by trying to use a gregtech (bronze) pipe to get water from a gregtech (bronze) drum into a gregtech small steam coal boiler

i am beginning to wonder if FTB: Interactions is the worst possible introduction to a mod as chunky as gregtech

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

speaking of fluids, am i barking up the wrong tree by trying to use a gregtech (bronze) pipe to get water from a gregtech (bronze) drum into a gregtech small steam coal boiler

i am beginning to wonder if FTB: Interactions is the worst possible introduction to a mod as chunky as gregtech

Yeah, you are barking up the wrong tree. Gregtech pipes can't pull from fluid containers on their own. I forget what exactly you have access to at that tech level, but check if you have access to enderio fluid conduits, flat fluid transfer nodes, or even a fluid translocator. What I ended up using was an everfull urn. That being said, the water use of the starter boilers is very, very small, so you will be fine just bailing water into it manually with a bucket for quite a long time.

What the bronze pipes are decent for, when you are starting out, is distributing steam. The boilers will automatically output steam to all sides but the bottom, so you can use the bronze pipes to push the steam you generate into the other steam machines.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
watching the yogscast's modpack series has got me with an itch I want to scratch.

what modpack would you guys recommend for someone who has fiddled with mods before (thermal dynamics and tinkers mostly), but has never tried a full mod experience? hopefully something with some kind of quest/achievement progression so I don't get lost.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

rats!!

anyway i already set up a tinker tank after seeing it in your picture earlier for the steam. will the bronze pipes play nice with that at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

rats!!

anyway i already set up a tinker tank after seeing it in your picture earlier for the steam. will the bronze pipes play nice with that at least

For putting the steam in, yeah. For getting it out, no. You'll need some other type of pipe for that, or alternatively, you'll need to slap a seared/porcelain faucet on and use a redstone clock or something goofy like that to extract steam. I'm using enderio fluid conduits (the second tier kind since they have more throughput.) I think you get some as a quest reward for something or other, if you can't grunt em out yourself yet.