Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Whoever they have on it is doing a good job of making it fun to play. I still haven't touched base building, I'm just flying around in my freighter and shooting down pirates, stupid sentinels, and hunting artifacts.

I really need a new Multi-tool, but my current (S rank) 8 slot one is stuffed to the gills, but I can't justify getting a new one and losing all of the excellent mods I've installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think Hello Games topped out at 9~ or so developers, it's always been a small group.

Currently they’re at 25 employees.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Lucas Archer posted:

Whoever they have on it is doing a good job of making it fun to play. I still haven't touched base building, I'm just flying around in my freighter and shooting down pirates, stupid sentinels, and hunting artifacts.

I really need a new Multi-tool, but my current (S rank) 8 slot one is stuffed to the gills, but I can't justify getting a new one and losing all of the excellent mods I've installed.

A 24-slot B- class will let you install more modules to boost stats way over what you can max out on an S with that few slots.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Multitools dont destabilize after 3 modules?

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Dont Touch ME posted:

Multitools dont destabilize after 3 modules?

You can have the following:
The base module (mining laser, boltcaster, etc) plus blueprint upgrade (advanced mining laser, waveform recycler, etc) plus three upgrade modules (purchased with nanites).
That is for each type.
You can have three scanner upgrades and three mining laser upgrades and three boltcaster upgrades, etc, all together in harmony.

With an 8-slot MT you probably can't even max out the scanner, let alone anything else. Especially since the low slot MTs are prone to ultra lovely layouts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
That's true, I have a 24-slot pink rifle and even here I haven't maxed everything out. I may have been to over-eager in installing stuff on general, though: My rifle has terrain grenades, the terrain manipulator, plasma grenades, the scanner, a mining beam, a beam weapon and the boltcaster. 1-2 upgrades from blueprints for each and the rest is stuffed full with upgrade modules.

I think I would need a 35-slot weapon to truly max everything

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
You don't really need every weapon type, find the one that you like and then use that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I pretty much never use anything outside of the basic weapon and the occasional grenade, but fully upgraded, the base gun does fine at basically everything so even grenades are questionable in their use.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also grenades can hurt you, whereas your own gun cannot.

Do not get the geology cannon. Don't. Trust me on this. If you do get it, do not upgrade its lethality. Trust me on this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HiKaizer posted:

You don't really need every weapon type, find the one that you like and then use that.

I like all of them

Angry Diplomat posted:

Do not get the geology cannon. Don't. Trust me on this. If you do get it, do not upgrade its lethality. Trust me on this.

In my last session, I killed myself three times in a row.

1. Trying to mine something in front of me, forgot I had grenades active, tried using my scope, learned my scope wasn't selected
2 + 3. Tried to open a door, got the distance wrong two times

I love this poo poo. :allears:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Angry Diplomat posted:

A good excuse to repost this:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Without one, how the hell are you supposed to beat the giant walkers that appear when the security level gets too high? I've encountered them a couple of times, and just get roasted to hell and back within a few seconds.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The giant walkers have weak spots that you're supposed to blow up in a sequence. I forget exactly what the sequence is but you can hurt them with accurate weapons as well as huge explosions.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Blow all the armour off their legs, then their torso. If they're nuking you to poo poo within moments, you shouldn't be trying to tangle with them until you've upgraded your suit to be capable of withstanding more firepower. You may also need some weapon upgrades for your tool, if you find that your shots are barely fazing them; they're big blobs of armour and health, so trying to blow them up with hand weaponry is an exercise in self-abuse if your damage output sucks.

Always stay on the move when fighting those guys, and try to fight near cover so you can duck to a safer spot when they start to light you up.

I've beaten those things on foot many times, and honestly it mostly comes down to having lots of durability and firepower. If you can't beat them, it's almost certainly because you haven't stacked enough S-class upgrades, more than any other reason.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fight walkers in your ship.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zesty posted:

Fight walkers in your ship.

Is your avatar from the Gunship "Artemis and Perzival" video? It looks like it. Speaking of Gunship, I wish NMS had a way to add custom soundtracks. That game needs a delicious 80s synthwave soundtrack.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Yeah, it must be my lack of firepower. My multi-tool is mostly built up for scanning and mining - it makes me wish I could store multi-tools like I do ships, so I could have a combat multi-tool and a mining multi-tool.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I found it way harder to use my ship to fight walkers than on foot. The walker kept bugging out and I kept not hitting it where I needed too. Once you get some S-Class boltcaster mods you can shred walkers. Just don't stand still and get hit.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

haveblue posted:

The giant walkers have weak spots that you're supposed to blow up in a sequence. I forget exactly what the sequence is but you can hurt them with accurate weapons as well as huge explosions.

Oh, once the legs are gone there's a spot on their face, basically on their chin. There's a kind of protruding greeble panel there, the upper face of it is a weak point. Right here.

Shoot this motherfucker right here. The Chargin Mah Lazer gun, the Blaze Javelin, does well at this (and only this, really).

An uprated Blaze Javelin with triple augments and max charge will do tons of damage with each shot there, once the leg armor is off. Like, thousands. Five or six shots, and it's toast. It actually almost trivializes Walker encounters. Three plasma nades plonked there will do it too, if you are amenable to occasional fratricide.

You can also one shot Sentinel drones by shooting them in the eye with the Javelin, same deal. And the BigDogs have a spot either on the rear end or the spine that is similarly vulnerable.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Any chance they will at least consider combining the storage units on bases so I only have to open one thing instead of 10?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Nah, if it makes the interface less clunky they are not interested :v:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/no-mans-sky

PC version is on sale (55% off) for the next 11 days or so.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Is farming still viable? I just started and getting money is a drag, only found an a rank multi-tool with +36% to scanning, put 3 s rank scanner upgrades but it's still a slog. I was hoping to find a farm guide but they are all around a year old and refer to materials no longer in the game. They say it's nerfed but I'm looking to make like 100 mil not billions.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If you’re willing to cheese, you can get a loop going with large refiners: turn indium into chromatic metal, then combine the chromatic metal with more indium to duplicate the indium. It also works with emeril and cadmium, and you can do other loops with other materials.

If not, then find an area with a lot of abomination eggs. The abominations can’t climb, they take a moment to wind up their attacks, and their acid shots are very weak. So, you can just grab the eggs quickly and jetpack to safety.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Early game easy money:

Storm crystals
Salvageable scrap
Ancient bones

Farming can also be really good, but you need to go through the farming quests before you can make the highest level products (circuit boards, explosive, living glass).

Another thing that sells for a surprisingly high price if you're still early in the game is Chlorine. Grab lots of salt from somewhere and refine it. Not the most efficient in the long term but it's rather valuable for the effort it takes.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Storm crystals are amazing for making money. If you can find a planet that has frequent extreme storms you can rake in millions upon millions.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Oh the latest major update totally ruined the awesome retrowave planet I found :smith: It went from neon pink/blue to monochrome washed out pink.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Thanks for the tips, found a nice extreme weather planet and a fossil planet in the same system I'm gonna dick around in for a bit.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thought I'd give the game a chance since it's half off and w/e, man this tutorial is some painful garbage.

E: the game wants me to build a base and a computer and hire staff and stuff but that seems really weird? Can I easily move this thing in one big chunk later, or teleport back whenever I want or something? Putting down roots in a game about being a space nomad/explorer seems awkward and unhelpful.

Do I need to find the 'right' spot to put down a base or does it not really matter?

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 20, 2019

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Agent355 posted:

Thought I'd give the game a chance since it's half off and w/e, man this tutorial is some painful garbage.

E: the game wants me to build a base and a computer and hire staff and stuff but that seems really weird? Can I easily move this thing in one big chunk later, or teleport back whenever I want or something? Putting down roots in a game about being a space nomad/explorer seems awkward and unhelpful.

Do I need to find the 'right' spot to put down a base or does it not really matter?

You'd need to build a teleporter, but yeah. You can teleport from any space station to your base(s). I have three bases for resource farming and gases. It's easy to get to each one. Also, you can deconstruct and get 100% of the resources back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It really feels like they ought to completely overhaul base building to where it pulls resources from wherever and also they should let you always be able to teleport anything in your inventory to the cloud or your freighter or whatever

Inventory management absolutely 100% does not belong in this game except on survival mode imo

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Whats the point of sentinels? They just float around and get mad if you try and use resources so they just exist to distract you from playing the game? Are there planets that just don't have them or can they be pacified/turned off somehow? I'm not sure what these are supposed to be adding to the experience.

E: one more thing. I know that on release your space ship wasn't truly free-flight, instead it was this weird locked-height sort of deal. Is that still how it works? The flight phsyics feel really odd and I'm not sure if that just means I"m a garbage pilot or if there is some weird nudging the game is doing that makes it feel off.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 21, 2019

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You can fly your ship wherever you want and crash it into as many things as you want. The exception is space stations and similar, which you can only crash into on the outside; entering them puts your ship on autopilot and lands it neatly in an appropriate spot, so you sadly cannot hit the boosters and ricochet around inside until you explode.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There are planets without Sentinels (and generally nothing else) but their main purpose is to serve as an opposing faction that is present throughout the game. You can find planets without any present, but generally there is a baseline presence to prevent you from just doing whatever you want without compunction. Later on you'll need recipes from their factories or find planets with a higher presence of sentinels that lead you to directly confronting them rather than just getting disapproving scans because you broke a plant.

Planetary flight isn't fixed-height (I don't think it ever really was) but the ships do try to keep you a certain distance from the terrain automatically, which does take some getting used to, especially if you're trying to make tight turns at a low height, and you kind of have to go out of your way to get them to strike the ground.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Originally you could not get as close to the surface of a planet as you can now. That was a big update in...NEXT? I think?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Aren't there also Sentinel-ships? As in, if you make them angry enough they'll summon their space fleet and continue hunting you even in space?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I bought this game last night and played a couple hours. I’m digging it. Enough to finally by a VR headset for the upcoming update.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I bought this game last night and played a couple hours. I’m digging it. Enough to finally by a VR headset for the upcoming update.

the rift s just came out today, but i want to try it first because even Palmer Luckey, the dude who started it, said that he can't even use it comfortable because of it's non-adjustable IPD.

I've got a big ol' head, so i'm a little worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Libluini posted:

Aren't there also Sentinel-ships? As in, if you make them angry enough they'll summon their space fleet and continue hunting you even in space?

Yeah, usually this only happens if you attack civilian ships in space or else have a four-star pursuit on your rear end when you hop in your ship.

If you want to use your spaceship to travel around a planet really fast, you don't fly low to the ground, you go up into low orbit space, whereby the game starts greatly accelerating your speed and you whip around the planet nicely fast.