Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

you pound it to decrease the thickness, so it cooks quicker from each side. chicken breast is naturally uneven, so if you try searing a chonker of a breast, the middle will be uncooked, cause it's way way thicker than the ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ulio posted:

Beginner at cooking here. So I pan seared a two chicken breast(boneless skinless) the other week and they came out fine. I did like 4 minutes each side on medium high heat. Today I did a larger piece and it didn't cook properly. I see lots of people pounding the chicken breast to make it even and some people steam it on low after cooking the sides. Why pound it? Also some people do cuts through the chicken breast is that just for the seasoning or does it cook better as well? And is steaming a good option toward the end so you can cook the interiors for sure? Thanks in advance.

pounding it a bit flattens the chicken breast to be more equal thickness, so that it will cook faster and more evenly.

IDK about steaming but pounding is one of the easiest ways to get better chicken breasts.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pounding is one way. People sometimes cut the breast lengthwise so you get 2 flatter pieces, which also works but takes a little practice to get even pieces.

I just try to find smaller breasts tbh.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Those who meal prep via chopping veggies, maybe simply cooking them vs the cook a big pot of stew kind. How do you store your things? I don't want things going weird in a way that would make me not want to eat them because that kind of defeats the purpose.

I know 100% that I cannot cook a bit pot of curry or stew and eat it for more than 3 meals in a row.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Chicken breast can get pretty tough, especially if you overcook it, so pounding has the dual benefit of tenderizing it while also reducing the needed cooking time.

My favorite chicken breast trick is to brine it, which makes it much more tender, flavorful, and juicy. Something about the process makes it much less sensitive to overcooking, and I am always in favor of idiot-proof dishes.

To make a basic brine, combine 4 cups of cold water, 2 tablespoons of salt, and one tablespoon of sugar, and let the raw chicken sit in the refrigerated brine for anywhere between 15 minutes to 2 hours. The chicken will give off more juice when cooked, so make sure your pan isn't too shallow if you're roasting it or something.

The final tip is to let the chicken rest for five minutes after you've taken it off the heat to allow any residual heat to continue cooking it through and to allow the juices to cool and redistribute through the meat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jyrraeth posted:

Those who meal prep via chopping veggies, maybe simply cooking them vs the cook a big pot of stew kind. How do you store your things? I don't want things going weird in a way that would make me not want to eat them because that kind of defeats the purpose.

I know 100% that I cannot cook a bit pot of curry or stew and eat it for more than 3 meals in a row.

If I do a chickpea curry it keeps for at least 5 days in the fridge and same for the rice and I keep both separate. Both are stored in larger pyrex dishes with just a plastic lid.

For lunches I do ~3oz of some kind of lean meat and a few different roasted vegetables and just fill up a small square top tupperware container (think ones that would hold a large square sandwich) with the roasted veg. Those keep at least 6 days typically and I make 5 days worth of lunches for my wife and I every Sunday.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Alright thanks those are good tips. I got it perfect in my first time but I assume that was because the piece was so tender and thin which I did pound a bit. This one was huge I couldn't pound it, so from now I will just hammer/pound it and buy smaller pieces.

I am trying to cook at least one new thing every week. Is there a good place to find recipes by seeing how much protein it has? The most common I see is chicken breast with rice + few veggies which I already know.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chicken breast and bread and fried breading or seasoning of choice!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ulio posted:

Alright thanks those are good tips. I got it perfect in my first time but I assume that was because the piece was so tender and thin which I did pound a bit. This one was huge I couldn't pound it, so from now I will just hammer/pound it and buy smaller pieces.

I am trying to cook at least one new thing every week. Is there a good place to find recipes by seeing how much protein it has? The most common I see is chicken breast with rice + few veggies which I already know.

The back of a knife (preferably a heavier one like a cleaver) works alright for pounding.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

totalnewbie posted:

The back of a knife (preferably a heavier one like a cleaver) works alright for pounding.

Yeah but make sure you don't get the blade in there, that's one embarrassing trip to the ER.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

totalnewbie posted:

My preferred method for pounding meat has been to place it in a ziplock freezer bag and hit it with cast iron or some other heavy pan.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone recommend a super simple, easy chicken thigh curry recipe? I have some thighs left over and I was planning on doing a curry that is half thigh / breast. Would I just add the breast in during the last 20 mins of cooking?

I want a simple curry to feed four friends, but don't want the hassle of going all superstar gourmet.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Qubee posted:

Can someone recommend a super simple, easy chicken thigh curry recipe? I have some thighs left over and I was planning on doing a curry that is half thigh / breast. Would I just add the breast in during the last 20 mins of cooking?

I want a simple curry to feed four friends, but don't want the hassle of going all superstar gourmet.

Which region?

Easiest method is crack a can of maseri curry paste and follow the instructions on that flavor for veg/ingredients.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Or find some Japanese curry roux and make a delicious curry with chicken and some root vegetables (onions, carrots, onions, potatoes, onions, sweet potatoes, and then add a few more onions for good measure).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

EVG posted:

some Japanese curry roux

Or just mix your own with 2:1 curry:garam masala (and the roux..)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

totalnewbie posted:

Or just mix your own with 2:1 curry:garam masala (and the roux..)

japanese curry uses a different spice blend and ratio than your typical "curry powder" or garam masala. you want cardamom heavy, aniseed heavy, a few other tweaks

it really is worth buying the roux blocks if you aren't super obsessive (I am super obsessive and mix my own out of fresh spices every time I make it)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's lots of variations on Japanese curry, yes.

Also lots of variations of curry powder and garam masala mix.

But those two basic ingredients will get you a basic Japanese curry.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I mean kind of a bit, sure, but if you're going to mix powders, why not just grind up a few whole spices http://www.justhungry.com/formula-making-japanese-curry-powder

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I just mentioned it because to me, curry powder and garam masala are just spice blends people have and he asked for quick and easy. Though on second thought, maybe not everyone keeps curry powder and garam masala on hand...

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I refuse to buy pre made garam masala because I'm going to make my own but I never make my own

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I bought premade garam masala and it tastes like christmas. Not sure which component it is exactly but it's got far too much of it. Currently using it up one pinch at a time cause it's really overwhelming.

e: although that might actually work really well for a Japanese curry, now that I think about it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Too much clove and/or nutmeg, likely. I'd guess clove, that's one of those spices that's great as part of a mix but can easily get overwhelming if you aren't careful. Nutmeg isn't as strong.

If you have an electric coffee grinder homemade is not at all time consuming.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

totalnewbie posted:

I just mentioned it because to me, curry powder and garam masala are just spice blends people have and he asked for quick and easy. Though on second thought, maybe not everyone keeps curry powder and garam masala on hand...

if you want quick and easy there are these convenient products sold called curry roux blocks hope that helps 🤠

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I need to make a sticky date pudding to take into work tomorrow morning. Is it going to work if I make the batter tonight, stick it in the fridge and just bake it tomorrow?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

if you want quick and easy there are these convenient products sold called curry roux blocks hope that helps 🤠

Again, the point is that he might have had curry powder and garam masala at home but not curry blocks. You are way too worked up about this.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I bought premade garam masala and it tastes like christmas. Not sure which component it is exactly but it's got far too much of it. Currently using it up one pinch at a time cause it's really overwhelming.

e: although that might actually work really well for a Japanese curry, now that I think about it

Or maybe coriander? Don't know that it tastes "like Christmas" but I've seen lots of blends with just way too much coriander.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There is a Macaroni and cheese off at work and I am thinking of doing a classic kind of southern style crawfish mac and cheese. Thoughts on some cheese? Most certainly Gruyere as one. I think the base will definitely be a Bechamel sauce and oven baked. Topping I am thinking something like French Onion topping with Panko Bread Crumbs

Kind of doing my own thing off of something I use to eat in New Orleans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it a contest?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

There is a Macaroni and cheese off at work and I am thinking of doing a classic kind of southern style crawfish mac and cheese. Thoughts on some cheese? Most certainly Gruyere as one. I think the base will definitely be a Bechamel sauce and oven baked. Topping I am thinking something like French Onion topping with Panko Bread Crumbs

Kind of doing my own thing off of something I use to eat in New Orleans.

Make a stock from the shells and use that for a veloute

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Steve Yun posted:

Is it a contest?

Yes it is. Mac and Cheese contest. I mean I definitelly wanna do Southern style because I am from the south , I am thinking that I can get some crabmeat for a decent price , then get crawfish. Do Crawfish and Crabmeat Mac And Cheese.

I mean these are the ingredients I am thinking of going with

High Quality Elboy Macaroni

Gruyere

Fontina

Some sort of Cheddar

A Little Parmesan

French's Fried Onion , Panko Bread Crumbs as the topping

Creole Seasoning

Garlic

Heavy Cream

Irish Butter

Lb of Crawfish

Lb of Crab meat ( unfotunately will have to buy canned or most inexpensive I can get I am midwest and its reall loving expensive here)

I really wanna show off some southern tastes in it since I am from Louisiana, I thought of andouille and crawfish but I find the sausage too overpowering.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 23, 2019

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=605DPLl8Gqg

That video might give you some ideas for what cheeses to use.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Or maybe coriander? Don't know that it tastes "like Christmas" but I've seen lots of blends with just way too much coriander.
Coriander is definitely the #1 ingredient and there's also a good amount of cloves and nutmeg; in fact the list goes coriander, cumin, allspice, nutmeg, pepper, cardamom, cloves, fennel, bay leaves. It's TRS, and I usually like their spices, but this stuff is pretty heavy. Actually, it's probably more specifically "gingerbread" than general "Christmas". Yeah, I could probably straight use it as gingerbread spice and no one would bat an eye.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Ya the pounding helped a lot. My third try with pan chicken and it came out superb. I did buy thinner chicken breast and I sliced the pieces to make it a bit thinner then pound a bit.

I had another issue. So I made meatballs and spaghetti. Can someone tell me how to properly cook the meatballs while frying the outside but also cooking the inside? It was cooked but I wanted to be more cooked inside. I fried the outside first then I simmered it with the tomato sauce but it was super soft but cooked. When my mom made them there were a lot harder? More well done not sure?

The recipe I saw didn't give the time it took the person to cook it and what heat so I fried at high then simmered at medium-lowish for around 30 mins.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ulio posted:

Ya the pounding helped a lot. My third try with pan chicken and it came out superb. I did buy thinner chicken breast and I sliced the pieces to make it a bit thinner then pound a bit.

I had another issue. So I made meatballs and spaghetti. Can someone tell me how to properly cook the meatballs while frying the outside but also cooking the inside? It was cooked but I wanted to be more cooked inside. I fried the outside first then I simmered it with the tomato sauce but it was super soft but cooked. When my mom made them there were a lot harder? More well done not sure?

The recipe I saw didn't give the time it took the person to cook it and what heat so I fried at high then simmered at medium-lowish for around 30 mins.

The springiness may have to do with the amount of handling your mom did with her balls (lol). The more you handle/knead ground meat, the more proteins within cross-link, leading to a springier texture. If you're looking for a more toothsome meatball, really work that ground meat before you form into balls. Also, a finer grind may help.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They're probably salted before forming as well which'll give the ball a more sausage texture. Maybe that's all meatballs, I dunno, I enjoy phallic meat.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

You can also try baking the meatballs instead of frying them. I space them apart a little in a baking dish (if they’re crowded they don’t brown as nicely) with a bit of olive oil on the bottom and bake them until almost done, then finish in the sauce while the pasta cooks. It’s also easier to clean up after than frying and lets you do a very large batch at once, which is helpful if you’re feeding a crowd or want to freeze portions for later.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sweet Custom Van posted:

You can also try baking the meatballs instead of frying them. I space them apart a little in a baking dish (if they’re crowded they don’t brown as nicely) with a bit of olive oil on the bottom and bake them until almost done, then finish in the sauce while the pasta cooks. It’s also easier to clean up after than frying and lets you do a very large batch at once, which is helpful if you’re feeding a crowd or want to freeze portions for later.

What temp and how long do you bake till or you just tell by looking?

The Midniter posted:

The springiness may have to do with the amount of handling your mom did with her balls (lol). The more you handle/knead ground meat, the more proteins within cross-link, leading to a springier texture. If you're looking for a more toothsome meatball, really work that ground meat before you form into balls. Also, a finer grind may help.

I don't think I have a grinder. I think I kneaded it well. The recipe I was using added flour on it's surface and had breadcumb inside it so maybe that made it softer really not sure. Or maybe I should have just cooked it longer. If I cooked the meatballs longer inside a dutch oven with the sauce would they have gotten softer or hardeR?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ulio posted:

What temp and how long do you bake till or you just tell by looking?

I don't think I have a grinder. I think I kneaded it well. The recipe I was using added flour on it's surface and had breadcumb inside it so maybe that made it softer really not sure. Or maybe I should have just cooked it longer. If I cooked the meatballs longer inside a dutch oven with the sauce would they have gotten softer or hardeR?

They would have gotten harder, but that's pretty much a result of them drying out which you don't want.

I completely forgot about Submarine Sandpaper's point; seasoning them before forming into meatballs will definitely lead to a springier texture as well.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
If you want a crunchy browned exterior you'll have to bake, broil, pan fry, or deep fry.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are there any particularly quick and easy ways to apply sauce to buffalo wings? I’m gonna make some on the grill for Memorial Day, and my old method is to just brush it on each wing one at a time, but there has to be a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I. M. Gei posted:

Are there any particularly quick and easy ways to apply sauce to buffalo wings? I’m gonna make some on the grill for Memorial Day, and my old method is to just brush it on each wing one at a time, but there has to be a better way.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-Magnum-X7-Airless-Paint-Sprayer-262805/100634350