Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Nessa, how have things been going with your husband?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
My wife was induced over a week ago due to a growth restriction picked up at about 34 weeks. The induction was almost too effective but we got a lovely baby boy and they say that it was a relatively short labor. Despite being so very tiny he's growing and feeding well.
But he's still small, so I can't help worrying, just generally.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Lobsterpillar posted:

My wife was induced over a week ago due to a growth restriction picked up at about 34 weeks. The induction was almost too effective but we got a lovely baby boy and they say that it was a relatively short labor. Despite being so very tiny he's growing and feeding well.

The worry is normal, and fine. Was he born at term?

My brother was 6 weeks premature and tiny, hooked up to machines. He’s 6 foot 1 now, very healthy.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Lobsterpillar posted:

Congrats! It's so scary how delicate they seem, right? It's fine to fret, that feeling does go away as you watch them get bigger and more robust.

For reference, my guy came at just past 37 weeks and was 6lb when we brought him home, and then, well...

I've asked the grandparents to stop buying clothes. It's always, always too late.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for an app that can keep track of feedings and poops? Stuff like left boob vs right, duration that kinda thing?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for an app that can keep track of feedings and poops? Stuff like left boob vs right, duration that kinda thing?

I use the ‘baby tracker’ app, and have done since not long after she was born. Super useful and user friendly, and has capacity to display/export graphs.

Nowadays I only track sleep and weight, but it was great in the early days for everything else too.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
Seconding Baby Tracker. I use the free version so I can’t look at the graphs but at almost six months I mainly use it to help me remember which side she needs to start eating on. We also input her height, weight, and head circumference from every doctor’s visit to keep track as well.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How does that app monetize your baby's metrics? Sell it straight to facebook?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

pmchem posted:

How does that app monetize your baby's metrics? Sell it straight to facebook?

Given how many Amazon, enfamil, and babiesrus ads we started getting, probably.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I love data and had high hopes of using Baby Tracker to, uh, track the baby, but threw it out the window when she was actually born. The level of detail available in the tracking was intimidating and made us feel like we had to do extra work to match its level of precision. So we bailed and stuck a graph paper chart on the baby's door to record the day/hour of feedings and diapers. When we ran out of rows at the end of the month, my wife switched to just recording feeding times on her phone's notepad app.

This shouldn't discourage people from tracking data however they want to, though!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We also use baby tracker mostly for my husband and I to know when she last ate or was changed when we have trouble remembering in the midst of the sleep deprivation. We do shifts sometimes so it's nice to just be able to look and see what the last person did instead of relying on memory. You can link multiple people up the app which is nice. I paid for the graphs and stuff with Google survey credit but my husband just uses it for entry.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 24, 2019

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

I use Glow Baby, the free version. It has a timer that tells you which boob was used last, or you can enter the time manually. You can track diaper changes and pee/poo. You can also track sleep but I don’t bother with that because the stretches between feeding is when she sleeps. It also has a graph feature for height and weight and plugs it into percentiles, which is really nice to know.

You can see I’m currently stuck in her 5-6 week fussy developmental leap hell.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I still use Baby Tracker and he’s almost 2. It’s mostly for tracking poops, medicine and sleep now, so I can see patterns that I might not otherwise notice.

But in the early days it was extremely useful for keeping track when I was exhausted, and when switching off with my husband.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

obi_ant posted:

I tried Baby Tracker, and it was good, but for a variety of reasons, found myself never using anything electronic, especially at night. Instead, I just tracked diapers/ feeding duration in a notebook, and used a hair tie on my wrist to track what side to start feeding on next.

Honestly, I gave up all tracking except which side to nurse from after the LCs we're content with everything (maybe a week or two). I found it a hassle.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

A lot better, actually. He’s been really great.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Pinus Porcus posted:

I tried Baby Tracker, and it was good, but for a variety of reasons, found myself never using anything electronic, especially at night. Instead, I just tracked diapers/ feeding duration in a notebook, and used a hair tie on my wrist to track what side to start feeding on next.

Honestly, I gave up all tracking except which side to nurse from after the LCs we're content with everything (maybe a week or two). I found it a hassle.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I downloaded the apps on my wife’s phone so hopefully something will bite.

She’s currently using a little notebook. The hair tie idea is a great one.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

For those of you who have had C-sections, how serious is the no stairs rule? It's looking like my bb will be coming via C-section and my bedroom and bathroom are both upstairs; trying to figure out if I'll be trapped up there for a week or if I can take a few trips downstairs to go on walks outside?

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
I guess it depends. I didn't have any stair restrictions after my c-section (which is good, because my house is all stairs.)

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.

watchoutitsabear posted:

For those of you who have had C-sections, how serious is the no stairs rule? It's looking like my bb will be coming via C-section and my bedroom and bathroom are both upstairs; trying to figure out if I'll be trapped up there for a week or if I can take a few trips downstairs to go on walks outside?

I was only home for a day after my c-section before I had to go back to the hospital (yay post-partum preeclampsia :rolleyes:), but for me at least even getting out of the hospital bed was pretty hard. Obviously everyone is different and has different pain tolerances but I think if I had been home I would have had to stay upstairs that first week. However, I was able to do pretty much everything (including lifting my at-the-time 22-pound 2.5 year-old even though that was a no-no) by the time my husband went back to work after two weeks.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
First time posting, first pregnancy. I'm 4.6 weeks today by LMP. First pregnancy test was positive at 3.2 weeks which I still can't believe was even possible; apparently I have a ridiculously short cycle.

I'm 31 and moved to Barcelona from the U.S. a few months ago with my husband. I'm a registered nurse in the States (my area is actually pregnancy/maternity and abortion care) and I'm starting an absurdly complicated process to get my nursing license validated over here. Which is a fancy way of saying I'm currently unemployed, which is terrifying. We're ok on my husband's salary but it still sucks.

We wanted to get pregnant and actually succeeded on my second month off birth control, which blows my mind. Now that it's a reality, naturally I'm freaking out and feeling ambivalent as gently caress and how could I possibly have ever thought this would be a good idea. I've had anxiety and depression basically all my life and in the week and a half since I've known my emotions have been a roller coaster. I want nothing more than to feel excited and happy. Unfortunately I mostly feel dread and self-doubt about everything from my mental health issues to my unemployment to being so far from most of my support system to navigating the healthcare system here to actually giving birth and oh yeah then having an actual baby.

My first step is to go to an appointment next week with primary care (finally defeated the bureaucracy here to get my health card after like 4 attempts, yay) and get referred to an OB or midwife from there. Then start dealing with my mental health stuff, plan some therapy and self-care strategies, etc.

Not looking for anything in particular except maybe general reassurances and validation. And if anyone has experience with being pregnant/having a baby in Spain in particular that would be awesome.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 26, 2019

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Pinus Porcus posted:

I similarly gave up tracking with my second baby much much faster than my first- probably within the first two weeks. We changed her every couple of hours, she was on the boob all the drat time, and she slept when she wanted to- we either held her/carried her or she was in a pram, no routine to speak of for the first 4-6 months apart from 'do whatever the baby wants'. I didn't stress about which boob to put her on, just whichever one felt fuller to start with and then offer the other if she didn't seem satisfied, the end. A quick self squeeze was always quicker than trying to keep track- amazing how fast groping your own boobs in public feels totally normal when you breastfeed. And if you get into pumping that's next level again- towards the end of my pumping days at work for my first kid I'd be jiggling them while bending over, vigorously massaging them, wringing the heck out of them in time with that damnable pump's brutal maximum vacuum sucks until they were dried up floppy pancake bags. Admittedly not in public though, the one saving grace. Oh and at least I have blunt nails. My second baby (now nine months) has been virtually all the above for me by herself during feeds, but with razor sharp dagger-claws that leave welts and draws blood on occasion.

Breastfeeding is magical, y'all.

Having said all that I did briefly consider weighing nappies in the early days to work out how much urine output baby was making- if we have a third I might actually do it since I'm a proven almost-zero colustrum producer and milk takes so long to come in for me. Those disposables hold can hold so much. Apparently this trend is infecting cloth users too--I've been seeing a rise in posts on various FB groups asking for recommendations for very specific mL urine outputs. Unless these parents are weighing their kids nappies/soiled bedding I don't know how they're getting that data short of a catheter bag.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

2DEG posted:

Congrats! It's so scary how delicate they seem, right? It's fine to fret, that feeling does go away as you watch them get bigger and more robust.

For reference, my guy came at just past 37 weeks and was 6lb when we brought him home, and then, well...

I've asked the grandparents to stop buying clothes. It's always, always too late.

38 weeks, and probably at a similar birth weight, and does seem to be growing well. I'm really looking forward to him being bigger and less skinny. It's quite nice to have a baby sleeping on you even if it means you lose the use of that arm for a while. He didn't quite need to go into intensive care after birth which was a relief. The babies and parents who go through that must have a pretty hard time.

Nihilistic Magpie
Nov 21, 2018

boquiabierta posted:

First time posting, first pregnancy. I'm 4.6 weeks today by LMP. First pregnancy test was positive at 3.2 weeks which I still can't believe was even possible; apparently I have a ridiculously short cycle.

I'm 31 and moved to Barcelona from the U.S. a few months ago with my husband. I'm a registered nurse in the States (my area is actually pregnancy/maternity and abortion care) and I'm starting an absurdly complicated process to get my nursing license validated over here. Which is a fancy way of saying I'm currently unemployed, which is terrifying. We're ok on my husband's salary but it still sucks.

We wanted to get pregnant and actually succeeded on my second month off birth control, which blows my mind. Now that it's a reality, naturally I'm freaking out and feeling ambivalent as gently caress and how could I possibly have ever thought this would be a good idea. I've had anxiety and depression basically all my life and in the week and a half since I've known my emotions have been a roller coaster. I want nothing more than to feel excited and happy. Unfortunately I mostly feel dread and self-doubt about everything from my mental health issues to my unemployment to being so far from most of my support system to navigating the healthcare system here to actually giving birth and oh yeah then having an actual baby.

My first step is to go to an appointment next week with primary care (finally defeated the bureaucracy here to get my health card after like 4 attempts, yay) and get referred to an OB or midwife from there. Then start dealing with my mental health stuff, plan some therapy and self-care strategies, etc.

Not looking for anything in particular except maybe general reassurances and validation. And if anyone has experience with being pregnant/having a baby in Spain in particular that would be awesome.

Haven't had a baby in Spain, but have definately dealt with the mental health stuff. Pregnancy was not kind to me (antepartum and postpartum depression and anxiety).

I remember feeling almost exactly the same as you do after finding out I was pregnant. We had kind of been trying, but it was still a surprise. My emotions were all over the place. They were at their worst during the first trimester (which is common, the Internet told me). It was like someone was rolling a dice that determined how extreme my reaction to something was.

I saw a number of doctors during the first part of my pregnancy. I told them how I was feeling and I was met with "that's normal, don't worry about it" to "if it gets worse (i.e. you feel like you want to hurt yourself) then we'll do something." I was hesitant to ask for medication, for no particular reason other than I couldn't make good rational decisions. My advice is if you're feeling out of control and completely miserable, talk to your doctor about your options (therapy, medication). Don't be afraid to consider medication if you aren't feeling better. Looking back, I wish I had pushed for meds. Maybe I wouldn't have loathed being pregnant as much as I did.

As to being away from your support network, even though it's still early in your pregnancy (I know people say wait until you're further along to tell people), I'd say phone/email/Skype, etc. people at home. All the time. Being pregnant can be really lonely.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I told my family and close friends right away. I was convinced I would miscarry and I decided that if I would share with someone that I miscarried, I would share that I was pregnant right away. Obviously a very personal choice, but it was nice to have people to talk to outside of my husband.

I had a lot of issues with my body not feeling like my own when I was pregnant. That probably factored into us not breastfeeding as well. We are a few weeks postpartum, am on lorazepam, and I'm feeling like myself again for the first time in a long time, despite the crushing sleep deprivation.

Take care of yourself, don't hesitate to get the help you need.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Agree with the previous advice and would definitely maintain your support network with family and/or friends back home if you can. We moved to a new city with no family when my son was 5 weeks old and even though they were only 2 hours away it was very isolating. In my case, sadly, after we moved I realised I was teetering on the edge of PND and instead of bolstering me when I was shaky, my husband was really harsh and critical and said a number of things he probably didn't mean but have stayed with me. I took myself to therapy to help get my stability back so I guess my harsh lesson is make sure you have other support options and don't assume that your partner will be a source to help you deal with these feelings. It was a rude shock to me that I didn't.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My kid is kinda weird, in about the span of a week, she went from eating 10ml each feeding to roughly 80ml each feeding. I’m not too worried about the amount, but she’s currently on a 2.5-3.5 hourly feeding schedule and every time she eats, it’s like an angry dog attacking a steak. Should I change the feeding schedule to something earlier? Or do kids just eat like a pack of hungry wolves?

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Had my first primary care appointment here in Spain on Friday, which was disappointing to say the least. Once I told the MD that I'm pregnant and anxious and depressed, she turfed me off to psych and OB without even collecting my full health history, medication list, or performing any sort of exam. I went in with a list of issues I wanted to talk about, unrelated to pregnancy or mental health so relevant for primary care, and she never gave me an opportunity to bring them up. I did mention that I've been having palpitations and what I think are PVCs (a type of irregular heartbeat) and she referred me for an EKG without even listening to my heart. The EKG isn't for another two weeks. I don't know if it's just the system here or her specifically, but even though I'm a nurse and generally feel able to advocate for myself in healthcare situations, I left feeling dismissed, dismayed and totally powerless. Not to mention this is all in Spanish, which I'm good enough at that I can definitely get by, but it's not exactly comfortable.

I can only imagine my midwifery care here will be more comprehensive, because midwifery/OB IS primary care during pregnancy, but still, I thought it would still be worthwhile to establish primary care. My midwife appointment is next week, when I'll be seven weeks. They wouldn't see me before then. In the meantime, I'm struggling over the meds I take and would desperately like to talk to someone about them during this critical time when organs are forming. Oh and for my own peace of mind I'd really like to confirm that it's an IUP and not ectopic.

I would love to complain, or at least give some feedback to this primary care provider, but I'm so out of my element in this unfamiliar healthcare system. I just don't know how things work here and after being an insider in U.S. healthcare it's a terrible feeling. I don't even know if I can switch doctors.

I never did anything but complain about the U.S. healthcare system and romanticize European-style socialized medicine, and maybe it will turn out to be great, but god what a lovely introduction.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Palpitations and PVCs are very normal during pregnancy. I had them occasionally before I was pregnant and can feel when I have PVCs, which I confirmed by hooking myself up to an EKG at work lol. During pregnancy I was having palpitations and PVSs nonstop for the entire pregnancy. Now that I’m postpartum I’ve only noticed a few in the past month.

Sorry your experience was awful, I hope your OB goes well and you can get your answers there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Can you go to appointments together with someone? Hopefully with language skills and/or pregnancy experience?

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

^^Not really, unfortunately. My husband speaks very little Spanish and we don’t really know anyone else here. It’s going to be hard enough to schedule appt times that work for him too. My Spanish is pretty good, I can handle myself, it’s just that it would be so much easier and more comfortable to do this in my native language.

They don’t have any sort of law here requiring interpreters, which blows my mind coming from the U.S. It’s entirely your problem if you don’t speak the language. I’ve already acted as interpreter once for my husband at his dr’s appt, which is uncomfortable and frankly unethical, but he didn’t want to hire a 3rd party interpreter. This is in Barcelona, a major international city.

Koivunen posted:

Palpitations and PVCs are very normal during pregnancy. I had them occasionally before I was pregnant and can feel when I have PVCs, which I confirmed by hooking myself up to an EKG at work lol. During pregnancy I was having palpitations and PVSs nonstop for the entire pregnancy. Now that I’m postpartum I’ve only noticed a few in the past month.

Sorry your experience was awful, I hope your OB goes well and you can get your answers there.

Thanks for the info about palpitations and PVCs in pregnancy, I didn't know. That's reassuring. Honestly I feel like the EKG will be useless because what is the likelihood that I'll throw a PVC in that window? But what am I going to do, demand a 24-hr Holter and to what end? If it's a normal variation of pregnancy and nothing to worry about that's all I need to know, I guess.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 3, 2019

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

nyerf posted:

I don't know how they're getting that data short of a catheter bag.
What, are you saying you DON'T have a stash of neonatal Foley's?

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Well, here I am on my due date, and this troll child has shown no signs of wanting to go anywhere. :bang: I guess I'm scheduling an induction for next week.

A Game of Chess fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 4, 2019

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

A Game of Chess posted:

Well, here I am on my due date, and this troll child has shown no signs of wanting to go anywhere. :bang: I guess I'm scheduling an induction for next week.

That was me, no signs of anything and only the faintest Braxton hicks contractions I barely noticed with no discernable increase in frequency. I was grumpily googling ways to induce labour literally the day after my due date - waters broke an hour later*. I promise the discomfort really is nearly over.

*still needed an induction for poor progress though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Buy movie tickets for Friday night.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

peanut posted:

Hah! I would, but then I’d be afraid my husband would actually want to go if she doesn’t make an appearance, and I’ve been at the “needs to pee every five minutes” stage for a while.

I know it will be over soon but my god is it hard to wait. There was some minimal dilation and effacement last week but nothing since. Just intermittent Braxton Hicks and the usual aches and pains of the last 20 weeks. I was actually worrying I just wouldn’t notice early labor because I’m so used to stomach discomfort (Crohn’s disease, it’s great for pain tolerance) but I guess we’ll see.

I’m still at work too so I just basically closed my door and am trying to avoid well-meaning middle aged coworkers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

peanut posted:

This is what we did, and somehow labor started an hour after infinity war *ended*. Perfection.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

A Game of Chess posted:

I’m still at work too so I just basically closed my door and am trying to avoid well-meaning middle aged coworkers.

Condolences, I did this too and it was really weird having work mostly wrapped up but still having to go in each day and facing all the coworkers on baby watch. The days feel very long and uncomfortable.

Your body will get there and/or medicine will do its thing, all you can do is hang in there. Maybe try to enjoy a casual meal out?

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I was just lucky enough to get approved to work from home, so at least I can avoid the questioning!

And I’m trying everything. Walking, pineapple, spicy food, dates ...

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

A Game of Chess posted:

The questions/comments from well-meaning middle-aged coworkers has definitely been the worst part of working while pregnant for me. I have a middle-aged male coworker who regularly asks me if I'm having any crazy cravings yet, and then fondly reminisces about his wife's pregnancies. I guess it's a bit fetishizing, is probably why it bothers me more than female coworkers commenting that I look ready to pop and asking about my due date. Though I am also ready to scream at the next one who goes, "Oh my GOSH, that must feel like an eternity!" NO ACTUALLY I HAVEN'T BEEN THINKING ABOUT IT AT ALL THANKS FOR ASKING.

I'm very ready to have this baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Oh man, that would make me really uncomfortable too. The one I'm most uncomfortable with at my office is the mail guy I talk hockey with, he just uses this tone I think he thinks sounds sympathetic, but really sounds like you'd use to talk to a child whenever he asks me questions.

I'm scheduled for an induction starting Monday night, so at least I have an end in sight. I'm still kind of hoping she decides to come on her own, but I shouldn't be surprised. My husband's family are chronically late for everything.