Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

i finally sat down and read the deep adaptation paper instead of just reading about it and can i just say

lol

lmao
My favourite bit of that paper is the author is now gone full ram dass hippie living in Bali learning to just enjoy the weather. I mean, good on him its awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

My E/N thread has sort of run its course, unfortunately.

Besides, I panic here because any other place where I ask for advice is going to be filled with people goimg “oh we’ll figure it out” “you have nothing to worry about”, etc. i want proper answers to the problem of “how does someone with no friends, a controlling family and whose only reason to live barely comes from technology, will deal with the end of loving everything”?

actually your posts in this thread are a good reminder that maybe staring into the abyss that is climate change melts your brain and sometimes you should compartmentalize those fears rather than let them control your life

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
If you do not lmao at the fate of the world, then the world shall lmao at you.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shipon posted:

actually your posts in this thread are a good reminder that maybe staring into the abyss that is climate change melts your brain and sometimes you should compartmentalize those fears rather than let them control your life

A person can be more than one thing.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

Argues that near-term collapse is inevitable, starts in ~10 years (incl. developed world).

The paper in PDF and in audio.

Well, now I have a better grasp of why reading these climate threads has made me less depressed about the US descending into fascism.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Bass Concert Hall posted:

Well, now I have a better grasp of why reading these climate threads has made me less depressed about the US descending into fascism.

might want to rethink that chief:

quote:

Remember this, because when the moment of runaway climate change comes for you, where you live, it will not come in the form of a few wandering hairy bikers. It will come with the tanks on the streets and the military or the fascists taking power.

Those generals will talk in deep green language. They will speak of degrowth, and the boundaries of planetary ecology. They will tell us we have consumed too much, and been too greedy, and now for the sake of Mother Earth, we must tighten our belts.

Then we will tighten our belts, and we will suffer, and they will build a new kind of gross green inequality. And in a world of ecological freefall, it will take cruelty on an unprecedented scale to keep their inequality in place.

the road to collapse is paved with lovely fascism

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mayor Dave posted:

might want to rethink that chief:

the road to collapse is paved with lovely fascism
Well, that's my point though. If the new fascism is a symptom of an at-this-point-realistically-inevitable climate change collapse, then there's nothing that can be done about that either. So, lmao.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Come on, be realistic. There won't be any eco-fascists taking over to try to stop this, it will continue to be corporate-fascists trying to make the numbers go up right until the end.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
A fun race between Nazis, Nazis but with an ecological slant, business as usual but worse, straight ecofascists and full communism now but too late anyway.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Come on, be realistic. There won't be any eco-fascists taking over to try to stop this, it will continue to be corporate-fascists trying to make the numbers go up right until the end.

Agreed.

In a worst-case scenario, we'd be lucky to have eco-fascists.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
at least we're all living in interesting times

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

together the progressives will rise up and say "Someone Else Should Do Something About This"

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

together the progressives will rise up and say "Someone Else Should Do Something About This"

Gitro
May 29, 2013
That's been the past however many decades of climate policy, cmon now.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/china-new-airports/index.html

quote:

Even as China is on course to overtake the United States as the world's biggest air travel market within the next three years, the country's hunger for aviation seems set to continue growing exponentially.
To sate that hunger, the government has embarked on an airport building program on a scale rarely witnessed before anywhere. Billions upon billions of dollars are being poured into runways and terminals that will plug the entire country directly into the global transport network.
China currently has around 235 airports, but with many lacking the capacity to sustain the coming increase in passenger numbers and flights, government officials estimate around 450 airports will be needed across the country by 2035.
That's the same year aviation analysts predict China will be handling a quarter of all the world's air passengers.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i've been saying the solution all along, flee to NZ, we don't even have tanks

e: not flee, tactical retreat and regroup

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

CODChimera posted:

i've been saying the solution all along, flee to NZ, we don't even have tanks

e: not flee, tactical retreat and regroup

no, idiot, don't remind them that nz exists. it's only strategic strength and value lies in the fact that no one remembers or cares about nz

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

we might need goon reinforcements though

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
the silicon billionaires are going to buy out nz and turn it into their fortified retreat op

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

the silicon billionaires are going to buy out nz and turn it into their fortified retreat op

give me 20 Good Men and it'll be our fortified retreat

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CODChimera posted:

everything happening faster than expected or being worse than expected is starting to get slightly worrying

it's caused more climate deniers come out of the woodwork lmao

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

What makes any of you think you will survive? Why does everyone think they will be Immortan Joe and not one of the many skulls littered around?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

What makes any of you think you will survive? Why does everyone think they will be Immortan Joe and not one of the many skulls littered around?

who cares if we survive

Truga posted:

it's caused more climate deniers come out of the woodwork lmao

any sort of climate change article posted on the local news sites here is full of denial comments. It's actually insane

Gitro
May 29, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

no one survives long term anyway, you can give up or try to achieve anything at all even though it probably won't be much but live or die (probs die) you can lmao all the way down

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I'm still gonna lol very hard when the random weather generator that climate change has developed causes the world's first category 7 hurricane to form and then immediately blow into an exciting new direction to a place that's never had such a thing before and scour New Zealand from the map and all those rich bunkers and Hobbit holes with it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

death before life without the internet so ill be a skull i guess

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm still gonna lol very hard when the random weather generator that climate change has developed causes the world's first category 7 hurricane to form and then immediately blow into an exciting new direction to a place that's never had such a thing before and scour New Zealand from the map and all those rich bunkers and Hobbit holes with it.

Killed in a world first category 7 hurricane that wipes out a country? I wish I were that lucky

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames

AceOfFlames posted:

Has anyone said this? Why do you need to make every single loving page in this thread about you? Glory to the birds that will feast on your annoying European rear end.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CODChimera posted:

who cares if we survive

Gitro posted:

no one survives long term anyway, you can give up or try to achieve anything at all even though it probably won't be much but live or die (probs die) you can lmao all the way down

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is this thread?
This is the OFFICIAL MEGATHREAD for forums user AceOfFlames.

Why a Megathread? Why now? Why C-SPAM?

StabbinHobo posted:

ace could you please start the aceofflames megathread where you post all about yourself every few hours so we can all be sure to keep up in one easy to find place that is not here

AceOfFlames posted:

My E/N thread has sort of run its course, unfortunately.
AceOfFlames must have a megathread to provide for his posting welfare. It's in the Constitution, look it up.

Megathread FAQ

AceOfFlames posted:

How on Earth do people who know all these things still have the strength to keep living?

I see no reason to fight a losing battle: who the hell cares if one decimal of a degree is better than nothing, do you honestly think the planet cares about you? What is the point of nature's beauty if there is nothing left to understand beauty? What makes an animal, little more than a machine that exists only to eat, gently caress and kill superior to man?

Do you honestly think a revolution will be successful when the other side has all the power and the guns?

AceOfFlames posted:

Today I learned that learned that my pension will only pay out in 40 years. I'm not going to get that money, am I

AceOfFlames posted:

But WHY? I just don't understand. Why does life have value and we DON'T? Animals kill without remorse, without reason. All life forms drive others to extinction, we merely did that to more of them. But any other lifeform could do that given the circumstances. Why do we suck so bad in your eyes?

AceOfFlames posted:

What friends? What if you have no one? And how do you know your “friends” wont betray you?

AceOfFlames posted:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Addamere posted:

What is this thread?
This is the OFFICIAL MEGATHREAD for forums user AceOfFlames.

:eyepop: :perfect: :eyepop:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm not

I'm also not worried about being dead that much; I was dead for 14 billion years before birth frankly that hasn't done a drat thing to me

Dying is gonna suck though

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

CODChimera posted:

Killed in a world first category 7 hurricane that wipes out a country? I wish I were that lucky

Yeah I'm gonna die from something incredibly stupid. Like an overweight bird shits a rock from 4000 ft up and it hits me in the head. The great tragedy is that no one would know how funny it was.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah, what actually happens is corporate fascists run the show, and try to sell regressive taxation as tightening the belt.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

My favourite bit of that paper is the author is now gone full ram dass hippie living in Bali learning to just enjoy the weather. I mean, good on him its awesome.

loving finally the Buddha is gonna blow our lovely Samsara sand mandala away

no more trips back to earth realm lol

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I've been stealing batteries from Walmart for YEARS

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

AceOfFlames posted:

how have you missed all the posts where people are hoping to be a skull in a good position on the skull pile, or daring to dream that they may become a skull mounted on a war rig?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'm huge with a huge head

Gonna end up a bookend

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
trolling future alien phrenologists with my abnormally large son head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof