Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

golden bubble posted:

Here's another fun attempt by someone to make ancient bread.

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/...r%3D783%23pti21
I'd love to hear how he's isolating and culturing yeast from a single desiccated sample without it getting swamped by whatever yeasts he happens to have naturally in the environment. None of his photos involve isolating a strain e.g. via a streak plate, and all of them seem to involve fermentation in the open air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:jerkbag:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SubG posted:

I'd love to hear how he's isolating and culturing yeast from a single desiccated sample without it getting swamped by whatever yeasts he happens to have naturally in the environment. None of his photos involve isolating a strain e.g. via a streak plate, and all of them seem to involve fermentation in the open air.

I thought the same thing on reading the tweet. Not to mention the yeasts in his flour, which is definitely not ancient.

People don't realize that the vast majority of the yeast in a sourdough starter is on the flour, not in the air. Yeast likes to live on stuff, not just float around.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I thought the same thing on reading the tweet. Not to mention the yeasts in his flour, which is definitely not ancient.

People don't realize that the vast majority of the yeast in a sourdough starter is on the flour, not in the air. Yeast likes to live on stuff, not just float around.
Yeah, it's a fairly well-explored problem in e.g. cheesemaking and brewing. And the information and gear for dealing with it is accessible to the home hobbyist. Usually that's people trying to reproduce the microbiology of cheese or beer brewed in a specific geographic location, but a few years back there was a beer that did the Jurassic Park thing and used a 40-odd million year old yeast extracted from amber, and that produced peer-reviewed science. So that's pretty well explored too.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This confuses me. Where else would the yeast be, if not inside and throughout the dough? Do people think the yeast's farts is the yeast itself?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PubicMice posted:

This confuses me. Where else would the yeast be, if not inside and throughout the dough? Do people think the yeast's farts is the yeast itself?
I think they meant the yeast arrived on the flour, rather than picking it up from the environment.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

PubicMice posted:

the common knowledge (which is wrong) is that yeast is just floating around and, for example, starting a sourdough culture is the result of your local airborne yeast inoculating your flour slurry

the actual thing that happens is that flour ships with yeast on it, which inoculates the flour slurry. the amount of yeast in the air is miniscule in comparison.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

the common knowledge (which is wrong) is that yeast is just floating around and, for example, starting a sourdough culture is the result of your local airborne yeast inoculating your flour slurry

the actual thing that happens is that flour ships with yeast on it, which inoculates the flour slurry. the amount of yeast in the air is miniscule in comparison.
Yeah, although pretty much every surface in most kitchens is well populated with random poo poo that's constantly getting churned around by kitchen activities.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeast is just kind of everywhere. But don't think about it too much if you're a germophobe.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Happy Yeaster!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

RoboRodent posted:

Yeast is just kind of everywhere. But don't think about it too much if you're a germophobe.

I used to have an old cookbook that focused completely on using wild yeasts from various sources to make starters for bread. The one I remember most clearly used the leaves from peach or plum trees, and it did make a pretty good bread. IIRC, the book pretty much said that trying to collect yeast from the air was an exercise in futility.

Next time I'm in my storage unit, I'll check to see if I still have that book.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

This isn't really cooking, but it looks like Paleo is more interesting than I thought.

Based upon ancient human poo poo from the 5th century in America, researchers believe one person ate an entire rattlesnake, raw. While native Americans in that area were known to eat snakes, normally they would remove the fangs and head and cook the snake first. This piece of poo poo contains the skull and fangs of the snake, but does not show any signs of being cooked. They also believe that the individual ate a small rodent, evidently eaten whole, with no indication of preparation or cooking, which is pretty normal for the period. The poo poo contained signs of more typical food like agave, edible lilies, dasylirion shrubs, and prickly pear

You can find the formal paper here

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Having a normal one in ancient times eating an entire snake whole.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcyQ-Db7RU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I've had some catastrophic bowel movements in my time but making GBS threads out an entire snake skeleton is some next level stuff. probably did it as a dare. caveman johnny knoxville.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

uber_stoat posted:

I've had some catastrophic bowel movements in my time but making GBS threads out an entire snake skeleton is some next level stuff. probably did it as a dare. caveman johnny knoxville.

You got to poo poo it out just right so it coils in a strike pose.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Click this link for all recipe threads with the "Authentic" tag on the Civil War Talk forum. It's their tag for recreating recipes right out of period cookbooks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm getting back in the swing of things by making a Townsends recipe! Today it'll be steaks fried in ale from Hannah Glass's The Art of Cookery Made Plain And Easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1EVhCTIJME

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I used Killian's Irish Red for my "not bitter ale". Let me tell you, it's very disconcerting when it foams up on a hot pan.

Despite this, the final product was a surprising success! I'd like to try it again using thinner steaks on a lower heat, as modern technology cooks way faster than a cast iron pan over a fire and even using thicker steaks than Townsends used risks burning the butter or the steak if you try to do the other prep work while the steaks cook. I'd also like to see how using a stronger beer would work, like a porter.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I used Killian's Irish Red for my "not bitter ale". Let me tell you, it's very disconcerting when it foams up on a hot pan.

Despite this, the final product was a surprising success! I'd like to try it again using thinner steaks on a lower heat, as modern technology cooks way faster than a cast iron pan over a fire and even using thicker steaks than Townsends used risks burning the butter or the steak if you try to do the other prep work while the steaks cook. I'd also like to see how using a stronger beer would work, like a porter.

Thanks for that it inspired me when I was out to get most of the ingredients including the crucial nutmeg. Came back and didn't have parsley or thyme so changed it oregano and Rosemary , shockingly good and really simple.

I used Landlord Timothy Taylors
Also not the prettiest looking meal.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 21, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just got started making a clarified milk punch! I’m going as old school as possible and using Batavia arrack, tea, and ruby port.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

chitoryu12 posted:

Just got started making a clarified milk punch! I’m going as old school as possible and using Batavia arrack, tea, and ruby port.

Nice. Love a milk punch and never have I heard of it using those ingredients!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nice. Love a milk punch and never have I heard of it using those ingredients!

The key word is “clarified.” Milk punch is a dairy forward drink. Clarified is something that curdles the milk to pull out other impurities from the drink that you strain out.

EDIT:

quote:

There are two kinds of milk punch. The first, typically called brandy milk punch or bourbon milk punch, is popular in New Orleans, is citrus-free, and includes milk. The second type, often called English milk punch or clarified milk punch, is what we’ll focus on here. From this point on, we’ll refer to it simply as milk punch.

The base recipe for milk punch includes citrus juice or another acidic ingredient. Milk (usually hot milk) is added to the mixed cocktail, curdling the milk, and then the punch is strained to remove the curds. The process removes most of the color and cloudiness from the drink, clarifying it, and it preserves the cocktail from spoilage for months or even years if kept cool.
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/science/844-articles/story/the-key-to-crystal-clear-cocktails-milk-really

ulmont fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 1, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Clarified buttered rum

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVQLbomrNBM

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Found an interesting recipe in a book I read in eighth grade: 'diet bread', made as follows: 1 pound sugar, 9 eggs, beat for an hour, add to 14 ounces of flour, teaspoon rosewater, one teaspoon cinnamon or coriander, bake quick.

Supposedly from an American cookbook dating to 1796.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the bread is called diet bread in reference to political diets, legislative sessions where high ranking people get together.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
One pound of sugar? That can't be right.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

packetmantis posted:

One pound of sugar? That can't be right.

Sounds about right from the American bread I've tasted

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At that time, Americans ate six pounds of sugar per capita per annum.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's why I think it's a reference to political Diets, maybe even a sarcastic reference.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It’s diet bread because you can eat nothing but that and get all the calories you'll ever need.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

9 eggs is pretty close to a pound (depends on the size of the eggs), maybe a little over, and that's almost a pound of flour, so it's probably vaguely similar to a poundcake, though maybe with some texture differences from beating nine eggs and sugar for an hour.

How it got to be called "diet bread", who knows...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Astrofig posted:

Found an interesting recipe in a book I read in eighth grade: 'diet bread', made as follows: 1 pound sugar, 9 eggs, beat for an hour, add to 14 ounces of flour, teaspoon rosewater, one teaspoon cinnamon or coriander, bake quick.

Supposedly from an American cookbook dating to 1796.
Yeah, the recipe is from Amelia Simmons' American Cookery from 1796, the earliest known American cookbook:

It's unlikely that the proportions are unintentional or a mistake. The first edition included extraneous material apparently inserted by the publisher without Ms. Simmons' prior knowledge, as well as several errors. This lead to Simmons issuing an errata page:

Errata, American Cookery posted:

The author of the American Cookery, not having an education sufficient to prepare the work for the press, the person that was employed by her, and entrusted with the receipts, to prepare them for publication, (with a design to impose on her, and injure the sale of the book) did omit several articles very essential in some of the receipts, and placed others in their stead, which were highly injurious to them, without her consent—-which was unknown to her, till after publication; but she has removed them as far as possible, by the following

ERRATA

Page 25. Rice pudding, No. 2; for one pound butter, read half pound—for 14 eggs read 8. No. 5; after half pint rice, add 6 ounces sugar.

Page 26. A nice Indian pudding, No. 3; boil only 6 hours.—A flour pudding; read 9 spoons of flour, put in scalding milk; bake an hour and half.—A boiled flour pudding; 9 spoons of flour, boil an hour and half.

Page 27. A cream almond pudding; for 8 yolks and 3 whites, read 8 eggs; for 1 spoon flour, read 8—boil an hour and half.

Potato pudding, No. 1, No. 2. add a pint flour to each.

Page 29. Puff pastes for tarts, No, 3; for 12 eggs read 6.

Page 33. Plain cake; for 1 quart of emptins, read 1 pint.

Page 35. Another plain cake, No. 5; for 9 pounds of flour, read 18 pounds.

In all Puddings, where cream is mentioned, milk may be used.

In pastes, the white of eggs only are to be used.

The recipe appears in the section headed CAKES (it's the last recipe in the section), and there are no recipes for anything like a straight dough bread, although several recipes call for bread in various forms.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hailthefish posted:

How it got to be called "diet bread", who knows...

'Diet' in the specific sense of 'trying to lose weight' is a pretty recent phrasing; even as recently as like the 1950s women would talk about 'reducing' instead. It might be intended for someone recovering from illness?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a kingly diet cake.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

SubG posted:

Yeah, the recipe is from Amelia Simmons' American Cookery from 1796, the earliest known American cookbook:

I looked this up on Project Gutenberg and read through a lot of it. She lost me at:

quote:

Garlicks, tho' used by the French, are better adapted to the uses of medicine than cookery.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

For whatever it's worth, diet bread is also mentioned in The American Frugal Housewife by Lydia Maria Child from 1832. She treats it as synonymous with sponge cake and gives a recipe similar to Simmons':

The American Frugal Housewife posted:

SPONGE CAKE

The nicest way to make sponge cake, or diet-bread, is the weight of six eggs in sugar, the weight of four eggs in flour, a little rose-water. The whites and yolks should be beaten thoroughly and separately. The eggs and sugar should be well beaten together; but after the flour is sprinkled, it should not be stirred a moment longer than is necessary to mix it well; it should be poured into the pan, and got into the oven with all possible expedition. Twenty minutes is about long enough to bake. Not to be put in till some other articles have taken off the first few minutes of furious heat.

Predating the Simmons book, Benjamin Franklin includes diet bread in a list of what to take with you on a transatlantic voyage. The list was originally compiled for a 1784 letter Franklin wrote to Julien-David LeRoy, which was the basis for a 1786 paper called Maritime Observations:

Benjamin Franklin posted:

It is not always in your power to make a choice in your captain, though much of your comfort in the passage may depend on his personal character, as you must for so long a time be confined to his company, and under his direction; if he be a sensible, sociable, good-natured, obliging man, you will be so much the happier. Such there are; but, if he happens to be otherwise, and is only skilful, careful, watchful, and active in the conduct of his ship, excuse the rest, for these are the essentials.

Whatever right you may have by agreement in the mass of stores laid in by him for the passengers, it is good to have some particular things in your own possession, so as to be always at your own command.

1. Good water, that of the ship being often bad. You can be sure of having it good only by bottling it from a clear spring or well, and in clean bottles.
2. Good tea.
3. Coffee ground.
4. Chocolate.
5. Wine of the sort you particularly like, and cider.
6. Raisins.
7. Almonds.
8. Sugar.
9. Capillaire.
10. Lemons.
11. Jamaica spirits.
12. Eggs, greas'd.
13. Diet bread.
14. Portable soup.
15. Rusks.

I can't find any contemporaneous source which offers an etymology of the name, but Franklin's discussion of victualing suggest that he's recommending foods which will keep well on a long voyage, require minimal preparation, and upon which one may subsist. This offers some support for the reading that diet bread is named for being filling (i.e. it is a meal in and of itself), but really who the gently caress knows.

For anyone unfamiliar with some of the other items on his list, capillaire is a floral syrup (often believed to have medicinal as well as culinary uses), Jamaica spirits is rum (specifically Jamaican rum, which was believed to be more potent than others), and portable soup is a sort of ancestor to bouillon cubes/Bovril/whatever and was a common shipboard food during the age of sail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I found this blog which so far is excellent by googling capillaire, which I'd never heard of before http://www.theoldfoodie.com/