Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

wait in line to see a doctor!

This argument is always such a cop out too, because we sure as hell have to wait in line to see a doctor in the US too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

This argument is always such a cop out too, because we sure as hell have to wait in line to see a doctor in the US too.

last time I tried to schedule a physical I had to wait 3 months to get in, and a week before the appointment they called and told me my doctor doesn't work there anymore and bumped my appointment back another 4 months. then two months later called and did it again by 2 months. and then when I finally got in they made me do a shitload of tests because I was a little anemic, and like $3000 later (after insurance of course) they basically shrugged and I was told to take over the counter iron pills

the system works

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah but like they have to wait in a three hour line, at the hospital!!!

My favorite case of this was when I was talking to my uncle shortly after the obamacare website had imploded and told him how in Britain instead of hiring a million subcontractors to build different incompatible components of a system they have a team employed by the government that makes the software thing they need and then contractors just run it, so it at least starts off coordinated and functional, and almost reflexively he came back with "yeah but our medical system is still way better than theirs, we don't have to wait in lines!!"

...okay?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

My favorite case of this was when I was talking to my uncle shortly after the obamacare website had imploded and told him how in Britain instead of hiring a million subcontractors to build different incompatible components of a system they have a team employed by the government that makes the software thing they need and then contractors just run it, so it at least starts off coordinated and functional, and almost reflexively he came back with "yeah but our medical system is still way better than theirs, we don't have to wait in lines!!"

...okay?

the obvious follow up of course is “wait how have you never waited in line?”

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
to contribute an actual image:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

That was my cue to change the subject because arguing with him goes nowhere and just leaves you annoyed and disappointed that he's somehow related to you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

should ask for change from a penny

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hobbesmaster posted:

The goal posts will always keep moving :ssh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Any time I see "charge up," it just makes me think of J/O crystals.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Actually I’m curious how do yearly increases in mortgage payments (yes I understand there is such a thing as “fixed rate”) compare vs rent increases? I honestly get the feeling that banks are less parasitic than landlords in that regard.

Going by my experience with a fixed rate 30 yr loan...3 years in I'm still paying roughly the same monthly mortgage payment, which also covers homeowners insurance and property taxes. Rent goes up 5-30% (LOL) each year. As long as my home's value climbs reasonably slowly in value and taxes aren't jacked up (unlikely in today's conservative political climate) and my insurance risk pool stays the same, my payment might only increase by a percent each year. If my escrow earns the mortgage company enough return, it might even drop slightly in some years.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Iron Crowned posted:

Any time I see "charge up," it just makes me think of J/O crystals.

JO crystals are the energy storing mechanism of the 21st century, we just need to find a way to store solar energy using robot hands.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

would legit set up a bitcoin mining rig in the basement

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I mine on company time.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

SplitSoul posted:

Ah, those guys are buying up all the properties in Copenhagen as well and jacking up the rent.

We have similar in Dublin since our neoliberal government gave real estate investment trusts tax exemption on profits.

They’re buying up the bulk of any new development and renting them out for few hundred above market rate constantly pushing up the market rate.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Marenghi posted:

We have similar in Dublin since our neoliberal government gave real estate investment trusts tax exemption on profits.

They’re buying up the bulk of any new development and renting them out for few hundred above market rate constantly pushing up the market rate.

lol looks like James Connolly was right

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Moridin920 posted:

lol looks like James Connolly was right

I was unaware this was a controversial stance

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

A co-worker told me he didn't want a bureaucrat deciding what kind of care he got. He was honestly surprised when I pointed out that that's the entire business model of the insurance industry.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

A co-worker told me he didn't want a bureaucrat deciding what kind of care he got. He was honestly surprised when I pointed out that that's the entire business model of the insurance industry.

lmfao

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

government bureaucrats run death panels like THIS
corporate bureaucrats run death panels like THAT

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

government bureaucrats run death panels like THIS
corporate bureaucrats run death panels like THAT

Government runs death panels.
Corporations run life panels.

:ancap:

Man, trying to unwrap the disconnect between corporate good government bad will drive me to madness...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Warmachine posted:

Government runs death panels.
Corporations run life panels.

:ancap:

Man, trying to unwrap the disconnect between corporate good government bad will drive me to madness...

I give a company money. Government takes my money, so regardless of the outcome, people who never grasped the preschool slogan "sharing is caring" see Walmart good, food stamps bad

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

walmart is good

(we can seize their infrastructure, guns and goods in the revolution)

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
My dad, a lifelong republican who hated Obamacare, once proposed a healthcare system where everyone is guaranteed healthcare and you pay what you can based on your income. Poor people and the disabled wouldn't pay anything while rich people would subsidize them. I even got him to agree with a paraphrase of "from each according to their ability, to each according to their need".

The second I pointed out that he just proposed a socialized health system he turned against his own idea

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

My dad, a lifelong republican who hated Obamacare, once proposed a healthcare system where everyone is guaranteed healthcare and you pay what you can based on your income. Poor people and the disabled wouldn't pay anything while rich people would subsidize them. I even got him to agree with a paraphrase of "from each according to their ability, to each according to their need".

The second I pointed out that he just proposed a socialized health system he turned against his own idea

It needs a tough macho guy name like "pay what you owe" or "American Health for our troops and citizens plan" or chud type guys are too afraid to back it because people might think they're gay.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Come get your FREEDOM CARE at the AMERICAN HEALTH CENTER, patriot

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

STAND YOUR GROUND and Get your child on the FAMILY AND HOME DEFENSE IMMUNIZATION SCHEDULE.

Its like giving YOUR CHILD an INTERNAL GUN to fight off BODILY INVADERS

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ask him to articulate what he didn't like about his own idea

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I find there's a strain of libertarianism that runs really deep these days. It's not just over healthcare poo poo, but yeah people definitely trust private insurance companies to administer their healthcare better than the government for some reason.

It's come up recently in NZ around the idea of an independent, democratic social media regulator. People started wailing about free speech as soon as the idea was raised, but then when it was pointed out to them that Facebook, Twitter et al already make totally opaque decisions around what speech is allowed on their platforms, and those same people suddenly clam up and start talking about how those companies are responsible and that's just fine.

Like where the gently caress did we go wrong to the point that people trust private multinational corporations more than democratic institutions?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Idk but probably somewhere around when we let the multinationals control 95% of media/information people consume.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

T-man posted:

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I mine on company time.

Using power to mine bitcoin because you don't pay for it yourself certainly belongs in this thread.

RabbitWizard has issued a correction as of 21:29 on May 28, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Idk but probably somewhere around when we let the multinationals control 95% of media/information people consume.

Or maybe the last 400 years or so of lobbying and propaganda portraying private industry as efficient and the government as bloated and corrupt

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bike tory posted:

Like where the gently caress did we go wrong to the point that people trust private multinational corporations more than democratic institutions?

Decades of one-sided Information Warfare.

Propaganda works.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

bike tory posted:

I find there's a strain of libertarianism that runs really deep these days. It's not just over healthcare poo poo, but yeah people definitely trust private insurance companies to administer their healthcare better than the government for some reason.

It's come up recently in NZ around the idea of an independent, democratic social media regulator. People started wailing about free speech as soon as the idea was raised, but then when it was pointed out to them that Facebook, Twitter et al already make totally opaque decisions around what speech is allowed on their platforms, and those same people suddenly clam up and start talking about how those companies are responsible and that's just fine.

I don't want my government to directly control what people are allowed to put out on social media, that's a terrible idea.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

...okay?

Remind him that appointments are really just standing in line for days or weeks.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lambert posted:

I don't want my government to directly control what people are allowed to put out on social media, that's a terrible idea.

The idea floated was for the government to set up an independent social media regulator who would set standards around the kind of content on social media. The government wouldn't control it other than by extending or limiting its power through legislation.

We already have that for news media, so the idea was to create something similar for social media basically aimed at hateful or nazi content.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowpocalypse posted:

CANNOTS shouldn't have an apostrophe you idiot

but also lmao that's bad... where is this from? :cripes:

Someone on tumblr spotted it at their local immigrant owned taco shop, which makes it extra depressing :(

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

This is such a low self esteem flex. Our country is powerful and perfect and brave but please pretty please don't put on a burka or everything we have built here will crumble in to dust and we will all die :sweatdrop:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

This is such a low self esteem flex. Our country is powerful and perfect and brave but please pretty please don't put on a burka or everything we have built here will crumble in to dust and we will all die :sweatdrop:

The counterpoint of :umberto:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The counterpoint of :umberto:?

it seems to jive with the eco in here pretty well. simultaneously the best, strongest, sexiest country ever and also vulnerable to death by burqa. fascism is a coward’s ideology after all