Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
drat, it's already haunted too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can't unsee Jynx's face in the floor tiles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zereth posted:

this one isn't even bad stairs, it's a bad ladder

Yeah. That’s worse than a ladder in every way.

With the space they have to work with, I think they could fit alternating tread stairs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Should have been a tiny spiral staircase, as seen in genuine medieval architecture.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
They already have the ghost

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Cows trapped in a house for a month. https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/bv24co/this_big_guy_and_three_of_his_friends_got_into/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

quote:

1.house is on my aunt's property. We currently live in Washington and were planning to move over at the end of the year . We assumed she was going down every now and again to check on house, guess she wasn't. Cattle guy has a lot of acreage and looked for his cows, even filed a report for stolen cattle. He looked in our shed but not in the house because he thought someone was living there.

2. There was a bad storm in the town I think around late April and we think the cows were looking for coverage. They either got in by nudging a lever door or the wind might have blown the door open. We're not sure.

3. Insurance has been contacted but I'm not sure about outcome because my stepdad is trying to deal with it directly with cattle guy and trying to work something out, and no, we don't have Farmers insurance.

4. Cattle man has already contacted contractors to come out and appraise house, we have all his info but unfortunately we are back in Washington at this time, so it's going to be a process.

5.I'm going to become a vegetarian to please the cow gods so that this will never happen again

Apparently cows can eat drywall? Imagine trying to clean this up. They're gonna have to tear it down to the studs and sanitize/seal everything like they did with those houses in New Orleans after Katrina.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean you can eat drywall too if you’re starving and have no other options. It’s not going to work out that great.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Zereth posted:

Hey look what I found

http://www.home-designing.com/staircase-design-ideas-inspiration-photos-tips

51 staircase pictures and about 45 of them are terrible ideas

The picture on the wall has the same expression I had when watching an elderly lady absent-mindedly push her full shopping cart onto an escalator one time.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Just moved house and the buyer insisted on having an electrical cert that we pay for, this actually came out better than expected but even so the panel needed replacing with a new "fire resistant" unit because codes have changed, not my problem anymore though suckas.....

.... And of course when I look at the one in the new place I see a mix of modern switched fuses and weird old switched but unlabelled circuits on a separate board so now I'm the idiot who needs to get a cert and probably fork out for a whole new unit :rip:

Zereth posted:

Hey look what I found

What in the gently caress lmao.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zereth posted:

Hey look what I found

Some of those are just lethal.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I bet every rear end in a top hat that designs this poo poo has a completely functional staircase in their own home.

Your weirdo spine case looks great, now let's see you get a dresser up there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Some of those are just lethal.

This staircase is a horror, and the building around it is just bizarre. It looks like it's a pile of concrete blocks in the middle of a field.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This staircase is a horror, and the building around it is just bizarre. It looks like it's a pile of concrete blocks in the middle of a field.

It seriously looks like the set of a Beetlejuice reboot

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"Designed" homes are some horrible poo poo. They're built to photograph and nothing else.

Speaking of, while idly contemplating a transoceanic move, decided to check out the real estate market in Prague, and there's some seriously :stare: worthy "design" poo poo there.

Example:

Christie's IRE posted:

This non-residential unit on the ground and underground floor of a formerly Renaissance house from the 16th century with Baroque modifications, 400 m from Malostranské Square and close to Kampa. Approved usage as a club facility and currently used for short term letting.

Hope you really love living in a non-apartment apartment where the only windows are in the entry hall and the bathroom.

Or, if you'd prefer something higher up,

See those spiral stairs? Yeah that's an indoor balcony. Because... Well, because gently caress you, basically. It counts as extra m^2 so instead of opening up the living room, we'll put a balcony there.

E: I just noticed the support/column arrangement of said balcony and I think we're going a bit non-euclidean there.

There's also some very ah... creative 2-bedroom arrangements.

Cursed stairs AND a "bed" sitting inches away from a big ol' drop. Hope you don't get up too quickly, either. Those beams look about right to become suddenly and painfully friendly with your head.

This particular apartment has 3 rooms. No, I do not know why they decided to do whatever that is.

And finally, the perfect hangover bathroom:

See if you can find the flush buttons for the toilet.

Note: aside from the basement not-apartment (a steal for only 265K to not-live in), these all start above the 500K Euro mark and are listed by Christie's, so it's not like I was trawling the very bottom to find this poo poo.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 31, 2019

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Cows trapped in a house for a month. https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/bv24co/this_big_guy_and_three_of_his_friends_got_into/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Apparently cows can eat drywall? Imagine trying to clean this up. They're gonna have to tear it down to the studs and sanitize/seal everything like they did with those houses in New Orleans after Katrina.

Wondering whether this case is going to be the next Allstate or Farmers commercial.

Something similar happened to the family ranch house (as in house on a cattle ranch) while it was under construction - it was raining and cows broke through the construction fence and took cover in the house, which was slab, roof, studs, and Tyvek at that point. They only stayed overnight and were herded out the next morning. Slab was fine after being hosed off, and there was no other damage, so it just turned into a funny story. Too bad there weren't pics.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This is what you come back to after your farm animals have a communist revolution.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
A home in my area had a whitetail somehow get inside. The story was it saw itself in a sliding door and attacked, smashing the glass and getting blood everywhere before it ran off.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Maybe it's just the lovely resolution but the whole scene looks like a CG render to me.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Did you find more pictures somewhere? I like the concrete. Their website is some of the worst architectural word vomit I've ever read though.

http://www.disguincio800.com/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I was basing my assessment on the single photo, sorry.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Naturally Selected posted:

i'm the mirror inexplicably placed over the toilet instead of over the sink. love to check my hair and make-up while hovering directly over the toilet in which i just dropped a violent deuce

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sloppy posted:

Did you find more pictures somewhere? I like the concrete. Their website is some of the worst architectural word vomit I've ever read though.

http://www.disguincio800.com/
They are Italian and for some reason the Italians are laughably bad at translating stuff into reasonably coherent English. I have some Italian made machines and the manuals are some of the worst engrish:

“”The most innovative solution for a soundless planing”
“This handbook is an integrating part of the machine. The information serves for qualified technicians”
“Safety devices must never be removed or disconnected for no reason whatsoever”
“the operator must take a working position to the machine so that it is out of the dangerous area due to the reject phenomenon “
“If the knives are well adjusted, the finished work pieces are not convex without the step at their rear end”

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I love that a) neither the photographer nor model could wrap their heads around alternating-tread stairs and b) they put poo poo on all the treads, not just the ones they thought were shelves

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

great place for a desk too. when i'm working from home, the thing i want the most is for some ripe feet to get repeatedly shoved into my face

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
That doesn’t look bolted to the floor, either, so you can have fun stranding guests and other people upstairs.

Hope you got good knees, Bob!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

"Designed" homes are some horrible poo poo. They're built to photograph and nothing else.

This is completely untrue. We live in a midcentury modern townhouse that was definitely "designed" and it's a thousand times more practical than the 1900s townhouse we lived in before. The rooms are human-sized, there's storage space everywhere, and tons and tons of light because all the windows are floor-to-ceiling.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mercury Ballistic posted:

A home in my area had a whitetail somehow get inside. The story was it saw itself in a sliding door and attacked, smashing the glass and getting blood everywhere before it ran off.

I've handled a few of those! Sometimes, they don't see the glass (slider or large picture window) and try to jump through the opening. Then they bleed all over the place.

One guy thought it was a home invasion, crept down the stairs with a .30-06 ready to rock but checked fire when he saw Bambi beating itself against the wall.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Speaking of, while idly contemplating a transoceanic move, decided to check out the real estate market in Prague, and there's some seriously :stare: worthy "design" poo poo there.

Example:

Hope you really love living in a non-apartment apartment where the only windows are in the entry hall and the bathroom.

Or, if you'd prefer something higher up,

See those spiral stairs? Yeah that's an indoor balcony. Because... Well, because gently caress you, basically. It counts as extra m^2 so instead of opening up the living room, we'll put a balcony there.

E: I just noticed the support/column arrangement of said balcony and I think we're going a bit non-euclidean there.

There's also some very ah... creative 2-bedroom arrangements.

Cursed stairs AND a "bed" sitting inches away from a big ol' drop. Hope you don't get up too quickly, either. Those beams look about right to become suddenly and painfully friendly with your head.

This particular apartment has 3 rooms. No, I do not know why they decided to do whatever that is.

Note: aside from the basement not-apartment (a steal for only 265K to not-live in), these all start above the 500K Euro mark and are listed by Christie's, so it's not like I was trawling the very bottom to find this poo poo.

The later ones loving rule sorry. I'm married with no kids.

But not at half a million Euro

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

drgitlin posted:

This is completely untrue. We live in a midcentury modern townhouse that was definitely "designed" and it's a thousand times more practical than the 1900s townhouse we lived in before. The rooms are human-sized, there's storage space everywhere, and tons and tons of light because all the windows are floor-to-ceiling.

By designed I think they mean the kind of thing that might look cool in theory but looks/acts terribly or even dangerously in real life

For example:
Silly things like "railings" would destroy the ~aesthetic~ we are looking for here

The one below is a basement storage unit lol

More death stairs

Death stairs and poorly thought out location for a desk

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

By designed I think they mean the kind of thing that might look cool in theory but looks/acts terribly or even dangerously in real life

Except they posted a bunch of totally fine apartments.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Say I'm pretty handy and want to tackle building myself a tiny house. I want to know everything I need to know to not gently caress it up and end up in this thread. Where should I start reading? I tried the local building codes and they read like incomprehensible lawyerese. Does anyone translate these into normal English or anything?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Javid posted:

Say I'm pretty handy and want to tackle building myself a tiny house. I want to know everything I need to know to not gently caress it up and end up in this thread. Where should I start reading? I tried the local building codes and they read like incomprehensible lawyerese. Does anyone translate these into normal English or anything?

Ground floor on new Goldmine...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

"indoor balcony" is called a loft space, mate.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Javid posted:

Depends what exactly the "everything" you want to know is. Some of it you can read a book on (like how to hand a door or fit trim), some of it you need a degree for (like structural engineering), some you need several years of apprenticing and qualifications (like electrics) and some of it you just need to do for a few years to get good at it (like plastering). All of it requires some practice to do a decent job.

Firstly don't trust what I or anyone in here says as gospel but..
1. Figure out what you *want* to build. This is what architects do, though you could do it yourself. You want to figure out dimensions and positions of things. Depending on how your location works this is also where you need to get planning permission.
2. Figure out how you *have* to build to get the things you want from #1. This is where the building regs come in, and you're gonna wanna structural engineer at this point. Some of the fine details will be up to you (like where you want to put a window) but some of the details will be constrained by externalities like physics as indicated by your structural engineer (e.g. how certain walls need to be built or how roofs are supported), or the law as indicated by the building codes and your building inspector (e.g. how far apart the balusters in your railings are, or what type of windows you can put in based on fire safety).
3. Figure out *how* to do the things determined in #2. This is where you need to figure out (either through research or trial) which aspects you feel you can do yourself within spec, which you want to farm out for safety or difficulty or convenience (like digging trenches or laying bricks) and how much you want to farm out due to high skill required (like plastering walls or laying bricks). You can do some book learnin' and youtubin' at this point.

If you gently caress up #1 you wind up with a house that's a pain to live in. If you gently caress up #2 you wind up dead or broke or in prison. If you gently caress up #3 you wind up in this thread or on reddit where some trade is moaning about what a crap job the DIY owner did.

It may be a small house but this is not a small project, it's going to be very complicated and as much mental effort as it is physical.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have several thousand questions but I'm just going to jump onto this point for a start

Jaded Burnout posted:

It may be a small house but this is not a small project, it's going to be very complicated and as much mental effort as it is physical.

It would be my biggest project yet, for sure. I'm hoping to at least napkin math out time and costs before I actually do it.

For starters, I know to dimension things to take advantage of the lengths lumber is sold in for maximum efficiency, and I'm hoping to keep it simple and cubic with no bullshit. Pretty much a 16x24 box with a single slanted roof on it, angled such as the local snow load and etc dictate, probably facing South so the place isn't an oven in the summer. I know I can do poo poo like put all the plumbing along one edge of the building to greatly simplify the work. Certain things I'm fine with just paying somebody to figure out and handle, such as the foundation. And drywall, Jesus Christ gently caress doing drywall. Are there any other efficiency tricks like that I should build into the plan? Am I even chasing the right pennies here?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

peanut posted:

"indoor balcony" is called a loft space, mate.

That was the weirdest complaint of all.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Zereth posted:

Hey look what I found

On the other hand, I think it should now be a legal requirement for all stairs to include a slide (large enough for an adult).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drgitlin posted:

That was the weirdest complaint of all.
I love loft spaces. They're like a tree house inside your house house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I would suggest reading a site like this thoroughly https://thetinylife.com/ryans-tiny-house/tiny-house-building-checklist/ and a couple others like it. See if it’s really something you want to do. The skills required to build small are the same needed to build a regular house. Do you have those skills?