Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I had to take a minute but I think she's arguing that Native Americans should just be called "Americans" and non-Native American Americans should be called "New Americans" or something, to be consistent with her desire that cis women are just called women and trans women are always called trans women.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
She's saying trans women will become the new default "women" and "cis women" will be a term like "Native American" even though "they were here first, they should just be called Americans". It's TERF bullshit about how trans people are a conspiracy against women and the essence of feminity. They twist themselves into pretzels over how "cis" is a slur or a sinister attempt at "erasure".

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's like poaching a domain name. If you start using ciswomen.gender then the trans extremists will swoop in and register women.gender and you'll have to pay a ridiculous fee and deal with godaddy customer support to get it back.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1134784218897272834

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

YaketySass posted:

She's saying trans women will become the new default "women" and "cis women" will be a term like "Native American" even though "they were here first, they should just be called Americans". It's TERF bullshit about how trans people are a conspiracy against women and the essence of feminity. They twist themselves into pretzels over how "cis" is a slur or a sinister attempt at "erasure".

It's cool how reactionary sentimentality has shifted from insisting lesbianist feminism is trying to destroy femininity, to people wanting to be feminine destroying femininity.

Imagine writing a political thriller, and then afterwards saying it's "not political" because you "let the reader draw their own conclusions."

Avellone was a lead writer on New Vegas, which is one of the most overtly political video games ever made.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Jun 1, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

being "nonpolitical" or "nonideological" is seen as a huge virtue, as being "common sense", open to solutions even if they come from the other side blah blah blah all that feelgood poo poo that does NOTHING to change things
so sticking that label onto yourself is a good PR move if you want to present yourself well to the general public, people don't think about these things anyway

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Every story makes a moral argument and moral arguments are political.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
well that quote makes it clear he doesn’t understand that the status quo is not nonpolitical

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's just different places to put the bar for what's political and what's not political. For a lot of people "political" is "in this game the main villain is literally, actually a real politician, we used their name, face, and exact positions"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The ac one isn't really accurate but only because those games are such a mess politically speaking

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the top one

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If anything, having the protagonist of the first game be a devout Muslim (as you'd expect from the time period) instead of a proto-Enlightenment guy would have been more politically provoking, I think.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What's the top one

cods generally I think

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nah there's a specific thing

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/dpatrikarakos/status/1133760924421152769

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Nah there's a specific thing

Modern warfare 2, in which the russkies attack America under the sway of a hypernationalist terrorist acolyte of a Chechen (?) Russian hypernationalist

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

good stuff in the replies here

turn off the TV has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Jun 1, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dude has Yale in the bio as if the worst policies of the past 40 years didn’t all come from ivy leaguers

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

cool dance moves posted:

Modern warfare 2, in which the russkies attack America under the sway of a hypernationalist terrorist acolyte of a Chechen (?) Russian hypernationalist

Yeah, because the CIA participated in the airport massacre and the player character's body is left as objective proof. Weird how the game never really meditates on that.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

dude has Yale in the bio as if the worst policies of the past 40 years didn’t all come from ivy leaguers

its too easy for me to forget that most people see "ivy educated" and think something besides "definitely a bootlicking dumbass"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Given that his writing credits include Fallout 2 and loving Tyranny I'm going to say he just doesn't want to talk about it as an interview question and was too dumb/cowardly to just say "no comment."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

its too easy for me to forget that most people see "ivy educated" and think something besides "definitely a bootlicking dumbass"

I got into this argument with my wife a couple weeks ago and I’m like dude you lucked out

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lol avellonne sucks

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kurtofan posted:

Lol avellonne sucks

It's really sad, actually. Dude did great work but eventually caught the brainworms.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
There is only one game i can think of that could reliably have zero amount of political nuance: Asteroids (1979)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Solar Tornado posted:

There is only one game i can think of that could reliably have zero amount of political nuance: Asteroids (1979)

Pong is about the shifting of the overton window and the pendulum of American politics

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to say there's a difference between games having political themes and a game being a straight-up direct political allegory and that's what the actual contention here is, but honestly that's giving gamers far too much credit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Space imvaders is anti immgiration

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Gex is an anti-consumerist manifesto

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Solar Tornado posted:

even asteroids implies investment in outer space laser bullet technology, so its political when you try to decide if that was public or private sector funding. any attempt to suss out a background immediately makes the game political

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Asteroids is political because it presupposes that it is politically OK to blow up asteroids with the power of man, as opposed to leaving them properly in the sphere of God and his infinite wisdom in where they go.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Asteroids aren't real, it's a lefty ploy for more big government.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

life was a cis-take

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

cool dance moves posted:

I think it’s more referring to General Betrays-a-lot (the American one who murders the player character and the skull-balaclava dude) being behind the whole war.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Avellone is misdefining "political" as "ham-fisted agitprop". This is a characteristically Gen X way to think about politics.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Avellone is misdefining "political" as "ham-fisted agitprop". This is a characteristically Gen X way to think about politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I don't think of my art as political, because none of it holds any elected office at the moment. If Fallout 2 manages to win a Senate seat, then my art will be political.