Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yellow Ant posted:

Do kids even get the painted van joke? I guess they would've seen them in other movies. There's something about the look that does make me think 70s/80s movie suburbs. I didn't realize it was based on something from the writer's life though, so the aesthetic might be on purpose.

It's an eternal thing that all kids shows are set vaguely a generation ago.

There is a reason that bart simpson is a tv show from 1990 but his favorite shows are a tom and jerry parody and a television clown (and why garfield's least favorite show is a television clown). Tv shows for kids are made by adults, and so virtually every tv show has a weird agonistic touch of being set in the years the author grew up in.

Like every kid's show now has everyone watching sailor moon and using number 2 pencils to take scantron tests in school, because that is what a cartoon writer thinks of as what you do as a kid. Just like every show from the 80s was set in the bizzaro 1950s/60s and you just kinda accepted that as a setting because every show was consistent about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pretty much, Steven Universe is one of the few shows that seem to try to line up with modernity, but there's still some wrinkles (like Steven playing what looks to be a SNES analogue - though his musical tastes can be entirely laid on his stuck in the 80s dad).

Even if kids don't entirely get all the jokes - they still understand lot of the underlying humor if it's written right, like Hollywood Steps Out, the humor relies a lot on the really odd caricatures and sight gags, just knowing who they're lampooning is just a bonus.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Robindaybird posted:

Pretty much, Steven Universe is one of the few shows that seem to try to line up with modernity, but there's still some wrinkles (like Steven playing what looks to be a SNES analogue - though his musical tastes can be entirely laid on his stuck in the 80s dad).

Even if kids don't entirely get all the jokes - they still understand lot of the underlying humor if it's written right, like Hollywood Steps Out, the humor relies a lot on the really odd caricatures and sight gags, just knowing who they're lampooning is just a bonus.

Steven has a GameCube

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Steven has a GameCube

I mean to be fair a kid who grew up with a Gamecube is probably in college now. Doesn't really change the point when you're talking about a system that is older now than the NES was when the Gamecube came out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to be fair a kid who grew up with a Gamecube is probably in college now. Doesn't really change the point when you're talking about a system that is older now than the NES was when the Gamecube came out.

You say that like retro gaming isn’t super popular. In this case, anachronism is modernity.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Option 1: Mike and Sully plan to celebrate Boo's birthday but find out she has moved.
Option 2: Mike and Sully plan to celebrate Boo's birthday but find out monster and human timescale is very askewed

Going off the replies on twitter (which are of course always trustworthy) Option 2 was it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Option 3: Mike and Sulley find out that time has no meaning for them because they are immortal idea forms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phylodox posted:

You say that like retro gaming isn’t super popular. In this case, anachronism is modernity.

And he plays it on a CRT TV. (frequently a different one as his TVs get destroyed pretty regularly. Presumably they're easy to replace) It's not like plenty of kids don't grow up playing older consoles long after the new ones come out simply because their parents didn't buy the new ones or they got hand-me-downs. (and Steven's family aren't in a hurry to adjust to modernity)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I appreciated that they had a Sega Master System on Regular Show. The 3DS game's booklet even had the Master System cover art aesthetic.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Is there something to get other than people in the 80s painting unicorns on the sides of vans?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I mean, they weren't called Shaggin' Wagons for nothing, but yeah that joke can still be implied (and that kind of joke is more for adults anyways)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's an eternal thing that all kids shows are set vaguely a generation ago.

There is a reason that bart simpson is a tv show from 1990 but his favorite shows are a tom and jerry parody and a television clown (and why garfield's least favorite show is a television clown). Tv shows for kids are made by adults, and so virtually every tv show has a weird agonistic touch of being set in the years the author grew up in.

Like every kid's show now has everyone watching sailor moon and using number 2 pencils to take scantron tests in school, because that is what a cartoon writer thinks of as what you do as a kid. Just like every show from the 80s was set in the bizzaro 1950s/60s and you just kinda accepted that as a setting because every show was consistent about it.

Twenty years from now kids on tv will be watching some shrill racist idiot play a video game badly while doing a stupid dance

Also Pixar nobody cares about your specific lived experiences

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
when was the last time there wasn't a pet that acted like a dog in a animated movie besides good cat toothless stop making everything dogs people

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

God, Bagheera's animation is the best part of that version of the Jungle Book

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm also partial to Accurately Protagonistic Kaa.

Actually, on the whole, I think it's some of the best animal animation ever done, for capturing movement in a way that's extremely authentic to the animal, even when they're doing something unnatural.

They didn't have a Disney budget but they clearly had very talented animators.

Pick fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 1, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

While I get it was their way to try to convey his mesmerism, I found the way they portray his movements when hypnotizing the langurs kind of jarring, as if they had an off month. Otherwise yes his movements were really smooth.

I do appreciate during that scene while Bagheera and Baloo were similarly entranced - their fur were bristling, and the monkeys had a stupefied look of fright, just hammering in why crossing Kaa is a loving bad idea.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

While I get it was their way to try to convey his mesmerism, I found the way they portray his movements when hypnotizing the langurs kind of jarring, as if they had an off month. Otherwise yes his movements were really smooth.

I do appreciate during that scene while Bagheera and Baloo were similarly entranced - their fur were bristling, and the monkeys had a stupefied look of fright, just hammering in why crossing Kaa is a loving bad idea.

I agree on Baloo and Bagheera's hypnotism, and when Mowgli breaks it you can see it really cleanly. Just communicated very well.

I can see why some people aren't as into some of the "tricks" they did; I would have probably done Kaa's hypnotism a little differently, but as with Tabaqui, I think the sudden animation breaks are really inspired. (Though it works a little better on Tabaqui to indicate his neuroticism.)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And he plays it on a CRT TV. (frequently a different one as his TVs get destroyed pretty regularly. Presumably they're easy to replace) It's not like plenty of kids don't grow up playing older consoles long after the new ones come out simply because their parents didn't buy the new ones or they got hand-me-downs. (and Steven's family aren't in a hurry to adjust to modernity)

aw no, steven's a pro melee player :saddowns:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ungulateman posted:

aw no, steven's a pro melee player :saddowns:

Beat me to it. Ain't loving with him in that game if he goes that far for his gaming edge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Steven Universe in particular I think sidesteps part of the childhood stuff since Steven doesn't go to school. Beach City has a pretty retro feel to it and is apparently based on some real locations, though sleepy coastal tourist towns tend to feel at least 20 years in the past in any case. (I grew up around them too, I should know) Not even getting into the whole alternate history thing.

I recall reading that for The Lion King, Disney brought in a bunch of zoo animals including lions, gazelles, etc for the animators to study.

Desperate Character posted:

when was the last time there wasn't a pet that acted like a dog in a animated movie besides good cat toothless stop making everything dogs people

I'm okay with it when it's obviously taking the piss with a snake or xenomorph dog.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
russian animators can animate cats well because russians all own cats and all russians love cats and think about cats every day

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

They should make a cat act like a dog, and a dog act like a cat for a movie.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Have a p. good video about the troubled production of the unfortunately flawed Little Nemo adaptation, and the impossibly large amount of Important Artists who surrounded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdGQSThkMLk

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

russian animators can animate cats well because russians all own cats and all russians love cats and think about cats every day
see also, chickens and horses

e: and bears

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Have a p. good video about the troubled production of the unfortunately flawed Little Nemo adaptation, and the impossibly large amount of Important Artists who surrounded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdGQSThkMLk

I remember seeing that movie at least three times as a kid and recall literally nothing about it except a gigantic shadow manta ray gets bisected at one point in it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember seeing that movie at least three times as a kid and recall literally nothing about it except a gigantic shadow manta ray gets bisected at one point in it
SHAZAMA PAJAMA JAZAMA SHAZAMA PAJAMA!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRs4Y3Kzdt0&t=5009s

Always thought Little Nemo was a beautifully animated thing, even if the story was a little flat.
Gave us an amazing Capcom game, too.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 2, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FilthyImp posted:

Always thought Little Nemo was a beautifully animated thing, even if the story was a little flat.

:same:

It's a great movie regardless of it's troubles.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh man, Little Nemo is one of those movies I loved as a kid and then seemed to drop off the face of the Earth once I got older. I don't think anyone I've ever asked has seen it.

I named our first dog Nemo, and then had to put up with everyone assuming he was named after Finding Nemo when that movie came out four whole years later :argh:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
By the by, the actual comic strip really is amazing in that Krazy Kat/Calvin and Hobbes way that is endearing and gorgeous and just unique.

I snagged a zip file ages ago with I think the complete run and the gag where Nemo falls out at the end is always expected but nevertheless works.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
My sister and I wore out our Little Nemo VHS when we were kids. Loved that movie. That liquid Nightmare scenes were actually pretty scary for children. They did an amazing job of making it look oozy and dark and 'wrong'.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The Little Nemo NES game stands as some of my favorite and most nostalgic game music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPLxtNeBjRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX75X2fOwpw

I have a stronger connection to this and the Black Cauldron game than I do to their respective movies. I also wore out a Little Nemo VHS but as a kid I treated it like, "They made a cartoon off this game I love!"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FilthyImp posted:

I LOVE Little Nemo.

It's one of those "the plot is just an excuse for pretty animation" movies, and that's just fine.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9-1Ga8f3b4

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, that is the same as bart watching fake tom and jerry, everyone in the 1990s still watched tom and jerry. Your parents always make you do the things they liked, so it's not exactly totally alien to see old stuff, but all kids media is always written by adults and always more like childhood 20 years ago than what childhood primarily is at the age the audience is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, that is the same as bart watching fake tom and jerry, everyone in the 1990s still watched tom and jerry. Your parents always make you do the things they liked, so it's not exactly totally alien to see old stuff, but all kids media is always written by adults and always more like childhood 20 years ago than what childhood primarily is at the age the audience is.

The Simpsons is an odd case where they started out being more 60s style (with Marge as an exaggerated 60s housewife) but turned out to settle well into modernity. And also Itchy and Scratchy is specifically presented as a cartoon short within Krusty's live action kids show (much like The Simpsons started out as shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show), just to be even more retro, though if anything Itchy and Scratchy was oddly prescient given Ren and Stimpy just a few years later. (Though it was actually based more specifically on Herman and Katnip, which was basically a more violent and crazy Tom and Jerry, and given just a bit more exaggeration)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not as pretty (by far, it's anination is pretty blah most of the time), but I always appreciated the Felix the Cat movie as just this weird thing I stumbled upon in the local video rental place.

E:: sad I never got the sequel unmasking the Duke of Nil

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 2, 2019

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old video rental that were part of the gas station/small grocer were great. Elm Chanted Forest, Little Nemo, Wizards (was in kids animated, lol), Felix the Cat, Flight of Dragons, probably some other crap I can't remember we rented every week.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yup. Flight of Dragons doing the "Fantasy, but some light science to make it work" along with James Earl Jones and John Ritter was extremely fun.

Never could get over the middle school joke inherent in a guy named Peter Dickinson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm still tickled the theme song was sung by Don McLean