Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BrigadierSensible posted:

For the fellow/lady watching The Good Life. If you want to watch Penelope Keith play another posh, uptight, overly concerned with appearances character, only this time she is the protagonist, rather than a side character, I would suggest watching To The Manor Born.

She is so loving good at playing that kind of posh, upper class, self important British woman so well.

Hyacinth Bucket is a parody of that kind of person.

I'm currently partially into Ever Decreasing Circles, may check out To the Manor Born later on. I like that the storytelling is more serialised than The Good Life, in that so far the episodes lead directly into one another rather than being self-contained stories. Also the notion of everything Paul doing playing into Martin's paranoia and the lack of control over the neighborhood making his narcissism more harmful to those around him is interesting too. Just watched Episode 4, Holiday Plans. I can see why it was the actor's favourite role.
Martin has a pathological fear of change and losing control, and Paul represents EVERYTHING starting to change around him. The rug has been pulled from under him and he needs to either learn to deal with it or be consumed by his own fear, potentially driving Anne and his friends away all the while.
I especially like that everything about Paul is interesting and sexy, he even has a sexy blood group that results in Mercy Dashes when it's needed due to it's rarity. Even his blood fails to be boring.

Hell, Martin is almost a deconstruction of Margo Ledbetter, going into what kind of person would obsess over their neighbours doings so much.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Jun 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BioEnchanted posted:

I finished watching through The Good Life this morning.

That show was my first exposure to British comedy. It was played on my local PBS station in the early 80s. And yes, it was bloody nice, but compared to the US shows at the time, it was a breath of fresh air. I liked the fact that Jerry and the Goods tolerated Margo's snooty attitude despite her tantrums (like the Christmas episode where she sent back her entire Christmas decoration order because the tree was too tall..)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't mind when things are twee, I enjoyed Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium and The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus (which is darker, but still quite precious at times). Sometimes in an era of complicated emotional stakes in cartoons and live action TV alike, you just want something light and fluffy to chill out with. When a day's been stressful I'm way more likely to want to watch an episode of something like Sabrina the Teenage Witch(90s version) than I am Game of Thrones.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Dumb and Dumber didn't age well because the Bluray edits in a bunch of scenes that were rightfully cut in the first place.

More on topic, the theatrical ending of Little Shop of Horrors kind of undermines the movie.

I always thought the Frank Oz ending made more sense because the voiceover at the beginning of the play talks about how mankind was saved from almost certain destruction at the hands of the plants. And then it ends with Audrey II eating everyone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I never realized there was an alternate ending for Little Shop of Horrors. That had to rank in the top 10 of elaborate expensive endings that ended up getting cut.

I prefer the theatrical ending though. That poo poo was dark.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Lord of the Rings blu rays have aged badly. I have them all on both blu ray and DVD. Both versions have some early 2000s cgi that doesn’t hold up, a big example being Gollum even though he was amazing at the time.

But on the blu ray the big battle scenes look like poo poo. Barely humanoid figures flailing at each other, or extras just sort of waving swords and then a lovely cgi orc near them goes flying. I actually prefer the DVDs because of this- Gollum being dated still works because the overall performance and effect was good enough to still enjoy. Like the cgi version of puppet Yoda.* But the battle scenes looking like poo poo throws me right out of the movie. You could probably run a LotR battle in the current Total War game engine, spruce it up in post, and legit have better-looking mass battle shots.

*unlike the actual cgi version of puppet Yoda, who sucks even moreso now than he did in 2002

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Jun 2, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I never realized there was an alternate ending for Little Shop of Horrors. That had to rank in the top 10 of elaborate expensive endings that ended up getting cut.

I prefer the theatrical ending though. That poo poo was dark.

I remember hearing the reasoning that the theatrical ending works for a theatre musical but they were probably right to change the movie ending because the star is everyone's favourite lovable nerd.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Lord of the Rings blu rays have aged badly. I have them all on both blu ray and DVD. Both versions have some early 2000s cgi that doesn’t hold up, a big example being Gollum even though he was amazing at the time.

But on the blu ray the big battle scenes look like poo poo. Barely humanoid figures flailing at each other, or extras just sort of waving swords and then a lovely cgi orc near them goes flying. I actually prefer the DVDs because of this- Gollum being dated still works because the overall performance and effect was good enough to still enjoy. Like the cgi version of puppet Yoda.* But the battle scenes looking like poo poo throws me right out of the movie. You could probably run a LotR battle in the current Total War game engine, spruce it up in post, and legit have better-looking mass battle shots.

*unlike the actual cgi version of puppet Yoda, who sucks even moreso now than he did in 2002

They looked awful to begin with for the most part (or at least the 2nd & 3rd ones, where the CGI was allowed to run amok.) The CGI effects might have been passable back in the day but they were way too into it and wanted to put it front and center. I guess they really wanted to get their money's worth.

I do agree that Gollum's effects hold up ok, probably because looking weird and wrong actually works for him. But the monster and army CGI was always an embarrassing waste of screen time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Few things will ever look as bad as War Elephant surfing Legolas.

I know FX houses are overworked, underpaid and constantly 2 minutes from being fired. but someone should have put the kibosh on that whole scene.

It's as bad as the troll-riding from Harry Potter 1

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

I know FX houses are overworked, underpaid and constantly 2 minutes from being fired. but someone should have put the kibosh on that whole scene.

It's as bad as the troll-riding from Harry Potter 1

The scene is Justice League where Aquaman surfs down some rubble(?) was equally bad. Yet somehow they thought it was awesome enough to highlight in trailers. Making cgi surfing look effortless and smooth makes a fake looking scene even worse.

Chris Evans doing a grind thingy in Scott Pilgrim looked so much better. In fact all the cgi in SPvsTW looked great.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BioEnchanted posted:

I didn't get Bottom either at first until I realised what they are really doing - it's literally a cartoon, but in live action. They are recreating situations normally only performed between a duck and a rabbit, most of Bottom's stunts can trace their roots to Tom and Jerry and the like.

Secondly they are a direct reaction of the saccharine nature of most british TV of the time, they are a similar reaction to The Good Life as The Addams Family was to Leave it to Beaver and that sort of thing. Taking an equal but opposite stance. The aggressively violent camaraderie of the characters directly contrasts with the soft snobbery of the older shows, in the same way that the Addams family take the idea of a perfect family and make them actually inwardly perfect even if they are outwardly weird, and better people in the long run due to being way more accepting of the unusual.

Bottom is basically (even more) scatological Beckett and it really, really owns.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm currently partially into Ever Decreasing Circles, may check out To the Manor Born later on.

You know what hasn't aged well? Sitcoms where two sets of neighbours interact with each other extensively.

As opposed to these days were the massive majority of people don't even know the name of their neighbours, yet alone get involved in a hilarous situation when the boss comes round for sherry.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Lord of the Rings blu rays have aged badly.
Man, that is really disappointing to hear: I've been holding off watching the Extended Edition of ROTK, despite owning it on DVD since it was first released, waiting for my home cinema to be good enough to enjoy it in perfection.

FilthyImp posted:

Obviously, I was planning on closing my eyes for that scene. Christ, what a turd that bit was.

Barry Foster posted:

Bottom is basically (even more) scatological Beckett and it really, really owns.
One of my big regrets is that I will never be able to see it live.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Shut up Meg posted:

You know what hasn't aged well? Sitcoms where two sets of neighbours interact with each other extensively.

As opposed to these days were the massive majority of people don't even know the name of their neighbours, yet alone get involved in a hilarous situation when the boss comes round for sherry.

I'll have you know I'm quite the social butterfly and do like to talk to my neighbours, when we both happen to be outside. One of my neighbors is a professional gardener so we talk about that sort of thing when I'm out weeding my own garden (he has dogs that have never got used to me, so he's always dragged out when I go out simply to get them back inside so they'll stop barking). Not everyone is a hermit. :colbert:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Shut up Meg posted:

One of my big regrets is that I will never be able to see it live.

Hard agree there.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll have you know I'm quite the social butterfly and do like to talk to my neighbours, when we both happen to be outside. One of my neighbors is a professional gardener so we talk about that sort of thing when I'm out weeding my own garden (he has dogs that have never got used to me, so he's always dragged out when I go out simply to get them back inside so they'll stop barking). Not everyone is a hermit. :colbert:

You're too good for this world, BioEnchanted

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

You're too good for this world, BioEnchanted

I prefer to think it's just about earned me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My idiot neighbour pisses off my dogs and keeps talking to me when I try to bring them in

E: gently caress

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm currently partially into Ever Decreasing Circles...

If you get to the very end, Paul's last ever line to Martin (well you'll know the one) is pretty much perfect.

Shut up Meg posted:

I'm kind of tempted to dig up Love Thy Neighbour, a show where the entire premise was "a black family moves in next door". I remember that literally everyone else in the show, except for the lead Archie Bunker type guy, was chill so I wonder if there was anything else in there to see.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Some of the green screen stuff in the LotR and The Hobbit movies is atrocious. There are places where it's super obvious where the set ends and the CGI begins, and the CGI has a weird slightly off-colour look in places that makes it stand out even more. It looks like old Hanna-Barbera cartoons where you could tell when something was going to move because it was drawn completely different to the backgrounds.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, it's still pretty Star Trek-ish. You just wind up with say, a more sympathetic/complex view of stuff like the Maquis sometimes and more gray areas, and the slightest bit of questioning about whether Starfleet is being stupid by not having a real military because pacificist ideals don't mean a lot when the bad guys can just win and enslave you.

one thing i look forward to in ds9 is (apparently) having a villain who plays it real close to the chest while keeping their enemies closer than their friends, it's more exciting when your foes poke holes at your ideals rather than just poking holes at your starships with phasers

a more character driven format seems like a good fit for that

mind the walrus posted:

The original Matrix holds up if you can groove on that 1999 style, but if you can't I totally see why it would be unbearable. It's definitely a case where the premise and the filmmaking philosophy (e.g: the plot is about Sims learning to exploit cheat codes and take over the server from within, the filmmaking is about Hong Kong shootouts in latex clubwear) only match up so well.

:agreed:

and imho, which used to be an unpopular opinion waaaay back when the films were fresh and people were still expecting great things from the matrix trilogy, the match up is so poor the matrix is best viewed as a fun action film with potentially some interesting themes/commentary in it rather than trying to let the commentary lead over the action - the mismatch becomes more obvious as the trilogy progresses with probably the rave scene being the turning point for most audiences

matrix 1 is still enjoyable tho

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Chubby Henparty posted:

If you get to the very end, Paul's last ever line to Martin (well you'll know the one) is pretty much perfect.
"I've been banging Ann for 3 years"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chubby Henparty posted:

I'm kind of tempted to dig up Love Thy Neighbour, a show where the entire premise was "a black family moves in next door". I remember that literally everyone else in the show, except for the lead Archie Bunker type guy, was chill so I wonder if there was anything else in there to see.

I was going to mention Love Thy Neighbour. You are misremembering it slightly, though; the husbands are both constantly doing each other down, while their wives become the best of friends. However, the racist husbands are the butt of all the jokes, so it quite possibly has aged well.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I finished watching through The Good Life this morning. It's got an interesting ending philosophically speaking, because in the finale there is a rash of burglaries on the Avenue, and early on Tom and Barbara joke that they haven't anything worth stealing, because over the years they've sold it all for necessary items to make their self-sufficiency work. They end up with a few farm problems cropping up that week though, the goats not giving much milk and a leak from the property next door has damaged some of their soil (although Tom has a plan to move the pig sty to the damaged soil to free up the farming space that it is currently built on, with a concrete floor to cover the oil-soaked earth, they just need some cash to actually do it).

Of course, their house does get hit at the end, and because they have nothing to steal the thieves trash their living room in anger, and of course they are shocked and horrified. However the series ends on a positive note, the thieves get caught trying to rob a different place and Barbara just comes out with "I know why the goat isn't giving any milk lately..." (because she's realised she needs to be mated again before she'll produce, and they just got a new contact who literally bought a farm himself on retirement, after being inspired by hte Goods)

The point being, the house doesn't matter to them, it really is just stuff, the important stuff in the gardens got left alone so they are actually fine.

It's not an ending to their story, because it isn't going to end, it's more of a distillation of their story instead, the truest essence of why their self-sufficient lifestyle was so worth it - because even when things like this happen, it doesn't hurt them much, because it's only unimportant stuff. If it was Margo and Jerry's house that was trashed they would have gone to pieces, but because Tom and Barbara moved their attention elsewhere, they were able to deal with it after only a few minutes of thought, and figure out how to fix the problems that could. be fixed. I also liked Margo gradually relaxing since finally getting to laugh (finally getting the joke for the first time in her life) in the Windbreak War, just little moments of her own ironic observations here and there, marked with a small grin, culminating in her actually joining the others in vaulting the fence rather than walking round it during the giddy conga line.

Do you know what has aged really well?

Felicity Kendal. Young Felicity Kendal is cute as a button, old Felicity kendal is smart and sophisticated. It's like how David Bowie morphed from avant garde weirdo to suave grey fox.

Whereas old Keith Richards just looks like a wrinkly young Keith Richards.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

hard counter posted:

my greatest sci-fi shame is never having really watched ds9 despite having watched drat near everything else... back in the day i never found a good time to step in and now i'm too worried that i'm going to read too much so this was when trek first went grim into it

i'm just gonna binge it one day, i hope it's aged well :ohdear:

I’ve said this before but gul dukat is the best reasonable hitler character ever

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I’ve said that before not because of Gul Dukat specifically or Star Trek in general but because I just enjoy talking About hitler

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
More like oldjewless

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

oldpainless posted:

I’ve said that before not because of Gul Dukat specifically or Star Trek in general but because I just enjoy talking About hitler
more like oldtesticleless

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
More like altschmerzenrein!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

That ain’t got nothing on running-up-falling-rocks Legolas from Hobbit 3. What a poo poo show that movie was.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bussamove posted:

That ain’t got nothing on running-up-falling-rocks Legolas from Hobbit 3. What a poo poo show that movie entire trilogy was.

Why that book got extended into 3 movies, I'll never understand. It was so bad that the taint reached back to LoTR, at least in my mind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Icon Of Sin posted:

Why that book got extended into 3 movies, I'll never understand. It was so bad that the taint reached back to LoTR, at least in my mind.

I went to the midnight premier of the first one and we were all joking "lol what if it's like the Star Wars prequels?" since that could never happen

It happened.

Also the NZ labour law being changed for literally just getting the Hobbit movies filmed there instead of somewhere else, loving over shitloads of NZ workers, doesn't help them or Peter Jackson's reputation.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

:capitalism:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I went to the midnight premier of the first one and we were all joking "lol what if it's like the Star Wars prequels?" since that could never happen

Even before The Hobbit release my general impression of prequels is that they were generally inferior movies and I thought that this was the common wisdom of the time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Icon Of Sin posted:

There's a Hugo-nominated series of Youtube videos about this very topic.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

YaketySass posted:

Even before The Hobbit release my general impression of prequels is that they were generally inferior movies and I thought that this was the common wisdom of the time.

:thejoke:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The theatrical ending to Little Shop of Horrors is the one with a tacked on happy ending, the original ending is the directors cut. The cut ending is humanity selling themselves their own destruction, while the 'happy' ending is Audrey getting to live out her horrible capitalist dream.

Also, for some reason in the theatrical cut they have Seymour awkwardly say "from outer space?" during the song about Audrey II coming from outer space.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also the NZ labour law being changed for literally just getting the Hobbit movies filmed there instead of somewhere else, loving over shitloads of NZ workers, doesn't help them or Peter Jackson's reputation.

i posted this before but nz's legislature here, especially the massive tax-write off they gave the studio, was heavily criticized by international labor watch groups at the time for both 1) the use of unfair government grants to locally secure interests against multinational competition, and 2) flouting international labor standards

imho the blame squarely falls on the nz government here, the conservatives stooped incredibly low in the face of the mildest of pressures when places like ireland and poland were also making overtures for the hobbit production (it wasn't just a given that nz would host again) and the government effectively sold out their own workers' collective bargaining rights instead of standing by them and their constitutional guarantees

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We live in a cyberpunk dystopia and nothing underscores that like the entire population of a sovereign nation forever losing their fundamental rights as a consequence of meddling by a foreign multinational corporation for the sake of a dumb movie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jackson calls for aid and New Zealand will answer

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I just noticed one of my posts became the thread title which I did not consent to or grant permission for. Expect to hear from one of my many many attorneys soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

oldpainless posted:

I just noticed one of my posts became the thread title which I did not consent to or grant permission for. Expect to hear from one of my many many attorneys soon.

More like oldcaseless!