Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Studio posted:

Can we all agree that DK64 is better than Tooie

dk64 is good as gently caress, on a game level and a speedrun level, so yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Johnny Joestar posted:

dk64 is good as gently caress, on a game level

let's not get too crazy here

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Studio posted:

Can we all agree that DK64 is better than Tooie

shut the f up

they are both bad

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'd take tooie over dk64 but that almost definitely is because the former was the first rare 3d platformer I played and the latter was the last

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Tooie is emptier than DK64, but you also don't have to go over each area five times or do repetitive minigames before you can get your collectables, so it's a better game. And also Tooie didn't stonewall me with an arcade game as a kid for eight months before I could fight the final boss. <:mad:>

DK64 is a better speedrun, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

absolutely anything posted:

let's not get too crazy here

it has a lot of collectibles but there's nothing requiring that someone has to collect 100% of it

unless they're hbomberguy doing a stream for a trans charity and alexandria ocasio-cortex among other people show up in the discord to talk, but, hey

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dk64 is fun until youve been grinding for hours and then realize you're only like 15% of the way through the game

Banjo 1 you can 100% in like 7 hours going slow. Much more manageable

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

nuts and bolts is the best banjo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

banjo 1 is good, tooie is a dumpster fire, nuts and bolts is the best. this is the official ranking

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tooie is better because it is the point where Rare said "gently caress it!" and created a fully labeled warp menu after iterating on BK's awful matching color pots and DK64's still not great matching number pads.

DK64 is probably the best speedgame because the glitching bullshit is incredible. Using grenades to cause slowdown but move faster since the game compensates :allears:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
banjo tooie still ranks as one of the most miserable experiences ive ever had with a videogame, the only good thing about it is the music

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Johnny Joestar posted:

alexandria ocasio-cortex

That was a RARE games stream not a crash bandicoot stream fyi

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I remember getting Banjo Tooie and being disgusted by the fact that the honeycombs in your healthbar were arranged in a straight line instead of the zig-zag from the original game, it was such a turn-off that I refused to play the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Odd posted:

That was a RARE games stream not a crash bandicoot stream fyi

gently caress, auto-correct really got me good there

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

I remember getting Banjo Tooie and being disgusted by the fact that the honeycombs in your healthbar were arranged in a straight line instead of the zig-zag from the original game, it was such a turn-off that I refused to play the game.

now that you mention it that is pretty egregious

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i legit don't remember anything about tooie.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nuts and bolts is the best banjo

it's the best banjo game by default because it is good whereas the n64 games are really, really loving bad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Groovelord Neato posted:

i legit don't remember anything about tooie.

Bottles got super murdered, and then his bootcamp brother taught you all your new skills, and sometimes when he was done teaching you he would dive back into his hole but the cover would close so he'd bonk his head on the lid instead of gracefully diving straight back down.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's the best banjo game by default because it is good whereas the n64 games are really, really loving bad
actually, all the banjo games are good

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The best Banjo game is playing as Banjo in Diddy Kong Racing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Invictus posted:

Bottles got super murdered, and then his bootcamp brother taught you all your new skills, and sometimes when he was done teaching you he would dive back into his hole but the cover would close so he'd bonk his head on the lid instead of gracefully diving straight back down.
also this is total rng so speedruns lose or gain seconds based on the number of jamjars bonks

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Tooie is better because it is the point where Rare said "gently caress it!" and created a fully labeled warp menu after iterating on BK's awful matching color pots and DK64's still not great matching number pads.

DK64 is probably the best speedgame because the glitching bullshit is incredible. Using grenades to cause slowdown but move faster since the game compensates :allears:

Shoutout to the run a year or so ago where they got the whole crowd to go aahhhhhhhh baaannnaannnaaaa for every banana

Also I feel like I'm the only one who loves Tooie :( Collectathons are my weakness.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DACK FAYDEN posted:

also this is total rng so speedruns lose or gain seconds based on the number of jamjars bonks

Yeah it rules

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
All collectathons fuckin' suck and the only good thing that came out of them were Trans Rights.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Also I feel like I'm the only one who loves Tooie :( Collectathons are my weakness.

No I love Tooie also. The only Rare like collectathon I don't like is Yooka-Laylee

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuts and Bolts is the best Banjo game unless that thing on the gameboy color was good

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Shoutout to the run a year or so ago where they got the whole crowd to go aahhhhhhhh baaannnaannnaaaa for every banana

Also I feel like I'm the only one who loves Tooie Collectathons are my weakness.

oh that sounded so wrong as i read it. it's "ohhhhh banana", did you even play the game????

you honeycomb-in-a-line loving bastard

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Banjo-Tooie lined up the health bar, made you turn in hollow honeycombs to an NPC before they did anything, and Banjo doesn't even dance when he gets a Jiggy. Is there no end to this game's sins?!

...And other things that bothered about the game as a kid. Unless they were catering to speedrunners, which I doubt, there was no reason to cut out the dance. :(

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

speed running is so loving good you guys

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dias posted:

All collectathons fuckin' suck and the only good thing that came out of them were Trans Rights.

Excuse me the PS1 Spyro games fuckin' rule :colbert: Both as games an as Speedruns.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the spyro games are great and had just the right amount of collectibles

none of this applies to enter the dragonfly, though. don't talk about that one.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

my favorite spyro is the one with bowser and donkey kong

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1135428540789342208

i don't NEED a co-op partner to beat a co-op time! nyeh.

not that was ever really the question, but still, better performance here. Can't be grouching.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Punchy in his eternal quest to make people stop having fun in speedrunning.

"no you don't need a friend"

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
spyro and crash sucked rear end except spyro enter the dragon or w/e and crash bash

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny Joestar posted:

the spyro games are great and had just the right amount of collectibles

none of this applies to enter the dragonfly, though. don't talk about that one.

Hey now it's a good speed game just for how broken it is.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kikas posted:

Excuse me the PS1 Spyro games fuckin' rule :colbert: Both as games an as Speedruns.

the only good collectathons are the ps1 spyro games and the 3d mario games. the rest of the genre is complete gutter trash.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hey now it's a good speed game just for how broken it is.

i actually find it super boring if an any% speedrun is only like 5 minutes because someone can clip right into the final boss fight immediately, but your mileage may vary on that

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

heeheex2 posted:

spyro and crash sucked rear end except spyro enter the dragon or w/e and crash bash

1/10

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i actually find it super boring if an any% speedrun is only like 5 minutes because someone can clip right into the final boss fight immediately, but your mileage may vary on that

I think a run like that may be only be good viewing once for the "woah drat" factor and not much else after that.

And that's fine, not every run has to be super rewatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

Super fast speedruns like this are what got me into watching speedruns in the first place. I don't have time to watch a 3+ hour video but I am super interested in spending hours reading the technicalities behind a 5 minute TAS.