Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I just had an epic battle againts Cao Cao which really came down to the wire, when my main general (Lui Bei) was defeated (wounded, not killed, I guess?), which caused my other two generals to go beserk. This proved to be a blessing in disguise, because them going haywire on the remaining enemy forces turned out to be exactly what was needed for a very, VERY close victory. Some Tolkien-esque poo poo here, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

BigglesSWE posted:

I just had an epic battle againts Cao Cao which really came down to the wire, when my main general (Lui Bei) was defeated (wounded, not killed, I guess?), which caused my other two generals to go beserk. This proved to be a blessing in disguise, because them going haywire on the remaining enemy forces turned out to be exactly what was needed for a very, VERY close victory. Some Tolkien-esque poo poo here, love it.

Yeah Liu Bei has a real "3 musketeers" vibe with his 2 co-generals / pseudo brothers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Man, I really don't know what I'm doing when I can't send a bunch of catbirds at the enemy lines. Sun Jian is supposedly easy mode but I'm struggling to ward off Liu Biao while trying to make headway against the Han to the south. I pressed southeast trying to secure the starting province and a story event triggered a war on my northern front and I barely have enough for my current stack, which doesn't let me upgrade much of my home provinces, and I can't currently push out to retake the city he took from me (the starting one you take anyway). The UI also makes it a lot harder for me to plan out my provinces so I'm not sure I actually know what I'm doing.

I'm ok on the battle map, I just need some help strategically. Any advice for a Sun Jian start?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

Man, I really don't know what I'm doing when I can't send a bunch of catbirds at the enemy lines. Sun Jian is supposedly easy mode but I'm struggling to ward off Liu Biao while trying to make headway against the Han to the south. I pressed southeast trying to secure the starting province and a story event triggered a war on my northern front and I barely have enough for my current stack, which doesn't let me upgrade much of my home provinces, and I can't currently push out to retake the city he took from me (the starting one you take anyway). The UI also makes it a lot harder for me to plan out my provinces so I'm not sure I actually know what I'm doing.

I'm ok on the battle map, I just need some help strategically. Any advice for a Sun Jian start?

Sun Jian's lands are pretty poo poo for revenue generation early on but he should be running a large food surplus, trade food to other factions in exchange for money and diplomatic alliances.

Liu Biao is your #1 threat early on, either make him happy by giving him the Imperial Seal, get him embroiled in a war with Yuan Shu, or buy him off with thousands of plates of rice. You can go for the knockout blow by getting Cheng Pu and Lady Wu into the mix and overwhelming his initial doom stack, but this will be a huge strain on your finances and Liu Biao will just bounce back pretty quickly as he has a lot of revenue.

Southward expansion is trivial, the Han won't be putting up any real resistance, but you want to be leaning towards expanding eastwards as well. If you can hit the open sea then you not only get a bunch of good revenue commanderies, you also get a *lot* more options for diplomacy.

It sounds like you're getting bogged down by fighting on multiple fronts without having the cash to back it up. This can quickly lead to a death spiral, focus your movements.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Fangz posted:

https://twitter.com/TheFatConsol3R/status/1135315363992952833

Lol.

Can't wait to fight Donny and Lubby with the forces of Euan Shaw and Carl Carl.

Theswarms posted:

Does anyone have a link to that translation that replaced all the names with weird double barrelled names?

http://www.e-reading.mobi/chapter.php/93594/28/Guanzhong_-_Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms_%28vol._1%29.html

quote:

The rise of the fortunes of Han began when Rucker-Lewis the Supreme Ancestor slew a white serpent to raise the banners of uprising, which only ended when the whole empire belonged to Han (BC 202). This magnificent heritage was handed down in successive Han emperors for two hundred years, till the rebellion of Frederick-Gorman caused a disruption. But soon Winkler-Lewis the Latter Han Founder restored the empire, and Han emperors continued their rule for another two hundred years till the days of Emperor Sprague, which were doomed to see the beginning of the empire's division into three parts, known to history as The Three Kingdoms.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Man gently caress Juan Schauer and his vassal swarm.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Louis Beauregard is a bastard no matter what you call him.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
It's annoying how every new character you hire from the recruitment pool comes in at super low satisfaction.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ragingsheep posted:

It's annoying how every new character you hire from the recruitment pool comes in at super low satisfaction.

It'll only get worse if you don't address it. The characters start off with a satisfaction bonus for being recently hired

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
They usually want to be promoted up for being cool dudes, which you can do in their character screen near the top. It ups their salary.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Playing yellow turbans is so fun, and so hard, and you really start to hate the noble pieces of poo poo around you even more than ever. gently caress you liu bei, you bootlick, you coward, who begs to be saved bybstack after stack of dead men from cao cao and yuan zhao so he can keep sacking undefended farmland

While being rich enough to instantly redeploy the entire trium after a wipe

Well, only two now. The revolution thanks you for the donation of Zhang feis halberd, monarchies scum

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hey, I'm a total noob at TW and this game. Is it possible to get a decent way into a campaign or even win by autoresolving all the battles? Likewise can I learn the battle mechanics just playing around with the "jump into a battle" mode?

It's a bit too much for me trying to learn all of it at once.

I realize you kind of have to do the fights to understand what kind of units and generals you want for the military part, but even without understanding it can you go a decent way without focusing on fights?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Zhang Fei rules because even in the version of this story about how cool Liu Bei is, the writer cannot obscure what a collossal rear end in a top hat this man was and is forced to just blame it all on a questionably-existing case of alcoholism

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Going back to siege chat, Medieval 2 had truly giant cities that were quite impressive - a siege battle in Milan in the late game would involve a city that covered the majority of the playable area. Of course while it was cool to look at it was a) unrealistic - how did the city walls somehow always encompass the entire settlement, particularly when the city was huge? b) impossible for the AI to navigate and c) largely superfluous - combat was concentrated on a few sections of wall followed by the the city centre, with all the buildings and streets in between serving as window dressing.

In a perfect world there’d be some way to represent giant cities in a historical and gameplay-friendly way that the AI could navigate but I don’t think it can be done.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Zwabu posted:

Hey, I'm a total noob at TW and this game. Is it possible to get a decent way into a campaign or even win by autoresolving all the battles? Likewise can I learn the battle mechanics just playing around with the "jump into a battle" mode?

It's a bit too much for me trying to learn all of it at once.

I realize you kind of have to do the fights to understand what kind of units and generals you want for the military part, but even without understanding it can you go a decent way without focusing on fights?

Not really, IMO. Often in these games, you can autoresolve all the battles in the last 1/3 of a campaign by just piling three armies into each one, but that's not an option in the early game: you need to be able to (at the very least) win an even fight without too many casualties.

Anyway, it's been about ten years since I learned how to fight TW battles, but I recall that jumping into random battles is a pretty good way to learn how they work. Remember to use the pause and slow-mo as much as you like; they exist as a crutch for new players. Some people maintain that they encourage bad habits, but I don't think that really applies unless you're planning to get heavily into MP. Once you get good at beating the enemy, you can start learning how to do that while still having a functional army left over for the next fight.

Every campaign in TW is set up so that you have an easy-ish battle ready to go on turn 0. You can always try those out to get a feel for early-game, low-tech fights.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Is there a rule of thumb as to what you should be prioritizing first on the non military side of things in terms of like Population vs. Administration vs. Industry/Commerce? Population first and then whatever your heart desires?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I focused on what my home commandery was set up for (commerce for Sun Jian) and it’s worked out well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BBJoey posted:

Going back to siege chat, Medieval 2 had truly giant cities that were quite impressive - a siege battle in Milan in the late game would involve a city that covered the majority of the playable area. Of course while it was cool to look at it was a) unrealistic - how did the city walls somehow always encompass the entire settlement, particularly when the city was huge? b) impossible for the AI to navigate and c) largely superfluous - combat was concentrated on a few sections of wall followed by the the city centre, with all the buildings and streets in between serving as window dressing.

In a perfect world there’d be some way to represent giant cities in a historical and gameplay-friendly way that the AI could navigate but I don’t think it can be done.

a thirty years war period would be neat just to see the sieges. they'd probably gently caress it up but the slow advance of trenches up to the walls until you finally start dropping mortars in and charging up the walls would be rad. it'd be weird to have a game where a walled settlement basically couldn't be taken without a lengthy siege assuming no overwhelming odds

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

a thirty years war period would be neat just to see the sieges. they'd probably gently caress it up but the slow advance of trenches up to the walls until you finally start dropping mortars in and charging up the walls would be rad. it'd be weird to have a game where a walled settlement basically couldn't be taken without a lengthy siege assuming no overwhelming odds

That's medieval sieges as well really. Especially eary on before things started getting more organized in the later part of the high middle ages*. Generally it was pretty difficult for Medieval rulers to keep a large enough army together for a long enough time to starve out defenders in a siege, though at times it happened, and usually when a castle was taken without a lengthy siege it was more often by way of treachery than by assault.

Siege assaults as seen in games aren't really terribly realistic and you kind of have to take a number of liberties with them.

* Europeans got pretty good at building siege machines (it's related to the availability of lumber and the advancement of ship-building really) and then cannons also hit the stage. Siege assaults were a bit more common in the Islamic world (where you had something closer to standing armies of mercenary rather than the extremely conditional service of feudal armies that most Western European rulers had to rely on), though there were less of the small explicitly military castles there (with the exception of Andalucia in the age of the Taifa states, where small, pretty much impregnable mountain castles were common), though they typically focused on mining (or bombardment from mangonels and trebuchets) to open breaches rather than wall assaults (incendiary weapons were common enough to have essentially obsoleted siege towers).

e: One thing Total War games should portray better is raiding and devastation in order to essentially force a battle, which happened a number of times throughout history where the defenders would retreat behind their fortifications where they were essentially untouchable but saw themselves forced to risk a field battle in order to prevent the attackers from devastating their fields and killing their people and livestock. Essentially perhaps a way for raiding to be more devastating, especially if done in a single region/province over a period, coupled with siege assaults being rarer (and armies being safer when garrisoned in a fortified settlement, perhaps also projecting a larger zone of control so garrisoned fortifications can't be easily bypassed) and perhaps a field battle being fought and won in a region giving a large increase to the chance that you can successfully demand the surrender of a settlement.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 3, 2019

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jovial Cow posted:

Is there a rule of thumb as to what you should be prioritizing first on the non military side of things in terms of like Population vs. Administration vs. Industry/Commerce? Population first and then whatever your heart desires?

I've been letting the non-city regions dictate what I build (commerce if there's a trading port etc.) along with the requisite corruption/PO (if needed) buildings. I never prioritize pop past my capital though as that gets out of hand fast and I never have enough food to avoid maxing pop anyway.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i've been doing All The Peasants as liu bei

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
That's right my Yellow commies, we've got Yuan Shu's rear end trapped. Their right is breaking, All Archers, I want fire arrows on them NOW.

proceeds to make it rain fire arrows

-Sir

Not now, I'm busy breaking their crossbows with the light horse. Let me know when we're ready to roll that right side.

-Sir, we're fighting in the middle of a forest

oh, oh wait

OH poo poo EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Started a co-op campaign with my friend tonight. When he tried to host, we would instantly get a desync error message when the campaign loaded up. When I host everything works. Great job on the netcode as always, CA.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
-100 attitude malus with Cao Cao if I join the war against him, -40 if I don't :thunk:

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Thank you, it's so beautiful.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
So, Yuan Shu. I ended his campaign at 113 turns compares to Sun Jian's 217. Just getting used to the game certainly helped lower turncount but holy crap I nearly halved it. Yuan Shu starts in probably the worst spot in China. Liu Biao and Cao Cao are direct neighbors, Dong Zhou is gonna send his expansion forces right at your border, and Yuan Shao is right across the river ready to pounce. Everyone hates you. There's even He Yi right there. Sun Jian is too distant to help, Kong Rong doesn't like to help and Liu Bei will always screw you over.

But making peace with Liu Biao is really powerful. You can use his doomstack to eliminate your biggest threat and getting him and his vassals to accept legitimacy means your resource starts to skyrocket, which means your rank skyrockets and you get all sorts of bonuses before other factions. I was at duke when everyone was still putzing around as cruddy second marquises and was able to bully my way around despite having a frankly weak army. With the public order bonus from Legitamacy you can get the 10% tax increase for free, which lets you really rally your economy and Yuan Shu is really good at economy. He has a special assignment that boosts commerce 75% and industry and peasantry by 30% for a Legitimacy cost. This stacks with the other 75% commerce boost which is a whole lotta cash. And more money means more friends to acknowledge you. And when they like you demanding legitimacy starts being a positive modifier, which means you get money from them for supporting you. Amazing.

On the other hand, Yuan Shu is your only unique and he (and his kids) are Commanders. Now, I like commanders but Yuan Shu has difficultly recruiting. He needs to spend 50 Legitimacy to recruit folks to the faction. An agreement or vassal gets 8 per turn. The assignment costs 6 and Yuan Shu's unique building also costs 1-6. This is why AI Yuan Shu gets rolled, he flat-out cannot get armies because no one supports him. Try and get as many marriages as you can and always recruit captured generals.

In short, Yuan Shu has a rocky early game that if you can survive lets you shoot out way, way further ahead than anyone. Then you can leverage your power into getting others to do the heavy lifting for you while you reap the rewards. In short, it's very Yuan Shu.

Now, as for the fate of everyone else!

Sun Jian I used as a quick shot of legitimacy before offering him up to play nice with Liu Biao. The two ended up taking peace after Jian died and Ce conquered the south, as he does, and a good chunk of the west. I played nice with him and even got him in a coalition with Liu Biao, Zheng Jiang and myself. Then the Three Kingdoms happened right after and he became Wu. Despite this we weren't at war but my plan to roll up Dong Min's flank went out the window. Gong Du would then also hang around harassing me to endgame after. Wu then went to war with Liu Biao who absolutely destroyed him. He cut the Kingdom in half which was why I was able to Ultimatum-abdicate and win the game.

Dong Zhao got Diaochaned again and Dong Min fought off Li Jue and Gou Si again. He fluctuated between his highs and lows and at one point offered to be my vassal for peace. Then he came back in a huge storm with Ma Teng, Han Sui and Zhang Yan as allies and retook the northwest from the bandit queen. Then eventually he floundered badly. I killed Dong Min's personal army and his attempt to take back a territory I controlled got stopped by the garrison, so he wanted peace-vassal again. This pissed a few allies off buy whatever I took it. He was down to two territories wow. Dong Min died and Lu Bu took over which surprised me I thought he had died which is why everything went the way it did. Lu Bu hated me but since I had seven armies lurking around his only city he couldn't do poo poo.

Cao Cao was one of the highlights of the run. Early on he agreed to become a vassal in exchange for a critical farm province which I granted only for him to declare independence. I hastily assembled an army for an invasion that never came only for it to come when I go on the attack. Cao Cao was hemmed in by too many powerful armies and took his shot. It failed and he became a vassal again. I then stuck a spy inside him and spent a long time just loving with his court keeping him as week as possible. He had basically no army and for whatever reason Sun Ce married off his widow mother, Lady Wu, to him. Which also meant Cao Cao ended up with the Imperial Jade Seal because I guess it was with her (she also had Sun Jian's sword to boot). My spy actions help keep him weaker so he didn't try anything and he even kicks out his own father and a general that came into my service with Tiger and Leopard Cavalry. During my war with everyone Cao Cao moved three of his four armies up north of the river. Cao Cao himself was one of them. Then the Three Kingdoms event fired. And Cao Cao declared Wei.

Now, Cao Cao was very weak. Maybe the weakest unique there was outside the bandits. I was stronger, Sun Ce was Wu; Yuan Shao, Liu Bei and Kong Rong were all stronger. But I got Wei. And well, Cao Cao didn't stand a chance. My economy at this point was incredibly strong. My warchest was huge and my income was nearly on par with what it'd be when I completed the campaign. I could raise and fund more armies than every faction I was at war with. So I did. I chased down and sank Cao Cao, and started gobbling up Cao Cao's homeland. After a particularly brutal battle, less than 10 turns since declaring himself I got Cao Cao to abdicate and his territories and he himself became mine. Then my huge income was driven down to near negatives because Cao Cao was just bleeding money and food what the hell no wonder he lost.

Gongsun Zan submitted to Yuan Shao as usual. I finally got to see him on the battle map where he took a city from me. I really like his coloring. After I crushed Yuan Shao, Gongsun Zan wanted desperate peace and accepted being a vassal. Since I was dangerously low on food from city feeding as was I accepted his peace.

Kong Rong became my vassal early on and was my staunchest friend. He was over 400 relation at one point. He also spanned east to west along the river. I was surprised he didn't declare then as I write this I remember he can't since he's a loyalist.

Liu Bei was the other story of the run. Initially he was friendly as all hell and him palling around with Kong Rong was great! He entered the coalition, he dragged me into a war with Yuan Shao I didn't want before Liu Bei accepted peace with like an rear end in a top hat and became a vassal. I let peace happen while I concentrated on an attack on Dong Min. War breaks out again and I scramble back east. Liu Bei takes an important mine after a staunch defense and since I knew this was coming I did have a few armies nearby which took a city. Which pushed my prestige high enough to trigger the Three Kingdoms event. Whoops. Kong Rong and I destroy his control south of the river and Liu Bei and Zhuge Liang retreat to their last major city. They attack a mine and the guard towers there murder Guan Yu for me. Zhuge Liang makes a pretty interesting choice to night battle one of my sieging armies to try and thin out my ranks. It doesn't work and I cut off his head, but props for trying. I drive out Liu Bei and take his swords. They go real well with Yuan Shu.

Liu Biao I peaced with and abused his doomstacks to my advantage. He came close to taking Chang'an but then backed off for whatever reason? During one of my peaces with Yuan Shao he was still at war with him so Yuan Shao marches an army to Liu Biao's capital which gets wrecked and wander uselessly until the faction gets wiped. He then declares war on Wu and eats Sun Ce alive effortlessly.

Ma Teng randomly allied and enemied with Dong Min and Yuan Shao until I just force vassal him late game.

Yuan Shu Me!

Yuan Shao during the first war I forced him back across the Yellow River and during the second he was too busy trying to resecure the north to try another crossing. Suicided an army into Liu Biao which meant he had nothing to defend my vassal swarm. I didn't take his offers of peace and vassaling because of a Mission.

Zhang Yan flip flopped on whom he allied with but survived this time. He almost wiped out Zheng Jiang. I could have done the usual force vassaling but he wiped out one of my vassals so BURN.

Zheng Jiang got kicked around bad. SHe took over the northwest only to get kicked out and was at one point down to three territories before I was able to safeguard her. She got a few of Yuan Shao and Zhang Yan's territories out of it.

Yellow Turban 3: He Yi got crushed early on with Liu Biao's doomstack. Huang Shao also got killed at some point. Gong Du on the other hand was a monster. He was obviously the big power in the west and clearly why everyone allied with Dong Min to stall him. Despite only a few territories he had three full armies which managed to take one of my cities. Then, an utterly heroic defense in an encampment battle (towers are too nuts) drained his armies so badly they were easy pickings for my reinforcements.

And with Yuan Shu's tale done it's time to move on... But who now shall conquer China? I was thinking Kong Rong, Gongsun Zan or Gong Du.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Mantis42 posted:

I don't want heroes to become a mainstay of the historical titles. It's fine for this setting, but the duel system isn't deep or interesting to worm its way into every future title. If retinues stay I hope they expand it to an actual chain of command.

If they do something similar with Medieval 3 then (after we accept that this will probably be an atrocious way the same way Empire and Rome 2 were horrible coming right after series high points trying to do a lot of new stuff on a bigger scale) they might make some sort of progression out of it. Like if it starts around 10 century you still have sort of legendary warriors as heroes. But as you progress you get into a more grounded world where legendary heroes are stopped by a pike formation. You get crossbowmen, longbowmen and later pike & shot formation obliterating knights and now heroes have to be tacticians and commanders instead of knights in shining armor.

Of course, this would mean some insane scope for the game. And you won't be able to get used to your characters which is important for 3K. It only works cause there are a couple of generations in the campaign. Maybe it would work as something like a Hundred Years War focused game but you won't have a grand story if you emulate the whole Europe. And it will be back to Empire model, sorta. It would be immersion-breaking if you'd have to conquer half of Europe as Venice to win.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You’re not wrong, but: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY

I mean the song is in the exact English that Charlemagne and Jesus used

In case you didn't know Christopher Lee sort of has a claim to be a descendant of Charlemagne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eE5EPznv80

He mostly talks about symphonic metal and Manowar in this video, but he talks about it starting at 3:05.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ilitarist posted:

In case you didn't know Christopher Lee sort of has a claim to be a descendant of Charlemagne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eE5EPznv80

He mostly talks about symphonic metal and Manowar in this video, but he talks about it starting at 3:05.

That's everyone in Europe. And that's not because Charlemagne was ridiculously prodigous or anything (he really wasn't) it's just kind of how it works out if you go back far enough, anyone who had children, and whose children and other descendents went on to have children are pretty much the ancestors of everyone nowadays within a certain area.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Zwabu posted:

I would strongly advise against it.

I've played TW games like that for a while, only playing "even" fights. In reality autoresolve is only here for when you know that the victory or loss will be total and there are no reinforcements next turn so you don't care about marginal differences in losses. Or when you've already won the campaign and have to conquer a couple more provinces. If you don't play the battles you won't understand the game. Even if campaign looks divorced from battles it's still more connected than you think. You'll never understand why you have to listen to Lu Bu talking poo poo till you see him in battle. You won't know why you have to buy that tiger cavalry which costs three times as much as normal ones. You won't love your generals, you won't learn how important it is to have a cunning strategist or to research archers to replace conscript bowmen. It will feel shallow cause the effect on your actions on battles won't be noticeable at all.

The same is true for any other game with a separate campaign and tactics level, like Age of Wonders or Heroes of Might & Magic.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I really enjoy your writeups, thanks for posting! It would be nice if you could add some screenshots of maps, I'm still not very familiar with the provinces.

I had a cool thing happening in my Sun Jian campaign: declared Wu, got most of the south, to my east there are Cao Cao, Lou Bei and Kong Rong (all vassals of Yuan Shao). To my north Liu Biao and Yuan Shu alliance are kind of friendly to me. North of them Bandit Queen, Yellow Turban dude, Yuan Shao, Gongsun Zan duke it off and constantly switch alliances. I want to make use of chaos and take down Cao Cao, end up at war with all of his vassals so I go and kick Liu Bei too. Then after pushing him a bit he does the most Liu Bei thing ever: he confederates Lou Biao! Suddenly all my undefended northern border is hostile territory. I expected confederation going in the other direction, but it's in character for that benevolent rear end in a top hat to go plead for help and end up taking all of helpers lands.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
What are people's thoughts on the Romance/Records mode? I just cant really get into Romance at all, for some reason.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Are there button keys that command armies to attack at will at all? Sort of if I tell my troops to run forward towards a location where enemies are convening, they'll automatically begin to attack the nearest enemy, rather than continuing to run ahead?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Fangz posted:

https://twitter.com/TheFatConsol3R/status/1135315363992952833

Lol.

Can't wait to fight Donny and Lubby with the forces of Euan Shaw and Carl Carl.

There's a translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms somewhere where all the names have been Romanized.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

DJ Dizzy posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Romance/Records mode? I just cant really get into Romance at all, for some reason.

Romance mode feels like the main mode, tbh. Are women generals also in Records? Haven't bothered to check, but it owns. I wish you could get generic female vanguards and champions too.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

alex314 posted:

I really enjoy your writeups, thanks for posting! It would be nice if you could add some screenshots of maps, I'm still not very familiar with the provinces.

I had a cool thing happening in my Sun Jian campaign: declared Wu, got most of the south, to my east there are Cao Cao, Lou Bei and Kong Rong (all vassals of Yuan Shao). To my north Liu Biao and Yuan Shu alliance are kind of friendly to me. North of them Bandit Queen, Yellow Turban dude, Yuan Shao, Gongsun Zan duke it off and constantly switch alliances. I want to make use of chaos and take down Cao Cao, end up at war with all of his vassals so I go and kick Liu Bei too. Then after pushing him a bit he does the most Liu Bei thing ever: he confederates Lou Biao! Suddenly all my undefended northern border is hostile territory. I expected confederation going in the other direction, but it's in character for that benevolent rear end in a top hat to go plead for help and end up taking all of helpers lands.

Hey, thanks. I'll take a map shot and ping some spots later.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Vichan posted:

There's a translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms somewhere where all the names have been Romanized.

Is it as terrible as all those oldschool chinese kungfu movies that have been dubbed into english?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is it as terrible as all those oldschool chinese kungfu movies that have been dubbed into english?

https://www.e-reading.club/book.php?book=93594

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

^^^^^^^^
:stare:

Azran posted:

Romance mode feels like the main mode, tbh. Are women generals also in Records? Haven't bothered to check, but it owns. I wish you could get generic female vanguards and champions too.

Maybe? I can't tell most of the generic generals apart most of the time. At first glance, it looked like my Lui Bei had married a dude. Zhiang Fei owns bones though. It's hilarious to watch him and his bodyguard rearcharge into three spear-units and watch those dirty peasants disappear in seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

"Cao Cao [Murphy-Shackley] and Liu Bei [Jeffery-Lewis] looked to the sky, when a rainstorm was coming. Subconsciously, they realted themselves to dragons. "

Thank you for that. I've been trying to find that again for ages.

quote:

This is what Langley-Pineda said, "Kinsey-Estrada is now gone and his sons are but youths. Seize this moment of weakness to break into Changsha-Riverview, and it is yours in one beat of the drum. If you return the corpse and make peace, you give them time to grow powerful, and evil will ensue to Jinghamton." "How can I leave Rutgers-Hutchinson in their hands?" said Bambury-Lewis. "Why not sacrifice this blundering warrior for a region?" "But he is my dear friend and to abandon him is wrong." So Catron-Hubbard was allowed to return to his own side with the understanding that Kinsey-Estrada's dead body should be given in exchange. Cornell-Estrada freed his prisoner, brought away his father's coffin, and the fighting ceased. Kinsey-Estrada was interred in the plains of Que-Salem. When the ceremonies were over, Cornell-Estrada led his army home again. e-reading.club