Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

typically you get a vesa mount to hang the screen off the end of a fancy articulating arm, not to bolt it directly to a flat surface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sniep posted:

so are we saying we're not getting the stands, tho? i mean, becky in reception got a stand and im also public-facing due to my job requirements so i really also need the stand

This is genuinely going to account for more sales than actual "pro" users

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The Management posted:

I’m not saying this thing isn’t overpriced, but there seem to be a lot of people itt that have never seen a $20,000 workstation.

shut the gently caress up

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

*Walks into the party*

You think that's expensive? Hmm I guess it *could* be, from a certain perspective. I'm not used to thinking down that low see, I see a lot of expensive things in my life. How, you ask? well, let me tell you about

(I drop an anvil on the management's head for being such a loving poser)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i loving hate this forum man. everyone is constantly getting on each other's rear end for getting out of line but at the same time you tolerate some absolutely insuffereable behavior constantly. you are all fuckups.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
try being funny

no mirror

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Sniep posted:

try being funny

no mirror

oh yeah if only i was funny, like YOU, people would tolerate my posts they way they do hilarious other people who are accepted here like schadenboner and our king, graph. you are all a barrel of laughs and i'm ruining it.

gently caress you, dweeb. This isn't fun for you and it isn't for me either. you're a loser.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Everyone was laughing at The Management's post about how he sees expensive things all the time and we don't and maybe if we did we would understand why the $2500000 stand is actually cool and good. morons.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

loving swiftui is out, a new declarative ui paradigm and you ABSOLUTE LOSERS are talking about the stand

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
nailed it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Sniep posted:

nailed it

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thanks. I needed some comedy posting

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
no i mean in the end you literally nailed it.

we're talking about the stand.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
it's expensive.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

People laugh but Dell also sell workstations that start at 6K, and a humanscale monitor arm is $400. Those might be significantly better deals but they are presumably the competitors.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

a selling point of the 2006 mac pro 1,1 is that it was priced lower than the dell with the same xeons

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pointsofdata posted:

People laugh but Dell also sell workstations that start at 6K, and a humanscale monitor arm is $400. Those might be significantly better deals but they are presumably the competitors.

usually when buying enterprise workstations you also get support

come to think of it what you’re really buying is the support

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the mac pro 1,1 was a drat fine computer, i still have mine

miss ya stebe

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

e: wrong thread Apple bad so are computes FYI

Moo Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 4, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Amethyst posted:

it's apple leveraging their monopolistic position to get their foot in as yet another privacy invasion corp.

kinda? seems like they are interested in lock-in of users and app developers, not monetizing user data. the Apple implementation appears to be much less leaky of user data than Facebook or Google. granted they might be harvesting info about how often certain apps are emailing users.

I feel like had they always had this as a sign in option most apps would have implemented it alongside of google and Facebook since implementing those is more about making sign up completely painless instead of user data harvesting. if you really want user data you make them set up their own account.

but I get that Apple missed that boat and forcing it on apps by mandating it in the App Store guidelines is definitely an abuse of market position. that said they are going about this in a way that primarily fucks over other monopolistic abusers so...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

go play outside Skyler posted:

so with 1.5TB of ram can you actually mount an entire file system in the ram ? that would be pretty cool

I still remember messing around with my hand-me-down IBM PS/2 and PC DOS, and there was an option to mount a drive in RAM. Because who could use all 512k of RAM at once? Might as well turn 256k of that into D:\

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SRQ posted:

a selling point of the 2006 mac pro 1,1 is that it was priced lower than the dell with the same xeons

a selling point of the 2019 Mac Pro etc etc

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for the afternoon special with Ive in three years where they talk about what went wrong with the current mac pro and how they're starting a multi-year process to create a new machine that's more suited to what users want.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lambert posted:

Can't wait for the afternoon special with Ive in three years where they talk about what went wrong with the current mac pro and how they're starting a multi-year process to create a new machine that's more suited to what users want.

users: We need Nvidia support because everything that could justify these prices uses the CUDA API

apple: so... six wheels instead of four?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SRQ posted:

sweet Jesus how the gently caress is that supposed to compete with Epyc in any way

they can't. get yours now before the industry figures it out and starts shifting, allowing amd to increase prices

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

go play outside Skyler posted:

so with 1.5TB of ram can you actually mount an entire file system in the ram ? that would be pretty cool

a disk... made entirely from ram. if only we had a term for this that existed since forever

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Mac drivers for modern nvidia cards already exist to some extent iirc. If compatibility bears out and we don’t see trends in 6 months like the GPU failures on the 2013 Mac I’m in for one on rev 2.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

usually when buying enterprise workstations you also get support

come to think of it what you’re really buying is the support

yeah but supporting a x86 box is easy, its the same poo poo as any other dell shitbox at the end of the day. the real trick is getting better support from autodesk or whoever, and Dell can't do poo poo for that besides selling you a Quatro/FirePro for "certified drivers"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you'd think it would be easy but apple hardware support is abysmal.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

Having to drive to the fruit stand and having to beg for an appointment three weeks out is clearly the pinnacle of hardware support.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

users: We need Nvidia support because everything that could justify these prices uses the CUDA API

apple: so... six wheels instead of four?

how does this make any sense in your head. obviously nothing on macos depends on cuda since there hasnt been an nvidia mac for almost a decade. if someones buying this then they already use a program that has metal support lol

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/pro-app-developers-react-to-the-new-mac-pro-and-pro-display-xdr/

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pram posted:

how does this make any sense in your head. obviously nothing on macos depends on cuda since there hasnt been an nvidia mac for almost a decade. if someones buying this then they already use a program that has metal support lol

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/pro-app-developers-react-to-the-new-mac-pro-and-pro-display-xdr/

Yes, that's why they're not buying macs. Also lol @ my cheap PC for WoW having way more power than a $6000 machine.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I assume the intention is that you are a shop of any size you keep a spare on hand to swap out but yeah applecare really needs some kind of on-site servicing for their enterprise customers

Lambert posted:

Yes, that's why they're not buying macs. Also lol @ my cheap PC for WoW having way more power than a $6000 machine.

please tell us about your sick fps

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 4, 2019

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Lambert posted:

yes everyone is well aware a random assortment of budget parts from newegg and your closet can absolutely DESTROY crapple macintrashes

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Please tell us more about your undying love for apple products.

pram posted:

yes everyone is well aware a random assortment of budget parts from newegg and your closet can absolutely DESTROY crapple macintrashes

It's true. And you don't even have to use a terrible OS like mac os!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I assume the intention is that you are a shop of any size you keep a spare on hand to swap out but yeah applecare really needs some kind of on-site servicing for their enterprise customers

if you're a shop of any size you're hopefully smart enough to avoid apple hardware entirely

pram
Jun 10, 2001
have you considered that this is the wrong venue for your unrelenting ownage. youre missing many upvotes on reddit

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
*buys spare macs pros for backroom*
*goes into bankruptcy*

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

if you're a shop of any size you're hopefully smart enough to avoid apple hardware entirely

I'd probably be buying precisions too but hey osx is nice and some software wants it instead of settling on freeware garbage like windows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
osx is unusably bad and the only software worthwhile on it runs better on windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

I’m not saying this thing isn’t overpriced, but there seem to be a lot of people itt that have never seen a $20,000 workstation.

agreed me and my 6.5 figgies computer are shaking our heads