Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spikeguy posted:

I never understood the appeal of Avatar. And the more people shouted at me that not only was it great but i was a fool for not being into it the more it fueled my apathy

Titanic of action films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also if you adjust for inflation, which you should because otherwise box office numbers are totally arbitrary, it’s like 18th domestically.

You can definitely counter this with “Gone with the Wind played every 3 months for 10 years” which is true, but even adjusting inflation from 2009 -> 2019 adds like $100 million to Avatar’s total.

you are forgetting a significant adjustment that should be made against avatar but i'll never tell

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

coconono posted:

I feel the same way about Age of Ultron as I do Avatar: they were disposable summer action flicks that pretended to be big Make You Think Movies. I'll be curious to see what the discourse is on them 20 years down the road.

No one thought AoU was good though

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Avatar has a much different reputation in the non-English world than the English one. The explanation I've heard can best be summed up as "the less likely the culture was to have exposure to Dances With Wolves or Ferngully the more likely it was to embrace Avatar" That stuff is so common and trite it is boring to us but it turns out large portions of the world haven't seen a lot of movies like it.

Another trend to look at is that while spectacle (for the most part) is no longer a draw with American audiences they're still a really big deal in nations which only began getting multiplexes within the last decade. Avatar 2 - 4 are going to do big business overseas. Domestically? vOv

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tone loc should be in avatar 2

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cavauro posted:

tone loc should be in avatar 2

Avatars 2-5 should be exclusively soundtracked by Funky Cold Medina

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lid posted:

The first Jurassic Park is a brilliant blockbuster and for a movie outstanding that its not even ironic to love it though

The entire sequence from the Velociraptors cornering the humans to the T-Rex going,"RAAHHHH gently caress YOU I'M A T-REX!" as the banner floats down behind it is pure cinematic heroin and I've spent the last twenty years trying to figure out how to hook it directly up to my veins.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The entire sequence from the Velociraptors cornering the humans to the T-Rex going,"RAAHHHH gently caress YOU I'M A T-REX!" as the banner floats down behind it is pure cinematic heroin and I've spent the last twenty years trying to figure out how to hook it directly up to my veins.

Some things you just have to take by eyedrops.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I'll always prefer more practical "oh poo poo that's awesome" effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMYHF_dyH88

The original Dawn of the Dead is one of the best movies ever loving made and I will fight you on this.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

CobiWann posted:

The original Dawn of the Dead is one of the best movies ever loving made and I will fight you on this.

Get ready to rumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_xUviDPUOE&t=83s

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I liked Age of Ultron. I also liked Iron Man 2. I am an odd duck.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Oh, I like you. I LIKE you.

Agree this is also a fine movie. Funny, scary, trashy...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

coconono posted:

Titanic of action films.

Titanic is at worst a three star film

I have an entirely unsupported theory that for all the years of people making GBS threads on Titanic as terrible but the highest grossing ever James Cameron made Avatar just so Titanic would look so much better in retrospect.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Most of the Titanic backlash comes from that song. It was suffocating following that film's release.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TTBF posted:

Most of the Titanic backlash comes from that song. It was suffocating following that film's release.
It's because women and girls liked it and literally nothing else.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oh

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lid posted:

Titanic is at worst a three star film

I have an entirely unsupported theory that for all the years of people making GBS threads on Titanic as terrible but the highest grossing ever James Cameron made Avatar just so Titanic would look so much better in retrospect.

Titanic was a ho-hum love story told on an extravagant backdrop. So three stars is fair.

And yeah that loving song. Jesus. It was cool the first few times but I swear you couldn’t open a box of cereal without hearing that drat thing. Radio was still a big thing so you were locked into that unless you were rich and had a tape deck.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I saw Avatar at imax with the family on my request because i compared it to a theme park ride spectacle.

After it was over i apologiaed to my family.

At the time i said i give it at most two stars and the second star was only for the spectacle, without that it would be one star.

As years have gone on and as a spectacle it has utterly failed to hold up, unlike LOTR or Titanic or Terminator 2 or The Abyss or Aliens, its now safely the biggest one star film of all time.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I enjoyed 100% of Terminator 1, 80% of Terminator 2, 60% of True Lies, 50% of Titanic, 30% of Avatar. At current rates Avatar 3 will provide negative 10% enjoyment.

I'll still go see them all. I went to see every single Prequel Star Wars movie in the cinema twice, despite not enjoying them at all at any point.

Edit: Oh I saw 'Searching' at the weekend. It's a good thriller watch. Everything is done on a computer screen, it's a fun device that only gets annoying a couple of times.

Von Linus fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 4, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

It's because women and girls liked it and literally nothing else.

it's a good thing that we can discuss latent as well as abject misogyny on this board, and i think we always should, without allowing that to color our perception of the human behind the misogyny

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

RealFoxy posted:

there were memorable characters and moments in the rest of those movies (Maybe not Godzilla as much)

if nothing else, godzilla ripping that MUTO's mouth open and laser beaming straight down its throat at point blank range until its head fell off almost made the wait feel worth it, at the time

edit: also the spikes lighting up to setup the laser for the first time after like an hour and a half of generic disaster movie, briefly turned me into a child in that moment when mom's finally done shopping and we're going to mcdonalds

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 4, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just finished the last episode of Chernobyl, and I'm probably preaching to the choir but holy gently caress what an absolutely incredible show. Just stunning from start to finish.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Jerusalem posted:

I just finished the last episode of Chernobyl, and I'm probably preaching to the choir but holy gently caress what an absolutely incredible show. Just stunning from start to finish.

Yeah man. I just watched the Terror over the last week too and Jared Harris might be my favorite living actor.

That last scene with him and Boris outside the court was just incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've heard mixed things on The Terror but I've never seen Jared Harris in anything he wasn't fantastic in so I'm definitely down to give it a watch.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jerusalem posted:

Don't worry you'll always have Monday Night Raw

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Being about cancer is not the same as being cancer.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm about cancer

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Incessant Excess posted:

Being about cancer is not the same as being cancer.

You will regret your words and deeds for mocking Roman Reigns

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Had a guy tailgating me...gently caress, the guy was DRAFTING my car this morning while I was driving the kiddo to school. I'm going 45 miles an hour on back roads rated for 30 and he's on my bumper without any room to spare. Finally I pull over to let him pass.

As he passes the driver looks over at me and gives me a thumbs down.

For some reason that annoyed me more than if he had just flicked me off.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
To be fair, Batista is a pretty busy guy these days.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

It was so good

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Godzilla should fight giant Jared Harris in the next movie

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Godzilla should fight giant elephant foot in the next movie

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Jerusalem posted:

I've heard mixed things on The Terror but I've never seen Jared Harris in anything he wasn't fantastic in so I'm definitely down to give it a watch.

You'll enjoy it.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

You'll enjoy it.

I read the book, I thought it was really interesting. Sort of a C'thulhu vibe maybe in the horror at the cold.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Yesterday I watched the movie Paprika for the first time and it's very good. If you have not seen Paprika, you should see it.

Here have a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzEW_eE1G0

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is my favorite zombie movie yet. Also the loving strongest zombie lore wise I'd guess. Only way to deal with them is to lock them up, anything else just makes the problem worse.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

dromal phrenia posted:

Yesterday I watched the movie Paprika for the first time and it's very good. If you have not seen Paprika, you should see it.

Satoshi Kon's other movie "Perfect Blue" is also pretty awesome.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

dromal phrenia posted:

suuuuuch a trippy film, i love it

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

Satoshi Kon's other movie "Perfect Blue" is also pretty awesome.

In addition to Paprika and Perfect Blue, Kon also directed the excellent Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers. Most of his movies have had their prints discontinued in America, but someone recently bought up the rights and is going to be screening Millennium Actress in theaters later this year. I'm gonna have to go a bit out of my way to see it in August but I'm very excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If you like Satoshi Kon and haven't watched Paranoia Agent then you need to fix that