Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

TheReverend posted:

Makes sense. Thanks!

Kyoon is blunt but correct almost all of the time. This is no exception, consider a C-Class and check out an A4 while you're at it man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah to be clear, I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm just a know nothing trying to figure what the next car is once the Prius dies.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Your Prius will never die. Unlike a Mercedes or audi.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

TheReverend posted:

Anyone hosed around with new Mercedes A class?

How bad are they ?

What about the Lexus ES/GS? Certified used examples are very reasonably priced, and far nicer than an A-class. Plus it's a lot less likely to break, and they even make a hybrid version for an extra few :20bux: . You don't even have to deal with the terrible Predator grille until you get into the 2018+ models. If you want a new car, I dunno, the luxury market is weird.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 1, 2019

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'd just like to say that a CX5 is essentially a taller Mazda 3, and Mazda's auto trans is really nice.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Maybe I’ll swallow my pride and get a CX-5 with auto then and in a few years—hopefully if I have a tenure-track job, or have changed careers to one that pays a decent salary—I can get a car I actually like.

But dang do I really miss actual shifting.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

Maybe I’ll swallow my pride and get a CX-5 with auto then and in a few years—hopefully if I have a tenure-track job, or have changed careers to one that pays a decent salary—I can get a car I actually like.

But dang do I really miss actual shifting.

Don't knock it until you try it. I love my CX5.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Buy a Mazda 3. If you want something a bit classier but will cost more to maintain get a VW.

The whole manual/hatchback thing is very much a 90s/2000s market and car manufactures today dont give a poo poo about it. Most of them became auto SUVs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
How is your parking?
Why not buy a car you like plus a $2k ford ranger to tow your dinghy with?
Put liability only on it with like 2500mi a year and insurance will likely be a few hundred a year if you own another car.

edit: I'm not recommending it, but the 2014 and earlier Jetta Sportwagon has a manual and appears to have a 2000lb tow rating. I think some imprezas might have a tow rating too as well as a manual, but I don't think the WRX/STI ever got one.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 2, 2019

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That’s one arrangement I’ve thought about, for sure. My wife isn’t too enthusiastic about it, though, since our current house has just a one-car garage.

At least one person in my sailing club (to which I should renew my membership) tows their boat with a Mazda3, and it’s a larger class boat than the type I’m interested in. Others use Outbacks or various CUVs.

Anyway a lot of this depends on which job offer I take this week, since one would mean moving temporarily to a new city where I may only have street parking, and the financial picture would change too.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 2, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dang, I wish I could find a $2k Ford Ranger

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Coincidentally that's exactly what I found on Craigslist the other day

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Trying to figure out a car situation for my parents, who are getting ancient and not very mobile, and are still driving a 1993 3-series that's about to fall apart on them. Three requirements:

1. The car has to be on the compact side, as their garage entrance is right at the corner of a narrow alley, so if it's of the size of a BMW E36 or smaller, it can probably fit.
2. It's easy to get into the car. They're losing mobility, so squatting down to get in is becoming more and more difficult. I'm guessing the higher the seats the better.
3. The model is available for sale in Europe, where they live.

Nothing fancy really, pretty much anything is an upgrade from what they have no. Just convenient, safe, and foolproof. Please advise, and thanks in advance.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 3, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DreadCthulhu posted:

Trying to figure out a car situation for my parents, who are getting ancient and not very mobile, and are still driving a 1993 3-series that's about to fall apart on them. Three requirements:

1. The car has to be on the compact side, as their garage entrance is right at the corner of a narrow alley, so if it's of the size of a BMW E36 or smaller, it can probably fit.
2. It's easy to get into the car. They're losing mobility, so squatting down to get in is becoming more and more difficult. I'm guessing the higher the seats the better.
3. The model is available for sale in Europe, where they live.

Nothing fancy really, pretty much anything is an upgrade from what they have no. Just convenient, safe, and foolproof. Please advise, and thanks in advance.

At that age / with those reflexes, they should 100% be buying a car with advanced safety features. Its a very real chance the automatic braking might save their own or someone else life over the course of ownership.

And if you want foolproof, they should probably be getting a Honda/Toyota, whatever fits well in their garage. If that ain't classy enough for their BMW taste, get a Lexus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They have an ancient E36, it's not like they are ballin out.

I will throw in a recommendation for the Renault Kadjar. Good reliability, good active safety features, good residual values. Kind of dull to drive, but you can't win em all.

How much money do they want to spend?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

zapplez posted:

At that age / with those reflexes, they should 100% be buying a car with advanced safety features. Its a very real chance the automatic braking might save their own or someone else life over the course of ownership.

And if you want foolproof, they should probably be getting a Honda/Toyota, whatever fits well in their garage. If that ain't classy enough for their BMW taste, get a Lexus.

That's a good point, automatic braking does sound worth the upgrade in of itself. I know my mother barely gets any sleep these days, so she's zoning out half the time during the day, which is terrifying to watch from the side.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They have an ancient E36, it's not like they are ballin out.

I will throw in a recommendation for the Renault Kadjar. Good reliability, good active safety features, good residual values. Kind of dull to drive, but you can't win em all.

How much money do they want to spend?

Lol, yes, the car is pretty much a net negative at this point. I'm actually amazed it's still trucking along without too much trouble, I'd have to ask them how much they're torching in maintenance fees a year.

And yeah the Kadjar does look pretty appealing, wonder if they could find a used one out there to keep things around 20k USD or less, great tip.

Thanks guys, keep em coming if anything else comes to mind.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Number_6 posted:

Does GEICO still hate sports cars? Many years ago I was a young man (but over 25) with a Camaro and they kept hiking my rates for no reason (clean record) until I was forced to leave. I switched to State Farm for literally like 40% of what GEICO was charging me (same car, same coverage).

I've insured a Cayman and Boxster with them and they've always been the cheapest.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

That's a good point, automatic braking does sound worth the upgrade in of itself. I know my mother barely gets any sleep these days, so she's zoning out half the time during the day, which is terrifying to watch from the side.

Lol, yes, the car is pretty much a net negative at this point. I'm actually amazed it's still trucking along without too much trouble, I'd have to ask them how much they're torching in maintenance fees a year.

And yeah the Kadjar does look pretty appealing, wonder if they could find a used one out there to keep things around 20k USD or less, great tip.

Thanks guys, keep em coming if anything else comes to mind.

The challenge is that most of the good automatic safety features are pretty new. 2014 is where things just start to creep in for the segment you're looking at.

Couple others:

Volkswagen family:
Midsize CUV - SEAT Ateca, Volkswagen Tiguan, Skoda Karoq are all pretty new. Skoda is the bang for the buck in the family.
Midsize weird thing - Skoda Yeti (these are great, and probably fit the bill if you can tolerate the appearance, but no active safety features and only available quite used)
Small CUV - T-Roc (but it's brand new)

Ford family:
Midsize CUV - Kuga

PSA:
The 3008 is supposed to be OK, but I had a colleague drive one and he hated it.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The challenge is that most of the good automatic safety features are pretty new. 2014 is where things just start to creep in for the segment you're looking at.

Couple others:

Volkswagen family:
Midsize CUV - SEAT Ateca, Volkswagen Tiguan, Skoda Karoq are all pretty new. Skoda is the bang for the buck in the family.
Midsize weird thing - Skoda Yeti (these are great, and probably fit the bill if you can tolerate the appearance, but no active safety features and only available quite used)
Small CUV - T-Roc (but it's brand new)

Ford family:
Midsize CUV - Kuga

PSA:
The 3008 is supposed to be OK, but I had a colleague drive one and he hated it.

That's a great list, thank you, I'll have to see the kind of car dealers they have in the area, see what their inventory looks like. Great call on 2014+.

Length-wise, are most CUVs going to be in the "compact" category (this compact parking space), or does that flat out not exist in the car industry?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm assuming that their E36 is a sedan, so it's roughly 175 inches long. Tiguan, Kuga, and Kodiaq are too big.

Similar length CUVs from the list (170-175):
Kadjar
C-HR
Karoq (smaller Skoda CUV)
Ateca

Under 170:
T-Roc
HR-V
Renault Captur (Clio-based CUV, forgot this one earlier)
Ford EcoSport
Nissan Juke

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

I've insured a Cayman and Boxster with them and they've always been the cheapest.

Insurance is weird. Fireman's fund had no issue with my heavily modified (disclosed) turbo Subaru with 8k in mod insurance, but when I bought a 100hp Mazda 2, they gave me the we don't want you quote, which was like 3 grand more per year.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm assuming that their E36 is a sedan, so it's roughly 175 inches long. Tiguan, Kuga, and Kodiaq are too big.

Kadjar
C-HR
Ateca

Under 170:
T-Roc
HR-V
Ford EcoSport
Nissan Juke

You're a star, thank you.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I need a new car cause my old car is a shameful artifact of my youth and is unfit for my current needs

Use:

I need a weekend road-warrior to drag myself, maybe a friend, and luggage from NYC to upstate where there is bad snow.

Needs:

AWD/4x4 necessary cause my current car got stuck in the snow 5 times last January

4 door for people, 2-3 hour drive

Reasonable cargo space, maybe a hatch back?

Cant get too big like a Ford/Tonka truck since I am limited by my buildings parking 60's defined parking space.

20 to 35k budget

Im 6ft 6in so I need some space for my tree of a body.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Kadjar
C-HR
Ateca

Under 170:
T-Roc
HR-V
Ford EcoSport
Nissan Juke
Maybe the KIA Soul? It's shorter than 170 and has the higher seats. My mom loves hers.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

CannonFodder posted:

Maybe the KIA Soul? It's shorter than 170 and has the higher seats. My mom loves hers.

Does not have AWD, friend.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gaj posted:

I need a new car cause my old car is a shameful artifact of my youth and is unfit for my current needs

Use:

I need a weekend road-warrior to drag myself, maybe a friend, and luggage from NYC to upstate where there is bad snow.

Needs:

AWD/4x4 necessary cause my current car got stuck in the snow 5 times last January

4 door for people, 2-3 hour drive

Reasonable cargo space, maybe a hatch back?

Cant get too big like a Ford/Tonka truck since I am limited by my buildings parking 60's defined parking space.

20 to 35k budget

Im 6ft 6in so I need some space for my tree of a body.

I'd bet money that your old car didn't have winter tires and that you don't really need AWD. Source: I live in Buffalo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Something Offal posted:

Maybe a Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5, then.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Something Offal posted:

AWD wasn't a requirement, I don't think. The Soul is a good idea. Only got active safety tech this year, though and it looks like the EX trim is where that stuff starts to kick in. There's also the Niro and the Hyundai Kona.

Deteriorata posted:

Maybe a Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5, then.

Both are too big, and this is Euro market anyway.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Something Offal posted:

I think maybe you're mixing up the EU parents poster with the NYC snow poster?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Just keep driving your 3rd gen F-body gently caress the haters

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

incogneato posted:

I think maybe you're mixing up the EU parents poster with the NYC snow poster?

I am an idiot, yes that's what happened.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hyundai Kona is 164in long and has AWD available for all trims as well.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

KillHour posted:

I'd bet money that your old car didn't have winter tires and that you don't really need AWD. Source: I live in Buffalo.

Winter tires dont help on a mustang in 12 inches of snow!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

If you are in a situation which actually requires AWD, they're certainly not all equal.
Avoid Honda, for example. Subaru and Audi are generally the best in not getting stuck. Subarus have pretty nice ground clearance too.

If you're not in rural areas, you probably got stuck because you didn't have snow tires though, mustang or no.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gaj posted:

Winter tires dont help on a mustang in 12 inches of snow!

Did you have winter tires? Because they do. I'd rather have a Mustang on winter tires than an SUV on all seasons. And even still, you don't have to get an AWD car to have a car better in the snow than a RWD pony car. A FWD car is fine. Not that you shouldn't get an AWD car, but on your budget, a FWD car is going to have a ton more features and be way nicer.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 5, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nm posted:

If you are in a situation which actually requires AWD, they're certainly not all equal.
Avoid Honda, for example. Subaru and Audi are generally the best in not getting stuck. Subarus have pretty nice ground clearance too.

If you're not in rural areas, you probably got stuck because you didn't have snow tires though, mustang or no.

The whole Honda AWD = hot garbage thing is massively overblown. Honda's AWD on their consumer SUVs is essentially as good as Nissan/Toyota/Ford/GM etc AWD. They got a lot of bad press because of a certain malfunction in the system that looks really bad in factory testing but wont really happen in the real world. I've driven Honda AWD , Toyota AWD, Ford 4x4, Dodge 4x4, Dodge AWD, Nissan AWD and they are basically all the same unless you are literally mountain climbing.

You are right though that Subaru and to a lesser extent Audi are industry leading for AWD.

4x4 is a different beast entirely.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

4x4 is a different beast entirely.

gently caress it, buy a Wrangler. Everything else about it is garbage and it's covered in Fisher Price plastic, but you'll be prepared for any of the offroading challenges you'll face on your dangerous journey to the untamed wilds of *checks notes* Albany.

That's why people buy them, right?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 5, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I see people use them all the time.

To park on snow piles in parking lots after the plows have come through.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Also you can take the roof and doors off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had a buddy with a real jeep and its super fun as a weekend toy but who would want to own one and daily drive it.

Its like a boat. Its more fun when its your friends and not your own.