Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

Who knew there was a FF5 Free Enterprise mod.

https://twitter.com/cleartonic/status/1116880856046608384

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GulagDolls posted:

ive never beaten ffv before but I will do this now

I’ve never played ffv before but if you, friend gulag, are participating, then so will I

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

chaoslord posted:

I’ve never played ffv before but if you, friend gulag, are participating, then so will I

Excellent friend. I am excited to see you Fiesta-ing this year!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

CapitalistPig posted:

I highly recommend starting off with pure chaos berserker risk.

:getin:

literally what is the hardest option because I will do that.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GulagDolls posted:

literally what is the hardest option because I will do that.

Does #Everhate still exist?

Don't actually do it even as a challenge, it's not a challenge just dumb

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Supremezero posted:

Don't actually do it even as a challenge, it's not a challenge just dumb
yeah don't do deliberate quadzerk

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chaoslord posted:

I never played FFV before fiesta either and I absolutely fell in love with it. I now know far too much about this delightfully silly game and look forward to fiesta season every year.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I only played through the snes version of the game.

It fine to just dive right into a reg run with the steam version?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

It's fine yeah, just specify iOS version when you ask questions because it has a few unique traits I've done 30 ish runs on it via my phone.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

It... really matters on your classes. SNES/GBA are the preferred versions depending on a couple of things (mainly bugs/fixes involving Beastmaster and Berserker). Somebody more familiar with it will have to pipe up but here's a post about it last year with a tl;dir and an updated technical Reddit post. I thought there was something wacky about A (always hit) instead being 99 or a chance of missing? I think this comes up enough it should probably go in the OP.

Supremezero posted:

I haven't see anyone try #blameeverhate this year (well, someone tried in April apparently but it just gave a message about the 2018 fiesta being over).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, there's no invalid version for the runs (as long as you can take pictures, my early ones back in the day were bad photos of my GBA that I figure only counted as verification because it's for charity. Not phone pictures, I had a cheap digital camera that came free with my computer. All the customization and image preview of a travel film camera (sub-paranthetical, do they still make those?) just instead of mailing it in you get to find where you put the proprietary-yo-usb cable.) just a few changes between versions that mean some tricks may not work.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 5, 2019

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The main thing I'd say is that emulators can be a godsend if you want to do tons of runs because the opening sequence alone takes a million years.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

The Steam version is bad, GBA is best if you get the sound patch from the Discord. Even if you're fine with the graphics in the Steam version, there have been several bugfixes that close off a lot of things useful to a fiesta.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

Ritznit fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 5, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

How likely is it for berserker risk to net somebody multiple berserkers? Has anyone ever done it and got only one or zero?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Some Guy TT posted:

How likely is it for berserker risk to net somebody multiple berserkers? Has anyone ever done it and got only one or zero?

It depends entirely on how much money gets donated before the Fiesta starts. Last year I risked and only got one.

Edit: To clarify: Berserker Risk adds a number of berserkers to the pool based on how much money is donated during preregistration divided by a number based on the number of people who sign up. (I think it was $10 in previous years?)

Those berserkers get handed out to people who do a risk. A lot of money means a lot of berserkers.

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 5, 2019

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Steam version is bad, GBA is best if you get the sound patch from the Discord. Even if you're fine with the graphics in the Steam version, there have been several bugfixes that close off a lot of things useful to a fiesta.

Thanks for the tips y'all. I'll sign up once I'm not bound to phone posting.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is a big overstatement. You can't stunlock Omega with beastmaster, magic underflow zerk, or keep immunities from unequipped items. None of these stop you from beating the game in the multitude of broken ways built into the game.

I'll take Lamping the rugwizard, closest target zerks, and auto battle over those any day of the week.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nasgate posted:

This is a big overstatement. You can't stunlock Omega with beastmaster, magic underflow zerk, or keep immunities from unequipped items. None of these stop you from beating the game in the multitude of broken ways built into the game.

I'll take Lamping the rugwizard, closest target zerks, and auto battle over those any day of the week.

quote:

(BST) Some !Release effects, particularly those that deal a static percentage of targets' Max HP, now automatically miss on Heavy targets.

(BST) !Calm now (finally) works as intended, only affecting Magical Beasts.

(CHM) The !Mix effects Death Potion, Dark Sigh and Succubus Kiss are no longer unblockable effects.

(Weapon) The downside to the Double Lance changes is that it no longer prevents the !Flee proc from the Chicken Knife, even from the off-hand.

(Equipment) The Mirage Vest re-equip trick no longer works.

(Status Effects) The Heavy flag appears to drastically reduce the length of time that status effects last for bosses, moreso than in other versions. Not sure if this impacts party members as well.

(Spells) The Sap effect seems to now wear off during a Quick stall; weakening if not entirely negating the Quickleak strategy.

Omniscient is much more difficult to deal with in this version with non-casters. Silence from the Mage Masher wears off from him much faster than it used to, and if the Silence proc misses he'll counter with Reset.

Yes, Omniscient gets two bullet points. Other issues: he can now cast Reset through Berserk.

I never said you can't beat the game without those exploits, I said them being fixed closes off a lot of useful things.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I never said you can't beat the game without those exploits, I said them being fixed closes off a lot of useful things.

I'm not saying it doesn't, but it's pros and cons instead of a unilateral worse like a lot of people like to present it.

The gist is that gba/snes have potentially extremely powerful but very situational options.

iOS gets rid of some those but adds things that are less powerful but less situational.

And I very much disagree with omniscient being harder, you need only a couple attack actions +lamp to beat him. Vs grinding away hitting yourself with mage Mashers forever.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I didn’t write that guide for it to be used in anti-Matrix propaganda :colbert:

I’m mostly joking; for the record, I would argue that the mobile/steam version is overall more difficult, but in different and interesting ways. Sure you lose a lot of the cheesier tactics, but I’m several years in now and I’m still learning new things (Berserker auto targeting, Dancing Dagger/Twin Lance, apparently you can Magic Lamp the Rugwizard?) which when you’re playing a 20+ year old game for the umpteenth time isn’t nothing.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Those berserkers get handed out to people who do a risk. A lot of money means a lot of berserkers.

Yeah, either two or three years ago there were some big donations and so many berserkers got distributed that riskers with two or three berserkers were quite common. Ah, good memories of Tri-Zerkers plus one Dragoon that year.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mountaineer posted:

Yeah, either two or three years ago there were some big donations and so many berserkers got distributed that riskers with two or three berserkers were quite common. Ah, good memories of Tri-Zerkers plus one Dragoon that year.

Of course, that resulted in a change of the risk logic so that won't happen again (Money per zerk is now decided at the start of the fiesta based on number of riskers vs donation total), so fortunately (unfortunately?) Tri-zerk is decidedly unlikely, and quad-zerk is probably safely impossible.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Nasgate posted:

The main thing I'd say is that emulators can be a godsend if you want to do tons of runs because the opening sequence alone takes a million years.

Just do what I do, and make a save file right after Wind Shrine to skip all of it!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

BisbyWorl posted:

Just do what I do, and make a save file right after Wind Shrine to skip all of it!

And be stuck with the same name throughout the entire fiesta? That's insane!

Playing multiple times you'll want the turbo button anyway for all the other six billion cutscenes and long rear end conversations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Isn't there a place you can change your name? Can't remember where or in what version though.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Some Guy TT posted:

Isn't there a place you can change your name? Can't remember where or in what version though.

Pretty sure that's Namingway, and he's only in FF4.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

agradine posted:

I didn’t write that guide for it to be used in anti-Matrix propaganda :colbert:

I’m mostly joking; for the record, I would argue that the mobile/steam version is overall more difficult, but in different and interesting ways. Sure you lose a lot of the cheesier tactics, but I’m several years in now and I’m still learning new things (Berserker auto targeting, Dancing Dagger/Twin Lance, apparently you can Magic Lamp the Rugwizard?) which when you’re playing a 20+ year old game for the umpteenth time isn’t nothing.

My biggest beef is that you apparently lose the only real way to access Holy if you only rolled White Mage for magic classes in the Fiesta.

Unlike Black Mage and Flare, a White Mage really, really wants Holy around, but if you can't Berserk Rugwizard to stop his Resets, a White Mage has no reliable way of beating him, being forced to lean back on incredibly inaccurate Silence casts and dropping physical attacks in the milliseconds he stays silenced.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 5, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Pretty sure that's Namingway, and he's only in FF4.

No, I played the Advance version a few months ago and I'm positive there was an NPC somewhere who offered to let me change it. Maybe Boko or maybe I just imagined it.

Incientally that was a pseudo fiesta run. For the real thing I can't decide whether to berserker risk or not. That every class challenge sounds fun and I'm also worried about the difficulty curve. My pseudo run was Black Mage Time Mage Ninja Summoner which struck me as one of the easier possible combinations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Some Guy TT posted:

In the past four years, I've never gotten more than one Berserker even with Berserkerrisk, but then my first run is always a normal run, and I guess those only hand out Zerks at the Water Crystal. Zero shouldn't happen though.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Ritznit posted:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

This is good, but you might want to let non-GBA users qualify with Beast as well - Beastmaster is only good against Omega due to a bug that is only in the GBA version.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

KataraniSword posted:

My biggest beef is that you apparently lose the only real way to access Holy if you only rolled White Mage for magic classes in the Fiesta.

Unlike Black Mage and Flare, a White Mage really, really wants Holy around, but if you can't Berserk Rugwizard to stop his Resets, a White Mage has no reliable way of beating him, being forced to lean back on incredibly inaccurate Silence casts and dropping physical attacks in the milliseconds he stays silenced.

I have always felt like it's pretty rare to really need Holy--it's pretty rare to have a combination of classes that has White and not even the modicum of offense required to get by when you have infinite healing and damage mitigation. But you only ("only") need to do 13000 damage to him to get him to the point where he'll kill himself with level 3 elemental spells, so you do have a few options for high damage things in the very small Reflect window. Having two other party members queued up with Zeninages can do it in combination with the Lamp. I've done that before, although I remember using a really high speed and naked Thief who I got to throw twice in the window. I've also always wanted to get White and Monk and see if I could Berserk him and try to Counter him to death.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ritznit posted:

very powerful

I've never actually triple crowned without at least one of these classes. It seems like I might get a Time Mage in the Popular run unless it gets replaced with the Berserker.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

So I guess it's time for my donation pledge!

Since my first time beating FFV was through the 4JF I'll donate $1 per person (max $20)who also has their first run of FFV through the fiesta!

May be doubled later depending on my money situation.

Funktastic fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 6, 2019

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You can beat Rug Wizard without berserk. You just need to uh, sit there for hours as he drains his mp with reflect rings.

9999 MP so it takes a long time but it's easy, just tedious.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 5, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ChaseSP posted:

You can beat Rug Wizard without berserk. You just need to uh, sit there for hours as he drains his mp with reflect rings.

9999 MP so it takes a long time but it's easy, just tedious.

It's more like 30,000 MP so tedious doesn't begin to describe it. Though if you can silence him for a moment an give him an ether then you can drop him down to 9999 MP

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MagusDraco posted:

It's more like 30,000 MP so tedious doesn't begin to describe it. Though if you can silence him for a moment an give him an ether then you can drop him down to 9999 MP

I would be wary of expecting that to work on Matrix, since none of the other good and useful bugs work on Matrix.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 5, 2019

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

I would be wary of expecting that to work on Matrix, since none of the other good and useful bugs work on Matrix.

I'll add it to list of things to test this year

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

I'll add it to list of things to test this year

I would also doubt it works. I'm far from one of you goofy FF5 Mechanics Wizards but it seems like whatever they had to do to change his Reset to let him cast it while Berserked would also let him cast it with no MP, i.e. it might not be a spell anymore.

edit: although I guess that doesn't explain why he can't do it Silenced...