Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk if you think about it this guy is worse than like Osama. Maybe even Hitler.

Wait, Osama is bad now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Not as bad as the killdozer guy hth

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I come here to pay my respects just to see people digging up killdozer's old tweets from 1997 smdh

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

This forums dark libertarian past is showing

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I pray for killdozer to killdoze the homes of the doubters while they are safely out of the way

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jose posted:

Can't corner the dorner

Hell yeah

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I've been to Granby, CO many times. Killdozer was the best thing to happen to that town.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

b-minus1 posted:

Next years killdozer day is canceled

WTF are you talking about that sounds like the worst ide..........

Wait

Just

A

Minute

You're right and a goddamn genius.

We shouldn't celebrate Killdozer on just one day. We should celebrate Killdozer everyday!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shut up Meg posted:

Oh yes: man was a shithead for sure, but you can't argue he made a hell of a machine.

Does make me think: there have been a few cases of people going postal with armoured machines, including tanks. Are there plans in place to stop them the next time it happens? Do Ponch and Jon have javelin missiles in their motocycle panniers?

Dude in San Diego stole a tank from the Army National Guard. Ended up being shot by a cop who crawled up on the turret and opened up the hatch.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as the guy a few years back who went awol, stole an apc, and livestreamed him driving it around town saying the army should issue him an anime waifu

or maybe that was a fever dream i had

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

fakeaccount posted:

Today is a special day. June 4th 2018 marks the 14th anniversary of the Killdozer's rampage through Granby Colorado.

Sit down kids and let me tell you a tale, about a reasonable man driven to do unreasonable things.

Marvin Heemeyer was a man who owned a muffler shop in Granby Colorado. The city council ordained to approve the construction of a concrete factory in the lot across from Marvin's shop. In the process this blocked the only access road to the muffler shop. Marvin petitioned to stop the construction to no avail. Petitioned to construct a new access road, and even bought the heavy machinery to do so himself. Denied.

The concrete factory went up in disregard to the ramifications on Marvin's business. To add insult to injury, the factory construction disconnected the muffler shop from the city sewage lines. An indifferent city government then chose to fine Marvin for this.

His business and livelihood were in ruin. Rather than lie down and die, Marvin chose to fight back. Over the course of a year and a half Marvin secretly outfitted the bulldozer he bought to save his business with three foot thick steel and concrete armor, camera systems guarded with bulletproof glass.

On June 4th 2004 Marvin Heemeyer lowered the armored shell over top of himself, entombing himself inside the Killdozer to make his last stand.
He burst fourth from the walls of his muffler shop and straight into the concrete factory that ruined his business. Over the course of the next several hours Marvin drove his Killdozer through 13 buildings owned by those officials that had wronged him, including the city council building itself.

Swat teams swarmed the dozer, but it proved immune to small arms fire and even explosives. Another piece of heavy machinery was even brought out to fight the Killdozer, but it too fell to the dozers righteous fury.

In the end, Marvin's Killdozer became trapped in one of the buildings it was built to destroy. Marvin chose to take his life, the only life he took that day.

Today we celebrate Killdozer day and Marvin Heemeyer, the last great American folk hero. A man driven to the brink who chose to fight back against an indifferent system.

From notes left behind after his passing:
"I was always willing to be reasonable until I had to be unreasonable. Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."

When injustice becomes the law, resistance becomes duty

Really surprised nobody has made a movie about this.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hate the killdoze, love the killdozer.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Shut up Meg posted:

Oh yes: man was a shithead for sure, but you can't argue he made a hell of a machine.

one of my favorite details of the killdozer is he plumbed air hoses to nozzles facing the camera lens covers to remove debris that would have blocked them during the rampage. armoring the exhaust stack, welding himself in, rifle ports, etc--dude really took into account a lot of design considerations most crazy people would have overlooked.

i wonder how the radiator blew. unless he really just didn't adequately protect the undercarriage and it got ripped open, which is how it looks and is also how it was reported. a shame really. i hope the next guy relocates the radiator

truly a remarkable achievement in redneck engineering, regardless

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
an inspiration to us all

how do bulldozers do against marble neoclassical greek revival architectures by the way asking for a friend

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Local libertarian attempts vehicular murder suicide

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

This forums dark libertarian past is showing

A lot of us were kids with misplaced aggression and a hatred for authority. Now we're tired old men that don't agree with his reasoning but can drink a beer to his methods

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

HELL YEAH

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Getting fed up dealing with The Man is a commonality that transcends superficial political divides and reaches right to the heart of our shared thirst for freedom

feller
Jul 5, 2006

sweet thursday posted:

A lot of us were kids with misplaced aggression and a hatred for authority. Now we're tired old men that don't agree with his reasoning but can drink a beer to his methods

I’ll drink a beer to anything

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

MightyJoe36 posted:

Dude in San Diego stole a tank from the Army National Guard. Ended up being shot by a cop who crawled up on the turret and opened up the hatch.
I know the US military has the 'made by the lowest bidder' mindset, but I am guessing that most tanks can't be defeated by opening a door handle and shooting the driver with a pistol.

eighty-four merc posted:

one of my favorite details of the killdozer is he plumbed air hoses to nozzles facing the camera lens covers to remove debris that would have blocked them during the rampage.
That's the kind of thing I wouldn't consider, get blinded by road dust, drive into a solid wall and get shot while I climbed over it with a handful of kleenex.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Wait killdozer and Tiananmen Square were on the same day

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
A bunch of stuff getting destroyed is an okay prize to pay for the death of one small business owner (who had mostly lashed out at other small business owners). Nobody got hurt who didn't deserve getting hurt, so the whole thing owns.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
The dozer overheated because the engine wasn't powerful enough. Also he didn't weld himself in

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
He Killdozed for our Sins

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

I’ll drink a beer to anything

Hell, I'll drink to that

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The original thread had videos made with We're not gonna take it as the soundtrack and Killdozer Haikus.

I remember one ended with "Granby town is rubble" but try as I might I can't dig it up in archive.org or anything. Is the original Killdozer thread still buried on the forums somewhere?

Heemeyer wasn't perfect but drat if this wasn't his song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9AbeALNVkk

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Big Dick Cheney posted:

The dozer overheated because the engine wasn't powerful enough.

i doubt it

i mean, yeah: ideally it would've been a d9 or something else bigger than what he had. but we can't know why the engine overheated exactly, because the information is unavailable. but from the footage, something either was damaged or blew when he was loving up the hardware store, and we can see that from the steam billowing out from engine bay

if it blew on its own (ie not from a tank getting punctured) i think it's more likely that it was from radiator not getting adequate air flow, engine compartment not dissipating heat well through the armor, water pump not pushing enough water at low rpms for what he was doing--poo poo like that

so next guy needs to, what, use a bigger dozer, relocate the radiator, probably install additional/upgraded cooling fans, water jets to spray the radiator fins, an intercooler, w/m injection, maybe slot the plating to accomodate the air flow, put a smaller pulley on the water pump, not get high centered in a basement, idk what i'm missing but i'm sure more improvements could get made

quote:

Also he didn't weld himself in

oh i didn't know he lowered the enclosure over himself. that's pretty sick tbh

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

eighty-four merc posted:

so next guy needs to, what, use a bigger dozer, relocate the radiator, probably install additional/upgraded cooling fans, water jets to spray the radiator fins, an intercooler, w/m injection, maybe slot the plating to accomodate the air flow, put a smaller pulley on the water pump, not get high centered in a basement, idk what i'm missing but i'm sure more improvements could get made

Not emptyquoting. :killdozer:

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Shut up Meg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU

Poop really plays a central role in this story.

Thanks! This is video does a really good job of providing some sensible context.

eighty-four merc posted:

one of my favorite details of the killdozer is he plumbed air hoses to nozzles facing the camera lens covers to remove debris that would have blocked them during the rampage. armoring the exhaust stack, welding himself in, rifle ports, etc--dude really took into account a lot of design considerations most crazy people would have overlooked.

i wonder how the radiator blew. unless he really just didn't adequately protect the undercarriage and it got ripped open, which is how it looks and is also how it was reported. a shame really. i hope the next guy relocates the radiator

truly a remarkable achievement in redneck engineering, regardless

Radiators need air flow so they are always the weak spot of any kind of murder machine, even the Death Star!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I recently had workplace active shooter training lead by a swat officer who responded to Columbine, Aurora, and the Granby Killdozer. He lamented, as all cops do, about the destruction of private property that happened that day.

During the talk he stressed the importance of paying attention to people's behavior and the role that plays in preventing shootings. By way of example, he said that the Granby dude would, for the entire time he was working on the killdozer, respond to "what are you up to today?" with "building my coffin" and no one was ever thought "huh, that's a weird loving thing for a publicly aggrieved person to say" and like... ask him if he's alright.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYfJuW282_I

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Riatsala posted:

I recently had workplace active shooter training lead by a swat officer who responded to Columbine, Aurora, and the Granby Killdozer. He lamented, as all cops do, about the destruction of private property that happened that day.

During the talk he stressed the importance of paying attention to people's behavior and the role that plays in preventing shootings. By way of example, he said that the Granby dude would, for the entire time he was working on the killdozer, respond to "what are you up to today?" with "building my coffin" and no one was ever thought "huh, that's a weird loving thing for a publicly aggrieved person to say" and like... ask him if he's alright.

That being said, it was one rad coffin.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

eighty-four merc posted:

oh i didn't know he lowered the enclosure over himself. that's pretty sick tbh

He didn’t (although that seems to be part of the legend). The one video posted earlier claims he had a port hole and could have easily gotten out of the killdozer if he wanted to.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

You can’t dorner the dozer.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MightyJoe36 posted:

I was stationed at Camp Pendleton (north San Diego county) at the time. I was a tank and armored vehicle crewman.

The guy who stole the tank was a former National Guard tanker, so he knew how to drive. He just wasn't very good at it; he managed to wedge the tank onto a concrete highway median and high-center it. (His mistake was crossing it at an angle, if he'd gone at it straight on he could have gotten over it.)

He was in the middle of trying to get himself off the median when, like you said, a cop got on top of the tank and pried open a hatch. It is my understanding that the cop was himself a former armor crewman, so he knew how to to this (there's a technique to it).

My unit (3rd Armored Assault Battalion (USMC)) got some phone calls from the police that day. I wasn't on the call (obviously, I was just a sergeant) but from what I heard the police were asking our command "so how do we stop a tank anyway?" I don't know what they worked out. I suspect that they wouldn't have sent our tanks after it - a tank shootout in city streets is a bad idea. They also probably wouldn't sent a helicopter, as there's too much potential for hitting something else. But I could see them sending a humvee with a TOW (anti-tank missile) team after it.

Shut up Meg posted:

I know the US military has the 'made by the lowest bidder' mindset, but I am guessing that most tanks can't be defeated by opening a door handle and shooting the driver with a pistol.

Real tanks in combat can shoot at things. That is, one of their best tools for keeping the enemy away from them is to shoot them.

Tanks aren't stored with the machineguns mounted or any ammo aboard, so when the guy stole the tank it didn't come with any ammunition. This meant the cops could follow him closely and wait for him to screw up, which they did.

Hatches are locked from the inside. There's a handle that swings in to close the hatch, and you lock it by swinging a little bar in place to keep it from being pulled open. If you've got a crowbar and a bit of time it would be possible to break it open. (Don't count on doing this in combat; if you get near a tank it will call "scratch my back" over the radio and every other tank nearby will spray it with machinegun fire to keep the enemy away/off of the tank.)

Edit: Video of the stolen tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmFiZoe-7P4

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 6, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cessna posted:

Hatches are locked from the inside. There's a handle that swings in to close the hatch, and you lock it by swinging a little bar in place to keep it from being pulled open. If you've got a crowbar and a bit of time it would be possible to break it open. (Don't count on doing this in combat; if you get near a tank it will call "scratch my back" over the radio and every other tank nearby will spray it with machinegun fire to keep the enemy away/off of the tank.)

Edit: Video of the stolen tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmFiZoe-7P4

Owns a lot, thanks for the info

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What about molotovs? IIRC they would throw those on top of tanks and I guess the flaming fuel would seep in somehow.

I also remember a scene in I think, Saving Private Ryan, where they opened a German tank's hatch and shot everyone inside, but that was A. a movie B. if it happened they got lucky because someone forgot to lock it I guess.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

skooma512 posted:

What about molotovs?

I suppose it would stop the tank eventually, but burning a guy to death on live tv makes for bad PR.

skooma512 posted:

I also remember a scene in I think, Saving Private Ryan, where they opened a German tank's hatch and shot everyone inside, but that was A. a movie B. if it happened they got lucky because someone forgot to lock it I guess.

I don't know how German tank hatches were secured.

Also, you don't always want your hatches locked - what if you have to get out in a hurry?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Cool, that is very interesting, thanks.

Cessna posted:

Hatches are locked from the inside. There's a handle that swings in to close the hatch, and you lock it by swinging a little bar in place to keep it from being pulled open. If you've got a crowbar and a bit of time it would be possible to break it open.
I get your explanation, but I still find it odd that something that is designed to be a really, really effective safe can be opened by someone with a bit of bent metal and some determination.

Cessna posted:

(Don't count on doing this in combat; if you get near a tank it will call "scratch my back" over the radio and every other tank nearby will spray it with machinegun fire to keep the enemy away/off of the tank.)
This is my favourite fact of the week and I will never, ever forget it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Cessna posted:

Also, you don't always want your hatches locked - what if you have to get out in a hurry?

I'm no big-time big-city tankologist, but if I were designing a tank hatch it would absolutely be locked as hell from the inside to prevent someone climbing on top and dropping a grenade inside which would, I imagine, just ruin the tank crew's whole day

On the other hand, common sense tank design gets you WW1 type tanks, ie poo poo that will 100% kill your own soldiers faster than the enemy