Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ratbert90 posted:

You should confront your boss on him going behind your back and talking poo poo about you to your coworkers. Or better yet, talk to his boss about it.

this kinda hard power poo poo doesn't work for women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would highly recommend you document everything. You may have no intention to use it now, but you don't know what will happen in the future and if something comes up documenting everything then may be hard or impossible. For example you have access to slack conversations with both your manager and coworkers now that you could lose access to.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If someone has revealed themselves to be a prejudicial rear end in a top hat, it would behoove you to believe them. Confronting them might resolve the issue, or it might make it much worse and more covert. If I was LGBT I personally would probably also be thinking very carefully about whether to take it to the next level. But yes documenting it is important at the very least.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i do keep a trove of documentation so no worries there. I'd just rather focus my energy in finding a new job to move forward into than having a standoff with a toxic group.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
well with apple on your resume you'll have your pick of lovely startups or another FAANG!!! the world's your oyster

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

jit bull transpile posted:

this kinda hard power poo poo doesn't work for women

While talking with my SO about this kind of stuff, we both started looking into how this works as a gendered thing and so looked for books on the topic. We found the most highly recommended book on this topic is "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office". It is OK about introducing that women need to ask for more, but also does not say (often) that "guys are inherently biased against this for a ton of reasons". She has since found a much better job and negotiated into actually being paid well from taking this book's advice.

I have been trying to think of better approaches than this in the same kind of context, but I'm stupid so I can't. I would like men to be less inclined to manage/act like this, and for poo poo to be less systematically stacked against anyone who is not a white man, but the aggressive line can work.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the talent deficit posted:

suing for workplace discrimination or harassment is something only people who have never had to deal with it suggest

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yeah I'm focusing on an internal transfer right now. I uprooted my family to work here and I'm not quite ready to throw my hands up entirely.

hey you gotta focus on you

if an internal transfer gives you time to lick your wounds without loving up your family situation, that's a no-brainer. good on you

the danger, such as it is, is that an internal transfer without a promotion or significant raise is basically starting the clock over at that job. it's like you start again. for good or ill

hopefully you are getting out from under that shithead soon enough that not much career time is lost, or your connections inside the firm are valuable enough to justify time otherwise wasted

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
internal transfers can work out. i transferred away from a loving terrible boss and was promo'd within a year under new boss. the tricky part is finding a new boss that doesn't suck.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

that's always the tricky part

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

sitting on a plane to spend the day with the ceo, cto, and cpo of a start up after the ceo reached out to me asking if I would be “receptive to a conversation” about how to help his company crack the enterprise market. its my first startup investigation after making a small name for myself in enterprise initiatives in my space, so thanks for the startup questions so I don’t sound like an idiot. problem is I don’t think they could match my current comp, and though they have an established customer base and revenue stream, and their product is in a space that is about to grow significantly for enterprise use cases IMO, i don’t think i would take a pay cut nor ditch my current, pretty deece job. maybe they will surprise me and offer me something like $250 base and equity- but since i am sitting on a delta economy flight for the day trip out, and I have to arrange my own transport to their hq, i don’t think they could manage such an offer.

or maybe they are smart on their expenditures and actually spend where to counts. tbd.

and since when it rains it pours, my old VP reached out to me with a senior director role at a fortune 100, giving me full reign of my space there to transform it as i see fit based on what he has seen my do at the companies i went to when i left him about 6 years ago. downside- Dallas, Texas. but that one could have major figgie potential since they want exactly what i am selling, badly. but loving Texas.

no harm in hearing them out.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

not from first hand experience but a lot of people i know have said that texas cities are p dece as far as cities go

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

raminasi posted:

do what you gotta do

which might be leaking or whistleblowing in addition to making money

hmm now im wondering what kind of insider threat program uber runs

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
dallas sucks.
houston is worse.
austin is p deece.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fiedler posted:

dallas sucks.
houston is worse.
austin is p deece.
houston is the worst major city i ever visited

ive heard san antonio is ok

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
how long does Austin have before its completely overrun by the failsons of silicon valley

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

dragon enthusiast posted:

how long does Austin have before its completely overrun by the failsons of silicon valley

funny that you think this is an event that lies in the future

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Rex-Goliath posted:

not from first hand experience but a lot of people i know have said that texas cities are p dece as far as cities go

all of them except dallas are pretty dece

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

funny that you think this is an event that lies in the future

yeah it was when all the ex compaq and dell folks went back to texas from the bay in 2002

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

-1 years

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ya everyone at my gym wears t-shirts with some combo of at least "Hub" ".ly" and/or a cloud logo somewhere on it

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
rip, what's the next city to get turbofucked by tech

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

if it didn't have tech companies you wouldn't be considering a move there.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
pro: having unlimited jobs to pick from and therefore near guaranteed financial security in a time when almost no one in this country or world has this
cons: surrounded by people that share my interests, personality, and career choice aka NERDS!!!!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Flat Daddy posted:

pro: having unlimited jobs to pick from and therefore near guaranteed financial security in a time when almost no one in this country or world has this
cons: surrounded by people that share my interests, personality, and career choice aka NERDS!!!!

this, but unironically

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
having trouble finding entry level computer jobs on the usual boards. their mostly classified as "new grad" positions which i am not. either my resume is real bad or I have to accept that employers wont waste their time until I complete my degree next year. job boards keep trying to steer me to cnc jobs instead which is demoralizing. my company does literally nothing with computers it seems so a transfer is unlikely.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If you've got no experience consider a short term contract to get something on the resume. You will get much better opportunities after that

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
ive been applying for internships but i flim flam on if i would actually take one cause it would require leaving a stable job with great benefits for a three month contract. it seems like a can't have my cake and eat it too situation

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Milwaukee.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pittsburgh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
now coming to a rustbelt shithole near you: skyrocketing ernts without any general improvement in the economic situation

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
just got laid off today :owned:

if anyone needs a ~2.5 year experience dev in mostly QA/automation, would appreciate any leads :love:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
doing an onsite on Monday. first time in my 11 year career doing a real rear end 4+ hour onsite interview. all my interviews have been jokes so far.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Had an on-site today. The interviewer told me that whiteboarding was BS and he hated it, so he made me do a whiteboard exercise.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I hosted a gender inclusive app design panel at wwdc today and felt so happy and in my element. I am now trying to figure out how to make that my real job.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Flat Daddy posted:

i don’t like being around me so of course I don’t want to be around other people like me

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That sounds great, jbt

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Fiedler posted:

dallas sucks.
houston is worse.
austin is p deece.
The only reason people are living in Houston is because they keep letting people build houses there.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hey if anyone's looking for a job (remote or SF) working on open sores in the monitoring/observability space pm me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

I hosted a gender inclusive app design panel at wwdc today and felt so happy and in my element. I am now trying to figure out how to make that my real job.

thought leader material right here