Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

spacetoaster posted:

Really depends. There's a blank gi on Amazon that I buy two sizes too large and it shrinks down to fit my chest/shoulders perfectly, but the sleeves are just too long (even after shrinking).

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07466JN8X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
What size do you get, and what measurements are you? It's always puzzled me that something as crucial to technique and fit as a gi doesn't come with way more measurements.

quote:

Whether you try the "buy a larger gi and shrink it down" technique or not, you'll be well served to have a local sewing shop fix it up for you.
If it's resizing the sleeves, my wife should be able to to it on her sewing machine. I think she has some pretty heavy duty thread for upholstery applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math1as
Apr 27, 2019

beaucoup dinky dau
Remember “Stam” from Buffalo girls?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjZqB-wN-kc

Well, Stam aka Stamp Fairtex is now the
#1 World champion in Muay Thai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ewC52btT9Y

source:
https://8limbsus.com/muay-thai-thailand/stam-child-fighter-from-the-film-buffalo-girls-fighting-fight-video

Math1as fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 22, 2019

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Welcome to the dark side kimbo :getin:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If I were to practice judo again, I wouldn't buy a white gi, they are a chore to keep clean and removing blood stains is a pain in the rear end.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

What size do you get, and what measurements are you? It's always puzzled me that something as crucial to technique and fit as a gi doesn't come with way more measurements.

If it's resizing the sleeves, my wife should be able to to it on her sewing machine. I think she has some pretty heavy duty thread for upholstery applications.

I'm 5'9" and 205 pounds. Off the rack I can use an A2 sized gi.

With the blank gi I linked, I buy the A4 and it shrinks down to fit me (except for the sleeves being too long).

Not tight enough for competition, but definitely fits well enough for class.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

If I were to practice judo again, I wouldn't buy a white gi, they are a chore to keep clean and removing blood stains is a pain in the rear end.

The gym is fairly particular about it, saying that you don't get a blue gi until you're competing in a colored belt.
I've only seen black and brown belts in class, and some of them do roll in their competition gis.

"COMPETITOR NAME
COUNTRY"
tags on the back are the judo equivalent of BJJ patches.

spacetoaster posted:

I'm 5'9" and 205 pounds.
With the blank gi I linked, I buy the A4 and it shrinks down to fit me (except for the sleeves being too long).

When you say too long, for BJJ? Judo rules are sleeve to the bone on the wrist, which maybe dovetails with the shorter reqs in BJJ?
My wingspan is 73", so a little longer than my height of 5'10", and mostly in the arms, not across the shoulders, and most clothing tends to have short sleeves for me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

When you say too long, for BJJ? Judo rules are sleeve to the bone on the wrist, which maybe dovetails with the shorter reqs in BJJ?
My wingspan is 73", so a little longer than my height of 5'10", and mostly in the arms, not across the shoulders, and most clothing tends to have short sleeves for me.

It goes almost to the tips of my fingers. I just have it hemmed.

Now, I'm doing BJJ and we like our stuff to be fitted as well as possible so nobody can really get a grip on us. I know nothing of Judo.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Xguard86 posted:

Is that due to the nature of judo? Harder on the body when you're thrown or requires everyone to be close to the same fitness? I've heard kinda similar stuff from judo guys so def seems like a thing.

but bjj and judo used to be almost the same thing, I wonder if judo rule changes have had some unintended effects.

I don't really know. I have a few theories based on the small number of clubs I've trained at long term, and the slightly larger number of clubs I'm loosely associated with. I think it's a bit of a chicken/egg thing, and I'm not sure which is the cause and the effect, but really it comes down to numbers and retention.

My first club was somewhat of a judo oasis, lots of dedicated coaching talent in an area that shouldn't have it. This also meant lots of classes offered. When I started I had the opportunity to attend 2 beginner classes and one advanced class every week day, with additional advanced classes on the weekends. The beginner classes were of course mostly beginners, but we also had the olds/frails/hobbyists there, as well as a few brown/black belts who wanted to work fundamentals. The advanced class was 2 hours of pain. My current club, and most clubs I'm involved with now, offer maybe 3 practices a week, with only one type of class. The first club was HIGHLY competitive in the advanced classes, and the practices were quite large (for judo in America.). There was a constant churn of newly-promoted brown/black belts. My current club is decidedly more hobbyist. In the 8 years I've been here we've promoted a bunch of yellow/orange/green/blues, maybe 6 or 7 brown belts, ZERO black belts. Most of our practices are majority beginners, a few super out of shape guys, and a couple geriatrics. At almost 40 I'm the youngest black belt at my current UNIVERSITY club, which is shameful.

I think the real culprit is offering only 1 type of class. That means you're going to have total beginners, not-especially-athletic hobbyists, and competitive killers in the same practice. Most judo clubs are so desperate for members they'll do anything to avoid driving new people and hobbyists off. For an advanced player this means pulling back on throws, going easy (REALLY EASY) during sparring, and generally avoiding doing things that might injure or even intimidate new folks. I've been chastised by the head coach at my current club for sparring too hard with another black belt, because it was the beginning of the semester and he thought we were scaring the new guys. There's always going to be more beginners and hobbyists, so that's who the classes will cater to.

This is no fun for advanced/competitive players. We've had a few high level players come through over the years, they almost always disappear after a couple classes and I can't blame them. I think I only stick around out of pride and a sense of obligation to give back to a sport that's given me so much.

I think the reason it's so hard to go back the other way is that to do so you first need a core number of relatively advanced players, you need seperate practices where they can try to kill each other. Which, if you don't already have that core, means you need to recruit and retain a bunch of players through late brown/black, so you have the numbers to justify the space and extra practices. But if the only way to retain players is by making sure not to intimidate/injure them, will you ever get enough advanced players or will they start experiencing the same frustrations I do and go looking elsewhere?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kimbo305 posted:

Will a 1.5 weave gi hang dry enough in 48hrs? Or do you guys who train every other day buy two gi tops?

E: also, the real mystery isn't how to knot your belt, but how to keep your gi pants from slipping.
So, stupid but honest question that never occurred to me - do most people not wash their gi's/doboks after every class? I've literally never even thought of that before. I have 2 doboks that I wear interchangeably, and thinking of buying a 3rd because I typically train 3x per week and they are god drat SOAKED, liked drenched, absolutely sweat logged soaked after every class... especially lately because testing is coming up so they run/cardio the bag off us. I can't imagine the funk coming off them if they aren't washed after every class. It'd be worse than a hockey bag.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ihop posted:

I think the real culprit is offering only 1 type of class. That means you're going to have total beginners, not-especially-athletic hobbyists, and competitive killers in the same practice.

That's definitely my number one concern with this place -- a single adult class. Last session, the coach was nice enough to take the white belts aside for real basic stuff, but it's clear to me that not all classes are run that way.

I think my gripe about the higher belts having no gas is down to them conserving their precious sparring rounds for going hard with each other, and not having any to spare babysitting us.
As old.flv said, I'm a 30-50min drive away from Pedro's, which honestly is enough of a barrier for me to consider it.

One thing that's been interesting coming from "no gi" throws in sanshou -- having the gi to grip really opens up the level of variety and finesse. When your hands are in boxing gloves, you have to hunt for underhooks or backs of legs to get ahold of someone. Also, 80% of my throw repertoire involves you throwing your leg at me, so no good.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Pedro's also has Travis Stevens teaching bjj but the schedule seems limited from what I've seen. It's just too far considering Boston traffic. Faria has a gym too but Boxford may as well be in Kuwait.

Also Kimbo I could have sworn you were taller than me

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think I knew a few years into my serious training that I would never be someone to drive 30+min to get to better training opportunities. 30min on the subway would be a lot more palatable. Lucky enough to have multiple gyms in town that are easy enough to get to.
Only towards the end did I feel like I had maxed out the coaching ability of my gym.

old.flv posted:

Also Kimbo I could have sworn you were taller than me

Maybe cuz I had a bike helmet on the last time we met? Figured you for 6', 6'1".

e: w less than 12h to go, the gi is dry. So phew.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I think I knew a few years into my serious training that I would never be someone to drive 30+min to get to better training opportunities.

I figured that out about a week before I started training lol

Math1as
Apr 27, 2019

beaucoup dinky dau
Where can I buy shorts like these?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Math1as posted:

Where can I buy shorts like these?

Some similar ones here

https://muaythaistuff.com/collections/shorts/fairtex

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I need to get new Thai gloves, shins and mma training gloves soon. I had windy 14’s which I loved but have a hole and some broken stitching, cloth shins that my sparring partners hate and CSI gloves that were awesome. Unfortunately all of those are like 10 years old. I’d like to get similar stuff except i should probably get leather shins but money is tight, does anyone know of some good deals?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

I need to get new Thai gloves, shins and mma training gloves soon. I had windy 14’s which I loved but have a hole and some broken stitching, cloth shins that my sparring partners hate and CSI gloves that were awesome. Unfortunately all of those are like 10 years old. I’d like to get similar stuff except i should probably get leather shins but money is tight, does anyone know of some good deals?

I've found price to be pretty linear with durability.

I recommend Top King, and I dug up an old post explaining the velcro system on them:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790003&userid=118079&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post476906719
I dunno how to search for that one-piece strap style; some Fairtex shinguards use them as well. The two piece straps give you a better fit at the cost of having velcro hooks sitting on your skin. So in rulesets where your kicks can be caught and the shin guard dragged against your skin, I find that causes a lot of extra abrasion.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Question for the strikers in the thread: Thoughts on coming up on the balls of your feet when doing front snap kicks?

During a kid's class I was assisting with a few weeks ago I noticed one or two students coming up on the balls of their feet when doing snap kicks as part of an attempt to get higher kicks than their level of flexibility actually allows for. There were multiple other issues with their form that were all tied together (scrunching up the upper body, bending the planted leg too much to get the hips tilt enough for the kick) so I was pretty confident telling the students to keep the foot planted and the instructors backed me up on it. But I've caught myself and some of the students more senior than me coming up on the balls of their feet (but without the issues) and now I'm trying to figure out how big of an issue this really is.

Ninja Edit: For context, this is WTF-esque TKD.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

captkirk posted:

Question for the strikers in the thread: Thoughts on coming up on the balls of your feet when doing front snap kicks?

During a kid's class I was assisting with a few weeks ago I noticed one or two students coming up on the balls of their feet when doing snap kicks as part of an attempt to get higher kicks than their level of flexibility actually allows for. There were multiple other issues with their form that were all tied together (scrunching up the upper body, bending the planted leg too much to get the hips tilt enough for the kick) so I was pretty confident telling the students to keep the foot planted and the instructors backed me up on it. But I've caught myself and some of the students more senior than me coming up on the balls of their feet (but without the issues) and now I'm trying to figure out how big of an issue this really is.

Ninja Edit: For context, this is WTF-esque TKD.

IDK too much about TKD, but I do Muay Thai and I'm always on the balls of my feet when kicking (and whenever I'm moving around anyway).

In MT you're rotating your foot as you whip your leg around so it helps to be on the ball of your foot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't think it's a problem for a snap kick where you're not committing much of your weight forward and will be able to return to stance by lowering the foot down.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think it's a problem for a snap kick where you're not committing much of your weight forward and will be able to return to stance by lowering the foot down.

Is a TKD stance flat footed?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Is a TKD stance flat footed?

Maybe for the forms? I thought we were debating how high the heel comes up, not whether the heel should stay fully in contact with the ground.
The only kick I would throw with heel planted would be a really deep leg or body kick where I'm stepping forward and out a lot, and I stopped doing it that way cuz it hurt my knees too much.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Effortless technique
https://i.imgur.com/L3MHJRT.mp4

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"Oh my gosh! I totally didn't mean to KNEE YOU IN THE loving FACE WHILE PULLING YOUR HEAD DOWN INTO IT" *completely meant to do it*

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can I get recommendations for inexpensive mma gloves and shin guards? They're just for the gym and I don't want to spend extravagantly, but I also don't want to buy lovely products that either don't last or leave me unsatisfied. So, what's the Fuji Gi of mma gear?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can I get recommendations for inexpensive mma gloves

Do you want the puffy kind that are more padded?
I've found that fit varies enough that I won't put up with stuff that doesn't fit me well. Like there might be a cheap durable glove, but if I can't wear it comfortably, I have no choice but to try something else.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

Do you want the puffy kind that are more padded?

Normally, as in boxing, I'd say sparring = more padding, but we're primarily a jiu jitsu gym so maybe I need what are apparently called "grappling gloves"? I've been boxing 3 days a week with a guy and, as I've gotten more comfortable, he's mentioned transitioning to actual mma instead of my current method of separately learning jiu jitsu, boxing, and kick boxing.

I didn't really know about these two versions, maybe I need to ask at my gym first. I mostly see people wearing boxing or kick boxing gloves, I didn't pay enough attention the last time the mma amateurs and pros were working.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I mostly see people wearing boxing or kick boxing gloves, I didn't pay enough attention the last time the mma amateurs and pros were working.
Seems plausible for boxing gloves during MMA sparring if it's limited ruleset, where the lack of fingers wouldn't be super frustrating.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I've been back at Judo classes for about 2 months and I was hoping to get some advice. I'm still pretty bad, but I'm honestly not sure if I can improve. The sensei's are supportive and nice, I'm just struggling. When I learned to play Tennis we would focus on, say, forehand shots. He'd feed me forehands and correct every swing until I understood the mechanics and could do it in my sleep. Then we would hit a few thousand backhands and so on and so forth. And maybe that's considered spoonfeeding, but he would sit there with me correcting until I was good enough to start self correcting.

In Judo it seems to be more "Here's a throw, spend an hour or so on it. Next throw" then "Ok Randori go!" and I'm just flailing because I have no clue what I'm doing. It's a group class so I get occasional correction, but not much.

There is also a huge disconnect between Kata and Randori. I can do throws when uke lets me, but the moment there is resistance the whole things falls apart and I have no idea what to do. There is no training on throwing a resistant opponent aside from Randori. Trying to figure out why my throws aren't working while grip fighting and defending is too much at once.

I had a wonderful experience with a higher ranked student the other day. He would pin me then stop and say, "Ok you're pinned what do you do?. Look where you are and where I am. See my leg? That's your opening. Look for openings like that to work with." or "You turtled up so I do this, *flips me over and pins me*. Instead of turtling do this *shows cool move*."

TLDR: I'm having trouble learning Judo because I learn slowly in a very segmented sequential way. Learn part A, then B, then do A and B together, then C then A, B, and C together. Repeat each step until mastered. This is my first experience with martial arts so I'm starting from scratch. I'm wondering if there is hope or I'm just not cut out for Judo.

Travic fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 11, 2019

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Travic posted:

There is no training on throwing a resistant opponent aside from Randori.

Coming at this just from a BJJ perspective but not really sure how else you would train against a resisting opponent without sparring. Can you do specific sparring where you start standing until you or your partner is thrown then reset standing as opposed to moving into newaza or whatever?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Travic posted:

TLDR: I'm having trouble learning Judo because I learn slowly in a very segmented sequential way. Learn part A, then B, then do A and B together, then C then A, B, and C together. Repeat each step until mastered. This is my first experience with martial arts so I'm starting from scratch. I'm wondering if there is hope or I'm just not cut out for Judo.

This sounds super normal for someone at 2 months. Throwing people is very hard and takes a long time to learn, requiring lots of drilling and experimentation on your part to learn how to execute the technique in a live situation. Judo is not just a series of throwing techniques in a book, it's all the little stuff you have to learn how to do in between those techniques. Moving, gripping, pulling your opponent, and manipulating their balance to setup the technique. These things require play, experimentation, and a willingness to fail in order to be learned.

Think about it this way - most olympic judo players have 2 throws that they have spent their lifetime learning to execute. yes, they know more techniques, but they only functionally use 2 or maybe 3 techniques in their practice and competition.

It will likely take you a long time to throw someone cleanly in practice, and some time more before you can do it with regularity. Being engaged and thoughtful about that practice as you are so far is the most important thing in moving close to accomplishing that goal.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's 100% normal and there absolutely is hope. If you don't believe me, watch a fellow yellow belt do randori, they're gonna be just as bad as you are. :shobon:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

butros posted:

Coming at this just from a BJJ perspective but not really sure how else you would train against a resisting opponent without sparring. Can you do specific sparring where you start standing until you or your partner is thrown then reset standing as opposed to moving into newaza or whatever?

I admit that request won't make a lot of sense to other people. In Randori I'd try to throw someone and they'd block it. That means I did something wrong. But there's no time to stop and analyze what that was and try again.

It's basically the same sequential learning steps I'm used to. Learn a throw, get good at it in Kata, practice on someone who is blocking it but not attacking, practice on someone who is blocking while they try to throw me.

hi liter posted:

This sounds super normal for someone at 2 months. Throwing people is very hard and takes a long time to learn, requiring lots of drilling and experimentation on your part to learn how to execute the technique in a live situation. Judo is not just a series of throwing techniques in a book, it's all the little stuff you have to learn how to do in between those techniques. Moving, gripping, pulling your opponent, and manipulating their balance to setup the technique. These things require play, experimentation, and a willingness to fail in order to be learned.

Think about it this way - most olympic judo players have 2 throws that they have spent their lifetime learning to execute. yes, they know more techniques, but they only functionally use 2 or maybe 3 techniques in their practice and competition.

It will likely take you a long time to throw someone cleanly in practice, and some time more before you can do it with regularity. Being engaged and thoughtful about that practice as you are so far is the most important thing in moving close to accomplishing that goal.

Sorry I should have been clearer. I did Judo for about a year then got an unrelated injury and had to take 2-3 years off. I've been back at it for 2 months.

Heaven for me would be moving around with a tutor setting up opportunities and trying a throw, messing it up, then him/her saying "You messed up _____. Try again."

Travic fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 11, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Travic posted:

I admit that request won't make a lot of sense to other people. In Randori I'd try to throw someone and they'd block it. That means I did something wrong. But there's no time to stop and analyze what that was and try again.
The answer is always "you didn't get them off balance enough", and you'll never get that specific chance again. You need to learn to feel how the other guy is moving their body to make intelligent judo moves, and randori is the judo exercise for learning that particular sixth sense.

I think kung fu guys use pushing hands for that?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Siivola posted:

The answer is always "you didn't get them off balance enough", and you'll never get that specific chance again. You need to learn to feel how the other guy is moving their body to make intelligent judo moves, and randori is the judo exercise for learning that particular sixth sense.

I think kung fu guys use pushing hands for that?

Oh yes, I'm just wondering why I didn't get them off balance. I need someone to tell me what I failed to do. I was working on Osoto Gari last night for example. Was my elbow not tucked/did I not get around their hip far enough/was I lifting or pulling in the wrong direction/was my body not turned in the correct direction/were they in the wrong part of their step/too early/too late? Stuff like that. I know you can't see my technique I just hope someone takes pity on me at practice and tells me. :)

It's good to hear there is hope though. Thanks

Travic fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 11, 2019

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah judo has a very long and gradual learning curve, and everyone else is on it with you, which makes it hard to gauge progress. I probably didn't hit a proper osoto until close to a year in, and not consistently until MUCH later.

One thing that may help is, as someone else mentioned, pick a couple techniques you like and try to spend any free time working on those. Until you're at least a black belt class time should be split between learning a great variety of techniques, so you at least possess the knowledge, and developing a few techniques that you decided to focus on. The preferred techniques can and will change over time, but try to stick with one or two for at least 6 months. If your class allows undirected practice (like uchikomi or throwing practice of choice) make sure to practice the throws you want to be good at, not necessarily the throw of the day. When sparring make sure to attempt your preferred techniques at least once or twice per round, even if they fail miserably.

Along those lines, I found it very useful to develop counterpart throws where the defense against one makes uke more vulnerable to the other. Seoi nage/kouchi gari, uchi mata/ouchi gari, osoto/sasae. Try to make the initial entry into either technique look as similar as possible, that way uke has to make a defense decision (lean forward or lean backwards) before he/she has figured out what throw is coming.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Coming from striking, here's my assessment of judo technique drills so far:
- judo techniques start to finish are more mechanically complex. In kickboxing, you start out learning a jab and a front kick. In judo, even your most basic throws have multiple phases and momentum shifts
- because the move is longer start to finish, you get fewer iterations
- because of the momentum direction changes, less translates from when you go slowly and when you go at randori speed
- using a dummy isn't as effective as hitting a heavy bag. IOW, you get less out of solo practice

- my instructors have generally acknowledged that drill forms aren't what anyone uses in competition, but do want us adhering to drill form during... drills. The consequence is that you put a decent amount of effort into flourishes that you don't need during randori. I think starting from standard grips is the biggest obstacle I've faced in transitioning to randori -- the higher belts have way better sense and reaction and can block 95% of initiations just by countering my hand movements from the grip. So most of the time, my kuzushi attempts are way less successful and ramify into less effective movement for the rest of the technique

- a similar shortcoming is that I don't have a good sense yet of how to adjust/accomodate different body sizes. In a standard o-goshi, there's no prescription for how tilted uke's torso is when you enter and put your arm around their waist. Demonstrations between people of similar size have the uke more or less upright until the throw. When I got paired with a much bigger, fatter guy, I spent all this time trying to do the throw while letting his back stay straight. I just couldn't get my arm around his waist far enough and still get my hip over deep enough. When I asked, the sensei said, well, just tip him over more. It's obvious, but escaped mention as part of the default description of the technique.

At this particular gym, most of the feedback/correction comes from your higher belted partner, not the sensei. Some are really articulate, some are pretty bad at explaining technique issues.
Anyways, I have no complaints -- I've never been a super fast learner when it comes to kinesthetics, and I don't have any expectations for myself progresswise.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

Coming from striking, here's my assessment of judo technique drills so far:
- judo techniques start to finish are more mechanically complex. In kickboxing, you start out learning a jab and a front kick. In judo, even your most basic throws have multiple phases and momentum shifts
- because the move is longer start to finish, you get fewer iterations
- because of the momentum direction changes, less translates from when you go slowly and when you go at randori speed
- using a dummy isn't as effective as hitting a heavy bag. IOW, you get less out of solo practice

- my instructors have generally acknowledged that drill forms aren't what anyone uses in competition, but do want us adhering to drill form during... drills. The consequence is that you put a decent amount of effort into flourishes that you don't need during randori. I think starting from standard grips is the biggest obstacle I've faced in transitioning to randori -- the higher belts have way better sense and reaction and can block 95% of initiations just by countering my hand movements from the grip. So most of the time, my kuzushi attempts are way less successful and ramify into less effective movement for the rest of the technique

- a similar shortcoming is that I don't have a good sense yet of how to adjust/accomodate different body sizes. In a standard o-goshi, there's no prescription for how tilted uke's torso is when you enter and put your arm around their waist. Demonstrations between people of similar size have the uke more or less upright until the throw. When I got paired with a much bigger, fatter guy, I spent all this time trying to do the throw while letting his back stay straight. I just couldn't get my arm around his waist far enough and still get my hip over deep enough. When I asked, the sensei said, well, just tip him over more. It's obvious, but escaped mention as part of the default description of the technique.

At this particular gym, most of the feedback/correction comes from your higher belted partner, not the sensei. Some are really articulate, some are pretty bad at explaining technique issues.
Anyways, I have no complaints -- I've never been a super fast learner when it comes to kinesthetics, and I don't have any expectations for myself progresswise.

Expect to suck rear end for about 2 years, grappling is very hard and very complicated.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ihop posted:

Good advice

kimbo305 posted:

More good advice

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll keep at it, but I'm still pretty confused. My teachers have been saying similar things, "Come to class and play and you'll get there eventually." I just don't know how to fix something when I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :(. I may just not have the instincts to figure it out.

Travic fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Travic posted:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll keep at it, but I'm still pretty confused. My teachers have been saying similar things, "Come to class and play and you'll get there eventually." I just don't know how to fix something when I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :(.

How experienced in teaching are the black belts? It sounds like they know that grappling takes a while to learn, but don't have the knowledge base of where to correct you.

If you can, I would find someone of similar size and work through things slowly, asking them to resist enough that you can't immediately throw them. Move around, go in for a fit, figure out what you are doing wrong. Get a black belt to watch you if possible. If you can't throw them, try adjusting until you can. Get lower, move a foot, adjust your hips, etc. You brought up o-goshi, so try that. Practice where you are putting your feet and how far outside you are stepping. It may be that a couple of inches is making the difference. Remember that against bigger ukes, a lot of throws will be easier if you get them off balance first, so try a foot sweep and then going into the throw you actually expect to work.

Talk with your ukes as well, explain what techniques you want to work on and how you want them to resist. Some, especially lower belts, might be resisting too much for their skill level and not able to help you much, if you slow everything down usually they will be able to relax a bit. Technique should be developed before speed.