Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

PST posted:

I know I've seen a gif for it, but it's not the only possible representation of a trans person them in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QYpSM2SbS8&t=1092s

Might not be trans, might just be a guy calling himself Cindy, but it's at best a neutral, representation maybe conversing with them makes for a more positive representation (or shows that they're not trans) , but it was from last year''s demo and just a brief moment.

So the only two representation so far is a hyper-sexualized ad and a (presumably) drug dealer. loving lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

I'll never get over a bunch of North Americans lecturing a Polish group of artists how about how they're not being culturally sensitive enough about minorities and should definitely put in some "people of color" which is code for ethnic minorities in North America. The blind sanctimony of a bunch of foreigners lecturing these people about cultural sensitivity while demanding they change their artistic representation of minorities to reflect a foreign culture and not their own is astounding.

Like Poland doesn't have anything to say about ethnic strife. They don't know about that. It's not part of their cultural experience and their artists just aren't good enough to make art about it. They need a lecture from Americans.

amazing how bigots always have a history of being bigots lmao

oh drat you defend pedophiles too, double lmao

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

I might be flippant, insensitive etc. But I don't advocate rape unlike you.

i think every fascist on the planet should be killed in the most painful of ways over the longest period of time possible

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Themage posted:

yeah idgi, why would someone call you a racist

makes no sense

I keep getting probated for racism, why do people keep calling me racist???

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

As far as trans representation in the game goes, I'll do what I normally do and default to the affected parties opinions. It seems like most people are falling between not giving a poo poo and feeling it's fetishization but it's not like the trans folks here are losing their poo poo over it.

People can point out lovely things in media without it being a personal attack on you, a person who is enjoying that media. Unless I missed something, the trans people here in the thread are also going to be playing the game and poo poo. Society is a big fuckin place and lots of racist, sexist, etc poo poo works it's way into stuff people in those groups otherwise enjoy, but that for does not mean they have to keep quiet about it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

So the only two representation so far is a hyper-sexualized ad and a (presumably) drug dealer. loving lol.

Be fair, have we seen a single character in these videos that you couldn't post this reply about? Even the PC is a criminal

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

i think every fascist on the planet should be killed in the most painful of ways over the longest period of time possible

Fuckin hardcore!!!!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Chalks posted:

Be fair, have we seen a single character in these videos that you couldn't post this reply about? Even the PC is a criminal

The LGBT community has a huge problem with drug abuse/drug addiction.

It's also 2 for 2 on trans people being portrayed in a negative light.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Agnosticnixie posted:

The common cliche for younger especially het and bi trans women tends to be both oversexed and based on tricking men. It hits the first part but honestly I think the second is dabatable (it's voyeuristic for sure but in a way that's sexualizing whereas the cliche usually... is not) at best. 90s media really loving loved it but like you still get this poo poo in the IT crowd because the main writer finds this kind of transphobia hilarious.

Maybe it's that way because of the media that is put out there for the masses to consume?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Chalks posted:

To be clear, this is in response to someone saying that it's categorically the only representation, not that they'd simply not shown any other representations yet:

that's the thing though, no one has been stating that there's no other representation in the entirety of cyberpunk 2077, the conversation is about how the only trans person in all of the material shown so far is in a questionable ad

it looks pretty weird in the light of that interview claiming that there's a lot of genderqueer people in the world. if there's a lot, why not show some as characters so we can see how well cdpr can handle writing them

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tell me why I'm wrong. Why is it not gross hypocrisy to tell foreign people that their art needs to reflect American ideas of cultural sensitivity?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arglebargle III posted:

Tell me why I'm wrong. Why is it not gross hypocrisy to tell foreign people that their art needs to reflect American ideas of cultural sensitivity?

The game takes place in America.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dandywalken posted:

Fuckin hardcore!!!!

yeah man, only fuckin losers care about actual nazis coming into power amirite fellow gamers

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This thread needs to cool down while I read the sudden influx of slapfighting.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK, so some probations have been queued.

This topic is contentious and for good reason. CDPR had bad interactions on twitter and it is natural that this might sour transfolk and leave them wary. They are persecuted enough as it is and can rightfully be suspicious and criticise a poster.

Just because they are criticising an aspect of the game does not mean you get to tell them they are wrong or overblowing things. Transfolk deal with this on a near daily basis if they have an online presence and it sucks so very much for them in ways most of us will never know.

The comments from the art director are hopefully positive and we can have hope for the game being more respectful than it seemed, but if a transperson talks about depictions involving them they have every right to be as honest and truthful as they wish.

Cyberpunk is supposed to deal with the issues of body modification and commodification of gender/sexuality but can only be as good as the writing. CDPR have to earn back that benefit of the doubt for a lot of people and we cannot be sure if they have done yet.

I am going to be sticking to this thread from now on.

The probations were light, but any more drivebys, bad faith arguing or outright transphobia/bad faith discussions of the very real issues, will get harsher.

We can be respectful in this forum when we discuss real life issues and we have to be. We have to be better than the majority of society.

I will reopen the thread shortly and I hope to see better posting.

Thank you kindly everyone!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Wow I was off by several orders of magnitude

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I think this game will be pretty good and hopefully lives up to everyone's expectations.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I look forward to this video game and hope my time spent playing it will be enjoyable.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Molothecat posted:

I look forward to this video game and hope my time spent playing it will be enjoyable.

Well gently caress you buddy

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

so I hear you can hack boxing robots and make them box people to death in this game c/d

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
New interview with Keanu about the role. He has a really odd cadence to his speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek-5vIz_gDw

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Whatever PoV you support: Good job on the mods for putting on the brakes. Let's at the very least keep civil, it's the least we can do as one of the last sane old-ish internet communities.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I wonder if I can use the character creator to make V look like Geralt or better yet Ciri.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dude with seventeen billion probations for calling obama the n-word: oh? So you think all countries subscribe to the imperialist american dogma of thinking transpeople are human?

Videogames: lets probate this guy for five minutes and send an apology letter for doing that to his grandma, because im sure she thinks hes a very sweet boy

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I haven't checked this forum in a while, but saw the e3 trailer for this game and decided to pop in and see what everyone is saying about this highly anticipated video game.

I thought I accidentally walked into some evangelical church for some strange cult. Lmao lighten up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

OhFunny posted:

I wonder if I can use the character creator to make V look like Geralt or better yet Ciri.

It might be like Mass Effect where you can change your appearance, but it just won't feel right if you do.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mike the TV posted:

It might be like Mass Effect where you can change your appearance, but it just won't feel right if you do.

I did play through Mass Effect with a custom appearance. Bioware thought it was so bad they didn't allow me to import it to Mass Effect 3.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I wonder what the combat is like, looking forward to more details on that. The stuff we saw a year ago seemed kinda bland mechanics-wise so hopefully it'll be more fleshed out.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

kickascii posted:

Lmao lighten up
Lighten up about what, exactly?

^^^

jaete posted:

I wonder what the combat is like, looking forward to more details on that. The stuff we saw a year ago seemed kinda bland mechanics-wise so hopefully it'll be more fleshed out.

While the RPS article is all over the place for other issues, the one game-mechanic criticism it had of the feel of playing it was with shooting mechanics, which i can understand based on last year's trailer which in terms of viewing that video felt a bit soft/unresponsive. Maybe as more people/goons who've commented above, who've had a chance to play it we'll have a better understanding.

At the moment it looks like an awesome rpg, with great world building and options of 'solve how you want' but the actual combat feel might not be the best, which is in itself hard to say because what's it comparing to, alpha protocol verus rainbow six versus fortnight etc. it needs a better 'this is what it feels like' comparison.

Also how the ' you can sneak/stealth/never have to kill anyone' interacts with the somewhat emphasis on boss fights is unclear. Maybe they mean everything but boss fights (Square Enix/Eidos made a similar claim for Deus Ex Mankind and then you still had to fight every boss fight) or there are ways to bypass everything, still unclear probably until release.

PST fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 12, 2019

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

jaete posted:

I really hate this closed door crap. I don't want to watch/listen to some pasty nerd describe what he half remember just show me some video

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Arglebargle III posted:

woah slow down there buster, what do polish people look like?

do they have huge cocks

Lets just say there's a reason the modern term is "pole" and not "polack" like it would be in polish.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Who else is excited to ride the motorcycle?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BexGu posted:

I really hate this closed door crap. I don't want to watch/listen to some pasty nerd describe what he half remember just show me some video

I'm with you, though they at least straight up said their motivation was they needed to save it for the next convention to build hype there. I think it's kind of stupid to show it behind closed doors in the first place if you're just going to sit on it for a couple months, but what can you do.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Frankston posted:

Who else is excited to ride the motorcycle?
John Wick 3 has him facing off against motorcycle ninja's so they better meet that high.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

PST posted:

Lighten up about what, exactly?

D+D forum leaking into the video game forum. It's much nicer here when people talk about the game in the OP rather than lecturing and doing political activism. Or maybe we should just contemplate how abortion access, possible reparations, exact gun laws, and what the tax structure will be in the world of Cyberpunk 2077 for the whole thread? How does Trump affect this game, anyway? Would Cyberpunk 2077 leave the European union? Let's figure it all out, everyone!

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I hope the time slow is a viable combat option, I've never not had fun in a bullet-time fight.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

OhFunny posted:

gently caress that, I'm making cyber yen

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kickascii posted:

D+D forum leaking into the video game forum. It's much nicer here when people talk about the game in the OP rather than lecturing and doing political activism. Or maybe we should just contemplate how abortion access, possible reparations, exact gun laws, and what the tax structure will be in the world of Cyberpunk 2077 for the whole thread? How does Trump affect this game, anyway? Would Cyberpunk 2077 leave the European union? Let's figure it all out, everyone!

imo there's nothing wrong with discussing representation/etc and the pros and cons people see in the way CDPR has handled it thus far, so long as it's done in a civil manner and we all realize that there's no way to make a fully formed stance on it until the full game is out.

But people being offended or not offended by it is fine. Just be nice about it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: The only way to win is to not play. How about a nice game of chess?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

BexGu posted:

They had a secret message in the trailer from CDPR. They apparently are going to post the footage in August and said its behind close doors to build hype.

I don't really understand the logic behind that, but marketing is a dark and arcane art. I dare not probe it's secrets.