Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Has is been mentioned anywhere if ray tracing is going to be in cyberpunk? Probably not, but imagine how good it would look with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Has is been mentioned anywhere if ray tracing is going to be in cyberpunk? Probably not, but imagine how good it would look with it.

ThatsBait.gif

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say no since it's on the current generation of consoles, but if it's also coming out on PC it's possible that either the devs (unlikely) or modders (very likely) will create some CPU-melting ray tracing updates

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

There's a gang called the Brady Bunch. It's what it sounds like it is.

Night City has some crazy poo poo in it and I'm very interested to see how much of that makes it into the game.

Fighting the Seinfeld, Frasier and Home Improvement gangs will be wild.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

:chloe:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Nm

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol at the thread score going from 4 to 2.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean its probably the most circular discussion happening in this sub ATM it’s not surprising.

The idea that a developer has to accumulate an inventory of goodwill to try and explore or express something artistically is BONKERS.

Like how sad is it that we have an actual dev from The Witcher 3 and Cyberdong 2069 but they’ve only popped in twice in the last year just to say that they can’t post here because it’s just a dumpster fire of shitslinging and arguments being made in bad faith?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

Yes. Very much so. Here is Gibson in 2001 reflecting on 20 years of mining Japan for ~the future~.
https://www.wired.com/2001/09/gibson/ (Published September 1 2001, just days before the series of events that would transform his next series of novels)

And then there is this gem, which is Gibson visiting Singapore in 1993 to interpret it through a cyberpunk author's eyes.
DISNEYLAND WITH THE DEATH PENALTY: https://www.wired.com/1993/04/gibson-2/

quote:

Was it Laurie Anderson who said that VR would never look real until they learned how to put some dirt in it? Singapore's airport, the Changi Airtropolis, seemed to possess no more resolution than some early VPL world. There was no dirt whatsoever; no muss, no furred fractal edge to things. Outside, the organic, florid as ever in the tropics, had been gardened into brilliant green, and all-too-perfect examples of itself. Only the clouds were feathered with chaos—weird columnar structures towering above the Strait of China.

quote:

Singapore is a relentlessly G-rated experience, micromanaged by a state that has the look and feel of a very large corporation. If IBM had ever bothered to actually possess a physical country, that country might have had a lot in common with Singapore. There's a certain white-shirted constraint, an absolute humorlessness in the way Singapore Ltd. operates; conformity here is the prime directive, and the fuzzier brands of creativity are in extremely short supply.

There is no slack in Singapore. Imagine an Asian version of Zurich operating as an offshore capsule at the foot of Malaysia; an affluent microcosm whose citizens inhabit something that feels like, well, Disneyland. Disneyland with the death penalty.

But Disneyland wasn't built atop an equally peculiar 19th-century theme park—something constructed to meet both the romantic longings and purely mercantile needs of the British Empire. Modern Singapore was—bits of the Victorian construct, dressed in spanking-fresh paint, protrude at quaint angles from the white-flanked glitter of the neo-Gernsbackian metropolis. These few very deliberate fragments of historical texture serve as a reminder of just how deliciously odd an entrepot Singapore once was—a product of Empire kinkier even than Hong Kong.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The idea that a developer has to accumulate an inventory of goodwill to try and explore or express something artistically is BONKERS.

They don't have to accumulate an inventory of goodwill to try and explore or express something, but they absolutely need to not have accumulated previous ill will if they want people to give them the benefit of the doubt when they display a borderline offensive take on a topic. CDPR have a track record of lovely takes on trans issues, and it's really bizarre anyone is surprised that trans people aren't exactly immediately sold by the art director trying to brush the issue off as being okay in context. Maybe it will be! I'm not gonna pre-emptively boycott the game based on what I've seen so far.

But I'm also not inclined to just take their word on how they've actually got a better and more nuanced portrayal of trans people in the game when they have completely failed to actually show any of that, but instead opted for displaying the fetishy chick-with-a-dick advert center screen in one of their big promo screenshots.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's a game where you shoot people with neon guns.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm not gonna pre-emptively boycott the game based on what I've seen so far.
Nah, boycott it, that'll show them
boycott modern warfare 2.jpg

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Voting with your wallet has literally never worked in the history of video games.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it worked for artifact, lol

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
That's because the most vocal people on the internet do not represent the larger customer base

"internet people" are always in too deep

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean its probably the most circular discussion happening in this sub ATM it’s not surprising.

Like how sad is it that we have an actual dev from The Witcher 3 and Cyberdong 2069 but they’ve only popped in twice in the last year just to say that they can’t post here because it’s just a dumpster fire of shitslinging and arguments being made in bad faith?

TBF Comte can't tell us anything anyways. They usually don't talk about CDPR beyond vague generalities and anything interesting is under fifty layers of embargo. Whatever cool behind the scenes insights you're hoping for aren't on offer regardless.

And if the attempt to explore something artistically touches on members of an extremely maligned and exploited group, then people are going to question whether you're doing it right it or if your attempt at art is just one more instance of exploitation, and that's a fair question for discussion. Yeah it's circular and we lack all the info we need but that's also the case if you're debating what your favorite cyberarm implants are. We know virtually nothing about the game at this point.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Collapsing Farts posted:

That's because the most vocal people on the internet do not represent the larger customer base

"internet people" are always in too deep

Once you realize this and start applying it to most Twitter/Youtube comments, life because a helluva lot easier to live.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I’m assuming :thejoke:

But if it’s not specifically this reference it’s kind of an amazing accidental one

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Both quote and screenshot is from https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-partnership-ray-tracing/ by the way - the screenshot that started this 10000 post debate

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Who knew people were so passionate about ray tracing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

it worked for artifact, lol

Didn’t Artifact have a uniquely lovely P2W model, like the game cost money to play but then buying cards also cost money? I’ve been playing Magic my entire life and everyone talks about Artifact like it was DOA.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Who knew people were so passionate about ray tracing

Ray Tracing is actually the name of the model on the Mix-It-Up poster, we’ve all been had!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ugato posted:

I’m assuming :thejoke:

But if it’s not specifically this reference it’s kind of an amazing accidental one

um..It was a coincidence. I was wondering why people were getting so mad at my post. I just wanted to know if I should consider saving up for a new monitor/graphics card.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ray's got a pretty big schlong

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ufarn posted:

So, without getting into spoilers, don't you basically get to pick an idol during character creation where you can choose between three people: Good, Neutral, Evil, with Silverhand being on the Good end of the spectrum? That's how it used to be at least.

Meaning that you'd probably end up running into the two other folks - one way or another.

I thought the three heros were anticorp / neutral / corp

like the third guy is a "corporate god" right there on the selection screen. I will be interested to see if your hero pick changes your initial loadout. If you pick "corp god" or "solo of fortune" you maybe won't have the silverhand jacket we've seen so far.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CharlestonJew posted:

Ray's got a pretty big schlong

Hell yeah he can still sport wood!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

like the third guy is a "corporate god" right there on the selection screen. I will be interested to see if your hero pick changes your initial loadout. If you pick "corp god" or "solo of fortune" you maybe won't have the silverhand jacket we've seen so far.

I feel like picking a corp hero would have to mandate you start the game dressed in a cheap cybersuit with equally tacky shades.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Yeah, but in this setting corporations are 1,000% evil.

Just like real life. :ussr:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I could easily see picking corp in character creation edging your rep far enough in the other direction to make early situations like the 45 minute demo play out differently.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know who this Ray Tracing guy is supposed to be but there's enough celebrity cameos in this game already.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

I'd actually be really interesting if they cast actors for all three of these people, especially Morgan Blackhand (the Solo of Fortune). I don't think it's ever been stated what he actually looks like, because the dude is just so good at staying untraceable. The closest description to him is Mike Pondsmith commentating that he thinks Morgan would be an older white guy, the kind that can instantly blend in anywhere; even right after garroting some poor bastard in the middle of a street.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

After they made a lovely joke on Twitter and have shown exactly two trans characters thus far, one of which was a drug dealing ped and the other a pretty poo poo ad, yeah, they need good will if they want to talk about trans issues. Just going "No it's okay, gender discrimination doesn't happen in this world" isn't good enough, because if that were the case, we'd be seeing more characters across the spectrum in the game world and as players in the story. Saying the world is inclusive but doing nothing to show that is lazy and lovely.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

JBP posted:

I feel like picking a corp hero would have to mandate you start the game dressed in a cheap cybersuit with equally tacky shades.

same, it would have a heavy sony diskman type aesthetic instead of leather with those aircraft / mic style interconnects on the glowing collar.

Like if this fuckin thing were clothes. Maybe one of the earlier more audiophile looking versions.

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, but in this setting corporations are 1,000% evil.

Just like real life. :ussr:

:hmmyes:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'd actually be really interesting if they cast actors for all three of these people, especially Morgan Blackhand (the Solo of Fortune). I don't think it's ever been stated what he actually looks like, because the dude is just so good at staying untraceable. The closest description to him is Mike Pondsmith commentating that he thinks Morgan would be an older white guy, the kind that can instantly blend in anywhere; even right after garroting some poor bastard in the middle of a street.

It'd be cool but i'd really be surprised if they did. It'd basically be making 3 main quests, wouldn't it? Seems like having the other guys actually show up would have a shitload of a difference on the story, unless they played it out right.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

um..It was a coincidence. I was wondering why people were getting so mad at my post. I just wanted to know if I should consider saving up for a new monitor/graphics card.

They’re specifically working with nvidia on improving ray tracing tech, so yeah probably worth getting a new card for.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CascadeBeta posted:

After they made a lovely joke on Twitter and have shown exactly two trans characters thus far, one of which was a drug dealing ped and the other a pretty poo poo ad, yeah, they need good will if they want to talk about trans issues. Just going "No it's okay, gender discrimination doesn't happen in this world" isn't good enough, because if that were the case, we'd be seeing more characters across the spectrum in the game world and as players in the story. Saying the world is inclusive but doing nothing to show that is lazy and lovely.

It's one screenshot and they fired the idiot community guy. The artist explained the ad. I don't know what else you want they're not going to release the game 9 months early to try and justify a tech screenshot of an escalator.

E: also everyone should probably strap in, this world is going to be full of discrimination against everything because it's cyberpunk.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 13, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I can’t name my genderfluid hacker-mantis Ray Tracing then this game is the pinnacle failure of our society.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JBP posted:

It's one screenshot and they fired the idiot community guy. The artist explained the ad. I don't know what else you want they're not going to release the game 9 months early to try and justify a tech screenshot of an escalator.

E: also everyone should probably strap in, this world is going to be full of discrimination against everything because it's cyberpunk.

You can't just gleefully engage in the same behavior you're satirizing and call it a day. That's just bigotry.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
^^ Exactly!

JBP posted:

I've said what I want: if the game is truly inclusive becaus their game world doesn't discriminate against trans and nonbinary characters, then there should be characters across the gender spectrum everywhere in the game world and in the preview footage they've shown. But there aren't, it's a lot of telling but not a lot of showing which makes me feel like it's PR spin and not actually genuine. I'd love to be proven wrong, but nothing I've seen so far gives me hope. It's not that we're discriminated against, it's that we're invisible outside of a hypersexualized ad and a drug dealer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pylons posted:

You can't just gleefully engage in the same behavior you're satirizing and call it a day. That's just bigotry.

Is that what's happening? I don't know if that's what's happening. The artist, as usual these days, has had to come out and defend/explain their work. I'll just take them at their word that it's part of the setting's corporate criticism until I see the game and learn otherwise.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
How do you know who's trans and not, it's not like they wear a little trans-flag on their sleeve to indicate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CascadeBeta posted:

^^ Exactly!

I've said what I want: if the game is truly inclusive becaus their game world doesn't discriminate against trans and nonbinary characters, then there should be characters across the gender spectrum everywhere in the game world and in the preview footage they've shown. But there aren't, it's a lot of telling but not a lot of showing which makes me feel like it's PR spin and not actually genuine. I'd love to be proven wrong, but nothing I've seen so far gives me hope. It's not that we're discriminated against, it's that we're invisible outside of a hypersexualized ad and a drug dealer.

How would you tell who is trans and who isn't in their gameplay demo?