Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
In a world where you can have any body and appearance you want, the political landscape in terms of gender wouldn't be anything like we know it. It's just brains in machines

Most of the dudes you see could be women and vice versa. That kid over there could be an adult. That fuckin dog over there could be some guy tailing you

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Collapsing Farts posted:

In a world where you can have any body and appearance you want, there's really political landscape in terms of gender like we know it

Did you mean "no" political landscape as we know it? If so, that's part of the point I'm making.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think you can focus-test potentially offensive stereotypes as much as you want, it's not a bad thing to get feedback on elements you're unsure about, but the games industry won't really improve until it becomes more reflective of the populations games are written about, as well as the people who play them. If you want to write authentically about issues that affect a particularly marginalized group of people, then it would be in your best interests to actively employ a diverse workforce that can offer those perspectives with authenticity. Representation like allowing the player to select their pronouns and gender sliders is all well and good but it's not really changing anything if you're not also materially affecting who holds power and influence within the industry.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

chaosapiant posted:

1. It's relatively little demo footage and media that the game has had so far for a game that is likely 100+ hours long.
2. How do we know there aren't? If we assume that most people are altered in some way that, at least for myself, I wouldn't even assume gender anymore at that point. The word wouldn't have nearly the meaning it does now.

2. Is because of 1. We don't know because they haven't shown any. And they've been so tightly controlling what is shown to whom that if there was more representation in the game, they'd show it. So either that's not a priority for them, despite another pr blunder involving trans people, or there's not that much representation. Talk it cheap, they need to put up and show how they're better representing trans people.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pattonesque posted:

who would have thought we'd get that level of inclusion for a giant robot strategy game based on a 1980's tabletop milsim

Not just that, actually I'm pretty sure it lets you use any of the slider options on any of the face shapes, regardless of if you select he/she/they as your identifier. As near as I can tell none of the options are tagged male/female so you can make any combination you want of "masculine"/"feminine" or what have you. You can also change all your pilots any way you want too, except maybe the special ones that were put in for the game's Kickstarter backers. Heck, the voices are all just numbered rather than being separated as for male or female characters. Of course

Skippy McPants posted:

It probably helped that the lead game designer is trans, but yeah that was a nice touch.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Honestly disappointed we can't be a cyber-cop, specially considering the first ever teaser this game had

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CascadeBeta posted:

2. Is because of 1. We don't know because they haven't shown any. And they've been so tightly controlling what is shown to whom that if there was more representation in the game, they'd show it. So either that's not a priority for them, despite another pr blunder involving trans people, or there's not that much representation. Talk it cheap, they need to put up and show how they're better representing trans people.

How do we know that they haven't shown any? How do we know, for sure, that certain NPCs or background characters in the limited bit of media we've seen are not in fact trans characters?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

The_White_Crane posted:

:rolleyes:
I don't mean the game should contain a load of scenes of people going "Oh god I thought you were a woman!" and beating their girlfriend up for being trans, I mean that it should take (cis) players by surprise, like it did with Krem in Dragon Age.

I thought it was fairly broadcasted? Like in a way where you mostly knew pretty early? I admittedly only tried to play the game at a point where social media had broadly spoiled all that kind of character stuff.

Also full body conversions are both extremely expensive and are the kind of chrome that takes a poo poo ton of therapy

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

sean10mm posted:

Not just that, actually I'm pretty sure it lets you use any of the slider options on any of the face shapes, regardless of if you select he/she/they as your identifier. As near as I can tell none of the options are tagged male/female so you can make any combination you want of "masculine"/"feminine" or what have you. You can also change all your pilots any way you want too, except maybe the special ones that were put in for the game's Kickstarter backers. Heck, the voices are all just numbered rather than being separated as for male or female characters. Of course

Skippy McPants posted:

It probably helped that the lead game designer is trans, but yeah that was a nice touch.

true true. kiva rules. hell of a game too, can't wait to see how they build on it beyond the first two DLC

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

chaosapiant posted:

How do we know that they haven't shown any? How do we know, for sure, that certain NPCs or background characters in the limited bit of media we've seen are not in fact trans characters?

"We have plenty of trans characters, you just can't see them!" is loving bullshit and you know it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

frajaq posted:

Honestly disappointed we can't be a cyber-cop, specially considering the first ever teaser this game had

Good. Cops are trash.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

The_White_Crane posted:

No, shut the gently caress up.
"Yeah, we have loads of positive representation of trans people you just can't tell they're trans!" is not a valid counter argument to "The only visible trans people are hypersexualised fetish caricatures."

Edit:
Actually if that were the case it's just reinforcing another nasty belief about trans people which is that the only "good" ones are the ones who can flawlessly pass as cis.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
On the other hand they might though? If they don't it definitely would be a problem.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

chaosapiant posted:

Be real, you know what they mean. Having uselessmook#763 being Trans but you only knowing about it in the credits or stuff like that isn't enough.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CascadeBeta posted:

"We have plenty of trans characters, you just can't see them!" is loving bullshit and you know it.

That's not really what I'm getting at either, so I'm going to drop it.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Stroth posted:

Netrunner, Solo, and Techie.

Pity, I guess a bunch of the classes would be weird to implement in that game.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Glenn Quebec posted:

On the other hand they might though? If they don't it definitely would be a problem.

This kind of argument would continue even after the game has come out and there's no trans characters. "Oh well maybe one of the main characters is trans and we just don't know!"

That loving sucks and is not acceptable.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

You were right, Smith. You're always right. It was inevitable.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CascadeBeta posted:

That isn't what they said at all. And now we've just come back around to the Catch-22 of either having trans characters that obviously don't pass or having trans characters that pass well enough not to be noticed in crowd shots from demos and screenshots.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zedd posted:

Be real, you know what they mean. Having uselessmook#763 being Trans but you only knowing about it in the credits or stuff like that isn't enough.

https://twitter.com/bafeldman/status/607924079379644417

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

CascadeBeta posted:

This kind of argument would continue even after the game has come out and there's no trans characters. "Oh well maybe one of the main characters is trans and we just don't know!"

That loving sucks and is not acceptable.

No, I mean a fully fleshed out character that's interactive and has a plot. Not someone in the background with possible scarring from a sex change.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Zedd posted:

Enough for what

It's a game not a political movement

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I do feel that a lot of this boils down to it being a Cyberpunk setting. Having no trans people in your shootymans in the modern day, or your fantasy waifu RPG or whatever isn't perfect either, but the big thing a lot of trans/nb people suffer from (dysphoria/adjusting your body) is extremely ingrained element of the setting.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

Enough for what

Games are political.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

frajaq posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Yeah but that'd basically be a whole game into itself, and would really focus the scope of the narrative

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Glenn Quebec posted:

No, I mean a fully fleshed out character that's interactive and has a plot. Not someone in the background with possible scarring from a sex change.

If there's a third act major NPC that's a trans person who is not offensive I will gladly accept being wrong, but I'm going off of what they've shown so far. And they haven't shown anything positive yet.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

Enough for what

Enough for us not to slate them for treating trans people more as a source of voyeuristic fetishism and cheap 'statements' than as actual people.

Look, people keep bringing up the idea that in a future where everyone can cybermod themselves up the whazoo we might end up with a post-gender society, and that within that context such a poster is a pretty unexceptional bit of set dressing, and I agree with that.
But a post-gender society wouldn't be "almost everyone looks clearly like a 2010s-era man/woman except maybe some of them have the other bits under their clothes and you can't tell until they're naked".

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 13, 2019

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

chaosapiant posted:

And based on the few interviews I've read that seems to be the author's intent.

Do you have any links to some of these? I’ve looked briefly for articles but most of them are incredibly generic and the most I’ve seen as a defense is “I think this person is sexy and this is the future where everything is oversexualized”

Ultimately - alongside the “if you have positive representations of trans people, then show them” idea - if you understand it’s provocative but don’t understand how problematic the image displayed is, there’s still a problem even if your intent wasn’t negative. Again, the entire spat kicked off in this thread with “boy I sure wish cdpr would find some trans people to hire because :yikes:

And they’re kind of demonstrating that that was good advice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ugato posted:

Do you have any links to some of these? I’ve looked briefly for articles but most of them are incredibly generic and the most I’ve seen as a defense is “I think this person is sexy and this is the future where everything is oversexualized”

Ultimately - alongside the “if you have positive representations of trans people, then show them” idea - if you understand it’s provocative but don’t understand how problematic the image displayed is, there’s still a problem even if your intent wasn’t negative. Again, the entire spat kicked off in this thread with “boy I sure wish cdpr would find some trans people to hire because :yikes:

And they’re kind of demonstrating that that was good advice.

There was an interview posted itt yesterday I think, I'll go and see if I can find the link.

Edit: I think this is it here: https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/12/18662443/cyberpunk-2077-trans-advertisement-cd-projekt-red-e3-2019

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 13, 2019

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

Enough for what

Maybe don't make a game with a highly politics prone setting then.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Visibly transgender characters in a setting with advanced and ubiquitous biotech/cybertech makes very little sense to me, unless that character is a luddite tbh. If this was 2020 then sure, but in 2077 even the poorest people would have the means to genemod or augment themselves to look however they want

NB I expect will be pretty commonplace

Firebert fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 13, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

CascadeBeta posted:

If there's a third act major NPC that's a trans person who is not offensive I will gladly accept being wrong, but I'm going off of what they've shown so far. And they haven't shown anything positive yet.

I'm sure there will be something. It would be bizarre not to. Trans stuff and further into transhumanism is all over cyberpunk stuff. Look at Mokoto from GITS having existential questions from being full cyborg etc etc.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If it's a game from a political setting with well defined ideology, then why is there so much outcry that they don't explicitly spell out their intent behind every microdecision.

Not that it isn't, but if it's a mature setting, treat it as such.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm sure there will be something. It would be bizarre not to. Trans stuff and further into transhumanism is all over cyberpunk stuff. Look at Mokoto from GITS having existential questions from being full cyborg etc etc.

Wasnt the main antagonist of the first season also someone who was inhabiting a series of significantly different bodies?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Firebert posted:

Visibly transgender characters in a setting with advanced and ubiquitous biotech/cybertech makes very little sense to me, unless that character is a luddite tbh. If this was 2020 then sure, but in 2077 even the poorest people would have the means to genemod or augment themselves to look however they want

NB I expect will be pretty commonplace

This is actually a much more succinct way of stating the point I was trying to make earlier.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

If it's a game from a political setting with well defined ideology, then why is there so much outcry that they don't explicitly spell out their intent behind every microdecision.

This is where their lack of a good track record comes in.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

It comes down to the fuckups from CDP(or gog or CDPR I forgot which branch) PR department having blundered in the past, that combined with how tightly they are controlling the marketing just makes some people cautious, and I can't blame them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pylons posted:

This is where their lack of a good track record comes in.

What bad record? An intern who made a bad tweet?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Wasnt the main antagonist of the first season also someone who was inhabiting a series of significantly different bodies?

Yes, hopping bodies happen in GITS quite often. It's suggested doing it too often and too divergent from your "self" (whatever that may be, which the characters argue about amongst themselves) can make you .... Disconnected. The second film shows this well when Batou runs into a former EWAR soldier he knew who now inhabits a super lovely prosthetic and just stays plugged into the net 24/7/365.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

What bad record? An intern who made a bad tweet?

There's also the whole, 'modifying your body inextricably pushes you further away from being an empathetic and rational person.' Which is obviously part of the source material, but not exactly endearing either.