Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I played on death march for like 30-40 and then just the game onto the easiest difficulty to get the combat over faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Your inventory is just what gwent cards you have, gotta catch em all.

Solve two birds with one stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMVQiDv62c

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/953/

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That just makes me realise I should get around to playing Thronebreaker. Next time it's on sale...

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Came here to post this. So cool. reminds me of

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deathburger/the-future-is-now-volume-two

Ah yeap, same guy!

Oh cool. They’re running a new kickstarter which includes as a promotion a download code for that older project.

Kickstarter is here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deathburger/nightfall-0
Older book free here: https://gumroad.com/josan#FkSS

quote:

The book is a sequel to Neon Rising and continues the story right where Neon Rising ended.(If you need to catch up you can check the digital version of Neon Rising for free at: Digital - Use the code hypetrain62k19 at checkout)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Soiled Meat

CottonWolf posted:

That just makes me realise I should get around to playing Thronebreaker. Next time it's on sale...

Good news, it's 50% off right now (on Steam, at least)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

steinrokkan posted:

Good news, it's 50% off right now (on Steam, at least)

I have a Mac for work, so I'll have to wait on a console sale.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Andrast posted:

I played on death march for like 30-40 and then just the game onto the easiest difficulty to get the combat over faster

How do you feel about the combat in Witcher 3?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Not sure if this is common knowledge but apparently multiple apartments isn't a thing in the game anymore. Kind of bummed if it's true because I was looking forward to being able to play a version of V that could 'climb the ladder'

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/v-will-have-only-one-apartmant-in-the-game-kasia-redesuik-gamestar-de-interview.11008165/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Soiled Meat
I don't really care, because technically buying new homes was a big part of GTA games, but in practice it never mattered at all if you lived in a roach hole or a mansion. As long as they integrate your pad into the game in some way, it should be fine.

(OTOH, settling in the Witcher vineyard was a very satisfying part of the game, but I think it was mainly due to its positioning as the bookend to your adventure)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Kind of sucks in the sense that if you only have one loot drop place? Maybe it’s not really that important, like Jensen’s apartment in DX Mankind Divided.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Soiled Meat

Look Sir Droids posted:

Kind of sucks in the sense that if you only have one loot drop place? Maybe it’s not really that important, like Jensen’s apartment in DX Mankind Divided.

The city should be pretty compact, afaik

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I can live with just one apartment if I can customize it some.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's the actual quote?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

if you didn't feed the entire masquerade to the rats, you were playing it wrong.

alot of them got the rat treatment or chopped up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rinkles posted:

What's the actual quote?

quote:

"V WILL HAVE ONLY ONE APARTMANT IN THE GAME." - KASIA REDESUIK (GAMESTAR.DE INTERVIEW)

Dunno if there's any teutonics that can confirm I can't double check poo poo rn

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
E:Mother gently caress I can't wrestle this url good

https://imgur.com/a/UwCpuAR

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

steinrokkan posted:

The city should be pretty compact, afaik

I thought the map was larger than Witcher 3 with added verticality?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

:five:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

https://i.imgur.com/jba4FSj.mp4

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I thought the map was larger than Witcher 3 with added verticality?

Source? Witcher 3 combined map size is absurdly big.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Temaukel posted:

Source? Witcher 3 combined map size is absurdly big.

Various devs have said it's :airquote: bigger :airquote: in interviews, but looking back it is ambiguous whether they mean it has more m2 thanks to the buildings having multiple levels or if it is actually larger.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Measuring map size is always really stupid, because it might just mean most of the map doesn't have anything interest going on it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Not having customizable apartments, or the chance to get that downtown Penthouse is kind of a bummer, considering this was supposed to be a Rags to Riches kind of story.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Not having customizable apartments, or the chance to get that downtown Penthouse is kind of a bummer, considering this was supposed to be a Rags to Riches kind of story.

So a GTA plot with cyberpunk aesthetics? I'm not sure I like the idea of a Rags to Riches story tbqh.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I'm more wondering whether no customization means it won't change or whether it's just specifically personalized option; if it's the latter I don't overly mind, it's not like you could customize any of the flats in Bloodlines.

Also I'm mostly curious what the apartment is like at all, my memories of 2020 was that you were basically assumed to be a hair from being homeless most of the time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I actually just realized I have no idea what the general plot of Cyberpunk 2077 even is.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

marshmallow creep posted:

My favorite "But...why?" equipment choice in the original Witcher was the decision to let you have things like axes and hammers...which all do less damage than swords and explicitly cannot be used with Witcher fighting styles. So you do less damage and gimp your attack patterns because

There was a "side weapon" slot that would activate different finishers depending on what was in there. I seem to recall having a dagger there would have Geralt knock down the guy and stab his internal organs in alphabetical order, for example.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Finishing up a Witcher 3 run, and if the quest writing and little side avenues are as well depicted as in that, this game will be goty.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I actually just realized I have no idea what the general plot of Cyberpunk 2077 even is.
The vaguest gist I seem to have is "V blows into Night City for (Background Story) Reasons, decides to make a name for themselves in the process, takes a job that goes south, ends up with Keanu Reeves cohabiting their headspace via a chip that supposedly is the secret to immortality, ???, PLOT"

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Do you know what the people who make a fortune in Night City do? They leave Night City for a place that isn't a shithole.

Best ending is Mechwarriors 2: Mercenaries where you performed heroically in the critical battle that held back the Clans, saved the Inner Sphere, blah blah blah, but more importantly you got enough C-Bills to live on a sweet-rear end mega-yacht sipping cocktails.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Measuring map size is always really stupid, because it might just mean most of the map doesn't have anything interest going on it.

Yep. It was heartening to me when the Outer Worlds devs said they're focusing on density rather than enormous topography.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nah. i think thats what the opening plot is gonna be about street rat V trying to make all the eddies. but then you stumble onto the chip that has silverhand living inside it and switches tracks

Hogama posted:

The vaguest gist I seem to have is "V blows into Night City for (Background Story) Reasons, decides to make a name for themselves in the process, takes a job that goes south, ends up with Keanu Reeves cohabiting their headspace via a chip that supposedly is the secret to immortality, ???, PLOT"

yep. my guess is it will also be arasaka(or their decedent company since i think arasaka got hosed bad after the 4th corperate war) and militech having another cold war and each trying to get the chip. that and silverhand wanting to take a match to the whole shithole system.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I really wish I could remember the name for this kind of connector. IIRC it was developed by like germans in the 50s or 20s or some poo poo. Used a lot for certain microphones or even soldering irons, but i've also seen it referred to as "aircraft" style, whatever that means. V's jacket has four of them, and they're all the peripheral side -- the energized "main" side would look like this:

Obviously you don't need to run power thru these necessarily, but if you did you wouldn't want the sockets on the jacket to be energized cause you could get some fuckin shell casing jammed in there or other idiot poo poo and get a short. I have seen them used reversed where the pins were hot for whatever dumbass reason, and probably they're used like that more often than not, they're not really like usb designed to be plugged whenever however so you can sort of assume that if the pins are hot it's not going to be a big deal cause the thing is already connected up or it's powered down.

There's also ten billion variations in number, layout, and size of pins, including sockets and plugs that are half male and half female. Really weirdo poo poo out there but I've only seen the more standard ones irl. I'm willing to bet that if it were real the jacket has some kind of backing plate behind those sockets, not that it's something that would ever come up, but without a strong anchor those things would rip right through the leather no problem. IMO if the jacket broke it would be a pain in the rear end to fix unless there's some sort of access pocket on the inside that lets you pull the guts out of the collar.

I wonder if those connectors have an actual use in the game or if it's just there to look cool (it's there to look cool). Any time I've seen them they tend to either be some homebrew poo poo or something that just needs a cheap reliable interconnection. For sure not the kind of thing i'd run in like fuckin combat simulations or whatever, that naked metal second pic I posted has like no strain relief for the cable itself.

I dunno if this has already been answered or not since I'm still reading through this thread, but I will answer this as I have much experience with aviation electronics.

These are called "Cannon Plugs" and they do three things: 1) they have the rotating threaded collar because aircraft can experience dramatic vibrations in flight (espc low altitude or high speed/high G military stuff) so they prevent the connections from severing by a cable becoming unplugged and risking losing essential aircraft functions 2) they are "keyed" in that each cannon plug twist ring has notches that align with only one connector on the part they go to i.e. Plug J5 connects to connector lug J5; 3) the large plastic sheath for the connector pins keep the pins from being damaged during time sensitive parts changes, which are important if you're turning aircraft for either passenger service or bomb carrying. Also they're usually self ratcheting which is dope.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

No combat, no inventory witcher 3 would be a pretty significant improvement.

After all the people who said they liked the earlier, peaceful part of Bioshock Infinite more than the FPS shooter that followed, I've been waiting for someone to make a System Shock / Deus Ex style FPSRPG where you just run around town talking to people and doing quests and things, finding out clues, but never actually shoot people.

A game like that where you play a detective would be sweet, like Blade Runner.

You could even have guns as long as its possible to roleplay things peacefully and you have options for a pacifist run.

I'm hoping Cyberpunk gives you some ways out but I'm expecting most of the quests will ultimately be about shooting guns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tirranek posted:

Not sure if this is common knowledge but apparently multiple apartments isn't a thing in the game anymore. Kind of bummed if it's true because I was looking forward to being able to play a version of V that could 'climb the ladder'

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/v-will-have-only-one-apartmant-in-the-game-kasia-redesuik-gamestar-de-interview.11008165/

Bummer man, makes the world feel smaller.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zaphod42 posted:

Bummer man, makes the world feel smaller.

Make the world feel bigger for only $2.99 with this deluxe neon throw rug. Make it feel even bigger again with this additional apartment for only $19.99

Some people might call this immersion breaking. They'd be wrong.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I definitely hope the world is more dense than big

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

I definitely hope the world is more dense than big

For sure, Warren-spector always talks about wide and shallow vs narrow and deep. Cyberpunk looks like its gonna be his dream "one city block" game, but we'll see as we know more.

But being able to pick different apartments adds to roleplaying, having one set apartment for all players of all runs makes replays feel less unique and the game feel less dynamic. Its not the end of the world, minor. Just sayin.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
You know how earlier the thread was talking about how the time spent developing a game is in the detail, texture and design work for assets?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891998

https://nvlabs.github.io/SPADE/demo.html

This poo poo is advancing so fast, from text and stories to now visual stuff. It won't be long till you can just have a computer (or a bunch I guess!) do the raw work and have the people tweak them on top.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

I dunno if this has already been answered or not since I'm still reading through this thread, but I will answer this as I have much experience with aviation electronics.

These are called "Cannon Plugs" and they do three things: 1) they have the rotating threaded collar because aircraft can experience dramatic vibrations in flight (espc low altitude or high speed/high G military stuff) so they prevent the connections from severing by a cable becoming unplugged and risking losing essential aircraft functions 2) they are "keyed" in that each cannon plug twist ring has notches that align with only one connector on the part they go to i.e. Plug J5 connects to connector lug J5; 3) the large plastic sheath for the connector pins keep the pins from being damaged during time sensitive parts changes, which are important if you're turning aircraft for either passenger service or bomb carrying. Also they're usually self ratcheting which is dope.

Always cool seeing new plug types, never even seen that manufacturer before. In the world of camera and audio I am used to seeing fancy swiss made fischer or lemo connectors for small stuff. They have like a locking shroud you need to pull back to disconnect (these look like a nightmare to make, they are tiny as gently caress)

or amphenol bayonet connectors in bigger bulkier one off bullshit

Stanky Bean fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I think with the apartments thing, it's that based on the E3 gameplay I got the idea that you'd be just trying to make your way in a massive world, and that the mainline quests were basically long story threads in different gangs or corporations. The same 'live in the world' aspect that gets many people excited about Star Citizen seemed like something they were going for with Cyberpunk, and that might not be the case now.

Who knows though, really. Still really excited about it! :allears: