Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah like I was saying, did they actually use that softwood as the beams that hold this in place? That piece of wood is sold just to fill the gap between the corrugated roof tiles and an actual beam underneath the wavy wood block so it sits nicely and doesn't bend as easily. You're supposed to use a long screw that goes through the thick part of the wavy wood block all the way into a wooden beam underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yep. 1" screws into the spacer, which was itself stapled onto the 2x4. There's not even one thread into the frame at all.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Came across this the other week - didn't even realise we had the drat things in this country. The placement is a nice touch too

Rahul fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 14, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Circuit interruptors? What's wrong with em?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I would think using the fillers and putting the screws through the peaks would make for a less leaky roof, no?

No. You can't tighten the (rubber gasketed) screws down sufficiently in the peaks without damaging the panel.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Circuit interruptors? What's wrong with em?

Stab Loc

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Vertellung nur zur Verwendung von FEP stab-lok Selstschaltern -- Use with FEP stab-lok Circuit Breakers only

Great, because Jews in Germany didn't have enough to worry about already....

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

Stay b-Locked

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Mcmansionhell is back to the usual, and what the gently caress even is this?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm glad I can add their houses to the list of things to make fun of Waukesha for.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We joke a lot, but that roofline seriously does look like some sort of clipping error in Sims or something. How the gently caress did that get through everyone's hands without someone pulling it up short? Even just the owner had to realize it was a mess. They're going to get some crazy water flow into that nook, and I'm betting it is not going to hold up to it long.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Ashcans posted:

We joke a lot, but that roofline seriously does look like some sort of clipping error in Sims or something. How the gently caress did that get through everyone's hands without someone pulling it up short? Even just the owner had to realize it was a mess. They're going to get some crazy water flow into that nook, and I'm betting it is not going to hold up to it long.

If that were in Florida then ever summer afternoon that one corner of that one roof would be a really impressive firehouse.

Like, you'd have no driveway left after a month, but what a stunning water feature.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Haifisch posted:

I'm glad I can add their houses to the list of things to make fun of Waukesha for.

How do you know it's Waukesha?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Ashcans posted:

There are a load of residential architects who don't think in three dimensions at all; they design the floor plan, then draw up a couple orthogonal elevation views that indicate the heights of eaves and ridges, and let the contractor worry about the details of how all the roof planes meet. I imagine it didn't look nearly as starkly wrong on paper, and by the time it became obvious that it looked like if Kuato was a garage, nobody wanted to tear down the existing framing or pay for a redesign.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

GreenNight posted:

How do you know it's Waukesha?

she posts what county they're from all the time dude cmon

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PuddingKnight posted:

she posts what county they're from all the time dude cmon

Ah. I've never been to the site, I just see the pictures on here and imgur.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenNight posted:

Ah. I've never been to the site, I just see the pictures on here and imgur.

It was an understandable post op.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Ashcans posted:

We joke a lot, but that roofline seriously does look like some sort of clipping error in Sims or something. How the gently caress did that get through everyone's hands without someone pulling it up short?

It kinda looks like the garage was supposed to be in-line with the rest of the house, but then they grabbed it in software and rotated it 45 degrees inward, without bothering to redo the roof shape. Just two objects in a computer.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

First of May posted:

It kinda looks like the garage was supposed to be in-line with the rest of the house, but then they grabbed it in software and rotated it 45 degrees inward, without bothering to redo the roof shape. Just two objects in a computer.

i like that, even if the above hypothesis is accurate, that means the design still allowed for that weird roof-basin because that does not appear to be the result of the garage but rather just how the house would have looked regardless

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i like that, even if the above hypothesis is accurate, that means the design still allowed for that weird roof-basin because that does not appear to be the result of the garage but rather just how the house would have looked regardless
It's like there was a different house bit, then they shoved the garage in there and rubbed the other bits off with the erase tool.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Someone posited earlier in the thread that they thought maybe all the design work for this kind of house was done in software, kinda sort-of modularly, with the designer just adding features as requested, and the software attempting to figure out how the roof works.
This house lends credence to that theory.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
It kind of seems like the room text to the garage is the problem. Like the garage and the house were supposed to meet at a single seam and then that room showed up and loving ruined everything with intersecting roof lines.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Haifisch posted:

Dude that list is at least 10 miles long

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Darchangel posted:

Someone posited earlier in the thread that they thought maybe all the design work for this kind of house was done in software, kinda sort-of modularly, with the designer just adding features as requested, and the software attempting to figure out how the roof works.
This house lends credence to that theory.

Like putting an image into a Word document and then trying to move it and poo poo just ends up anywhere.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

First of May posted:

I kind of think it was supposed to be perpendicular, then they rotated it 45 degrees outward.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Another Sydney tower block is showing cracks. So I went and did some reading about Opal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any basic cad software for architecture will have some auto roof tool that you input some specs like pitch and overhang and it auto generates a 3d roof with structural details in one click. When I see a lot of bad mcmansion roofs I see those tools being used with no afterthought.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This was built by an alien who had clearly never seen human habitation before

The video tour in the ad is a strange surrealist journey through a vaguely house-like object

The location, year built and style makes me think that it's from the same builder as the McMarble house I posted in the Interior Design thread which suspiciously lacks a good photo of the facade beyond the two-story entry. The rear gives a good hint though.

And also this monstrosity

imagine how much it costs to replace this roof that's falling apart

It's got a carpeted bathroom in the Pringles Can of Shame. But sloped tile next to the tub and shower, because, you know, that makes it better.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm fascinated to see that even at a $1,000,000 asking price you still can't get a pool table that's far enough away from the walls to let you take a shot from any side of it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao private tennis courts in tyool 2019 (or any post-atomic decade)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Youth Decay posted:

The video tour in the ad is a strange surrealist journey through a vaguely house-like object

This one has a generated-by-AI feel to it, like the mini stairs flanking the entry, the stone/tile couch, the sink next to the living room (???) that's right across from the kitchen, and the almost but not quite absence of furniture. :pwn:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Phanatic posted:

I'm fascinated to see that even at a $1,000,000 asking price you still can't get a pool table that's far enough away from the walls to let you take a shot from any side of it.
That’s because a surprising number of people use “owning a pool table” more as a symbol than an actual game to be played (see also: lack of seating near the table). I would guess that pool table sees play once a year, tops.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

I weirdly like this house. And if I saw a room like this in it, it would improve things.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

MagusofStars posted:

That’s because a surprising number of people use “owning a pool table” more as a symbol than an actual game to be played (see also: lack of seating near the table). I would guess that pool table sees play once a year, tops.

That’s unfortunate. I have a table and it’s great for hanging out. I have people over and use it twice a month or so.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Don't think that's a sloped bathroom floor. Looks like a trick of the short lens and semi-circular tile.

But that kitchen burner.. doesn't look like a downdraft vent to me, so just no vent?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
someone good at balconies please explain how I would use these

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

very carefully indeed

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

There is a ladder in the back and you slide down the roof to the balcony.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
kindling

I know nothing about balconies though.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,