Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jimbot posted:

That looks like the basis of that dystopian cyberpunk side-scroller game where political correctness brought about the apocalypse or something.

Microsoft dropped that guy and last I heard he ran out of backers. Looks like the free market wins again. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jimbot posted:

That looks like the basis of that dystopian cyberpunk side-scroller game where political correctness brought about the apocalypse or something.

The Last Night, the game was canceled and the creator is in court over lying about his game to investors.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

Thanks for dredging up dumb poo poo that has been historically taken as dumb.

Desperately chasing after things to be outraged about is the cool thing to do these days

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

frajaq posted:

Desperately chasing after things to be outraged about is the cool thing to do these days

I guess it's the logical next step to concern trolling.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Cyberpunk is not a mere videogame, it is a braindance.

I liked that they used 'braindance' in one of the 'movie' posters shown above.
If they're sticking true to the lore as much as they say they are, then I hope you can become addicted to them.

It also, though not really because we A.) haven't really seen much and B.) it's a game and not what people would want, makes me hope they stick to the 'Friday Night Firefight' rule mantra of gun and other combat which is "Yea everyone has guns, that's sorta what people do now. But you know what the reality of gun fights and street violence actually is? It sucks and people suck at it. Specifically, YOU suck at it. Even if you think you're good at it and trained for it. You suck." You're supposed to look like a complete badass with your tricked out bigass guns and trenchcoats and assault rifles and poo poo so people do not shoot at you, because when you actually DO need to really start running around and spraying bullets around like a jackass...that's almost always exactly what happens. You just run around spraying bullets into walls looking like a jackass.
It's a real big part of the 'Style over Substance' line you see in all the posters they're pushing too. All these cyber arms and neat as poo poo toys everyone has mostly just look the part. It's a big cosplay convention but with real bullets and swords. In reality, you might have a killer looking neon lit cyber arm that's chrome plated and has a retractable katana built in, but because "it's Cyberpunk" there should be a real good chance that when you go to use the thing, the lights just turn off and a little flag pops out with the word *snick!* on it instead of the sword or whatever because you got the knockoff russian one.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 18, 2019

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Microsoft dropped that guy and last I heard he ran out of backers. Looks like the free market wins again. :smugdog:

I said come in! posted:

The Last Night, the game was canceled and the creator is in court over lying about his game to investors.

Amazing.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

If they're sticking true to the lore as much as they say they are, then I hope you can become addicted to them.

It also, though not really because we A.) haven't really seen much and B.) it's a game and not what people would want, makes me hope they stick to the 'Friday Night Firefight' rule mantra of gun and other combat which is "Yea everyone has guns, that's sorta what people do now. But you know what the reality of gun fights and street violence actually is? It sucks and people suck at it. Specifically, YOU suck at it. Even if you think you're good at it and trained for it. You suck." You're supposed to look like a complete badass with your tricked out bigass guns and trenchcoats and assault rifles and poo poo so people do not shoot at you, because when you actually DO need to really start running around and spraying bullets around like a jackass...that's almost always exactly what happens. You just run around spraying bullets into walls looking like a jackass.
It's a real big part of the 'Style over Substance' line you see in all the posters they're pushing too. All these cyber arms and neat as poo poo toys everyone has mostly just look the part. It's a big cosplay convention but with real bullets and swords.

PNP sessions massively improved once we started using the DM guides like that (Listen up primitive screwheads is imo a genuinely good DMG) because, yeah, I liked that a lot of this built up on the idea that a lot of things came down to posturing and actually tabletop groups that just straight up try to fight their way through everything would probably be psychopaths and dead ones at that. Also then suddenly poo poo that seems like it's entirely fluff becomes a lot more fun to mess around with.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

Thanks for dredging up dumb poo poo that has been historically taken as dumb.

I'm sorry? Lol I didn't know Wtf it was, just that it's a Cyberpunk thing and it's funny. It's a narrator in an inherently transgressive genre that sounds like someone's boomer uncle. Laugh at it.

What is it then if it doesn't reflect on the setting or its creators in anyway? I'm genuinely curious where it came from.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deified Data posted:

I'm sorry? Lol I didn't know Wtf it was, just that it's a Cyberpunk thing and it's funny. It's a narrator in an inherently transgressive genre that sounds like someone's boomer uncle. Laugh at it.

What is it then if it doesn't reflect on the setting or its creators in anyway? I'm genuinely curious where it came from.

It's not official Cyberpunk lore, it was written by a 3rd party. I imagine that image is going to circulate a lot in the coming months with zero context.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Agnosticnixie posted:

PNP sessions massively improved once we started using the DM guides like that (Listen up primitive screwheads is imo a genuinely good DMG) because, yeah, I liked that a lot of this built up on the idea that a lot of things came down to posturing and actually tabletop groups that just straight up try to fight their way through everything would probably be psychopaths and dead ones at that. Also then suddenly poo poo that seems like it's entirely fluff becomes a lot more fun to mess around with.

In one of my groups I (a techie) died because I caught one rando bullet to my arm, flipped out, jumped into a getaway vehicle (lovely pickup), hotwired it. Our solo (Incredible Hulk impersonator on the brink of psychosis) in the bed.
I passed out from blood loss after about a minute of panic'd driving. He reaches around me through the back window around my head to grab the wheel, cuts his guts up on the broken glass, bleeds out, locking his cyber arms around my head, and I regain consciousness in time to watch the truck drive off a bridge killing both of us.

We did not accomplish the mission objective for our team.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/17/cyberpunk-2077-preview-and-interview-i-just-love-my-work-9973737/

Didn't see this posted, some decent stuff in there.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Big Beef City posted:

There looked to be a UI element in an apartment to turn the lighting from Day to Night to Braindance so here’s hoping for Braingwent.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Deified Data posted:

I remember you in the fascists in trad games thread. You know what you're doing, stirring the pot and acting oblivious about it.

Please stop. That excerpt has been denounced a long time ago.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

I remember you in the fascists in trad games thread. You know what you're doing, stirring the pot and acting oblivious about it.

Please stop. That excerpt has been denounced a long time ago.

What in the world are you referring to? Are you mistaking me for another poster?

I posted twice in this thread and my question was answered.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Deified Data posted:

I mean it reflects somewhat on the writer who did that supplement but it's also never been some sort of canon perspective of the world for 2020.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rinkles posted:

I thought he didn't see the demo this year and that was based on Brad's impressions (which were positive but not to Jeff's liking for some reason)?

I might even be quoting Brad tbh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

frajaq posted:

The second they announced the very limited "classes" you're able to play I had to temper my expectations for this game a lot (like it seems regardless of the Solo/Techie/Netrunner talent trees, you're basically playing a Solo from footage so far), but I'm still REALLY excited for it.

Rip cybercop possibility tho

I thought the thing on "classes" is that there weren't any set classes but there were three skill trees that you could develop to create as well-rounded of a PC as you wanted.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
A pipe dream of mine is to have a grapple arm so that I can play Cyberbionic Commando 2077. I tried doing this in a Shaodowrun play-by-post game, but it died before I got to have fun with it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

chitoryu12 posted:

I thought the thing on "classes" is that there weren't any set classes but there were three skill trees that you could develop to create as well-rounded of a PC as you wanted.

That's what they said.

Paweł Sasko, lead of the quest team posted:

You can pick skills from the tree of the Techie, of a Solo, and of a NetRunner. But you can combine them in different ways, like you can do whatever you want with your build, pretty much. And what we are trying to do in this game, in the quest design, is we’re using all that information about the player, about the custom characters the players build, to give you different paths.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

chitoryu12 posted:

Which probably copies alot of what W3's "class" system does with it's Physical Combat/Magical Combat/Alchemy trees or better known to me as Red/Blue/Green trees.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

frajaq posted:

Funny, I've only seen it posted in the context of "OMG CP2020 WAS A PROPHECY" by the skincel brigade.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Was anyone ever successfully able to pre order this? Every storefront but GameStop is now listed as sold out, but at no point did wal mart or amazon actually allow you to pre order the collectors edition.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

frajaq posted:

Did I miss something in this thread to lead to this weird overreaction to my post?

Most people are in "wait and see for context" mode for any of the games apparent controversies, what argument is still ongoing that I am being mistaken for advancing?

Trans and non-binary options in CC far outweigh the dumb horny ad in my view so I'm not sure where we're supposed to be disagreeing.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Deified Data posted:

Did I miss something in this thread to lead to this weird overreaction to my post?

It's because gamers. Don't worry about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Metro UK posted:

GC: Can you give an idea of how long it would take to get through the whole game if you only did the story missions?

PS: The problem with that question is that we are wondering that ourselves! [laughs] Because when we tried to judge The Witcher we completely misread it. We thought The Witcher was going to be way shorter than it turned out to be. Because we’re crazy, we’re always just packing so much stuff in and it turns out to be way too big. [laughs] But the problem with this game is the vertical exploration in the city. The second thing is the cars and the motorcycles, the non-linearity in the gameplay, the fact that you can play stealthily, and the fact that you can play with not killing anybody. And the fact that you can just go all guns blazing. They take completely different times. Add in all the side missions and the time adds up and gives you a completely different number. So the problem we have right now is that it’s really hard to tell [how long it is]. We’re trying not to be quite as crazy with the main story as with The Witcher, because people were complaining that we were a bit too long and that the main story did start to drag a bit. So we’re trying to make this a bit tighter.

This is a very good sign, IMO

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They could implement an employment mechanic that requires you do jobs (quests) for your employer, like the polis, city sanitation board, that kind of thing. Fail or refuse enough jobs and you get the sack. You can get promotions and the like if you suceed.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Collateral posted:

They could implement an employment mechanic that requires you do jobs (quests) for your employer, like the polis, city sanitation board, that kind of thing. Fail or refuse enough jobs and you get the sack. You can get promotions and the like if you suceed.

Unsubscribe

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I wonder if one day someone will write an article about stealth vs non-stealth that doesn't include the phrase "all guns blazing".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Collateral posted:

Assistant HR Manager 2077

ufarn
May 30, 2009
in 2077 you'll be an independent contractor if you're lucky

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

El_Elegante posted:

Was anyone ever successfully able to pre order this? Every storefront but GameStop is now listed as sold out, but at no point did wal mart or amazon actually allow you to pre order the collectors edition.

You're talking about the collector's edition? Yeah similar in Europe. I managed to preorder one, by guessing which shops might have it, but I'm a bit nervous since the shop wasn't on the official list at cyberpunk.net so no idea if they'll get enough copies of it etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ufarn posted:

in 2077 you'll be an independent contractor if you're lucky

2077 will either be universal basic income or mad max.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Futuristic quest structure, better known as Gig Economy.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sebmojo posted:

Deus Ex:HR(manager)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/1141100922858278912

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Easier-to-access disc drives on our PCs?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'm almost kind of tempted to buy a "physical" version, even if I have no disc drives, simply because of this supposed hardcopy art book that'll be included with pre-orders. It'd be my first pre-order since San Andreas.

Gimmick junk is worthless, but that concept art was looking drat nice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm almost kind of tempted to buy a "physical" version, even if I have no disc drives, simply because of this supposed hardcopy art book that'll be included with pre-orders. It'd be my first pre-order since San Andreas.

Gimmick junk is worthless, but that concept art was looking drat nice.

Pack in "art books" generally suck now, it'll be the size of a postcard so it fits the box.

Art books sold standalone are usually bigger and longer and much much nicer.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

sebmojo posted:

Very unfortunate that they're basically walling this content off from players who want to be pacifist. Lotta employees getting terminated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game is going to be on like two blu-ray discs.