Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If you don't think Star Trek IV is one of the top two Trek movies you need to reevaluate your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

not a big fan of time travel.

your move.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Senor Tron posted:

As we moved into an age where almost everyone uses computer devices on a day to day basis it started to seem quaint that things like peoples holodeck logs and programs were apparently available for anyone to see. Then I realised that they are probably all decoys people play for a few minutes before going into full depravity incognito mode.

>>PLEASE SPECIFY SHELL PROGRAM<<

"Bible study with St. Augustine."

>>PLEASE SPECIFY CORE PROGRAM<<

*bends over and whispers to computer*

>><<

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

not a big fan of time travel.

your move.

In Star Trek IV, time travel isn't the point of the plot, it is just a literary device to get the plot moving. This makes it far less annoying than most time travel plots. Also, it is the best Star Trek movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Peachfart posted:

In Star Trek IV, time travel isn't the point of the plot, it is just a literary device to get the plot moving. This makes it far less annoying than most time travel plots. Also, it is the best Star Trek movie.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Star Trek IV is amazing. There are no villains. There are zero fight scenes or space battles. The only action is people running somewhere. They will never make another movie like it again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like First Contact. It's not very next gen but it's a good movie

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Wasn't this around when Barclay finally established the communications relay with Voyager? He probably finally got his dear John letter. Libby met a lieutenant who helped her through her grief named Nog

Gross and dumb. Also by the time Nog is an adult and a lieutenant she’d know Harry was alive.

But either way that doesn’t happen until season 6. In season 4 all they get is a bunch of messages from home sent over the Hirogen network. Harry only got a message from his parents at this time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s weird how Chakotay of all people is the first officer we actually see doing his job of delegating tasks to the core and putting the captain’s orders into operation most often. You saw it in Riker only if the episode deals with promotions or assignments like Lower Decks. Most of the time he and Spock are the captain’s advisor/sounding board/best friend, and Kira is more the Bajoran representative on the station.

It’s a drat shame. Chakotay has a lot of outright racist/made up poo poo about Native Americans tied to his character, but Beltran and Mulgrew have a legitimately compelling chemistry. I’m much more divided on how I feel about the character than the last time I watched this.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Random thought.

Odo vs. Armus.

Go.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Powered Descent posted:

Random thought.

Odo vs. Armus.

Go. Goo.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Nodosaur posted:

Naomi Wildman is probably the most successful child character in the franchise. Her rapid aging aside, the fact that her actress is actually not just passable, but good, her enthusiasm being realistic, and her not being treated as a prodigy just because (she's smart and talented but you get the sense she's earned it), and her reacting like an actual child would to certain situations is what ultimately sells her.

The bit where she thinks simply talking to Seven got her assimilated is both hilarious and instantly endearing.

I had my doubts about this post, especially the bold, but drat you were right as hell. She's better than some of the adults they get on these things.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nodosaur posted:

Gross and dumb. Also by the time Nog is an adult and a lieutenant she’d know Harry was alive.

But either way that doesn’t happen until season 6. In season 4 all they get is a bunch of messages from home sent over the Hirogen network. Harry only got a message from his parents at this time.

Nog is a lieutenant by Voyager season 5 episode "Latent Image", that's when Libby met him obviously

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm not looking forward to a Tarantino Star Trek. The fact he says it's going to be R-rated proves he doesn't really get it, he just thinks it's cool or like the fights or is afraid of trying outside his wheelhouse. It'll be like the Beyond Beastie Boys song (which was cool) played constantly times a thousand. It'll be like TMNT calling each other cocksuckers, or Man-at-Arms getting his face brutally caved in. Star Trek shouldn't have cunts and N-words thrown around

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm not looking forward to a Tarantino Star Trek. The fact he says it's going to be R-rated proves he doesn't really get it, he just thinks it's cool or like the fights or is afraid of trying outside his wheelhouse. It'll be like the Beyond Beastie Boys song (which was cool) played constantly times a thousand. It'll be like TMNT calling each other cocksuckers, or Man-at-Arms getting his face brutally caved in. Star Trek shouldn't have cunts and N-words thrown around

Multiple F words would have made at least one episode of Discovery R-rated

And it was jarring and unnecessary there too

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Gonz posted:

Tarantino’s Star Trek is going to be the best Star Trek film.

Winston Wolf-359, Dead Klingon Storage, etc;etc.

*breathlessly enters thread* has anyone joked about alien feet yet

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

i kind of imagine a really brutal take on Balance of Terror when I imagine Tarantino’s Star Trek.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Peachfart posted:

3/4 of the movie is them as fish out of water in 1986

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

3/4 of the movie is them as fish out of water in 1986

The other 1/4 is whales in water in 1986

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

The other 1/4 is whales in water in 1986

:hmmyes:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Those whales were never out of water and also I am pretty sure that eleventy tons of whale+bay is, by several orders of magnitude, the most massive thing we've ever seen transported.

Unless omega particles are really heavy I guess

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Christopher Lloyd was such a great Klingon. His little doggie also worked so well.

"Say the wrong thing, Torg!" The Klingon was also accurate, if pronounced a little wonky.

Nodosaur posted:

Star Trek couldn't even make a good movie to start

The Motion Picture is an excellent, very intelligent movie, bro.

shadok posted:

I've always thought Undiscovered Country to be highly overrated, and I've always been kind of puzzled about it.

Literally has the best space battle in Star Trek, bar none.

Nodosaur posted:

It’s weird how Chakotay of all people is the first officer we actually see doing his job of delegating tasks to the core and putting the captain’s orders into operation most often. You saw it in Riker only if the episode deals with promotions or assignments like Lower Decks. Most of the time he and Spock are the captain’s advisor/sounding board/best friend, and Kira is more the Bajoran representative on the station.

It’s a drat shame. Chakotay has a lot of outright racist/made up poo poo about Native Americans tied to his character, but Beltran and Mulgrew have a legitimately compelling chemistry. I’m much more divided on how I feel about the character than the last time I watched this.

I remember taking an indigenous studies class in university and I learned about the "white guy larping as first nations" thing and I was more surprised by the sheer number of them than anything else.

Alan_Shore posted:

It's been stated many times that it's not going to be laced with profanity as much as it's going to violent as gently caress, so basically picture the episode where they melt that dude with a phaser a bunch.
Also Tarantino is a trekkie, this is well known.

Timeless Appeal posted:

i kind of imagine a really brutal take on Balance of Terror when I imagine Tarantino’s Star Trek.

No, gently caress that, dude. Quention Tarantino should straight up make something like the Squire of Gothos. He's the only person I'd trust to make a good, classic "Godlike Aliens gently caress with the crew" story. Plus it would allow him to put his "timeless 50's nostalgia" poo poo in there. Probably allow him to put samurai and other dumb poo poo he likes.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Christopher Lloyd was such a great Klingon. His little doggie also worked so well.

"Say the wrong thing, Torg!" The Klingon was also accurate, if pronounced a little wonky.

This. Lloyd's performance (as prototypical as it is) is responsible for so much of what we know as Klingons in future installments. I don't think it gets discussed enough that he's a sort of anti-Khan: not a genius, but a fierce enough warrior that Kirk has to sacrifice one of the things he loves most to survive (and this is after losing his son he just recently found again). That's the wonderful counterpoint that makes Search for Spock such a great sequel.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Zurui posted:

This. Lloyd's performance (as prototypical as it is) is responsible for so much of what we know as Klingons in future installments. I don't think it gets discussed enough that he's a sort of anti-Khan: not a genius, but a fierce enough warrior that Kirk has to sacrifice one of the things he loves most to survive (and this is after losing his son he just recently found again). That's the wonderful counterpoint that makes Search for Spock such a great sequel.

First mention of Klingon honor too, I think.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

People forget that for all the foot worship and dead n-word storage stuff, a whole lot of Tarantino's films are extremely good as far as character development. Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, those are all movies that only work because the characters are fleshed out so well. Heck, look at Hateful Eight - replace "a horse carriage route waypoint during a snowstorm" with "a spaceship adrift waiting for Space AAA to arrive with more fuel" and it would work.
We also know that he has absurd, borderline-obsessive levels of fanboy-ism (see: Kill Bill and spaghetti Westerns), so I gotta say I'd trust that if he's really a Trekkie, he "gets" that his usual movie style isn't exactly a fit.

OTOH, if they force him to do a Kirk & Co. script, it might be very bad, since he won't have the freedom to create his own crew. Dunno how good that would turn out. But giving him the reins to the Trek universe and saying "make a movie here" would be something I'm extremely interested in seeing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would be surprised if Tarantino used existing characters

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Only if he was forced to, which is what I'm worried they'll try to do. But I also think he'd drop the project if they did that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's been stated many times that it's not going to be laced with profanity as much as it's going to violent as gently caress, so basically picture the episode where they melt that dude with a phaser a bunch.
Also Tarantino is a trekkie, this is well known.

No, gently caress that, dude. Quention Tarantino should straight up make something like the Squire of Gothos. He's the only person I'd trust to make a good, classic "Godlike Aliens gently caress with the crew" story. Plus it would allow him to put his "timeless 50's nostalgia" poo poo in there. Probably allow him to put samurai and other dumb poo poo he likes.

I would be ok with something like this or something really alien, or maybe both in one. Not quite horror, but suspense, and lean into the bizarre. I'm thinking more along the lines of Red Jack or Nagilum.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Only if he was forced to, which is what I'm worried they'll try to do. But I also think he'd drop the project if they did that.

If anything it could be one existing character, preferably a minor one.

Better would be a known character during the opening of the movie to help situate it in the timeline. Something that non-fans could miss without actually missing anything.
Could be anybody. Geordi, T'Pol, whatever.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
If they just let him do non-humans I think he could knock it out of the park - a Klingon revenge epic, a Ferengei heist film, a Cardassian spy-thiller.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I always picture him doing some galaxy-hopping series of vignettes with a pulpy TOS flavor, basically Pulp Fiction-style short stories that tie together. A little space horror like the salt vampire in one, a Feds. vs. Klingons morality play in another, a little comical Mudd caper in another. It could bounce around different protagonists or just be snapshots from the five-year mission.

I could also see him doing something like the Organian episode, where the Enterprise and the Klingons are pitted against one another by some godlike aliens, with crazy plot elements akin to Abraham Lincoln and Genghis Khan or the old west being involved.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Zurui posted:

Watch Crazy Jim from Taxi and then watch Star Trek III. You can’t unsee it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Counter point: Samuel L. Jackson as a Starfleet admiral.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"I've had it with these motherfucking tribbles on this motherfucking starship!"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Automatic Slim posted:

Counter point: Samuel L. Jackson as a Starfleet admiral.

ugh, no thank you please

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Christoph Waltz as the Romulan commander in Quentin Tarantino's take on Balance of Terror.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Whatever he does, I'm sure it will basically be one of his other movies mashed up with Star Trek

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My stance is Star Trek movies have been mostly bad for a long time so whatever. It's not like a successful and good franchise is being handed off to some rando moron. It's not going to get any worse.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Automatic Slim posted:

Watch Crazy Jim from Taxi and then watch Star Trek III. You can’t unsee it.

Counterpoint: John Larroquette's briefest of appearances at the end of III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

My stance is Star Trek movies have been mostly bad for a long time so whatever. It's not like a successful and good franchise is being handed off to some rando moron. It's not going to get any worse.

For years I've been telling myself that this is the low point, that it can't get any worse than _____. You're right of course about the state of things, but it can always get worse. Always.