Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

No Irish Need Imply posted:

How was Velveteen Dream/Orange Cassidy?

I thought they changed that match to something less interesting as soon as it started getting people excited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

No Irish Need Imply posted:

How was Velveteen Dream/Orange Cassidy?

good, not the best match from either that I've seen, but it was a good ME

Ganso Bomb posted:

I thought they changed that match to something less interesting as soon as it started getting people excited?

nah, I think it originally might have been Orange Cassidy/Adam Cole, and they had to pull Cole out because of Vince wanting him on Raw so he couldn't be on the Evolve tour

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

Finlay didn’t get an excursion

I don't know if that is why it feels like he is spinning his wheels, but he really has felt like an afterthought for the last year or more.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

Finlay didn’t get an excursion

Well up that point he got the full experience I think. Then he replaced Matt Sydal in a match due to weed violations in Japan, and NJPW forgot he hadn't been on an excursion yet.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

good, not the best match from either that I've seen, but it was a good ME

nah, I think it originally might have been Orange Cassidy/Adam Cole, and they had to pull Cole out because of Vince wanting him on Raw so he couldn't be on the Evolve tour

Yeah, they both hit their spots and sent the crowd home happy.

Also it was supposed to be Ricochet but he got called up so they decided to just upgrade and give everyone Dream.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Today I learned that in his 11-year career, Yoshi-Hashi has yet to hold any sort of championship. Not even a tag or 6-man championship. What other wrestlers have gone so long since their debut without holding any gold?
Even other career mid-carders, and even many jobbers, I can think of picked up minor titles somewhere along the line before they reached the 10-year mark in their career. So far the only other person I can come up with is Steve Lombardi, who made his debut in 1983 and didn't win a championship anywhere until 1998.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Takuan posted:

Today I learned that in his 11-year career, Yoshi-Hashi has yet to hold any sort of championship. Not even a tag or 6-man championship. What other wrestlers have gone so long since their debut without holding any gold?
Even other career mid-carders, and even many jobbers, I can think of picked up minor titles somewhere along the line before they reached the 10-year mark in their career. So far the only other person I can come up with is Steve Lombardi, who made his debut in 1983 and didn't win a championship anywhere until 1998.

Hillbilly Jim

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

It wasn't that uncommon Japan when titles weren't handed out like candy. Mitso Momota had a middling career and didn't win any titles until 19 years into it.

There is also the greatest pro wrestler of all time, Sakuraba who has never held any championship except winning the UFC Japan tournament.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can somebody explain the Young Lion system in detail? Like where do they begin, what training do they do, is the excursion mandatory, etc.

I've been thinking about guys like gaijins like Juice Robinson, Jay White and David Finlay, did they all have to go through it the same as the Japanese guys? How would Juice's previous experience in WWE have played into it, if at all?

I forget which one but one of those 3 mentioned in either an interview or on commentary at some point that they had the feeling that the gaijin young boys got a bit of an easier treatment by Nagata and Liger and the other dads doing their training. Also I think all 3 of them were young lions while Suzuki-gun were "banished" to Pro Wrestling NOAH so they were probably thankful for that.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Can somebody explain the Young Lion system in detail? Like where do they begin, what training do they do, is the excursion mandatory, etc.

I've been thinking about guys like gaijins like Juice Robinson, Jay White and David Finlay, did they all have to go through it the same as the Japanese guys? How would Juice's previous experience in WWE have played into it, if at all?

1000 pushups, 1000 crunches, 1000 squats before they're allowed to touch the ring every training session is what I've heard a lot. Judging from videos they do a lot of sparring compared to your average wrestling school. I could be very wrong but I think most who enter the NJPW young lion system already have previous wrestling training/experience.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
RE: No title wins.

Did Gangrel ever win anything?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Only our hearts.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

European and Tag champ iirc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

European and Tag champ iirc.

Incorrect, he never won a championship in WWE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangrel_(wrestler)#Championships_and_accomplishments

He was, however, a former Hoodslam Golden Gig champ, arguably more valuable than any WWE title, currently.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's had a surprising number of tag team titles, considering his partners outside of Edge and Christian are nobody I've ever heard much about.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

He's had a surprising number of tag team titles, considering his partners outside of Edge and Christian are nobody I've ever heard much about.

The Blackhearts were pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ov-IVNxf4s

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 20, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Is the American Balloon still alive?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Who is cooler, T. Hawk or T-Hawk?

The latter is wrestling in an indie here in the Philippines (June 30) and I really want to go but it's my brother's birthday......

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

The latter is wrestling in an indie here in the Philippines (June 30) and I really want to go but it's my brother's birthday......

Take your brother to the show as his bday present. Kill two birds with one stone!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FunMerrania posted:

1000 pushups, 1000 crunches, 1000 squats before they're allowed to touch the ring every training session is what I've heard a lot. Judging from videos they do a lot of sparring compared to your average wrestling school. I could be very wrong but I think most who enter the NJPW young lion system already have previous wrestling training/experience.

They actually to my knowledge haven’t picked up many of the “college pro wrestling club” guys like Tanahashi. (A lot of those guys try out for the dojo and get turned down). Most are 18-20 and former high school athletes (wrestling being a big one, naturally). They then get dedicated to wrestling school and helping on shows practically 24/7, including in many cases living at the dojo. It’s not too dissimilar to a sumo stable — learning from the veterans, but probably less errand-running.

When they’re ready, they debut as generic neutral characters - black trunks, simple hair, no real gimmick besides “rookie,” and also a pretty straightforward move set as well. They’ll be tossed in as openers or tag partners in low-card matches on tours.

The excursion is generally for two reasons: one, to get them more experience before coming in full-time; and two, to provide a bridge of time between Young Lion in black trunks and formed character ready to return. Imagine if Jay White had gone from YL mode to Knife Pervert in no time? Would’ve been real weird.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Takaaki Watanabe being completely underwhelming in ROH and then returning to New Japan as EVIL is still one of the most incredible transitions I have ever seen.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Takaaki Watanabe being completely underwhelming in ROH and then returning to New Japan as EVIL is still one of the most incredible transitions I have ever seen.
gives me hope for Kawato :shobon:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

T-Hawk the #STRONGHEARTS member is one of the coolest guys in wrestling and knocks it out of the park any time he gets a singles match (or any match really)

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Remember that Okada/Okato guy from TNA?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lid posted:

Anyone?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lid posted:

Anyone?
If he retired, lives in Japan, and doesn't have any social media how would any of us know

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

He lives in Mongolia doing charity work and helping out the local populace.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Okato --> Okada is the best.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

He did English commentary for a DDT show last year

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EugeneJ posted:

The Blackhearts were pretty cool
Gangrel said that Motoko Baba liked them a lot. They didn't get the title from the Can-Ams, though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

knowing really nothing about him other than spitting on Jim Cornette, why does everyone hate Sami Callihan?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he is a weird gremlin who is proud of ohio. And he stupidly hurt someone very dangerously and sloppily and then used his massive fuckup to "get heat" on twitter and elsewhere and people don't like to be insulted in real life by some dickwad who thinks he is his wrestling character. there might be more stuff. i do not know

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cavauro posted:

he is a weird gremlin who is proud of ohio. And he stupidly hurt someone very dangerously and sloppily and then used his massive fuckup to "get heat" on twitter and elsewhere and people don't like to be insulted in real life by some dickwad who thinks he is his wrestling character. there might be more stuff. i do not know
ohayou!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Cavauro posted:

the baseball bat incident and the proceeding fallout really made me go from "eh sami's just one of a million guys with a dumb edgelord gimmick" to "gently caress that guy"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hayou

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cavauro posted:

truly his biggest crime.

shiksa posted:

the baseball bat incident and the proceeding fallout really made me go from "eh sami's just one of a million guys with a dumb edgelord gimmick" to "gently caress that guy"

but yeah, hitting a dude in the head with a bat and then double down makes him a shithead.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

who'd he hit? was that in TNA?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

who'd he hit? was that in TNA?

Yeah it was Eddie Edwards if I remember right. I only really remember it because I watched the Twitch.tv IMPACT event that was happening at the same Wrestlemania weekend as Matt Riddle's Bloodsport and Joey Janela's Spring Break 2 (so...2018), which had a match between the two building off of the feud that led to the incident and continued beyond.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, he broke Edwards orbital socket or something and then when people called him out, instead of going "yeah, I hosed up, it won't happen again", he went "LOL u mad bro?" and made his gimmick that he was an unsafe worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, he broke Edwards orbital socket or something and then when people called him out, instead of going "yeah, I hosed up, it won't happen again", he went "LOL u mad bro?" and made his gimmick that he was an unsafe worker.

Is that not the exact same thing AJ Styles did when he broke the neck of the guy who killed himself this week