Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yeah a lot of people are upset as this is a really hosed up thing for Netflix to do. Basically trying to make a scene less gay. A lot of gay people loved saw that stuff as their own representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Well, I stand corrected. I had no idea that those were two male characters.. My bad!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Tennessee Cracker Barrel turns away homophobic sherriff's detective and his church group.

This dude is also a pastor, and recently held a sermon calling for the government to start executing LGBTQ people

quote:

Knox County Sheriff Tom Spangler said Fritts would not be fired for his comments, citing a fear of lawsuits. Fritts remains on paid sick leave with the county sheriff's office until he collects his buyout in July.

time to become a deputy and say that the govt should start executing christians by feeding them to lions and get that sweet sweet paid leave and big lump settlement.

what do you mean i would be fired on the spot and possibly killed? what you do you mean the boss agree's with him and not me.

Iron Crowned posted:

Satan is real and cool and strong and my friend

my therapist said satan isnt real and cant help me.

satan: destroying lovely laws daily in the us.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

:goonsay: but I just went and had a listen to it myself, since I didn't speak any Japanese when I watched it back in the 90s, and he never says 恋 (コイ, koi, romantic love), he says 好意 (コウイ, kōi, favor). Japanese subs look like they agree with me. I'm not saying Kaoru wasn't a little gay for Shinji, but that's not what's going on here, it's mostly just that Kaoru speaks like a condescending twat.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m kind of torn: obviously representation is important, but anime was a mistake.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

snergle posted:

my therapist said satan isnt real and cant help me.

satan: destroying lovely laws daily in the us.

Several attendees at a government meeting open to the public in Alaska walked out in protest after an opening prayer praised Satan.

The Associated Press reports the prayer, where a woman declared “Hail Satan,” was given by Satanic Temple member Iris Fontana, who won the right to open the meeting with an invocation of her choice.

“That which will not bend, must break, and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared as demise. It is done, hail Satan,” Fontana said to open the meeting, according to local radio station KSRM

The controversial prayer Tuesday night started the meeting of the Kenai Peninsula Borough and prompted several attendees to exit.

A protest outside the borough’s administration building ensued, drawing 40 or so people.

Fontana was reportedly among one of the plaintiffs in a lawsuit litigated by the ACLU of Alaska against the borough after it approved a policy in 2016 to only allow people belonging to official organizations with an established presence on the Kenai Peninsula to give invocations at meetings.

Last year, the Alaska Supreme Court ruled that the borough policy was unconstitutional and the policy was changed to allow anyone to offer invocations regardless of affiliation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ReidRansom posted:

:goonsay: but I just went and had a listen to it myself, since I didn't speak any Japanese when I watched it back in the 90s, and he never says 恋 (コイ, koi, romantic love), he says 好意 (コウイ, kōi, favor). Japanese subs look like they agree with me. I'm not saying Kaoru wasn't a little gay for Shinji, but that's not what's going on here, it's mostly just that Kaoru speaks like a condescending twat.

I mean that’s how it was in the original so I don’t know why they would fix it in the Netflix only release 20 years later.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Was it police again? It must be police. Again.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s how it was in the original so I don’t know why they would fix it in the Netflix only release 20 years later.

I'd imagine they had to do a new translation and write new subtitles anyway since the original US rights holder, ADV, would still own rights to their subtitles even if they no longer have rights to the work they were attached to. May as well fix up a few problems along the way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

I'd imagine they had to do a new translation and write new subtitles anyway since the original US rights holder, ADV, would still own rights to their subtitles even if they no longer have rights to the work they were attached to. May as well fix up a few problems along the way.

Nope they apparently own the original dub as well. Also the new dub is really, really bad outside that issue. As they did a literal translation which you should never do.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Isn't the whole point that they've only known each other for a few hours but Shinji ends up clicking with Kawaru in a way he's never clicked with anyone else before because he's a clinically depressed social disaster so that makes Kawaru's actual identity far far worse for Shinji?

I get the upset with 'this is not quite as (openly) gay as the original subs had me think' but it's also a re-release of a 20 year old show and even the famously gay surrealist animes from 20 years ago danced around stuff more than you'd get today, like with that one person who worked on Revolutionary Girl Utena who insisted Utena and Anthy were just friends.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nope they apparently own the original dub as well. Also the new dub is really, really bad outside that issue. As they did a literal translation which you should never do.

Oh, well hell in that case I have no idea. Guess they just wanted to do a new bad one to replace the old bad one :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/iC9kGay.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And now they're married!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Oh, well hell in that case I have no idea. Guess they just wanted to do a new bad one to replace the old bad one :shrug:

There is some that think it’s actually the Japanese company that wanted a literal translation and well there is a reason they hire localizers and don’t do it themselves.

So it probably wasn’t done on purpose just high ups making bad decisions.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

CharlestheHammer posted:

netflix dubs and subs are the worst on their live action shows. 3% dark and diablero are all voice acted by the same 5 people and they all suck. The subtitle translations are loving terrible to for dark and diablero atleast. I dont speak portugese but i assume its bad in 3% as well. it sucks because i love all 3 of those shows and i wish their voice acting could be as good as the kingdom but i think thats handled by korean company making it otherwise it would have the same 5 fucks dubbing it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ReidRansom posted:

posting gay anime

"a little gay" lmao

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Shinji and Kaoru were gay as hell and lol if you believe otherwise.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/bfI7DvV.mp4

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Buttigieg is apparently trying to chip votes from Biden

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1142233502257225728?s=19

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

https://m.dw.com/en/german-police-confiscate-4200-liters-of-beer-from-nazis/a-49303945

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

ReidRansom posted:

that feel when you read "removing the gay" as "fixing up problems"

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

ReidRansom posted:

What the gently caress is this? "Original translation said gay, but ADV said gay, so we have to say not gay"?

Seriously what the gently caress are you getting at?

Truga posted:

posting gay anime

"a little gay" lmao

Exactly. gently caress off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/_SamuelLahn/status/1141878929554202625

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Watch this space; the schaden will either be on my employer or on me next weekend as they may or may not have someone to cover my shifts next weekend, and I will not be in town :shepface: I fully expect them to try to gently caress me over on my first attempt to take time off in 6 years.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Shinji and Kaoru were gay as hell and lol if you believe otherwise.

Yeah. Like, you can mute that episode and it's still hella gay. Did they think they were going to reach some untapped demographic of homophobic viewers looking for a 20-year-old giant fighting robot anime chock full of occult references and puberty metaphors?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

gently caress you, go have a juice hall putsch instead

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Phy posted:

gently caress you, go have a juice hall putsch instead

I don’t understand how they’re allowed to assemble, assuming they’re classified as Neo-Nazis in Germany. I thought they had reaaaaaal tight laws about that. Or is it that they’re right-wing and neo-nazi’s but not out as Neo-Nazi’s? Either way it sucks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boywhiz88 posted:

I don’t understand how they’re allowed to assemble, assuming they’re classified as Neo-Nazis in Germany. I thought they had reaaaaaal tight laws about that. Or is it that they’re right-wing and neo-nazi’s but not out as Neo-Nazi’s? Either way it sucks.

I think there’s very specific rules about what is and isn’t banned (so very German) so you can openly run a Neo-Nazi group through loopholes and toeing the line.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

chitoryu12 posted:

I think there’s very specific rules about what is and isn’t banned (so very German) so you can openly run a Neo-Nazi group through loopholes and toeing the line.

Like the AfD or police.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Boywhiz88 posted:

Basically what Chitoryu said. These aren't Swastika-waving, Sieg-heiling Neonazis like the ones Trump thinks are very fine people. These are Neonazis that have to use off-brand, non-verboten flags in public, and can only sieg-heil very quietly behind closed doors.

gschmidl posted:

Like the AfD or police.

:lol:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sound on for this one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/By8clYhnCXP/?igshid=1nr6oaunrj1g3

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB81Sxh9Kys

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Truga posted:

posting gay anime

"a little gay" lmao

Queen Combat posted:

What the gently caress is this? "Original translation said gay, but ADV said gay, so we have to say not gay"?

Seriously what the gently caress are you getting at?

Exactly. gently caress off.

sunken fleet posted:

that feel when you read "removing the gay" as "fixing up problems"

Good loving grief, you dorks.

I don't care that they were gay, I don't think gayness is a problem that needs to be translated away, but neither is everyone some sort of emotionally blind autist that needs things laid out as explicitly as you three apparently do. Yes, they were super gay for each other, that was always apparent even if the original series merely left all the blowing each other to your imaginations. I'm just saying the few minutes of the new translation aren't as bad as you're all making out. They're still very gay for each other, but now Kaoru is appropriately twatty as well in that few minutes I watched.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1141405398131453954

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1136317986778824704

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1132345645824712705

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Good loving grief, you dorks.

I don't care that they were gay, I don't think gayness is a problem that needs to be translated away, but neither is everyone some sort of emotionally blind autist that needs things laid out as explicitly as you three apparently do. Yes, they were super gay for each other, that was always apparent even if the original series merely left all the blowing each other to your imaginations. I'm just saying the few minutes of the new translation aren't as bad as you're all making out. They're still very gay for each other, but now Kaoru is appropriately twatty as well in that few minutes I watched.

Lol the translation literally erases all the subtext and recontextualizes it which is why so many gay people are upset.

Words mean stuff my dude

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/IA7r3Xj.gifv

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that poor fiesta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster