Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
honestly wondering which gloves you were wearing when you hit this pothole. Hard to pin a direct causal relationship, but I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Aww yiss. My E46 finally got here yesterday.

Lots of weird PO stuff inside, some that I'm gonna remove when I have the time (like the Viper aftermarket alarm :smithicide:) and some that I'm just gonna leave there (M3 paddle shifters on the wheel for some reason). It's all super stock and clean on the outside and in the engine bay though, which is nice, obviously.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

RillAkBea posted:

Aww yiss. My E46 finally got here yesterday.

Lots of weird PO stuff inside, some that I'm gonna remove when I have the time (like the Viper aftermarket alarm :smithicide:) and some that I'm just gonna leave there (M3 paddle shifters on the wheel for some reason). It's all super stock and clean on the outside and in the engine bay though, which is nice, obviously.

Looks sharp.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/d/bainbridge-island-2003-bmw-z4-30i/6918194387.html

Terrible idea? I'd only drive it 2500ish miles/year. I just want something decent I can put the top down in, I understand it's not a great car.

Not afraid of catching up on control arm/bushings and other suspension components, or consumables. Waiting to hear back on age of clutch and tires.

I don't know anything about the M54B30. Can someone school me?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

blk posted:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/d/bainbridge-island-2003-bmw-z4-30i/6918194387.html

Terrible idea? I'd only drive it 2500ish miles/year. I just want something decent I can put the top down in, I understand it's not a great car.

Not afraid of catching up on control arm/bushings and other suspension components, or consumables. Waiting to hear back on age of clutch and tires.

I don't know anything about the M54B30. Can someone school me?

The M54 is a mildly updated M52. New intake, switched to electronic only throttle, no fuel return, and some other minor things. Still an aluminum head and block with steel liners.

Honestly it’s a very robust engine. It was also used in the X5 at the time so it’s built to handle much heavier duty than a roadster. It has a disappointingly low redline and the power and torque are not on bar with even slightly more modern BMW sixers.

As long as it’s been maintained it should be fine.

Check the cooling system thoroughly though.

Edit: according to Wikipedia it won Ward’s worlds best engine award for three consecutive years post release.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A M54 makes similar power to a S52, except it has a LOT more down low and drops off like a thousand RPM earlier.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Pretty much what the others said. You'll want to know the last time the coolant system parts were changed, if PO doesn't have records assume you may need to change them in your first year of ownership.

It's a VANOS engine. Not really anything to mess with until you start hearing the rattle, unless you like to do preventative work in that case there are very good solutions available online.

You'll want to make sure the top is in good working condition, and that the fabric/window are good. Tops are a lot of $ to replace.

Everything on the car and engine will be heavily documented online with guides/pictures/youtubes for whatever needs to be done. If you're capable, you can fix anything on it yourself.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The base model head unit in those sucks rear end for connecting a phone to.

Tons of torque

Bad cupholders

Bad visibility in front of you because of the hood. Like trying not to hit parking spot blocks.

It's a good car though? People rationalized the z3 as being a fancy miata and the 3.0 z4 was like a convertible not-quite m3

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

hifi posted:

3.0 z4 was like a convertible not-quite m3
fortunately the z4m roadster exists for when you want that :v:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I wanna Z8. Unfortunately, my low-hanging-fruit tactic of buying six to ten year old maintenance-nightmare cars (850Ci, M6) doesn't work with Z8's. Those fuckers are still >$130 large. That's as much as a brand-new 850.

Seriously, look at this poo poo

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Made a friend at the airport today:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

The M54 is a mildly updated M52. New intake, switched to electronic only throttle, no fuel return, and some other minor things. Still an aluminum head and block with steel liners.

Honestly it’s a very robust engine. It was also used in the X5 at the time so it’s built to handle much heavier duty than a roadster. It has a disappointingly low redline and the power and torque are not on bar with even slightly more modern BMW sixers.

As long as it’s been maintained it should be fine.

Check the cooling system thoroughly though.

Edit: according to Wikipedia it won Ward’s worlds best engine award for three consecutive years post release.

Ugh, I forgot about BMW's disposable cooling systems. Replacement looks like a pain in the rear end.

Radiator was last done 5 years ago, water pump 3 years ago. Time to replace again?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

blk posted:

Ugh, I forgot about BMW's disposable cooling systems. Replacement looks like a pain in the rear end.

Radiator was last done 5 years ago, water pump 3 years ago. Time to replace again?

No they are probably fine.

Yes the cooling systems are a weak point and something to keep an eye on as a point of failure, but the internet completely blows it out of proportion. If you believed the internet you’d be replacing it on a biannual basis, which is just ridiculous.

My E46 M54 is almost 120k miles and it has had its water pump and hoses replaced once, recently after 100k miles.

Years ago I had an old Ford Taurus that had a shittier cooling system than that.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 23, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Rule of thumb for oem water pump/thermostat is 80k miles from what I've seen.

If you go with aftermarket parts you may only have to do it once. The plastic propeller in the water pump is the problem.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

blk posted:

Depends on the pump used. If it’s oem then expect to do it again in a few years. If it’s aftermarket with a metal impeller you should be fine for a long time.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Are you making GBS threads me right now with this page 1000 action? Gonna brighten this up:

My twin unicorn wagons (at least in the States) -- manual white and perfectly optioned. Dunno yet what I'm going to do with the E46.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So loving good oh my god

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My Dad is giving me his e46 wagon next month and I cannot wait, need to get some wheels for it though.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Stardotstar posted:

Are you making GBS threads me right now with this page 1000 action? Gonna brighten this up:

My twin unicorn wagons (at least in the States) -- manual white and perfectly optioned. Dunno yet what I'm going to do with the E46.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT8GvXSZf2w

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Popete posted:

My Dad is giving me his e46 wagon next month and I cannot wait, need to get some wheels for it though.

Kosei K1s are what's on the E46. Ubiquitous track wheel, and cheap enough that I have a set for snow and a set for summer.

Will play loud with the windows down on the way to preschool with the kids. Apparently Electric Six will be in town in two weeks.

Does anyone ITT know about tuning options for an NA E90? I'm about to get the 3-stage manifold thing done to the 328i and apparently it's best matched with a tune.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I am about to buy a VW for my wife, start dailying a Honda, and divest in an E30.

Truly, the world is ending. Anyone want to buy a 1991 318i?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Stardotstar posted:

Kosei K1s are what's on the E46. Ubiquitous track wheel, and cheap enough that I have a set for snow and a set for summer.

Will play loud with the windows down on the way to preschool with the kids. Apparently Electric Six will be in town in two weeks.

Does anyone ITT know about tuning options for an NA E90? I'm about to get the 3-stage manifold thing done to the 328i and apparently it's best matched with a tune.

I bought the active autowerke one, and paid extra for the odbii flash tool, which worked well when I changed cars. I paid a bit more to unlock the tool for the new car. (Yes I did this whole thing twice.)

I think there are a couple other vendors, E90post.com would have more recent info. That said, the sales guy and tech at active autowerke were very responsive.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Probably won't get my car back until Wednesday as they're waiting on parts. So dumb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you had a Tesla, you'd be waiting six months for parts, so it's not that bad.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So the lease does on M340s is insane. Fully loaded $67k car for less than $600/mo with no drive off.

What is going on with BMW right now?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
accounting on the 3 series leases has always been fake

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Someone offered me a McLaren 570s today for £800/mo nothing down lol

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I’m on a 340 lease right now and they are offering five month pullahead and $3750 on top of current incentives and discounts. My payment would be like $480. I’m kinda at a loss for why I shouldn’t do it other than no manual and that loving grill. 382hp sounds nice though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bape Culture posted:

Looking forward to pics of your new McLaren.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

Looking forward to pics of your new McLaren.

Seriously if that wasn’t just a pre-brexit panic thing limited to the land of tea and crumpets I’d be looking for that deal myself.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Looking forward to pics of your new McLaren in a hedge

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I will say that with all of this time away from my car thinking about things I want to do that I'm strongly considering drilling holes for a roof rack instead of going with the hitch mount.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Do newer BMWs not have fixed point mounts? Drilling the roof sounds terrible...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, is the transfer case really a 25000 mile wear item on F41s? Or are the lemon owners just particularly loud online?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Guinness posted:

Carbon roof thing?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

They still do. BMW neglected to include holes to access them on f8x cars with the carbon fiber roof. So you do it yourself.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ohhhh right carbon roof.

Hilarious that the points are still there under it, and accessible by drilling. Kind of a dick move there, BMW.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

They still do. BMW neglected to include holes to access them on f8x cars with the carbon fiber roof. So you do it yourself.

:chanpop:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Guinness posted:

Ohhhh right carbon roof.

Hilarious that the points are still there under it, and accessible by drilling. Kind of a dick move there, BMW.

I assume they are just part of the body and BMW figured people who can afford a new BMW with the carbon roof won't want a dumb roof rack. And the dudebro who buys it used later, won't care about drilling into the roof to put on his wicked sick roof rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Bape Culture posted:

Put an LS in it