Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm a little bit behind new episodes, so I'll talk about things I noticed.

Episode 9: If you approach the Grumble Bear in winter, it'll be asleep to start the fight.
Episode 10: Caffeinated Inhaler helps a lot against Ebeezil. I honestly like to run away from Sleeping Demons at this point.
Nothing I can really point out in Episode 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I like how they build up all that tension and a sense of genuine unease and then it's just

hey

welcome to the spooky ghost mall

wwwOOOOoooOOOo

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I was filled with dread when I realized the only way forward was pushing Jonathon into the furnace.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Whispering Valley and Turnbuckle's Mansion Enemies
Bramble Bush will sometimes just watch you without attacking. You can steal its brambles to turn it into a Scriff Tribesman.
Scriff Tribesmen think they're clever hiding in Bramble Bushes, but they get scratched up pretty bad from all of the brambles.

Cavalry can bite you for 125% physical damage. If it trots in place, it will rampage next turn, dealing 150% physical damage three times.
Before working for Turnbuckle, Cavalry were placed outside of the toybox in order to guard the better toys.

Jack-in-a-crate takes half damage from all attacks in its base form, and will use its first turn choosing its form for the rest of the battle. As a ghoul, it can deal physical damage to one or all party members. As a jester, it can deal magical damage with fire or ice. If it starts chanting, it will hit the entire party with fire, dealing 150% magical damage. If it flexes as a strongman, it will slam into a party member, dealing 250% physical damage.
One time, a Jack-in-a-Crate had to sit by a road for three weeks before it could hop out and surprise a passerby.
(I can't currently find a sprite of the jester form. Maybe later.)

Pollyanna can attack with weird mind powers, inflicting Startled. If her head turns around 360 degrees, she will use Mind Control on a party member, making them randomly attack the party for three turns. Startling her will break the effect early. You can steal Dolly from her. She will only appear in the segment where you break through the barricade, and for a limited window in Turnbuckle's Mansion, between finding the doll to play hide and seek and stitching it back up, the only time in the Mansion where you fight random encounters. This makes her Dolly the closest thing to an item you can miss forever; if you don't get it now, you won't get another chance for a while.
Pollyanna sometimes use their telekenetic powers to make hairbrushes comb through their hair. When they close their eyes, it almost feels like a little girl is brushing their hair.

Gift Box takes half damage from all attacks. It will throb on its first turn and open on the second, sacrificing itself to either bomb everyone and deal magical damage to the party, hit one party member with a boxing glove for 300% physical damage, gas everyone and inflict Sick and Immunodeficiency, or release ghosts to make everyone Afraid.
Gift Boxes are freely given between the toys of Turnbuckle's mansion. They provide cruel tricks to outsiders, but, if they're presented to a friend, they can contain thoughtful gifts.

Bosses
Turnbuckle starts his fight with two Gift Boxes, and can either counter physical attacks or reflect magical attacks if any remain on the field. The Gift Boxes will detonate on their second turn, and after a few turns he will revive them and start their cycle over. On his own, he can attack physically or with mind powers, inflicting magical damage and Startled. If his eyes glow, he'll use mind powers on the whole party the next turn.

50's Style Vampire can suck blood to leech physical damage from all party members. If he grouses about today's sexy vampires, he'll attack a party member with dark magic and deal 400% magical damage. Halfway through the fight, he'll turn Ethereal, gaining 75% physical resistance and changing his moveset. While Ethereal, he can attack the whole party with magical darkness, and leech from the whole party at the cost of losing Ethereal. If he cackles while Ethereal, he will either attack with 400% magical or reflect all magic the following turn.

FURNITURE UPDATE
Futuristic Set (+5 MAT)
-Mainframe (+1 MAT): Capable of serious computing. Buy from Ms. Robin in Blood Marsh.
-Quince-3 (+1 DEF): Your very own robotic butler. Buy from Ms. Robin in Blood Marsh.
-Hologram (+1 MDF): Creates an image in 3-D space. Buy from Ms. Robin in Ashby's.
-Containment Pod (+1 LUK): The ooze has been power washed out. Buy from Ms. Robin in Ashby's.

Girly Set (???)
-Dolly (+2 MAT): Sometimes its head turns to follow your movement. Steal from Dolly in Whispering Valley/Turnbuckle's Mansion.
-???
-???
-???
-???

Spooky Set (???)
-Screaming Face (+3 MAT): The constant screaming is more annoying than scary. Found in the Abyss beneath Blood Marsh.
-Jack O'Lantern (+3 MDF): Just like the one you carved for Halloween! Found in Turnbuckle's Mansion.
-Severed Hand (+3 LUK): Every time you look at it, it seems to move closer. Bought from ??? in Ashby's.
-Slaughter Table (+3 AGI): Not perfect for any dinner at all. Found in Blood Marsh.
-???
-???

Would you like me to repeat that?

Solitair fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 16, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

GrandmaParty posted:

Commentary On

No Commentary

At first, I thought the chef was the Gregory Horror Show one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmGrKuvsQE8

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm glad you ended the episode at that exact part, for Reasons.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That kid Dracula sprite is adorable, but also I hate everything else that happened in that episode.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 20, 2019

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
So, you got a handie from a mirror in a dirt mall changing room. Jimmy's...Jimmy's got issues.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

AltaBrown posted:

So, you got a handie from a mirror in a dirt mall changing room. Jimmy's...Jimmy's got issues.

jimmy seems like the kind of kid who got lost in the Bad Mall and had an unfortunate encounter with some weird bathroom salesman

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

The portrait of baby Jimmy with the turnbuckle doll at the back of the mansion is absolutely adorable. I wonder where he got that toy though because it's kind of creepy. ...But I mean so is Jonathon Bear.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I watched the first episode of this let's play, then went and beat the game myself in like four days. Whoof. This game is incredible. RPGmaker earthboundish games seem to put a lot of emphasis on atmosphere, and I'd say that's one of the things this game does best. I'm super jazzed about the rest of the LP.

e: Seriously, I can't stop thinking about how well this game takes childhood fear and translates it to jrpg form. It is SO GOOD.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 21, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way GrandmaParty what's your discord? I don't have plat so can't IM you. Or message me, I'm
BioEnchanted#9493

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way GrandmaParty what's your discord? I don't have plat so can't IM you. Or message me, I'm
BioEnchanted#9493

I'm Grandma#3013

:D Yay! You get a fun one.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is BioEnchanted doing the upcoming episode? "Fun" is certainly one way of putting it....

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 15 is up!

Bioenchanted crosses the pond to comment on the first episode of Jimmy where I think it's a little heavy-handed.

But once we get past the boss, things get loving great again. I'm excited for Everchip.

Oh, and it's not a hillbilly bear. It's a raccoon. Whoops.

Commentary On

No Commentary

Thread, rise from the grave!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hey remember when I posted this:

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'd argue that another part of the early game is even more horrifying than this. At least it was to me.
Because I was talking about this dungeon. It stuck with me for a good couple of days. It was the point in Jimmy where the mask slipped off enough that I couldn't look at it in the same way that I had up to that point. The way the cute TV show animals turn into twisted mutations is especially scary.

This dungeon is an incredibly effective creative touch by Kasey.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 24, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hey remember when I posted this:

Because I was talking about this dungeon. It stuck with me for a good couple of days. It was the point in Jimmy where the mask slipped off enough that I couldn't look at it in the same way that I had up to that point. It's an incredibly effective creative touch by Kasey.

See, I thought this one was a little heavy-handed. While the bees were a source of dread, this was a little too over-the-top for me.

The TV show opener? Fantastic.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do you ever get a way to revisit areas? Cause it looked like there was a path beyond Johnathan's boss room.

As for TV hellworld one thing I would change would be the monkey and skunk. The porcupine and raccoon turning into realistic hosed up animals is more effective than green goop skunk and headless monkey imo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

See, I thought this one was a little heavy-handed. While the bees were a source of dread, this was a little too over-the-top for me.

The TV show opener? Fantastic.

it's mostly because the idea itself is kind of trite, imo. "cute kid's show being FULL OF DARKNESS" is well-trod ground

the intermediary area, where the stage sets turn into actual woods and the animals are all red-eyed silhouettes that quietly laugh at you, is considerably more eerie than the blood n' guts jamboree of the end stage

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

So this is the part of the game that tripped me up a bit. Up until now I was paying close attention to the color of the exclamation points you get before random encounters, and in most areas it would only take one or two levels to make them all green, so that's what I did, except in GAMM-E's ship for obvious reasons. Not so here; I gained four levels before I decided to fight Jonathon already, and then I sped through all the main events in Everchip with barely any resistance, and without seeing a red exclamation point.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do you ever get a way to revisit areas? Cause it looked like there was a path beyond Johnathan's boss room.

Yeah, there's one last toy box there and you can't get it for a bit. Jonathon could have let us have it if he really wanted to be our friend, but he kidnaps our real friend, Matt McMuscles, instead. What a jerk.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 24, 2019

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
reiteration of "gently caress that bear"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You can use the Clubhouse to return to previous areas.

Oxxidation posted:

it's mostly because the idea itself is kind of trite, imo. "cute kid's show being FULL OF DARKNESS" is well-trod ground

the intermediary area, where the stage sets turn into actual woods and the animals are all red-eyed silhouettes that quietly laugh at you, is considerably more eerie than the blood n' guts jamboree of the end stage
Cliche aside, I still think it was done really well. The last area devolves into body horror in much the same way as the beehive did. There's a reason for that, don't worry.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

As for TV hellworld one thing I would change would be the monkey and skunk. The porcupine and raccoon turning into realistic hosed up animals is more effective than green goop skunk and headless monkey imo.

I'll be damned if I ever leave a piece of treasure behind. :colbert:

We'll go back and get it when we can.

Oxxidation posted:

That area definitely felt more like the beehive. The glowy eyes animals definitely conveyed a sense of "You don't belong here" more than the "Just to get a disturbing reaction" animals.

The last area devolves into body horror in much the same way as the beehive did. There's a reason for that, don't worry.

Oh poo poo. Now I'm stoked.

Everchip is pretty fun and we have some fun sequences coming up, even if one part goes on for a little bit long.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
The music in Jonathan's area, "Terminal Broadcast", is what I find the most unsettling about the area aside from Molly's transformation from ennui-eyed cartoon to late night drunk-vision raccoon; the acoustic guitar and Mellotron flutes give the opposite vibe here from their presence in Smile's theme, and then you have that odd mechanical noise cutting in and out that sounds like a demonic tape reel rolling. There's also some real impressive FM synth stuff going on here and in a couple of later tracks; Ozymy used Reason to compose Jimmy's soundtrack, and it's incredibly difficult to make Reason's FM synth implementation do what you want compared to some of the other types of synthesis you have at hand.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I really like how this game handles music with lyrics. You can totally hear the songs in your head.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Leroy Dennui posted:

The music in Jonathan's area, "Terminal Broadcast", is what I find the most unsettling about the area aside from Molly's transformation from ennui-eyed cartoon to late night drunk-vision raccoon; the acoustic guitar and Mellotron flutes give the opposite vibe here from their presence in Smile's theme, and then you have that odd mechanical noise cutting in and out that sounds like a demonic tape reel rolling. There's also some real impressive FM synth stuff going on here and in a couple of later tracks; Ozymy used Reason to compose Jimmy's soundtrack, and it's incredibly difficult to make Reason's FM synth implementation do what you want compared to some of the other types of synthesis you have at hand.

I showed Kasey this on his discord and he blushed and giggled a bit.

I'm busy yelling at him that he needs to get a publisher and a switch deal for this game because he didn't market it at all.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Sadly since it's RPG maker it will be a pain in the rear end to port it to console.

It's possible, but a nightmare.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
"You'll never love anyone as much as he loves you" is a perfect line for a gaslighting friend like Jonathon Bear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is still all just in jimmy's head, so jonathon's rage and attachment issues are borne out of jimmy's guilt over shoplifting him

the kid still wears j.b.'s merch for crying out loud, having to constantly lie about how he got his most treasured toy was probably eating him up inside

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
One of my friends who streamed this game had a great observation about this section. You lose Buck at the same time Jimmy has to confront his guilt in front of his Mom and he wakes up in a relatively familiar, comforting place. I feel like you could argue that this is Jimmy's brain trying to lose itself in something less stressful.

Then again I could just be projecting because videogames were totally an escapism thing for me as a kid.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

Oh poo poo. Now I'm stoked.
Another thing I said earlier in the thread that every design choice is deliberately related to the plot, you just have to find out what that reason is. There have been small hints here and there, but nothing too obvious.

Oxxidation posted:

this is still all just in jimmy's head, so jonathon's rage and attachment issues are borne out of jimmy's guilt over shoplifting him

the kid still wears j.b.'s merch for crying out loud, having to constantly lie about how he got his most treasured toy was probably eating him up inside
Also worth noting: so far, all of Jimmy's fears have been found in small, easy-to-miss corners of his mind. Confronting his fear of small spaces and of dying in his sleep are completely optional. But confronting his greatest shame of stealing a Jonathon Bear toy is mandatory. It's a great way of saying that it weighs more on his conscience than anything else, at least so far.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

thevoiceofdog posted:

One of my friends who streamed this game had a great observation about this section. You lose Buck at the same time Jimmy has to confront his guilt in front of his Mom and he wakes up in a relatively familiar, comforting place. I feel like you could argue that this is Jimmy's brain trying to lose itself in something less stressful.

Then again I could just be projecting because videogames were totally an escapism thing for me as a kid.

You raise an interesting point: Helga is absolutely despondent (and it was foreshadowed by her saying that she'd be absolutely despondent if she lost one of her boys).

But everyone just completely brushes over Buck's disappearance like they forgot about him as soon as the next thing (Lars) comes around.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
This story is from the perspective of an 8 year old and it shows most strongly in this section. Stealing a toy, and then extensively lying about it, is the most terrible sin in the world. This crime is eating Jimmy up from the inside, and Grim Echoes manifests this guilt into literal forms. With this context, it makes sense that Helga is more upset about this revelation than she is about her other son going missing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

IIRC if you steal Jonathan's stitching before he hits 40% HP then he instantly becomes enraged.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Leroy Dennui posted:

FM synthesis is goddamn voodoo. I made the mistake of buying a Yamaha DX27 with a broken display, not that it matters because the display is only like 8 characters anyway, so you still have to hope for the best when programming the ops. Plus it's only a 4-op synth, which means it only has 4 frequency waves to play with. Its beefier brother, the DX7, is a 6-op synth.

So, the deal with FM is that you're using frequency modulation (not "loving magic," which is what I tend to call it) to affect sound waves ("carrier waves") with other waves ("modulation waves"), which may or may not be audible. This can cause emergent waves, called sidebands, which have even more unusual properties. You can also route the modulators so that you have multiple modulators affecting one carrier, or chain them, or otherwise mangle your input. It tends to create rich, resonant sounds, like bells, basses, or choral "vocal" tones.

If you ever heard that the Sega Genesis sound chip was hard to program on, that's because it's FM. Which is also why Genesis music has that distinctive sound, and why Genesis composers were able to come up with such innovative tunes.

There's other methods of synthesizing sounds. Subtractive synthesis takes a frequency and then modulates or chips away at it to craft sounds. Graintable synthesis starts with basically a chart of sound fragments that you can then modulate.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

To be honest, I kind of like the absurd escalation because it feels like a deliberate projection on Jimmy's part. The friendly environment in the beginning is still upsetting to Jimmy because he knows what he did, but he can't articulate why it's upsetting or everyone else will know what he did too. But if everything looks scary, that's okay, because it makes sense for scary-looking things to be scary! And Jimmy has his tough older brother to protect him from scary stuff, too!

Well, until he doesn't.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I just bought this game so I'm gonna have to skip the rest of this LP. But don't worry, the LP is the reason I bought it in the first place so thanks for the preview of what's to come.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

I just bought this game so I'm gonna have to skip the rest of this LP. But don't worry, the LP is the reason I bought it in the first place so thanks for the preview of what's to come.
You're making the right decision. I watched a Twitch stream from the GAMM-E spaceship to Legato, which was about 15 minutes of the game, before deciding I needed to buy and play this for myself.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i'm staying a few updates ahead of grandma party right now. game is good!

losing buck sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Game's too good. The LP is dying.

As an fyi, we're probably about thirty-three to forty percent through the game.