Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

MetaJew posted:

Rotas will literally explode and kill your wife and the next three generations of your family. Or at least that's what the car forums used to say 10-15 years ago.

Really depends on what rep it is, a 15" five spoke should be fine for a DD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They are fine if you run correctly sized tyres and don't drive like you're on a race track on pot hole filled public roads.

Given the type of people who post on car forums you can imagine why there is a lot of complaints of failures.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Guys. I love these. :allears:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u284932198?fbclid=IwAR3QiWXXRZQ0yAaYXn90uiECheB5VZZ76Qtj8LThueUD0YldP26cBnm1_qE

TINT, A fashionable way for an exhilarating leisure!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That screams Honda Acty

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My sources say the death penalty is being considered for three spoke wheel owners. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

My sources say the death penalty is being considered for three spoke wheel owners. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this.

Your sources are sad and should learn to enjoy life more.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Yep, I think I figured out what wheels I want on my MR2. Now to find them...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Your sources are sad and should learn to enjoy life more.

its a parody of an infamous tweet but three point wheels are loving awful

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BraveUlysses posted:

Wrong

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

I just posted :krad: wheels right there which disprove that point though...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've never been one for three spokes. They can look good, but anything they look good on has a better looking alternative. Maybe I can be proven wrong, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There are definitely lovely 3 spokes out there, same as any number of spokes though. IMO, lovely 3 spokes:

Cool 3 spokes that work with the car they're attached to:

I think they're a lot harder to get 'right' in terms of outright design and indeed making them work on a car. Let me just say here I've never actually been that much of a fan of 3 spokes until I saw a set of Advan sa3r in a decent size with proper dish and offset. And that offset can have a dramatic effect on wheels to the point where it will make cool wheels look poo poo, same with sizing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, yes, yes, no, no

3 spoke wheels are 15.4% good

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

3 spoke wheels are 15.4% good

This would make 19.5 spoke wheels 100.1% good.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 26, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A worthy username/post combo.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

IMO, lovely 3 spokes:

These are actually fine if they're on a body dropped hardbody or something.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Bruh.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Somebody made a 3pc homage to the Viper wheels recently

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah the car looks fantastic but the wheels are the worst of the soft curve 90s fad that afflicted so much of the industry, they're the only bad point about the car and luckily are an easily solved problem :v:

dphi posted:

These are actually fine if they're on a body dropped hardbody or something.

Allowable on period minitrucks but again these fall under the 'depending on car' thing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

three point wheels are loving awful

:v::hf::v:

3 spokes: not even once

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Suburban Dad posted:

:v::hf::v:

3 spokes: not even once

if you can't gently caress with 3 spokes on a saab you have bad taste

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Saab had 3 spoke done right from the SPG to the last mediocre car they made.

Klingons

Gary Fishers

Turbo X

All tight as hell.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you can't gently caress with 3 spokes on a saab you have bad taste

Change my mind. :colbert:

Mcqueen posted:

Saab had 3 spoke done right from the SPG to the last mediocre car they made.

Klingons

Gary Fishers

Turbo X

All tight as hell.

Last is a stretch to be "3 spoke". Even then I can't say I like any of them.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Howdy Y'all - I'm looking to upgrade my wheels when I next need tires, sometime in the next 6 months. I'm currently 5x100 17" OEM's, Toyota, and I'd like to go 18" in the style like this:

I'm not married to brand or color, I'll probably have them painted (unless they come in red). Any suggestions? These are 'DTM-style' and I can find them in <18" sizes. Is there a better name for wheels that are mostly solid, as opposed to mostly spindley?

TIA

netwerk23 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 28, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thems is rally style. Mostly solid for strength. OZ and Sparco make the replica stuff (they make real ones as well, but most of what you'll see are style wheels), Method and Braid make the real stuff. The real ones are going to be smaller on purpose because they're designed for rally gravel tires and smaller packaged brakes (think 15-16") but they offer some larger stuff. I'm sure there are others for both categories, but those are the names I know.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 28, 2019

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

um excuse me posted:

Thems is rally style. Mostly solid for strength. OZ and Sparco make the replica stuff (they make real ones as well, but most of what you'll see are style wheels), Method and Braid make the real stuff. The real ones are going to be smaller on purpose because they're designed for rally gravel tires and smaller packaged brakes (think 15-16") but they offer some larger stuff. I'm sure there are others for both categories, but those are the names I know.
Thanks!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

netwerk23 posted:

Howdy Y'all - I'm looking to upgrade my wheels when I next need tires, sometime in the next 6 months. I'm currently 5x100 17" OEM's, Toyota, and I'd like to go 18" in the style like this:

I'm not married to brand or color, I'll probably have them painted (unless they come in red). Any suggestions? These are 'DTM-style' and I can find them in <18" sizes. Is there a better name for wheels that are mostly solid, as opposed to mostly spindley?

TIA

Are you made of money?
https://fifteen52.com/collections/forged-wheels/products/forged-3pc-evo-sc?variant=4138323585
Or: https://fifteen52.com/collections/cast-wheels/products/integrale-ss?variant=14352362438722, if you're not.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went on alibaba and found this.

Apparently they'll make you just about anything you want. If you pay them extra they'll even make sure they don't explode :shrug:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Why would they use smaller brakes on a rally car? I’d think with how much hard braking is in rallying you would still want nice big brakes. Or is there a plus side to smaller ones?

Do real rally Subarus use 16” still? I think the WRX and STI are up to 17 or 18 now from the factory.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I’ll let someone competent answer properly, but my take would be that sidewall height is given priority to brakes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I get weird targeted ads on instagram and those weird wheels popped up. Iegit want those heart ones... Some boutique US company I stumbled across last week makes them at a cost of like $600 a corner.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It was a group N regulation. The brakes were more than up to task for it, though. Gravel doesn't transfer as much energy to brakes since 1.) You had less traction so you required less force and 2.) You use the steering wheel for a lot of speed reduction since slip angles are higher than any other motorsport except maybe drifting. Also the tire sidewalls are actually part of the suspension. You run lower pressures than tarmac tires and let the sidewalls take a considerable amount of the hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I74uopkcro

Also the current STI is up to 19 inch wheels for the S207 and S209 package. There is proof 20s will fit, as well.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 30, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Edit/Quote Mixup

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why would they use smaller brakes on a rally car? I’d think with how much hard braking is in rallying you would still want nice big brakes. Or is there a plus side to smaller ones?

Do real rally Subarus use 16” still? I think the WRX and STI are up to 17 or 18 now from the factory.

The rules for actual stuff is that 15x7 is the wheel size for gravel, and 18x8 for tarmac.

I'm not an expert on actual use on gravel but looking at actual hardware, I'm not sure gravel is actually that much easier on brakes than tarmac. At the pro level the discs are as wide as will fit, water cooled calipers and water spray is common, etc.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Powershift posted:

That's the style I am looking for but wheels from Alibaba spook me as much as buying sex toys and medical devices does.
Nevertheless - do you recall a link to that one?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

netwerk23 posted:

That's the style I am looking for but wheels from Alibaba spook me as much as buying sex toys and medical devices does.
Nevertheless - do you recall a link to that one?

You can get your own brand stamped on it. I would imagine half of the custom wheels you see on the road come from the same factory. Hell, look at all the escalade rims cracking, they might even be better than factory. My only personal worry is all the cool designs i want wouldn't leave much material if they were drilled to 5x127.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/The-mirror-effect-20-inch-shining_60768320099.html?spm=a2700.details.maylikehoz.1.4f234043zgle6f

https://i.imgur.com/uA0BTqb.mp4

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We're rapidly approaching turbofan style wheels which, if functional, are objectively cool along with rare and historic.

Maybe possibly the best known example:

Also a road example with a more well known BBS RS with original turbofan covers:

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 2, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I did see a set of extremely similar ones somewhere in my 4000 pages of wheel links. It seems no matter what word you put in front of "car wheels" on alibaba, you get a whole different collection of wheels.

I've seen like 50 sets that i would love on my car and around 1000 i would put on the car of somebody i don't like.

And don't even get me started on steering wheels.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol when did you get your new av Poweshift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

Apparently they'll make you just about anything you want. If you pay them extra they'll even make sure they don't explode :shrug:

I saw a new Civic sitting on some wheels that looked very similar to these yesterday, with a nice drop. It looked good.